Lightning connector in 2019

Why

Attached: lightning.jpg (1374x1595, 516K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_port
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

money

USB-C is coming next gen because >applel

I guess they realized usb-c breaks incredibly fast

Exclusivity

I throw out any device that doesn't have USB-C ports, exclusively.

Serial port or fuck off.

Woah.

Attached: kisspng-serial-port-serial-communication-electrical-connec-port-5b170f0ea56039.819651651528237838677 (900x460, 63K)

They still have a buttload of cables that need to be sold.

Why would apple shoot themselves in the foot by using usb c on an iphone? They make money saling their proprietary ports. Any third party company who wants to sale lightweight ports has to pay apple a portion of their sales to sale a third party lightning port. And lastly, they love dividing the culture of android and iPhones. To normies the easiest way to know who is who is when someone asks "anyone got an ((((android)))) charger?"

That question is so powerful when asked. The same reasons apple discriminates with the green and blue bubbles, is the same reason apple uses their shit cables on their iPhones still.

designer brand

>plug something in
>tighten down the screws
>solid connection
>no snapping off or jiggling

Attached: serial port.jpg (300x204, 12K)

>Why would apple shoot themselves in the foot by using usb c on an iphone?
Because they already used it for their other devices?

All ports are serial ports now.
Actually everything not called memory bus IS serial.
PCI-E, Sata, USB, HDMI, Displayport you name it.
Since serial learned this little trick that parallel hates of differential signaling, it took over and rightfully so.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_port

Yes, i'm aware that you mean the RS-232, but despite all the chances, serial won.

they've said that like 4 years in a row

They will save it for the Pro model that is $500 more.

Ethernet. Checkmate atheist

Serial, using Differential signaling, just like the rest.
Probably one of the first to use it.

the "PRO" already has a Lightning port tho
l m a o

Lightning connectors are physically superior and more robust than USB-C connectors

This is a bizarre argument given that Apple already uses USB-C on its iPads.

And their 2016+ Macs kek. Literally the only product line they don’t have USB-C for is the iPhone

proprietary apple bullshit
any dongle maker has to pay apple money for using their proprietary horseshit

greed

>chip on cable to handle pin flipping because it isn't symmetrical
>physically superior

How is this even legal in the EU?

Because usb c is trash. Electronically neat. Physically shit. Feels cheap. Shitty detent wears out in several months. Garbage connector that will unfortunately be sucked off and worshipped by every tech enthusiast because it’s new. Yeah it’s new. And it’s shit

Lightning is better for a phone. Just needs to fucking charge most of the time. My 6 year old apple device has solid detent on the port. My 1.5 year old galaxy s8 has the weakest least assuring detent on the port of any device I have used. I used to have to pick pocket lint out of the charging port every few months to get it to feel reasonable.

kek, no one fell for your bait

Attached: 2761afa9427907d245db4b977dcb53aa8a1fa7a05e3b0c66380b1cbac406f526.png (500x382, 296K)

it wasn't bait, usb-c ports break way more often than type b, specially on phones.
Took them a decade to decide a new standard and it turned out to be shit

They don't like proper standards because not supporting them keeps people locked into their ecosystem. How the fuck is anybody in any way not aware of this by now?

bingo

its quite possibly the best marketing and business move they ever made because a significant portion of their income comes from people buying proprietary accessories at significant markup from their universal counterpart, and it has occult utility that directly shapes one of the most common interactions people have with a smartphone

Most iPads don't use it, alongside the iPod and AIrPods.

>detent

the detent is on the cable, and it wears out, and it sucks when that happens. but gunk that prevents the detent from engaging doesn't really reflect on the detent now does it

Attached: 1564518912292.png (1170x658, 380K)

Because lightning is unironically the best thing applel ever made, it's not shit like usb-c. It's really a shame other manufacturers can't use it until the patent expires.

To harvest resources from the faceless masses, why else?

>this applel cope
Even the lightning cable has a USB-C on the other end lmao.

Yes I know the detent is on the cable

The design is prone to lint getting jammed between the wall of the port and the tab the pins are on. Lint goes in and doesn’t have much room to get out. Then you plug the cable in and it jams it down to the back end of the port. Multiply this over months and soon the cable doesn’t go in as far. The already just passable detent can’t grab.

The detent is effectively weakened. Doesn’t matter if it was designed to be stronger end result is weak.

Lighting port is just a slot. Takes years to cram enough lint in there to cause problems. It’s a much more simple and robust physical connector than usb c is no matter how nice the cable is and how clean the usb c port is.

Usb c is a bad physical design. Poorly planned support and confusing compatibility with its various features. What used to be separate distinct cables with thoughtful design for different purposes is now several identical cables all with different ratings on power and what they can do electronically. You can’t tell at a glance if it’s the cable you need.

Nobody will argue that usb c makes more sense physically than hdmi or DisplayPort for hooking up a 50 pound computer to a 20 pound tv. It’s just a shit idea. Cell phones sure. But who the fuck thought it made sense to charge a laptop with it??? The fucken connector is so small.

Basically usb c is a shitty fever dream thought up by some mouth breather who spends little time actually interacting with hardware. No foresight went into it whatsoever.

Where is the "And here's why it's a good thing"

to sell ridiculously expensive cables

Lightning port is shittier

USB-C IS A PIECE OF SHIT. I got a magnetic one and disconnects all the time like a bitch.
PS. Fuck apple, this is irrelevant.

>shitty adapter doesn't work
>THE USB STANDARD IS SHIT
there may be reasons to not like it, but _that_ sure isn't one of them

Mental gymnastics right here

It may be related. It has a kazillion connections so magnetic connectors are harder to be stable.

Took about 15 months to get my lightning port so full of lint the charger wouldn’t connect properly. When that happened I took it all out of the port easily, works like new again.

Couldn’t get the tool in there to do that if it was USB-C

But you are here arguing that USB C breaks loads without taking into account how often lighting ports break. Kinda makes you sound like a baiter.

You would never have needed to with USB-C.

and the 1st gen Pencil and Magic Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad and the Siri Remote and the Apple Watch dock and probably more.

Apple has had a pretty solid cable standard for years so it's understandable that they'd take their time for USB-C adoption (and that's a battle they're successfully winning, y'all bitched about it hard when they took away USB Type A from MacBooks but now you cunts need it)

>read "tech news article" about this
>author claims a reason for keeping the lightning port is users would have to buy new cables

Icing on the cake is the iPhone 11 pro comes with a USB-c charger and a converter to lightning.

>Jow Forums loves USB C now just because apple doesn't have it on their phones

Money

Apple wants “think differently” or whatever

The eternal euro is waiting for apple money mountain on shitty ports to build up a bit more until they sue apple for some made-up bullshit

so they wont sell in the EU ?

I think they know their users got pissed last time they had to buy new cables so they want to ride out lightning as long as they can.
There's very little benefit for them, people buy lightning cables from chinkshit stores anyway.

At least that means it's durable. USB-C tends to get loose contacts soon. On my Galaxy S8, I have to jam the cable in pretty hard to get it to charge. It won't fast charge anymore. And data connections to my computer are impossible.

i hate how everything is made to break down, i miss solid hardware, sure it might be bulkier but who cares really about that

>sure it might be bulkier but who cares really about that
Normalfags

>he charges his phone by wire
>he transfers data by wire
Haha oh wow, is this 1980?

It's only used for charging and Apple won't make an effort to utilize the additional features that comes with USB C.

bullshit

Mini USB was the last reasonable connector.

This is bullshit because apple invented USB-C. Why would they not use it?

Hope the EU sues the pants off em

No, it does not.

no they did not retard

So you need multiple cables and can't just use the one that came with the macbook.

>type b
>on phones

Attached: 1564877607833.jpg (500x483, 33K)

Did you not see the keynote

>type b
what
Unless you're talking about fucking microUSB type B, in that case kys unironically. microUSB is absolute cancer and I'm glad it's a thing of the past now.

Attached: 51s0Gw9WqTL._SX569_.jpg (569x569, 22K)

fuck type c

iTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1561591916985.gif (640x358, 1.94M)

every third party accessory maker has to pay for lightning port license which is money for apple

bass

Attached: tenor.gif (478x268, 845K)

BASED

baste

Because there are so many other things besides iPhone that also use Lightning that I'm pretty sure that Apple just decided at this point it would be easier to take another courageous step and rely on wireless charging entirely, making a phone with no holes at all than it would be to transition to USB-C.

the big ipad only uses usb-c because of its power requirements. the macbook uses usb-c because its a computer and computers usually include usb ports. no reason for them to change anything else. lightning is fine.

Attached: PVC-Mac-Pro.jpg (1500x1000, 619K)

bas

Universal SERIAL Port

retarded customers with money

DUHHH BTFO!!!! DUHHH iTODDLERS!!???!! SATANIA!!!!! IS THAT ALL YOU SHITPOSTING FUCKS CAN SAY!!??? DURR BASED BASED BASED iTODDLER iTODDLER BASED BASED SATANIA SATANIA SATANIA BASED iTODDLERS I FEEL LIKE IM IN A FUCKING ASYLUM FULL OF DEMENTIA RIDDEN OLD PEOPLE THAT CAN DO NOTHING BUT REPEAT THE SAME FUCKING WORDS ON LOOP LIKE A FUCKING BROKEN RECORD iTODDLERS iTODDLERS iTODDLERS BASED BASED CRINGE JOBS JOBS JOBS SNOYY DESIGNATED LOL STREETS !!! CRINGE!!!1 BOOMER!! LE ZOOMER!!!! I AM BOOMER!!!! NO ZOOM ZOOM ZOOMIES ZOOMER GOING ZOOMIES AHGHGH I FUCKING HATE THE INTERNET SO GODDAMN MUCH FUCKJK YOU SHITPOST I HONEST TO GOD HOPE YOUR MOTHER CHOKES ON HER OWN FECES IN HELL YOU COCKSUCKER VUT OHHH I KNOWM MY POST IS BOTNET ISNT IT?? iTODDLERS iTODDLERS iTODDLERS CRINGEY BASED SATANIA BASED SLASHDOT REDDIT CRINGE ZOOM CRINGE VERGE REDDIT BASED BASED!!!!!!

Attached: 77D5710D6A0B439C86B52A45C90B732E.png (788x472, 272K)

Lightning is a superior connector.

Apple doesn't care about the standards of other lesser companies.
They are a product-focused company, they only care about making their products the best.

Since USB-C is a worse connector than Lightning, it has no place on iPhone. That's the end of the story.

Attached: 1355006373982.jpg (168x148, 6K)

First of all, mindless apple sheep
Second;
>USB-C is a worse connector than Lightning

Attached: d3d.jpg (760x572, 121K)

Wouldn't that be a good thing, that way they can sell more Apple OEM USB-C cables.

It's actually true though, Lightning is a better connector, but unlike MiniDisplayPort Apple didn't license out lightning royalty free or in fact at all outside the iDevices.
So the USB-C connector was created to replicate the functionality.

Apple pretty much has to implement USB-C now though since it's become the standard. They should have just played ball and given the lightening connectors to USB-IF.

Attached: 1543560667166.png (1215x823, 245K)

Jesus Christ just make it all USB C at this point I mean why all the theatrics

Good. I hope everyone else ditches it too. even micro 3 is better that chimerical abomination.

because real life drm

>Gets knocked
>Tears out your entire motherboard
>Nothing personnel kid

Attached: 3e1d25120fe6a9a2d1eb2d8c60b9785c.jpg (575x512, 18K)

Because C is shit, that's why.

C is worse than Lightning as a connector, sure.
But Apple blew their chance to make it standard and now USB-C is.
Thanks to Apple we all have to suffer a worse connector.

Although that's not quite right either - Lightning was after Steve had gone into not-working mode and had left Tim in charge, if Steve had been in charge Lightning would have been royalty free for the connector, with Apple having their own protocols over the top - but not with Tim, he's a greedy cunt.

But apple has never cared about meeting the standard, at least in regards to hardware. They always use their own technology, whether that be because they can make more money by forcing proprietary hardware on you or because they believe they can actually do better. USB-C has higher bandwidth and greater power transfer potential and doesn't need a dedicated chip to allow for reversibility.
I can't say for sure myself but I would also say it's tougher, both from the logic of its pins being concealed inside the connector and personal experience (my gf has an iPhone and has gone through 3 cables since the beginning of last year whereas I'm still on my first).

dilate