How hard it is to get a software job in the Netherlands as an English speaker?

How hard it is to get a software job in the Netherlands as an English speaker?

I plan to go there to pursue a MSc in CompSci but I wanna know if I'll be able to land a junior developer job without knowing dutch.

I also have the option of going to the UK but I wanna go with my car and the fact that they drive on the left pisses me off.

Attached: flag-prototype-Netherlands-countries-European-flags.gif (375x250, 2K)

Very, very easy.

I'm Dutch and more than half of my colleagues doesn't speak Dutch.
Just apply to big firms.

If desperate, apply at Accenture. They hire everyone with a pulse. And give free Dutch lessons.

We don't like people who don't bother learning the language here, shows a lack of respect. Learn Dutch or go somewhere else. Majority of people here know English very well but at the very least show you're trying to learn Dutch.

Take care not to end up at booking.com.

Attached: org.jpg (1200x1200, 94K)

onzin

We have more people speaking fluent English in here than in the UK.
No need to worry since everyone can understand you.
t. Nederlander

driving on the left is the right way mate

Yes I will, I just wanna know if I can get a job without knowing the language intially. I will be learning dutch during the process.

What about unis?
I plan on applying either in Twente or in Groningen. Are those hard to get into? Will I be able to get a job during the duration of my MSc?(For some reason MSc programmes in the Netherlends are always 2 years)

Unfunny joke

Hard to learn the language when you guys immediately switch to english when I try to speak dutch. This is really common

Lmao, just wanted to notice how much more friendly people from the Netherlands are.

I made the same thread about the UK a couple of weeks back and all I got were "Fuck off we're full"-tier replies.

It's easy to get a job here, especially if you are freshly relocating. If you're stuck in Groningen, Gelderland or Limburg (flyover provinces basically) and not able to relocate for whatever reason, you're out of luck.
About 80-90% of IT related jobs is in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht, which are coincidentally the least Dutch cities of the Netherlands (very internationally oriented).

How''s the pay in NL? My buddies in Silicon Valley are starting at $200k w/ stock options. Obviously rent is high but after taxes they can easily put away $100k.

I know healthcare is cheaper and you have better social services, thicc dutch girls, etc., but are the rates somewhat competitive?

You'll get about 40000 euros pre-tax and living expenses vary. Compared to Silicon Valley tier salaries you get nothing.
However, if you happen to have a few years of experience you could switch to being a "ZZP'er" and easily ask 100+ euros an hour for contract work, but this has more to do with your negotiation and corporate dick sucking skills than your actual technical skills. Don't expect any Dutch girls to like you unless you're in excellent shape.

I must add, for foreigners it is more appealing to start working in the Netherlands due to our stupid tax system which gives foreigners a large tax cut for the first few years you work here. I don't know the specifics for this but it is an extra kick in the nuts for Dutch workers, so definitely look it up if you're seriously considering.

There are also some very decent job opportunities in Twente (Overijssel). And living expenses are much lower here than in the major cities.

Jokes on you I'm already here and with a dutch girl. I'm a skinny fuck so not really in excellent shape.

Yea I don't qualify for that tax break because I'm here on a separate visa. From what I understand that tax break is to incentive foreigners to come here.

If I wasn't here to fuck your women I would not be here with that fucking meme salary. Heathcare may be expensive in the US but if you're not Europoor it doesn't even matter.

I think the Netherlands has the highest percentage of English speakers of all the non-English speaking countries. We dutchies think English sounds cool or something.

More than enough opportunity, perhaps, but there's also more competition to get those low living expenses so it's not as easy as getting a job in the shitty international cities.

Attached: IT-Nederland.png (1488x632, 45K)

:)

>If desperate, apply at Accenture. They hire everyone with a pulse. And give free Dutch lessons.
Not OP, but I'm willing to believe that. I'm from a country in the EU where Accenture has a branch. There was a guy hired as a junior dev in my company, first impressions weren't positive - he was a bit cocky, didn't know even the basics. Long story short, he ended up being helpless, doing fuck all for some months until he was laid off. Fast forward to a year +, he works at Accenture as a software engineer. Only thing is, that just happened because of the country, didn't know the company is run like this.

There is a big shortage here in the Netherlands. And there are plenty of companies that need IT people.
The bank and insurance sectors have even begun training people themselves.

But I would recommend learning the language. It makes it much easier to get a life here. And actively invite people for a drink after work, as Dutch people don't actively bother to make new friends.You can be fluent in Dutch in a couple months. It's easier than German or French.

Not in Amsterdam or other major cities.
This person obviously has had many big sex.
If you want them to speak dutch you should tell them directly, Dutch people will assume nothing and expect you to be very direct about stuff.
nvm the autists, welcome to the Netherlands I hope you enjoy our IT culture and generally nice people c:

>big shortage here in the Netherlands
Kind of disagree there, mainly because salaries are stagnant and companies aren't willing to accept much remote work within the Netherlands, even though most jobs can easily be filled remotely for least 4 out of 5 days.
Unless I see companies make QoL changes for Dutch workers I don't buy into the shortage meme. The only shortage they seem to have is a _cheap_ workforce.
Any salary increase barely matches inflation, unless you're in a government or semi-government position where your salary is adjusted for inflation directly.

Yeah, I got fucked.

>You'll get about 40000 euros pre-tax and living expenses vary.
Literally how is this possible if it’s as easy as you claim to get a job in IT in NL? I got paid at a higher rate interning as a code monkey at a gas utility over here.

There is a real world wide shortage of actual developers, this shortage is in monkeys though.

That the wages are low is more of a cultural problem, because we face the same issue in other sectors with a shortage of workers.
There is this religious believe here that people shouldn't earn more than 2 to 4 times minimum wage. The only exception is if you are a freelancer or business owner.

Groningen is pretty damn comfy, but quite far away from the big jobs unless you wanna work at Google's Eemshaven outpost.

developers get shit pay in NL, its why they all move to other countries.

The median income in the Netherlands is 36000 according to a quick Google, so it's slightly better..

This. my dad kept preaching on about how you have made it if you earn twice the norm.

Piss easy - you do NOT need Dutch to work at large enough software firms. Many of our universities speak English, and have lots of English-only members.

In from Veluwe (Dutchbat Alabama) and i have work

You're gonna be fine OP

I'm getting paid 365 euros a month at my internship. I'm overseeing a project which will save them a fuckload of work if it gets implemented correctly. Internships are never fair.

I did an internship for my bachelor in the Netherlands. And the school literally said it was forbidden for me to get paid a regular wage, because that would give the employer the impression that I was a fulltime worker. While I was there to learn.

Sigh.

I was merely referring to how easy it is to get a job, see for a rough estimation how vacancies are distributed in the Netherlands. For every 6 vacancies, nearly 5 are in North Holland, South Holland, Utrecht and Noord Brabant.

Yeah, it be like that. I earned 1800 good boy points for a 6 month internship.

Sad part is you are basically a fulltime worker. Next year I'm going abroad for my internship.

this region is cancer tho (posting on different device now)

also, my work in in Utrecht

and i was thinking the Hogeschool Utrecht was shit...

You're still correct.

Sumpfdeutsche raus!

Attached: 1474411845007.jpg (660x751, 145K)

>inb4 Germany loses another war

I dropped out of windesheim last year and moved to japan, best decision I ever made.

I've heard that BSc programmes are quite though in the Netherlands(Like if you're below 70% you automatically drop out)

Are MSC programmes in CompSci hard to get through? Do they require lots of dedication? Asking to know if I can work on the side while studying?

>I've heard that BSc programmes are quite though in the Netherlands(Like if you're below 70% you automatically drop out)
The first year of a BSc program usually has a brainlet filter, which is called BSA, causing about 50% dropout rate in the first year at my university. After that the non-brainlets usually do well enough to pass the rest of the Bachelor's program.
Basically, the first year a student should be getting 60 european credits. Brainlets who complain about BSA can't even manage to get 36 or 45 depending on where they enrolled.
As a consequence of this brainlet filter, many universities actually made the first year subjects easier because they get subsidies based on the amount of students enrolled.

I disagree, the people in my study were utter retards who barely had the capability to breathe air.

For their funding, ideal scenario is you dropping it at half a year and reapplying at another study directly.

The real issue is that if you have autism, ADHD, or some other mental disorder you get to pass with a lower BSA norm. I don't know if any of you ended up with any autists or retards on the team but its 0/10 and one of the reasons why I dropped out in my 3rd year.

Bump

gebaseerd en rood pilled
Thanks user... kind of hate being Europoor by US standards but you have a superior country is most ways.

Twente is good if you like start up environment and in general a lets make money mentality with low living costs.

dude. i started a (first) dev job 2 weeks ago. i just got a linkedin message from this hr lady inviting me to vienna for interviews with tech companies. i've been a "dev" for two fucking weeks. i don't even speak german. i'm not even a cs grad. i'm a fucking college drop out. i've got almost 8 years work experience at a totally non-related job. it's the same all over europe. if you want to be a developer you just have to show up for interviews.

go to the Amnesia Coffee Shop
I remember talking to an older American who lives in the area and has a computer business.
I didn't go too deep and didn't ask questions I was stoned.

>hr lady inviting me to vienna for interviews with tech companies
Fully sponsored interview trips or is it just a scam? You'll get a lot more LinkedIn spam either way. There are so many recruiters who want their little commission and they'll fuck any potential candidate over to get it.

It isn't like that imho. I live nearby The Hague University and went there once because of school. Nice people and there's an IT place. Besides, Dutch people don't mind you not being able to speak (proper) Dutch. Heck, they'll most likely speak English. My neighbors are students and are still learning English and are doing pretty well.

Tl;dr: don't worry about it too much as you can easily land a job. Though, learning Dutch is always a nice thing.

she seems legit. not that it matters i'm greatful to the team that hired me for this chamce i'm not leaving them for at least 5 years. i've been in the last comapny for 5 also. anyhoo: do they only fuck you over or are there any desperate ones that would literally fuck you? sponsored interview trips like this would be nice though ... no harm in attending.

>dropout
how does your daily routine at work look like?
how much do you make?

My bachelor degree was fairly easy. If you attend to all classes you will likely pass.

My master degree was very hard. You have to know every book. And be able to reproduce it to the letter. If I knew everything, then I just got a passing grade due missing some points on the motivation of the conclusion.

That's my experience in the Netherlands anyway.

i come to work around 8, fiddle around with basic stuff, work on smaller issies, push to git, submit merge requests wait for code reviews fix the shit i broke, push again wait for new assignments in jira. leave around 4pm/5pm. i make 1500 nett. i have 6 months trial then i go long term. better than working in a fucking warehouse that's for sure.

Which country?

Italy

I can confirm that. Basically impossible to find (capable) devs in Vienna, even harder in the smaller cities ...

Sorry, we're full.

We zitten vol

>are there any desperate ones that would literally fuck you?
I haven't met those yet, maybe someone else can pitch in with some nice made up story.

checked. figured as much. a man can dream though ...

Age?

That's a load of crap. Many Dutch firms would hire foreign employees if they're any good and speak decent English at least. Maybe just not some very small firms but fuck those.

Pretty doable, I have a friend from Iran at the Utrecht University. She got a job just fine.

I've been a developer for about 3 years now. Currently I'm doing a HBO Bachelor Informatica at NTI (part-time), and by the time I'm done with it I'm going to have 6-7 years experience as a developer. Is it worth it for me to go to university to do a BSc in CompSci once I'm done with HBO or if I want to specialize in something I'll just have to do the research on my topic of interest by myself.

Point being that even now with only a few years experience as a developer I can expand my skills in whichever region I want to by myself. I'm just wondering whether it's worth it in the long run. Maybe networking with people in academia? I don't even know in what I want to specialize yet. Maybe AI? Maybe something else? As far as getting a job is concerned I don't need the BSc. But what if I want to do R&D in the future? Do it then at least need a BSc?

Fuck off we don't want you hear. Else learn the fucking language. Tired of all you foreigners talking English.

40000 euros...a fucking year? If my yearly bonus is smaller I start wondering if my company is dying. Why the fuck to Euros allow their asses to be fucked so hard?

Dude free healthcare lmao

average monthly salaries, multiply by 12 and then multiply by 1.08 for the average yearly salaries.
it shouldn't be too hard to read for English natives.

Attached: AVG-Nederland.png (1081x418, 45K)

idk but their weed is nice

that's because we are full, so do fuck off

you're still importing niggers though

not if i had my way

Attached: 13325522_1371930269485329_1955741352562601199_n.jpg (960x552, 81K)

You haven't had a taste of the HanzeXperience it seems.

I'm planning on finding a internship or minor in Japan as someone that's lived in the Netherlands all his life. However I don't know a lot about actually going there for half a year but I'm able to read about ~1500 words in Japanese. Do you have any tips on finding something and going to Japan?

can i also leave my email/password and phone number please?