Are all the JavaScript kiddies basically reinventing the wheel with their retarded frameworks and electron shenanigans...

Are all the JavaScript kiddies basically reinventing the wheel with their retarded frameworks and electron shenanigans? I thought this shit was solved with X 30 years ago.

Attached: 687474703a2f2f7777772e63687269737469616e656e6776616c6c2e73652f77702d636f6e74656e742f75706c6f6164732f (1660x1062, 52K)

Seething

>Are all the JavaScript kiddies basically reinventing the wheel with their retarded frameworks and electron shenanigans? I thought this shit was solved with X 30 years ago.
what are you trying to meme about, mouthbreather?

it just werks

Interoperability and consistent appearance/functionality of GUI applications. Multiple fractured OSs couldn't get their shit together and agree on the X peotocol so instead the wheel was reinvented at least twice, poorly, and web browsers are used as a proxy to facilitate remote applications and consistent GUIs.

GUI design was actually solved more than 30 years ago.

Sadly OOP killed all those efforts, so the new generations are reinventing Statechart based GUI development.

What's the C way of designing GUI applications?

I'm no fan of JavaScript but X has serious security issues. Its far from being good.

I would rather take de-googled chromium apart and build my display manager out of that. Create a decent object model that applications can utilize for the front end. And then all the UI/UX trannies are out of jobs as the problem is solved and we aren't limited to JS. As long as a language can access some kind of context or object model then the whole UI thing becomes trivial.

Programmers can fix the disorganized UI/UX clusterfuck. They also have to stop thinking about the internet and the local machine as being radically different experiences.

Shit needs to change for the better.

Smalltalk

Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad-hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of Common Lisp.

wut

Smalltalk for GUIs?

Elaborate.

GUIs really are fucked. If you want to create a crossplatform GUI today, what options do you have?
>qt and put up with c++'s garbage
>javafx and put up with jvm garbage
>js and put up with web garbage
>some noname bullshit that will disappear in a year
Please tell me there's something better that I'm unaware of.

X if you don't mind making GUIs that look like they were made in 1988

Smalltalk is GUIs

Nobody uses X except a handful of nerds. You would have to be very certain of your target audience.

Attached: elephant.jpg (964x783, 141K)

Hence why I said "if you don't mind making GUIs that look like they were made in 1988".

Not only are those people nerds, but they have absolutely mission critical shit that's likely laden with government requirements necessitating something like the Motif toolkit because it does something in a special way that no other toolkit could (or bothered to) do.

I really don't know what should be done for GUI programming. Unfuck X by eliminating security holes? Port Wayland to other platforms? Make Electron less shit? Do something completely different like port Smalltalk to other OSs and use that?

I for one welcome a future where we leverage css styling in desktop applications.
We spent years developing this powerful system for creating good looking dynamic UIs for the web. We should use it wherever we can.
It's stupid that desktop application frameworks are trying to reinvent the wheel with their own custom markup languages and styling rules when we have this powerful solution already at hand.

Attached: face.png (420x300, 23K)

agree. just need to replace the javascript with a statically typed, functional language like OCaml. for more native performance. ReasonML is looking promising.

I for one... don't

Maybe if "responsive" design was in there from the start; but it wasn't, it wasn't designed with that in mind, instead css was the first wave of allowing marketing idiots bloat up web pages, css is about defining colors and fonts and who the fuck cares with someone can serve one their one pixel different font; the list of acceptable fonts should been defined and culled down to a small list instead of random website asking a different random site to pass it along to me every new page I visit

>solved with X
laughingwomen.jpg