Battery icons shape perceptions of time and space and define user identities

New research from Cass Business School has found that battery icons on mobile phones shape how people view time and space, and how battery conservation practices define user identities.

>People who regularly allow their phone batteries to run out of charge were identified as "frightfully frustrating", "disorganised" and "inconsiderate".

>"We found that people who let their phones batteries run out are viewed by others as out of touch with the social norm of being connected and therefore unable to be competent members of society," Dr. Robinson said.

>"Phones have become such a nexus for everything that we are that an inability to effectively manage battery life becomes symbolic of an inability to manage life."

phys.org/news/2019-09-battery-icons-perceptions-space-user.html

Attached: 1540496040503.png (800x480, 117K)

tl;dr some faggot academics read too deep into fucking battery icons

Makes sense, it's always stupid people that borrow charges, 100% of the time.

t. brainlet

Attached: 1559007488919.png (547x480, 57K)

Don't forget that people get paid to research and write about this shit.

so? it's useful research. only a retard doesn't see the value in this.

>Say "Battery icons shape perceptions of time and space"
>write an article about how people who drain their battery are fucking idiots
what are we even paying scientists for?

Is this bitching because I can't be connected at all times? Who the fuck wants that? If my shit dies, well tough shit my dude, you're going to have to wait. Owning a phone doesn't sign me up to be contacted at a moment's notice.

>scheduled for publication in the journal Marketing Theory

the paper is not making statements about people, it is saying how people PERCEIVE others based on their behavior towards battery and lack of charging and how battery level has effect on anxiety.

open the fucking link and learn to read.

>"People no longer think about their destination being 10 km away or 10 stops on the tube. They think about it being 50 per cent of their battery away," said the study's lead author, Dr. Thomas Robinson.
>"During interviews respondents discussed how a full battery gauge made them feel positive and as though they could go anywhere or do anything. Anything less than half full, however, induced feelings of profound anxiety and discomfort," he said.
>One of the study's respondents described the experience of watching their battery icon throughout the day: "Full would be 'Yeah, ok great', good to go for the day'; 50 per cent I'd be a bit 'Oh God, I had better stop it from updating itself all the time in the background' ... then it would be at 30 per cent and I would be like: 'Now I'm not having fun anymore'," the respondent said.
Holy shit, is this how normies really think? lmao

I have the same issue.
>take a trip to another city
>ticket is on my phone
>barely make it back in the evening with battery almost dead

their fucking title says PEOPLE AND TIME SPACE then they fucking write instead about people shaming others for their fucking idiocy. Like yours

i get the idea that having low battery on your phone is going to make you less likely to go out somewhere and more likely to go somewhere and recharge which inevitably means a literal and metaphorical recharge

but i also think they're trying to read too much into it because they're trying to make it exciting to get more attention. and because they need a framework to write the paper within. battery packs that you can carry around are a thing and kind of exist to circumvent that

you would know if you opened the link and read it retard.

This is clearly shitty pop science, if you unironicaly believe that you have a victim complex and are retarded

I WONT CLICK SHIT NIGGA

t. zoomer who can't read the actual article

It's another generalisation and correlation-causation fallacy sort of study, everyone move on.

now that someone mentions it, disorganized people tend to have issues with batteries
like, back in highschool we had a couple really unorganized people, you know like fogetting textbooks or homework and always having to ask what the next lesson is and so on
and these people were also unorganized with their batteries, some days they forgot to charge their phone and it shut down, then they have to ask around for powerbanks and cables, then they also forget that and so on
really interesting to think about actually

oh god, i fucking hate them!
>gf always forgets stuff, like charging her phone
>gift her a small power bank that can fit in her purse and isnt heavy
>still fucking forgets to carry it with her but she doesnt ever forget to carry other meaning less shit that she wouldnt use on a regular basis
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

found the incompetent retard that the research talks abou

You got it reversed. They need to write this shit in order to get paid.

The difference is more important than you think.
Doing actual good research is hard and might not even deliver satisfactory results, meaning they won't get paid. It's easier to just research shit like this. They probably choose its specifically because it sounded like it would get some articles written about it, which it succeeded at.
I'm sure it's part of why the replication crisis exists, why work hard when you can just produce garbage?

>Battery lasts 24 hours
>Literally don't even think about charge level, just plug it in each night and know with full confidence that it won't run out before the next evening
Imaging having to live around your devices instead of the other way around.

Nothing about this is useful, like most research

I don't see any research. It's the same old "we asked 50 people some questions and now make implications over all humans on the planet".

>youre disconnected from society if you dont update your blog or be within resch 24/7
>anyone who doesnt is an outcast
I want off this ride. They should have included social media statistics in the study as well

Attached: 1568368722320.jpg (1280x720, 435K)

fpbp

>people who let their batteries run out are out of touch with the social norm
There's nothing more normal and typical than hugging the wall at an airport, in classrooms and even at work because you just NEED to get a few minutes of charge for your shitty phone.

Attached: baka.jpg (233x225, 14K)

You should just have a purse that holds a charger for her.

I am home if i have to go somewhere ill plug my phone in and get ready and phone will be charged. There's also a charger in my car so i will always have the phone charged when going somewhere why am I being judged for not having the phone constantly plugged in while im chilling at home fuck you

Attached: Screenshot_20190913-161719.jpg (997x451, 80K)

don't succumb to the electric jew

Attached: star.jpg (1296x968, 197K)

That photo is a few years old already. Always wondered what kind of person the boy in the picture is now.

>tfw neet and i check my phone ever other day

Attached: index.jpg (309x163, 8K)

>babbies first tablet.
God, I hate these people.

/thread

You are the brainlet here.

Attached: file.png (300x168, 54K)

I feel I'm good for the day if I have 40% or so. Fast charging has made me stop caring about when I need to charge since I can get enough for the day in like 10 minutes.

i have an iphone xr so i don’t have this problem
:)

>iToy
>battery
lmao

>he has to worry about lasting the rest of the day when his smartphone reaches 50%
my 10Ah monster phone doesn't have this problem

it does when it isn't coupled with a shit tier slow cpu/gpu and you are actually actively using it.

Yeah and they should also include stress, anxiety and neuroticism levels.

These are the same fucks that you code data harvesting softwares for
Fuck you Jow Forums I want my privacy and anonymity back

This is why Jew companies wont develop better batteries

>thinking this is valuable information

>not getting the value in this
smoothbrain

>2019
>not owning a wireless charger so your battery is always at 100% when you leave the house.

Whenever I use public transport I'm often the only one not staring down at his phone.
Apparently this makes me the one "out of touch with society"

>i have an iphone xr so i don’t have this problem yet
ftfy :)

>when you leave the house.
you don't need wireless garbage for that, and this is not about leaving the house with a full battery

No, being on Jow Forums makes you the one out of touch with society.

Attached: 1548996969661.gif (297x167, 819K)

And so people who always bring external batteries with them are always happy-go-lucky?

>you don't need wireless garbage for that

In theory not.
But leaving your phone plugged in all the time is a hassle when you get calls/texts to answer, so you end up unplugging it.

>this is not about leaving the house with a full battery
So this is about taking 3+ day trips?
A full charge should last you to the end of the day at least.

I'm afraid I don't know the context of your image. It has been years that I watch almost nothing (in the last two years, I only watched that Blame! new thing).
Yandex just tells me that this is "Catgirls Science Institute."

I can't tell the genders of the middle-sized critters at the left and right edges of the photo.

>disorganized stupid people tend to be disorganized and stupid
>this disorganization and stupidity manifests itself in observable phenomena
>people who are around disorganized stupid people notice these phenomena, which makes them realize these disorganized stupid people are disorganized and stupid
>OBVIOUSLY IT'S ALL ABOUT THE PHONE BATTERY
I hate. I am not hateful of any singular item, for the things to hate are too diverse and numerous to define with words.
I simply hate.

my phone is sitting on a wireless charger right now and im still going to call you a faggot for trying to advocate for them in such a jewish manner

i can replace an iphone battery in like 15 minutes, an hour total if i bother with replacing the water resistance rubber adhesive / gasket and most of that would be just waiting.
the xr is an unironically good phone.

Battery icon? I prefer a timer that estimates how much time is left on the charge.

wow zoomers are retarded

You probably think the marketing gumpf shat out by the people who designed the new Pepsi logo is "inspiring"

>strawman

Maybe she just doesn't want to talk to you. Have you considered that?

>goes to school to be a faggot

I don't get this at all. My battery lasts multiple days. I have a computer at home and things to do in the day, what the fuck are people doing on their phones all the time?

I just listen to spooky stories on youtube at work, or while on the go.

No, this is equivalent to hiring a nanny to do things for you

fpbp
this will effect nobody ever

I'm a bit of an autist but sometimes my battery is still above 90 after a whole day. I don't use it much, keep brightness very low, and always have low power mode on (I don't get why'd you'd ever want it off)

Attached: 1534869595335.jpg (950x944, 174K)