/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Consider Trisquel edition.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

A must-read: blagblagblag.org/anarchism/index.html

Previous thread:

Attached: trisquel logo.png (599x230, 70K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mpv.io/manual/master/
github.com/libfuse/libfuse/tree/master/example
thepythoncorner.com/2017/02/writing-a-fuse-filesystem-in-python/?source=post_page-----5e0f2de3a813----------------------
wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad
reddit.com/r/Gentoo/comments/bzyc3f/im_just_going_to_say_it_i_get_excited_when_my/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CheckInstall
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What age did you grow out of minimalism, /fglt/?

I never grew into it

the age where I started working

nixbros do you mix channels? if so in what way? do you have most system packages from unstable and a few critical packages from stable or the other way around?

stop doing things

I'm about to install gentoo
talk me out of it

Nope, go ahead and enjoy some of the finest package management around.

do it but don't use it for everyday use
would definetly not recommend. But it is an insane learning experience that I think every linux user should go through. If you reach the point where you have a window manager and a browser set up with both sound and wifi working you can go install some other distro

>do it but don't use it for everyday use
I want to install it exactly for everyday use, moreover, as a multimedia workstation. There are gentoo communities that are dedicated to this. Why shouldn't I use it in such way?

Attached: Torvalds with Stallman.jpg (525x350, 75K)

You could do it but it will require astronomical amounts of patience. You also have to make your setup fool proof
In gentoo you can't just add a package real quick to deal with an emergency
Also updates kinda suck with gentoo because they're so slow. If you opt into a system that is not minimal, updates will take ages depending on your cpu.
I ended up getting annoyed with having to recompile kernel, look up USE flags, change us flags and wait for compiling every time i needed a package so I just left it for nixos that is almost as customisable because it's also source based but everything can be setup faster and it's more stable

hey, thanks for your reply
>I just left it for nixos that is almost as customisable because it's also source based but everything can be setup faster and it's more stable
I thought it uses binary packages? and also, is it harder to install than Gentoo?

it downloads binaries only if you don't choose to modify the package (which I think even gentoo should consider especially for stuff like browsers) otherwise it compiles. I know I'd reconsider going back to it if it did
And no it's not harder to install because the package manager just installs it for you, you just have to lear the nix language so you can tell the package manager how to install it. Take this as a rule nothing is harder to install than gentoo, except maybe LFS :)

Oh btw piece of advice setup ccache as soon as you install, it'll help you with updates as it caches C objects

How do I go about learning how to work with Cisco network gear while using Debian?
There's software that lets you simulate cisco based networks for Windows, but what is there for us?
I may get the chance to work in an environment that heavily uses Cisco gear and I only have basic knowledge on how to work with them.
Certainly not enough to be comfortable operating them in a work critical stage

so, I better stick to a *buntu based system then :)

Someone has never heard of genkernel and desktop profiles, I see. Gentoo is perfectly fine for everyday use.
>inb4 what's the point then
You still enjoy the benefits of Portage.

What do i put in mpv's input.conf to make the window fill the screen?

Usecase: Some videos are 1440:2560 but i rotate them with "video-rotate" to make them landscape orientation. But doing that they are now within the window and not full sized. I want to make the window fill the screen

Looking at the manual
mpv.io/manual/master/

"fill" and "maximize" dont seem to be options

>Also updates kinda suck with gentoo because they're so slow.
not an issue if you do them in the background
you can increase portage's nice level (to make it lower priority) so you can still use your computer for other things
stable gentoo doesn't update that often anyway

press shift+w
>w and W
>Decrease/increase pan-and-scan range. The e key does the same as W currently, but use is discouraged.
the option is --panscan

>panscan
No, i dont want to zoom in or move the video off of the mpv program screen of the window.
I need to maximize the window to fix the screen

debian, fedora or mint? I primarily use my laptop just for youtube, music, watching movies and shit.

is there a way to limit ram or disk usage on jails made with deboostrap?

Attached: 1560250180018.jpg (800x568, 100K)

How difficult is GPU pass through to set up?

how hard is to make my own fuse filesystem with custom open() function?

copy one of the examples and edit it
github.com/libfuse/libfuse/tree/master/example
passthrough.c is the simplest one

whats the best mpv with GUI for linux?

mpv

soundd great!
also how of a terrible idea is to make a program that thinks that they are opening a file but instead they are sending a request to a server that compiles a file for them

mpv doesn't have a gui so its useless for me. windows has mpv.net, which is excellent. what's the lincucks alternative?

Pretty easy if you just use python
thepythoncorner.com/2017/02/writing-a-fuse-filesystem-in-python/?source=post_page-----5e0f2de3a813----------------------

just installed Xubuntu, can anyone help me with making the trackpoint and trackpad actually useable? I lowered the settings in Mouse and Trackpad to minimum but it's still way too fast.

im reading it but i prefer to use because im going to bind another language to c

an gentoo overlays with icecat?

any gentoo overlays with icecat?

Question Jow Forumsentlemen. I'm currently a Windows user and wonder where to go in the fork in the road ie Ubuntu vs Fedora. I understand that Ubuntu is very noob friendly, I've tested it for a couple months and its very comfy. Which one though is best to learn for industry even if I don't go the sysadmin route? Say for c/embedded in the future or QA testing?

Attached: afooginmoonkey.jpg (1400x787, 119K)

I have a config file that I need to generate for a program that doesn't understand variables, so I want to make the config file with variables in it, and then get the shell to somehow convert it into a form with the variables expanded.

Eg

$ cat omfg
$FVWM_USERDIR
$ echo $(cat omfg)
$FVWM_USERDIR
$ echo $FVWM_USERDIR
/home/fl12/.fvwm

I want something like

$ echo ${$(cat omfg)}
sh: ${$(...}: Bad substitution

...but that doesn't work.

Give this a read, it's meant for Debian but I believe xubuntu handles it in the same way with the Synaptics driver

Editing the files mentioned may give you finer control
wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad

Personally I only had to use it to enable tap-to-click though

install gentoo

eval echo $(cat omfg)
(not very safe...)

install gentoo

install gentoo

What would be a good laptop to get in order to install gentoo?

>try xubuntu
>clicks randomly not registering
>sound crackle in headphone randomly when nothing is playing
>everything is less responsive than fucking Windows
>touchpad and trackpoint feel like shit
nice meme distro, gonna try Mint or some shit.

What's a non-fucked way of doing this

#!/bin/sh
case $1 in
0) pass1=true;;
1) pass1=true;;
2) pass1=true;;
*) pass1=bs;;
esac
if [ $pass1 = true ]
then
case $2 in
0) pass2=true;;
1) pass2=true;;
2) pass2=true;;
*) pass2=bs;;
esac
fi
if [ $pass2 = true ]
then
case $3 in
l) sequence=good;;
m) sequence=good;;
r) sequence=good;;
*) sequence=bs;;
esac
fi
if [ $sequence = good ]
then
echo "this is a matching sequence"
echo "and now do some commands with $1 $2 and $3"
fi

Attached: 0d6.png (472x470, 304K)

Attached: t800HatesPenguins.gif (330x177, 991K)

with a 18-core cpu

Do we still hate Pottering and systemd?

"We" don't encourage herd thinking.

Ermm, actually that gave out errors as if a pass wasn't = true the subsequent "case" statements did not assign a value to the variable causing the conditional [ $variable = true ] to return [: =: unexpected operator.

This is better
case $1 in
0) pass1=true;;
1) pass1=true;;
2) pass1=true;;
*) pass1=bs;;
esac
if [ $pass1 = true ]
then
case $2 in
0) pass2=true;;
1) pass2=true;;
2) pass2=true;;
esac
else
pass2=bs
fi
if [ $pass2 = true ]
then
case $3 in
l) sequence=good;;
m) sequence=good;;
r) sequence=good;;
esac
else
sequence=bs
fi
if [ $sequence = good ]
then
echo "do x with $1 $2 and $3
else
echo "do y with $1 $2 and $3
fi
Ideally it should be able to survive only $1 and $2 existing without spitting out errors.

What's a good FOSS PDF reader for Fedora? Needs to have highlighting and allow notes.

EMACS

Isn't emacs a CLI application? How can it open PDFs?

EMACS is everything.

>How can it open PDFs?
it does very shittily
try zathura or okular

All you are going to get is "install gentoo" " install arch" and "muh emacs" out of this place.
>why isn't there more support for linux
>acts like a fuckhead
>why don't more people use linux?

Nice pixels.

not true by the way.

I don't want more people using GNU/linux though

why?

Okular is a 40MB download and Zathura has no UI

Evince seems like its the best choice
Thanks for the help

If I want to do a “factory reset” of my Linux distro, can I just load an iso of the same distro and boot/install it again? Will it understand to delete the disk of the “former” distro and make a totally new one? Or will that lead to weird results?

because most people are annoying and entitled

Just zap the disk first so there's no ambiguity.

dd if=your.iso of=/dev/sda

Do it.
Ive started using linux at the beginning of summer (started with arch) and went over to gentoo, its not hard, just intimidating. I use it everyday no problem, its fun and compile times aint bad.

>because most people are annoying and entitled
Kind of like the holy linux gatekeeper NEETs.

Alright not completely. But its different atmosphere over in /fwt/.

Anyone, thats the whole point of gentoo it works fuckin everywhere.

I'm wondering why no tech news site covers the bad side of the Microsoft Linux meme and the Linux Foundation's transition to a proprietary software shill proxy. Every day you read some news about yet another "Open Source" thing some proprietary software company did and everyone is like hurray, not realizing the free bait being the free ticket back into proprietary software county. When you go to linux.com, it seems that all writers except one are gone, and the posts are all about things I just described. The Linux Foundation doesn't even make a secret about it's shilling service at their site; as a member you get shilling through social media, conference keynotes, branding, email, and even at fucking lunches and dinners with the "top Open Source leaders" you get your shit shilled, but the news and a large part of the community seems never want to discuss this topic. This is a bad sign.

Until the dummy that installed it tries to use it.

reddit.com/r/Gentoo/comments/bzyc3f/im_just_going_to_say_it_i_get_excited_when_my/

anyone can use GNU/linux if they want to
developers provide edequate documentation
you just have to be intelligent enough to piece things together
if you can't even that, GNU/linux isn't for you
It isn't an OS for the mentally retarded

I don’t get what you’re trying to say. Are you implying they claim to represent open source but are actually trying to push paid software?

>2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
Why not?
>3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.
Please replace the problematic language in this

>paid
are you retarded

good post

GNo.

Is there a super easy way to compile source code using universal commands? Or does each program require digging through its documentation?

You didn't answer my first question and this is supposed to be friendly problematic language is not friendly

you mean like make ??

install gentoo

Most programs want you to find and install the dependancies run the configure script in their folder then run the command "make" and then "sudo make install"

Have already your language is still problematic

github usually has installation instructions for various platforms.
Also if you use a deb or rpm distro, consider using checkinstall.

So basically you can just run configure, install what it tells you, and repeat until you can press make

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CheckInstall

Typically yes

Apparently Intel HD 4000 has Vulkan support on Linux, does it run well for MPV, vkQuake, D9/XVK for low end gaymes? Getting an Ivy Bridge laptop in the mail and want to know any experiences with it.

Trips of truth that I agree with. But the Linux community on Jow Forums are a bunch of ill mannered degenerates.

My two cents:
- don't hate free software developers for making free software
- if you don't like some software, don't use some software
- if for any reason your distro doesn't allow you not to use that software, blame the distro maintainers
- if it offends you that some software "takes over the system", blame everyone who pushed it

The Linux community sucks to be honest.

thn go back to r*ddit

Red Hat admins are tru bros. The ubuntu forums are very helpful too. But where is Ubuntu actually used?

Stop using Windows.

qpdfview is the best GNU/Linux PDF reader

If I start using arch will everyone stop bullying me?

Cloud and amateurish stuff in small to medium shops.
Enterprise is dominated by RHEL and SLES because they are supported for a minimum of 10 years and you can buy extended support still.
Good luck getting Canonical to match that. And even then, Canonical only supports the Main repo. Universe is community supported.

stop using arch

depends if you have cute feet or not

So what should I use then?

is it true that its community is too old and insular?