Where do i buy minicomputers and mainframes from the 60s and 70s?

Ebay is way too expensive and all the really cool shit doesnt show up there

Attached: pdp8.jpg (572x668, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewcpu.com/
nmediapc.com/htpc8000.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Besides museums, you might try asking universities and other institutions of higher learning. This stuff is falling apart now and I doubt you will find any in working condition.

Your best bet will be to find some covered in dust, crumbling into tiny pieces in a back storage room.

I wish computers still looked like that

You can easily make your computer look like that right now.

Link me a desktop case with wood panelling, and not some custom shit either, something I can just go on the internet and buy.

System76

>not some custom shit either,
Stop moving goal posts

You can build your own pdp-11 with discrete transistors and run unix.

IKEA

>not some custom shit either, something I can just go on the internet and buy.
what a faggot

>Falling apart
No they arent, electronics back then were built to insanely high quality standards. My american made 1980s computers still look brand new while my mexican made laptop from 1997 is turning to dust. I have radios from the 1920s that still run.

I dont want a modern computer that looks like that i want the real thing
The pdp 11 wasnt built with discrete transistors

Do you have any idea what kind of power those beasts use? You can't plug them into a normal power outlet, you'll have to get three phase power brought in.

I really need to look into getting into CAD and designing a modern case like that. That's really aesthetic.

high quality != age well if not kept well
most of those systems from the 60's and 70's were not kept once obsoleted, they were all recycled or scrapped, the remaining ones fit into these categories
>machines that are still operational and kept operating to this day, very rarely
>machines in museums
>machines in private collections
the common situations you find them in still
>in pieces, in scrapyards or in warehouses of old electronics
>stored poorly because the institution that had the machine removed couldnt be bothered to pay for removal and left it on shelves in a closet somewhere
>delegated to redundancy functions and effectively unmaintained since, if functional, barely
and then theres the rare few situtations
>machines that have been left as is since being decommissioned
>machines that were dissembled and left in high quality storage situations or packed properly
>new old stock

so tl;dr for you or OP, you dont find them anymore, if it was the 80's or 90's still it would be reasonable to presume theres some sitting in old warehouses or in a universities empty wing or something
but its been 50-60 years since some of these machines were new, 40-50 since they were obsoleted outside of a few places that held onto theirs
stuff that is kept really well and maintained properly can last forever, but not many people ever did keep those old systems in good condition, they were obsolete and considered scrap for 20-30 years before anyone cared about preserving them

Milking machines ran on PDP-11's forever, farmers replaced them with dedicated emulators working on Intel machines (proprietary though) which can support the peripherals. The older units got too old and were not reliable any more.

They've all been rendered down for the metals.
Lots of the older electronics contained valuable metals (gold, silver, copper etc) but in the last 30 years efforts have been made to reduce their use.
A recovery outfit's foreman told me that they went down as far as aluminum. They roasted circuit boards until the molten metals dripped through the grate. They got shut down years ago because of the pollution.

>american made good
>mexican made bad

Attached: 1566574374038.jpg (350x350, 35K)

Build one yourself:
homebrewcpu.com/

nmediapc.com/htpc8000.htm

You're a few years too late, user.
They pop up on ebay every now and again, though. These and a few others.
They literally -never- sold well. Nobody actually wants a wood-cased PC. Grounding becomes a huge bitch, where-as it's literally just a given in a metal case.

Just build it user. You can put a PC motherboard into nearly any piece of wood. Your computer could be inside of a log. Just install the proper mounting brackets and standoffs (probably don't even need standoffs on non-conductive wood lol) and you can put a PC anywhere.

I have an old desk I'm working on, I will post pics when done. It's a rolltop desk, not too wide (42") that I'm putting a pc into in the locking drawer with cable harnesses which will allow me to open the drawer with the thing running and examine it or whatever but lock it against tampering and to keep it sealed up so little hands don't go in there.

The real cornerstone of the project is putting a monitor onto the desk surface area itself, angled so that looking slightly down at the desk surface you see the monitor at a comfortable angle. Above this will be a piece of lightly smoked glass for the actual work surface itself. I will be able to write and do paperwork and have my calculator on the desk surface and also see my monitor without looking up and down, and with the monitor off or sleeping the lightly smoked glass will make it completely invisible.

* also i will conceal speakers in the unit of course

it's going to look like an old timey desk except for the glass, the leather surface is shot though

It's literally just an MDF box with a computer inside. Build one

I'm not sure if user meant just any old wooden case, but rather the retro look itself. That said, it could be achieved easily by building the machine inside an old radio(something like pic related) and just replacing the front and back panels with ones that accommodate for whatever connectors and openings need to be there.

Attached: Fisher Model 800-B AM-FM Stereo Receiver (1962).jpg (949x632, 99K)

What would you even do with one if you had it?