/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Welcome to /fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Windows and share their experiences.

This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Windows Thread ***

Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips and tricks that make your life with Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant).

>Choosing, downloading, installing, activating windows / office
rentry.co/fwt

>LTSC 2019 ISO optimization & debloating
rentry.co/ltsc_optimized

>recommended windows software (infograph)
s1.desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1562/46/1562467997749.png (embed)

>windows 7 updates to avoid
pastebin.com/a1htBUby (embed)

>windows 7 ricing guide (nanami-tan fork)
namazso.github.io/nanami-tan/

previous thread:

Attached: 34dee446d033170efc15849f4ab62f92.png (1920x1200, 1.7M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ghacks.net/2019/09/03/what-is-the-best-free-archiver-to-extract-archives-and-compress-files
github.com/stax76/mpv.net
majorgeeks.com/files/details/icaros.html
ghacks.net/2019/09/10/sandbox-program-sandboxie-is-now-freeware-soon-open-source/
m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sandboxie.html
code.kryo.se/iodine/
voidtools.com/downloads/
github.com/kkkgo/KMS_VL_ALL
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/kms_vl_all-smart-activation-script.79535
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i want to nakadashi nanami-chan

i wanna clap some Windows cheeks now

install gentoo

i want to cumflat nanami-chan

Imagine fucking her right there and then

Are there any good programming resources for the win32 API? I.E windows programming in general.
I've spent at least an hour or two combing through libgen looking for Windows programming books using every fucking keyword I can think of and all I can fucking find is stuff for the Windows Presentation Foundation API and the new Windows 10 WinUI API.
The Windows system internals book is unironically the most relevant thing I've found, and while learning about the NT kernel is really interesting, it's not what I'm looking for.

Microsoft's documentation is so-so, but worse than that, it's also really fucking difficult to navigate
Despite the fact that UWP doesn't actually replace win32, and despite the fact that it's a total failure and they admitted this, they still try to force you into UWP documentation at every turn.
Quite a lot of pages are unmaintained, even on pages that claim to be maintained, you'll almost always find broken hyperlinks.

also want fug nanami-chan

there are guides on MSDN too, which are conveniently almost never never linked from functions you might find by searching and have to accidentally stumble into. win32 also never changes, so you can read a two decade old tutorial and be fine. I for example used a tutorial written in 1998 about making windows in pure C winapi without resources, and another one written in 2001 about shell extensions (although I had to use archive.org for this one).
About the broken links, go and fix them! The documentation is shown from GitHub and you can actually send them PRs that they merge, and you'll be listed as a contributor on the top (the little round avatars on the right).

(Me)
also, I almost forgot but I also want to put cummies in nanami-chan's tummy

I wasn't sure how far back I could go, so if shit from two decades ago is still valid, then I can probably find something.
>The documentation is shown from GitHub and you can actually send them PRs that they merge, and you'll be listed as a contributor on the top (the little round avatars on the right).
I completely forgot MSDN was sourced from markdown hosted on github, contributing some simple fixes is a good idea
right now I haven't done anything with my github account

friendly reminder: this is the recommended archive program now.

ghacks.net/2019/09/03/what-is-the-best-free-archiver-to-extract-archives-and-compress-files

Attached: serveimage.png (280x140, 6K)

Don't forget that mpv.net is the new kin/g/ of windows media players. It is an mpv front-end made for newcomers.

github.com/stax76/mpv.net

Attached: mpv1.png (454x266, 30K)

kys shill

kys shill

kys shill

Also don't forget to use Icaros Shell Extension in conjunction with mpv.net or mpv for media file thumnails.

majorgeeks.com/files/details/icaros.html

Attached: Icaros.png (1082x697, 29K)

I love Nanami-chan.

And then what

Sandboxie is now freeware and will soon be free and open-source.

Source: ghacks.net/2019/09/10/sandbox-program-sandboxie-is-now-freeware-soon-open-source/

Download: m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sandboxie.html

Attached: _20190913_081422.jpg (430x369, 24K)

so how exactly do i debotnet my live LTSC installation? just block some IPs and monitor incoming/outgoing traffit with wireshark? if i need to test it with wireshark what packets am i looking for that would indicate that windows is still trying to collect information? LTSC still has telemetry on it afaik

simplewall and W10Privacy

What are the advantages of Windows 10 LTSC over education?

literally just read the link in OP.

thank you. is there a way for me to know what packets does the OS attempt to send on a regular basis so I can test the legitimacy of w10privacy telemetry blocking? or has someone already done that

not sure what you want to do, but if you mean developing tools for blocking or revealing more telemetry, look into the ETW system (some gui tools available too), it is possible to log all communications with initiating process, call stacks, etc..

Does anyone know any way to get iodine working on Windows? code.kryo.se/iodine/

On Linux and OS X the OS knows to route 172.16.0.0/24 (the iodine range) through the tunnel, as its supposed to. On Windows though (7 or 10) I can't get it to route it right, it just tries to go through my local network. It will connect, just won't route any traffic to the iodine server on 172.16.0.1.

kys shill

kys shill

kys shill

You will be surprise how intuitive is Bandizip gui and how fast it is for compression and extraction.

Attached: bandizip-archive.png (1084x682, 94K)

all flavors of 10 have telemetry, it's the world we live in but one can do a lot to minimize it. run such tools as W10Privacy, also ShutUp10.

kys shill

filter bandizip spammer with this one simple trick:
Image MD5 filters:
/2noxmKDugYpgMXBFw6wEyQ==/
/0vdch1oBcx+FkjZ/Wue0+w==/
/LibbgkP8ZPjnX92I5//Luw==/
/AaqKwT6PfEqaD0PLIVSWIw==/
/Ef6G/+PkuC5TRpxQvRdnGA==/
/F4zSWHdSFfWOplSiQfh3CA==/

kys shill

>euthanise b&ishit spammer with this one simple trick
Prefer this.

Bandizip supports your favorite archive types.

Attached: bz-association.png (719x469, 34K)

kys shill

I wrote what amounted to a rootkit (trapped a reasonable amount of the registry and file APIs) a few years back for sandboxing purposes, but it always felt clunky.
I wouldn't mind seeing how these guys do it.

dw, they can also be escaped fairly easily. anything you do in usermode can be circumvented simply by running raw syscalls.

That won't prevent naive people who rarely come here from falling for bandishit though.
kys shill spamming is just as annoying though -- just say it once so people know what's up; maybe a reminder for people to report the bandishit as spam so that the mods take care of it.

the kys posts are different posters (atleast new IPs) for 5 out of 7 of them, according to my 4chanX

kys shill

Yeah, but nobody sane does that, since they vary between releases (and often even service packs).
"Rootkitting" ntdll covers well over 99.9% of programs you will ever run.

I freely admit I'm spamming - I'm including the above in all posts.

Bandizip can preview archive files from the context menu. It also has smart extract.

Attached: bandizip-context3.png (730x333, 18K)

>Yeah, but nobody sane does that, since they vary between releases (and often even service packs).
I actually do/did that. the syscall stubs are generated from the same code, so you can just read out the syscall index from stub + 6 (iirc)

>>nobody sane does that
>I actually do/did that

Attached: b8f.png (600x692, 441K)

you can't just depend on the malware developer 'being sane' when you're writing a security product

I just unnistalled all the W10 apps with wpd. Was that the right decision?

So what version is needed to have Dark Mode? I have 10.0.17134 Build 17134 and have enabled it but the File Explorer's still white

If you don't use, then yes.

Build 1809. Just install LTSC 2019 which uses that build or go with Enterprise 1903 build.

idk but LTSC 2019 (1809) does have it.
Also you can still just use visual styles on other versions.

An OS in extended support phase seems to be alright for the LTS? versions of Windows.
It's easier to skin LTSB as Windows 7, and it will have extended support until 2025.
Are the updates during the extended support phase deployed through normal Windows Update?

>Are the updates during the extended support phase deployed through normal Windows Update?
yes, just leave Windows Update enabled and you should be good

>>It's easier to skin LTSB as Windows 7, and it will have extended support until 2025.
yes. Although i'd pick LTSB 2016 and not LTSB 2015, rarely anyone adopted it in the first months
>Are the updates during the extended support phase deployed through normal Windows Update?
yes

I remember the UAC prompt in 2016 is skinned in Metro style, and in 2015 it still looks like Windows 7.

i have a bunch of vms stored on an external drive. i would like to back them up every week. how should i go about this and what software should i use ?

mpv.net has integration with Everything to search for media files without using the windows explorer.

voidtools.com/downloads/

Attached: MediaSearch.png (1800x900, 125K)

how to remove activate windows watermark 2019 no download no virus

Attached: activate_windows.webm (1920x1080, 1.88M)

What Windows version are you running now?

here you go lad.
github.com/kkkgo/KMS_VL_ALL

read the /fwt/ paste. you will need to download something, but you can go with HWIDgen which is once per machine, then you can reinstall or whatever if you're that paranoid.
Or alternatively, you can just buy it you know, if you're so fixated on not downloading anything.

windows 10. i've tried alot of methods and it keeps coming back. i think i'm being stalked by bill gates someone help me
ty
oh sorry didn't see that it mentionned about activating windows ty

not the latest version, always get it from its source:

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/kms_vl_all-smart-activation-script.79535

we can tell you have 10, we were looking for the build #. (right-click Start, Run, "winver", look for OS Build #)

fixed it, thank you informative anons

Attached: yay_2.webm (1920x1080, 1.49M)

how do i use kms_vl_all? the guide in the op doesnt explain and the MDL post doesnt help either
i want to activate LTSC and office

1. open AutoRenewal-Setup.cmd, if it's installed it'll ask you to uninstall. otherwise, just hit Y to install
2. open Activate.cmd, it'll try to detect your office/windows version and activate accordingly

Run autorenewal, then activate, both as administrator. and the readme.html in the activator does explain it

will the activation thing always run on the background?
ill also activate a window server 2019 VM with it, does it work?

How do I disable the spectre and meltdown mitigations?

Kys shill

when will the next big update come out and what will it be about? I mean this yeears not next year's

>will the activation thing always run on the background?
that's a complex subject. It runs whenever windows feels like activating. In fact, windows "starts" it automagically whenever the activation process of windows is started

from the readmel.html
Supported Products

Volume-capable:

Windows Server 2008 R2 / 2012 / 2012 R2 / 2016 / 2019

if for whatever reason it comes unactivated, just run the process again (making sure to check on MDL to see if there's an updated version too)

InSpectre

danke, anons

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 96K)

>danke
Hallo aus Deutschland

how do you label your partitions

post-it note. but seriously, what OS?

Attached: file.png (588x126, 4K)

Attached: からかうな.jpg (90x99, 7K)

>Z drive master race

Attached: Untitled.png (526x83, 3K)

I’m running windows 7 pro, instead of note pad I would like to write and save text in the command prompt window, is there a way to do this?

Nvm I just figured It out, that always happens to me

BOOT, ROOT, SWAP, WIN10LTSC

PM'd you the fix.
>thread closed

Why does it say D: E: as if there were two drives?

Attached: s.png (1920x1080, 87K)

1 physical drive, 2 partitions?

God, I'm fucking retarded. Forgot about the recovery partition. Thanks

I label them like this

Attached: D2F5F4B7-EFA9-40D9-9D02-034623639F05.jpg (4032x2280, 3.06M)

did you take a literal pic of your screen? didn't ALT + PrtScn work?

Just assembled a new PC (Ryzen2600 / RX570).
Struggling between choosing 8.1 and 10.

Yes, That computer is offline only for security and so it’s not distracting

i've heard stories of LTSC 10 not working well with Ryzen, maybe try 10 Enterprise.

Alt+PrtScn just saved the active application window though, no?

Yes It would but I’m posting from my phone and I don’t have a way to move files from my computer to my phone

well yes, it does highlighted window, but if the pic is due to security, then don't sweat it.

Does it disable all the other and most recent mitigations too?

iirc windows has no way to independently pick them. all that can be disabled gets disabled at once. some with insignificant performance impact cannot be disabled

Windows 10 LTSC 2019 is based.

Attached: ltsc.png (2560x1440, 767K)

My nvidia driver (windows auto installed it when I first installed today) is on 388 or something, but the latest one is 420
Can I just install it or will there be some problem? I'm on LTSC

anytime i install windows, I always unplug my CAT 5 to prevent windows from auto updating my video driver upon first booting to desktop, then i go in & temporarily disable windows update, manually update the newest nvidia & sound drivers, then i connect my CAT 5. but yes, you're free to grab the newest.

So I used my Windows 10 laptop for the first time in months, and I have to ask, what the fuck? I try to download a file and it gets blocked because it's "uncommonly downloaded". Download it anyway and try to install only for Windows to block me because it "isn't from the Windows Store". What the fuck is wrong with this OS? How dare they change my settings.