PCBG building general

Thread question: where were you on 9/11 2001?

Guide for noobs, follow this
youtu.be/6_6hGc1A3Tk

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming build skeletons and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to non-technically assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g [Open]

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric games, VR games, or ray tracing: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Amd>Intel/nVidia right now
Don't upgrade your CPU cooler unless you are over locking
mATX is the best form factor

Attached: jbareham_180831_2838_0045.jpg (1200x800, 170K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6_6hGc1A3Tk
pcpartpicker.com/
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
pcpartpicker.com/list/BD6JzY
youtube.com/watch?v=d2E1FY6TlPk
forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=186314
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This is doing my head in.
plan is a 3600/RX 5700 or 5700XT build

i wasn't planning on doing any overclocking untili notice the CPU bottlenecking, or replacing the fan if i see thermal throttling.

Attached: understanding.jpg (3004x1465, 662K)

these tests were done in a microITX case, the DefineNanoS. but the rise in CPU temps with an open air cooled GPU were also seen in the DefineS

Attached: hmmmm.png (3010x1807, 1.34M)

Ignore the extra SSD, its for a future plan.

If I upgrade to 3600, can I downgrade to 1660ti?

if under full load in an ITX case a blower can keep sub 80c at only 60% fan speed...

I think testing GPUs on a testbench is unrealistic. kind of like basing a GPU off artificial tests instead of average fps in 1hr of gameplay

Attached: this blows.jpg (1826x878, 281K)

Is it worth waiting until Black Friday before buying parts? I'm gonna be buying from the german Amazon, but not sure if they usually have good discounts during that week.

If you have no need to buy yet doesn't hurt to try waiting, also potential price drops with the recent bits of competition and such, the 9900ks might make the 9900k drop a little maybe.

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

Best option to fix gpu sag??

>didn't buy pc part last month, because i wanted to wait.
>Some computer parts got hit with the tariffs. Cases are more expensive now.

Reeeeeee fuck that orange nigger.

Attached: 1568367734193.gif (216x150, 1.98M)

situation dependent

based trump

come on 3950X, I'm ready to get my snatch pounded by your 16 inches long 32 inches girth chip

Attached: readyAF.jpg (934x964, 154K)

>Thread question: where were you on 9/11 2001?
>
>Guide for noobs, follow this
>youtu.be/6_6hGc1A3Tk
>
>>Assemble a part list
>pcpartpicker.com/
>>Example gaming build skeletons and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
>pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>>How to non-technically assemble a PC
>youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g [Open]
>
>Want help?
>>State budget & CURRENCY
>>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)
>
>CPUs based on current pricing:
>>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing
>>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>>R9 3900X - Professional tasks
>
>RAM:
>>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP
>
>Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>>PC centric games, VR games, or ray tracing: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
>1080p 16:9
>>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>>GTX 1660 - standard
>
>General:
>>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>
>Amd>Intel/nVidia right now
>Don't upgrade your CPU cooler unless you are over locking
>mATX is the best form factor
This pocture makes me feel better about my cable management

>CL14 RAM

What a tryhard faggot.

Attached: YES.gif (460x345, 492K)

That picture is the official gaming PC built by The Verge, the video guide how to build is from The Verge.

Kek

>That picture is the official gaming PC built by The Verge
build by a diversity hire at the verge you mean

what do we know about these non-red devil non-red dragon powercolor 5700XTs?
should i get apulse instead?
case can only fit 50mm thick cards

interesting, i have an nzxt h210 and i was wondering if the same applies and i should just get a reference

what are you talking about

why did you copy the whole OP

forgot pic

Attached: 61A9fhSqD0L._SL1200_.jpg (1200x1200, 69K)

its a buypig

Are the brackets that extend out from the expansion slots a good option? Something about it doesnt sit right with me. The base supports seem a far better option, but I think it would slip during case movement.

Linus did a similar video sometime ago, he left the fan speeds on stock which is a mistake with blowout cards, but the biggest takeaway wasn't that the open air cooler was in fact louder then the system with the blower card.

What if blower cards are actually more economical and efficient than open-air coolers, but they had deliberately kept at 40% fan speed under 85 degrees to make open air coolers look better than they really are?

a good waterblock or something like kraken g12 if you are a pleb

I mean the best option is a case mod where you add a bracket that holds your gpu, what will be the easiest and work the best depends your situation and case as well as your skills and how much you're willing to do

I'm in love with the recent meme on pcbg that there's a blower conspiracy to make people believe that blowers are bad when they're really the best coolers
I'll help you push the meme if you post some interesting justifications

blower cards are worse at cooling the gpu, but are better in terms of literally everything else inside your case
this doesn't show up on gpu benchmarks and especially since most reviewers are using open air test benches

Not really sure what you don’t understand about the power color and sapphire cards. They come pre overclocked with better cooling solutions. It’s worth the small up charge, but not at current price gouging levels. Spend no more than 420 on a pulse or nitro xt and you’ll have yourself a great deal. The cheapest decent 2070 super is $500, at the same price the 2070 will perform better for most applications. At $420 vs $500 the xt is the better deal

It goes deeper than that, increasing the speed of the blower fan to 60% over the 40% limit under 85deg, the GPU has the same symbols as an open-air GPU at 95% in a sff case. This has not been tested in a mid-size tower, but what has been found is it if you can pair an open-air card in a mid-size tower, with a blower card in a mini ITX with the same components, the mini ITX build is more than 5 degrees cooler on all the other components

The real reason I'm pushing this meme is it all the tests have been done with open air test benches.

The few times people have compared blowout and open air in cases, open air has always been louder, has always resulted in at least five degrees increasing temperature of the rest of the case, and with a slight increase to fan speed the blower has equal or better sooner than an open at card.

If you can show me some people actually showing that open coolers are better in a case over blowers then I would very much like to see that.

Could it be that open air coolers being better is in fact the meme, pushed by GPU card makers wanting to sell their products at a premium?

Any way I can turn off the fans on my 2080fe? Fans are always running at 40% even at idle and it's rather annoying.

talking about the internals
like the msi evoke oc has only half-size thermal pads for the memory
i was asking because the pulse is recommended meanwhile there currently isn’t any review on the non-red devil powercolor

two ways. one is to just plug in the gpu fans to your motherboard and handle it from there. you can do this stock with at most a fan extension cable or if you want you can buy an aftermarket gpu cooler. second is to just flash an aib bios on your fe.

custom fan curve to 0%?

Really all the people arguing about Blowers being shit really don't understand their purpose.
These companies have alot of brain power behind them and they don't do anything without good reason. Blower fans are intended for the purposes listed here.The based cards being blowers is because those cards aren't actually directed for the consumer but more so OEM manufacturers.
Their properties are of more use to them. Now if your building a SFF it would be wise to get blower because they're made for those purposes.

Hi guys, I need a lil bit of help deciding what to buy(these are used prices in my cunt) .
ryzen 5 2600...110 $
ryzen 5 2600x...140 $
ryzen 7 2700...175 $
ryzen 7 2700x... 211 $
ryzen 5 3600...199 $
ryzen 5 3600x... 211 $
I think the 2600 is the best bang for buck deal and the ryzen 7 2700 comes after it?
Also which mobo do you think is better out of the x470 aorus gaming 7 wifi and the x570 aorus elite if both are at the same price?

should I wait for black friday?

I would do everything I could to get a 3600, that processor is extremely good and by far the best value released in ages

>ryzen 5 3600...199 $
>ryzen 5 3600x... 211 $
>$11 between 3600 and 3600x
>cooler can be sold for $30
wut

they are used, it doesn t come with the cooler, also no one is buying some shity stock coolers around here, probably niggas are scared because of the voltages and want to buy something better LUL
is it about 20% better in gaming than the 2600 with a fuckin 2080 ti , I don t fuckin have a 2080 ti user, also is twice the price of the 2600, doesn t add up does it?

"they are used, it doesn t come with the cooler, also no one is buying some shity stock coolers around here, probably niggas are scared because of the voltages and want to buy something better LUL"
this was for you

Redpill me on the 5700xt. How long with this last me playing 90% of games maxed out at 1440p? A year? Two?

Attached: 14-131-753-Z01.jpg (640x480, 37K)

90% of all games? considering most games aren't graphically intensive at all, probably like 5-8 years

the 3600 is about 20% better than the 2600 in gaming with a fuckin 2080 ti , I don t fuckin have a 2080 ti user, also it is twice the price of the 2600, doesn t add up does it?

You sure? Cause even today it struggles to hit a smooth 60 for a decent amount of games.

like which? at what resolution? genuinely curious

Used 570/80s are recommended, but how about used 470/480s? Aren't they basically same, just the 500 were overclocked by default?

pcpartpicker.com/list/BD6JzY
Monitor?
Eh
I'm European

those games are an exception, most games are not hard to run at all

>mfw neets can't afford to build a new pc

Attached: FB_IMG_15683668787646403.jpg (551x757, 168K)

I mean a high end gaming pc is about the cost of a reasonable vacation, it's a really cheap "hobby"
the highest end pcs are far cheaper than a shitty car, especially when you include maintenance and insurance

seeing the last generations of threadrippers price drop so low makes me think that I should avoid threadripper 3 and just get a 3950x

mATX vs ITX

true, i cringed the last time my friend bragged to me about “getting a good deal” on coilovers
he took me on a ride and i had to fake it and said that i definitely felt an improvement

In many cases Ultra settings are overkill meme. Sometimes even High settings is more than enough.

anyone have any word on these? They're dirt cheap TLC based SSDs and $80 for a 1TB doesn't seem bad at all

Attached: CheapSSD.png (1301x360, 110K)

Thoughts about Windforce?

based chad deals advice

youtube.com/watch?v=d2E1FY6TlPk

AAAAAAAA WHY CAN'T MY CARD OVERCOCK IT'S NOT FAIR

Attached: me in the seat trying to oc.webm (610x776, 2.99M)

culinary perfection

typical asian nu-rich, 2 different people filming an expensive experience to make sure everybody sees what they have, actually paying attention in person is nearly irrelevant

Is this good? WD Blue

Attached: Annotation 2019-09-13 160629.png (561x400, 146K)

>tempted to get either a 9900k or 3950x just for gaming because I want the most frames
>know it's stupid and a waste of money

Attached: 1560676800297.jpg (680x680, 43K)

just do what pcbg buypigs do and insist you're a "workstation user"

>likely DRAM-less garbage
>TLC
it's shit

I'm getting a 3950x and I don't need it. I think it's cool and I can waste a bit of money. I'm a buypig but I'm frugal everywhere else so I think it's ok.

will the pulse rx 5700 xt fit into a corsair 280x? measurements say it will but gut feeling says there might be issues

Get a 2080ti too

don't get a 2080 ti wait for the 3080 ti next year, use a cheaper card to get by until then

Buildzoid said you can crossflash the non-XT with XT vbios and use powertables again so just like the Vega series, get the cheaper one and overclock.

Attached: 1551453440432.webm (960x546, 1.81M)

you should always wait

>corsair 280x
Should be fine.
forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=186314

How is the Asrock x570 Steel legend? I'm looking for the bang for the buck mobo

sounds good, the reason i had reservations is that it looks wider than my 780Ti, thought the power cables would press against the side panel too much

good

avoid corsair

guys pls halp, I am going crazy over this shit

newly built system, worked fine for 2 days, then it stopped posting
thought it was the mobo and had it exchanged, but still same problem

it's a ryzen 3700x, on a x570 gigabyte aorus master board with 2x16gb 3200mhz crucial ballistix lt

I get red DRAM LED for a while and then an error code 07 (which shouldn't even exist on gigabyte boards) and then the CPU LED is red for a short time and the board reboots itself
with the old board I only got a red CPU LED and no post

I breadboarded the thing, tried every possible combination and quadruplechecked every connection and followed pretty much any advice known to no post troubleshooting
it still doesn't work

could the fucking 3700x or the crucial ballistix be broken after using it for 2 days?
I didn't do any overclocking and the temps were never above 36°C...

could the PSU, a corsair HX 850, have fucked up something?

>Thread question: where were you on 9/11 2001?
In 1st grade going home early.

have you tried removing one ram module and testing each one separated?

>have a boring blacked out/grey build
>Didn't intend for it to be like this, I just bought what was the best performing item for the price
>No window on my case either
>See all these RGB builds and figure why not make one of my own instead of my boring PC
>Start adding stuff to my cart online
>6x Corsair mag-lev RGB fans
>Corsair 360mm AiO RGB Pro
>Case with a tempered glass window to show off all my lights
>By the time I'm done adding the $600 or so of shit to my cart, I'm already bored of looking at it

I guess I'm just a boring person by default then.

Attached: 1568319819352.gif (370x335, 593K)

Remove the VR part from the OP. At least for Navi/rdna AMD has fixed and equalized their performance to their Nvidia counterparts.

Is there any serious difference between RAM modules these days? I'm looking at DDR4 dimms and beyond lower vs higher CAS latency I don't really know what I can do to differentiate.

Do any of the manufacturers use higher quality memory or have a record for better reliability/quality?

these days rgb is the basic bitch boring option, if you wanted to do something less boring it would be a case mod or custom aesthetic change not just slapping in dime a dozen rgbshit

I found 2x of these at my local goodwill. I need some fans for my poverty build and these were $4 each. Still sealed so they still have all the little attachments. Are these good? Or should I be looking for something else? I'm just trying to move some air around my old Antec One Hundred case so my hardware doesn't suffocate

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_237279828364878_20190913_100348890.jpg (2048x1179, 1.06M)

Yes and yes
Buy crucial ballistix 3200mhz cas 16 for peak price/performance

yes, each module in each slot

should be fine

case mods and custom loop water cooling are where you want to focus your attention, rgb is just cheap gaymur shit.
that being said, having some color can be tasteful but dont make it a rave.

Any custom cases guide? Like I want to make my own case but I know shit about air flow

Even he takes time out to trigger the weak and faggy Jow Forumsentoomen.
Truly the best president EVA.

Attached: 51958000_10216944734186920_7053317536850378752_n.jpg (554x619, 33K)

3200mhz and cas 16 was what I was looking at since apparently that has a negligible performance advantage over 3600mhz cas 18, but is crucial a good brand? Everyone seems to be buying gskill and corsair but I don't know if that's due to le RGB maymay or if it's actually good quality NAND

crucial is a good brand

so few people do that there's no guides anymore, you're better off starting with an existing frame and modding it
thermaltake and coolermaster make some of the most moddable cases

What about the cheaper brands like Mushkin or T Force? They seem to have some good offerings for a good price and Mushkin doesn't seem very rice, while T-Force is pretty aesthetic with their white LEDs on black instead of generic RGB, but I'm worried about their quality.

To expand, there are only 3 manufacturers of ram that are relevant. These manufacturers are samsung, micron and hynix. Samsung is best but way expensive, hynix tends to be cheapest (by a slim margin) but has poor OC performance and micron is a nice middle ground. I reccommend crucial ram as they are a subsidiary of micron and garunteed to use micron ram. Beyond who manufacturers the ram, the frequency and cas latency are the most relevant specs. See the true latency formula in the OP rentry link

>powercolor red dragon has no RGB

aaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

if you want any RGB i'd go corsair or gskill kits

by that i mean that you can hit white with rgb kits and you still have the option to change the colors later on if you want

I am fine with RGB on RAM, but I'm not looking for it necessarily. I am hoping my next build can be more aesthetic than gaudy