Why is captcha enabled by default...

Why is captcha enabled by default? There are better ways of preventing spam and abuse that don't fuck over your main user base.

Attached: 688978.png (1200x1200, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/bakape/captchouli
Jow
github.com/xou/hardcaptcha
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

reCAPTCHA is the best option. A terrible option but still the best.

Because it makes someone money, dipshit.

Moot tried an in-house captcha, the usage overpowered his Mac Mini setup. Only Google has the bandwidth to handle the site's traffic.

The mac mini hosting was a joke, also didn't hiro upgrade the servers?

>There are better ways of preventing spam
Examples?

there are better image boards around yet here you are

Jow Forums works together with google and law enforcement.
Captchas are there to make you believe that you are anonymous when in reality they already can attach a real name to each and every post here on Jow Forums.
There is a reason Jow Forums doesn't allow posting with Tor.

Moot got actual professional-level hosting long before he bailed out and sold Jow Forums. You just don't remember the days of everything running so slow you could get up and get a coffee, come back, and the page still hadn't updated.

github.com/bakape/captchouli

There also used to be a CP spambot on /tv/ but I think that's gone now. That one though was just some autist on /tv/ who set up a script to spam CP images.

I remember a certain image board that had so many problems with automated spam links being posted that the admin took away free, anonymous posting and required you to register to post. Of course it killed the site and its traffic dropped to almost zero.

that makes sense. i don't see the need for a default captcha in the first place. spammers can basically get through anything except recaptcha. simply forcing blacklisted ips to use recaptcha and everyone else doesn't have one seems to make the most sense.

>Why is captcha enabled by default?
Ah the joy of being new.

Jow Forums was unusable for days.

That doesn't work either. There are some people on this website with severe autism and will painstakingly curate lists of non-blacklisted proxies. One of them literally sat there and either paid or solved captchas manually for months so he could spam mangled pictures of Accelerator (an anime character) on /a/. He had four gagillion proxies and pretty much never slept. It was fucking unreal.

>simply forcing blacklisted ips to use recaptcha and everyone else doesn't have one seems to make the most sense.

An ip blacklist is a ban - thats not new; The actual reason moot implemented captcha was due to a literal distributed virus. Lookup "Jow Forums.hta".

Basically it was a self replicating script that posted to Jow Forums and told people to download and run it - and being the retards they are people ran it. It was essentially a massive botnet of people spamming Jow Forums. There was no way you could keep the blacklist up to date

Buy a pass goy ;^)

You wouldn't have to painstakingly curate any list of proxies though, just filter through them by checking if its banned on the /banned page. It requires recaptcha but to post you'd already have to have some solver setup already.

>mac mini joke still around 10 years later
user...

>check if it's banned by attempting to post something
You don't have to, but still need to solve captcha.
Jow Forums.org/banned

That's assuming you're doing it manually, there are bot scripts out there (not sure if any still work though) or you could make your own.

Reminder that reCAPTCHA is a massive tracking network for Google. Not only are you labeling their data for free, but they also get to track your browsing.

And if you make yourself unidentifiable you basically get banned. The puzzles you solve have very little to do with it. The decision is primarily based on their certainty of identifying you.

Enable browser fingerprint protection in firefox and you will get dramatically more and harder puzzles to solve. Even when you are on the same damn IP, not even behind VPN.

In fact if you tweak your firefox privacy settings enough you can effectively get blocked from reCAPTCHA. I've experimented with this before and got an endless stream of new puzzles to solve. They just don't stop and eventually you get blocked out. This is while on my normal IP, so its like they are just punishing you for not giving them the browser fingerprint.

Reminder that google gets the path to the thread you're posting in in the Referer header by default and can identify which post you make with the time you solved the captcha.

Not him but he possibly uses a setting like about:config?filter=network.http.referer.XOriginTrimmingPolicy ==> 2 in Firefox

That's why I mentioned by default, I had some problems with that before since I use ghacks user js which disables cross origin referer headers by default. Tried setting network.http.referer.XOriginPolicy to 0 and network.http.referer.XOriginTrimmingPolicy to 2. It seems to be working now though.

I too can confirm that making yourself hard to identify or track results in a near endless stream of "Please try again" before getting the 'you are a bot sending automated requests' bullshit.
captchas despite answering correctly.
recaptcha should literally be illegal.

Sadly this, there's a reason they even kill VPN nodes when they find them. "The chan which must not be named" died precisely because it was better than Jow Forums, regardless of what shills reply to tell you.

it highly favors chromium too, even a pretty privacy-focused setup of ungoogled-chromium gets through much easier
this is antitrust~

because spam. also when Jow Forums pass was implemented it was here to stay.

I remember...

This!
Google has everything, including your full posting history (and full name when having a google account).
Anybody who really thought that this site was anonymous is in for a huge surprise.

Jow Forums should switch to this:
github.com/xou/hardcaptcha
That would keep the brainlets out.

Reminder that if your startup does a better job than Recatpha, your company will be immidately purchased by Google.

Attached: 1536764413660.jpg (944x944, 266K)

Captcha startup employee here, we'll see

Banning 3rd world retards and amerimutts.

Thanks for not being retarded

And aussies