Help me find the right distro, Jow Forums

Help me find the right distro, Jow Forums.
I'm a wintard and I've had enough, I want to try Linux now. Recommend me a good distro for a beginner. It shouldn't be _too_ beginner friendly though (meaning super restrictive and holding your hand all the time) as I also want to learn and understand how Linux works. On the other hand, it shouldn't be too autistic to set up. I've read a bit and I think Manjaro, openSUSE and Solus sound good. What's your opinion on those?
>inb4 gentoo

Attached: dsadsadasd.jpg (1600x978, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vbvIn3fHZi0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just use Ubuntu and interact with it almost entirely via bash (or zsh, fish, etc.).

> Inb4

If you knew the correct answer why ask? /s
A version of Manjaro with "architect" installation if you manage it would be good, use the arch wiki sreach not google

openSUSE tumbleweed, it can hold your hand if you want (yast) but if you want to get anything done you will need to use the konsole.

As for linux in general, install libvirt, virt-manager, kvm and qemu to make a virtual machine and install gentoo on it as an exercise, install LFS later if you feel like can do it.

Linux mint cinnamon. First and final redpill.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-12 19-37-07.png (1920x1080, 2.53M)

>/s

after distro hopping for a while i settled on opensuse and openbox
it just werks, my de is nice but i mostly just use bash through terminator
probably start on like gnome though because it's a bit easier to use than openbox (yes gnome is heavy but who fucking cares)

>fisher price icon theme
>desktop shortcuts
>bold font panel

haha no thanks

Use Ubuntu until it annoys you. By that time you should have some idea of what you want to switch to. I use Debian and it just werks for me.

Trust me dude, you won't like Linux, its a fucking meme. Folder organization on Linux is retarded and have fun not having access to a lot of games or programs because no one made a version for Linux

>gentoo

>It shouldn't be _too_ beginner friendly though
Ubuntu or Fedora
Manjaro is too_ beginner
and openSUSE is like windows

mint

Use CentOS. Most bang for buck

>mint
no seriously watch that
youtube.com/watch?v=vbvIn3fHZi0
>3:30
mint is shit

lmde

Use Q4OS. It has objectively the nicest GUI of any Linux distro out there today. If you can use Windows XP, you can use TDE. It even comes with a point and click installer for nvidia drivers, which worked flawlessly on my GT 710 (a relatively new card).

Attached: q4os_1.jpg (961x727, 146K)

Just use Arch it’s straightforward enough to install if you can read a step by step wiki.

Mint.
It's beginner friendly in every good way and none of the bad ways, in that it doesn't hold your hand or try to make you do anything as a tutorial.

Xubuntu my friend.

I got started with Mint, would recommend. You can choose which desktop works for you. Friendly enough for beginners but allows you to learn things on your own, not as simplified like Ubuntu. Looks pretty too

You should first figure out which DE would be the best for you. I suggest Cinnamon, KDE , Budgie. They all have win like feel to it so you should use them (GNOME will frustrate you and is slow af). Good way to start would be Mint, Ubuntu flavours , Fedora, Debian 10. Manjaro can be unstable and you wont like openSUSE installer.

Install Gentoo

Linux mint cinnamon
it's so comfy

Linux Mint for comfy, or Fedora for bleeding edge software.

>>/s

Do you have one testicle?

I would recommend mint or Fedora.

>ls directory color is blue
>check $LS_COLOR variable
>di=38;5;33:
>i.e. not blue
what the fuck is going on

Looks too much like late 90s Windows.

TempleOS

>I've read a bit and I think Manjaro, openSUSE and Solus sound good.
oh boy here we go

Attached: lmao.jpg (369x366, 24K)

> /s
> reddit spacing
please go back

anything with kde

Pop!_OS or Kubuntu. Most walkthroughs on how2linux will involve debian-based terminal commands so get comfortable with something that's well documented and then you can hop to something else down the line.

>/s
is this shit supposed to indicate sarcasm ? are redditors too dumb to read between the lines ?

Attached: 1565498592743-biz.jpg (396x382, 28K)

Isn't Ubuntu spyware?

Take the Fedorapill, Red Hat does no wrong

where'd you hear that from?

If anyone is recommending you anything other than Ubuntu, they’re a neckbeard trying to leverage how smart they are over their poor decision making skills.

t. Windows -> Ubuntu -> Mint -> Fedora -> Arch -> Ubuntu

PS: Ignore Pop OS and >muh Amazon brainlets

Attached: 0B6E803B-34FA-4E85-8122-3D8C6FD463A5.jpg (600x400, 41K)

CentOS.

It'll work out of the box and come with your basic setup like a DE (GNOME Classic or KDE by default), a web browser, and utilities.

But because it's focused on being a super stable enterprise system, you'll need to learn how to add repos for additional software and compile some programs by source, update your kernel to the latest version for the most recent drivers and features, and learn how to navigate the terminal because not everything is preconfigured for you or has a UI to do everything.

Attached: 85f8d632f2908c7da2d83a56cfa61ffb-Centos.png (512x512, 9K)

I bet this is the guy who always starts the Mint threads.

Funny how he can't remember a distro without posting his own desktop.

If anything Mint is bluepilled because it sugarcoats everything.

debian stable, there's literally nothing wrong with it

To be honest, boot time is not a measure of how good or bad an OS is. In spite of that I enjoyed the video. My laptop is always on suspend or hibernate apart from when I upgrade the kernel.

>/s

Attached: 1521623112960.jpg (250x249, 8K)

im in the same boat OP, spent week deliberating what to install. i'm stuck between Xubuntu and Mint atm.

I even thought about elementaryOS but it might be a bit too..elementary

Go ahead and get mint cinnamon. A really clean basic but still snazzy looking OS with a lot of users and support.

You either start with Ubuntu and jump to Debian after you know a little more about what you're doing, or you stay on Ubuntu.
Or you can just jump to Debian, mind you Debian is not very friendly with bleeding edge hardware and non-free wifi crap. If you have neither, Debian is the best. You install it and it will never give a single hiccup. Every 2/3 years a new release should come. You can upgrade there or just stay for 5 years with it before jumping. Mind you packages will be old but you'll do 0 maintenance, you'll have 0 breakages, you can leave your computer alone for ages and nothing bad will happen. dist-upgrade usually works fine but some users have problems so always backup all your data before a major release comes out. I guess CentOS could work, but it's even older than Debian and while it's perfect for servers, it lacks Debian's flexibility and hardware support.
Arch, openSUSE, etc are good distros but they're more for people who really love their systems and don't mind fixing some breakages which will, sooner or later, happen, especially systemd, nvidia, etc, you'll have problems with these on rolling releases sometimes.
I'd settle with Debian, but up to you.

thanks, I’m going to go around using /s now just for those sweet (You)s. You might be a filthy redditnigger, but you did well.

Stop believing Jow Forums memes.