Where did it go wrong

>Wikileaks was releasing data exposing corruption and scandal in corporations and government

>The pirate bay was standing up to draconian copyright legislation

>Lulz sec went on it's reign of terror taking down the CIA website and orchestrating the sony leak and hacking several news organizations

>Jow Forums takes down Visa in retaliation for the government's clampdown on piracy and for the take-down of wikileaks

for a moment it felt like there was an enormous cyberspace revolt against the interests who control our governments and corporations and use it to dictate rules to enrich themselves while curtailing the rights and freedoms of us all

did we fail? Did the corporations and their pets and puppets in government manage to arrest and intimidate away anyone from questioning them again?

Did people just stop caring about the things that mattered? Did we resolve to arguing over android or apple, forgetting about the greater forces that limit how we use technology and control how we behave

Did we lose the internet and everything else?

Attached: pepe.jpg (620x330, 18K)

It went wrong with everything you mentioned, and Snowden was the last straw.

I remember each and every one of these events. I also remember feeling like freedom would always win, but I was a stupid teenager; and although my ideals remain the same I don't feel like we're winning anymore

everyone that was relevant got arrested, suicided, or otherwise shut down
everyone else is a lemming, and went following the Disney/MCU breadcrumbs instead

I wouldn't say the movements are yet to fail, but they are drowning in an ever increasing sea of people who do not care or even promote what the government and the corps are doing. They make up the majority of buying power and are catered to, then later optimized for to increase profits (like data mining).

There's also the fact that the "negative" (as viewed from the public, subjective) results of these things, like hacktivism, are shown in a light that makes most recoil. The masses likely think they'd be branded terrorists just for supporting them. Because of groupthink and the "if it exists, someone is obliged to profit from it" mentality, freedom is indeed losing. It's quite disheartening.
>arguing over android or apple
It's likely a past time to forget. Some take pills, other drink or become sexual deviants to forget. Consumerism is another aspect of that. Almost no one wants to get arrested or die for this cause, so we're just waiting for something even bigger to happen.

Attached: 1379394523559.jpg (530x695, 211K)

don't give up

there is still hope

Attached: 29_m1.jpg (620x466, 88K)

No there isn't. The world is fucked desu, and it's our fault for letting it get like this.

The mainstream internet is a lost cause, everyone who cared has given up and moved underground.

Reminder that this also includes Jow Forums.

You failed because you attacked the ephemeral institutions instead of the people behind them. Step aside and let Jow Forums show you how it's done.

Attached: hitler progressive.png (600x805, 489K)

Digits speak truth 2bh.

>Where did it go wrong
the day you popped out of your mother

>for a moment it felt like there was an enormous cyberspace revolt against the interests who control our governments and corporations and use it to dictate rules to enrich themselves while curtailing the rights and freedoms of us all
Only felt like it, all that shit actually accomplished nothing in the long run.
>did we fail?
Yes.
>Did people just stop caring about the things that mattered?
They never actually cared, it was basically just people having some fun, not actual action. And then they got bored.
>Did we lose the internet and everything else?
No. It's still the same as always.
What changed are the services available and the amount of people using it.
You don't need accounts on any of the big normie websites, you can still host your own server, you have more bandwidth, the infrastructure is still "decentralized" and open, the protocols are all the same or better.
Go do something you want, no one is going to stop you unless you host CP.
You can bypass 99% of governmental restrictions with a good VPN, and with barely any impact on your bandwidth.
Stop the negativity and do something fun. Politics is bait and you won't accomplish anything, do things just for fun. Wanna be a nazi who hates niggers? Sure, but don't take it so seriously to the point of getting unironically mad about it.

underground where

There was a strong anti-mainstream counter culture on the internet.

Powers that be within the establishment saw the power of jaded, tech-savvy young white men and coopted them into normal society.

Attached: tegaki.png (400x400, 5K)

stop larping nigger

Piratebay and piracy in general is still standing, user.

but for how long

Probably as long as internet exists.

>he was one of those pathetic "we are legion" faggots
>he is a frogposter now

Cancer back then, still cancer today. Kill yourself, OP.

Fuck he got trips.

kys avatarfag

you’re a nobody

higly doubtful

Mainstream: Facebook, twitter, etc.
Lower Mainstream: Shit like reddit
Middleground: Fediverse, Jow Forums, 8ch, Kiwifarms
Entry Level Underground: Niche forums, niche imageboards
Serious Business Only: Tor/Zeronet/GNUnet only websites

>lower mainstream
>reddit
stopped reading there

They can't stop it, trying to take down piratebay only resulted in 100 other mirror sites popping up. They'll have to get rid of the internet to stop piracy.

I disagree with your blanket evaluation of that era

yes Anonymous was cancerous in part but they also did some good things, and raised awareness for important issues in tech

yes faggotry abounded - but that's a part of having a distributed system with no clear leader

but the thing is they challenged bad behaviour of corporations, today that bad behavior hasn't stopped, if anything it's gotten worse, but no one is questioning it or challenging it, so corporate power over information and technology is just growing and becoming consolidated

as for cancerous effect on Jow Forums, /b/ didn't get better after anonymous was removed, if anything it got worse

Attached: op_sony.jpg (640x500, 106K)

reddit is mainstream enough in that everyone knows it exists, but it's not FB/IG/twitter popular. Of all the major social media networks, it is by far the least popular and makes the least revenue.

Genuine question:
Did you ever think you had the power to do anything in the first place? Are Westerners this delusional?

yes, it's one of the benefits of living in societies that aren't totalitarian

in fact it's people claiming power that led to every major change in the West, from the tennis court oath, the manga carta to the declaration of independence

Attached: EPA-russia-protest-4-jt-170326_16x9_992.jpg (992x558, 89K)

I want to go back Jow Forumsentlemen

We are anomalous
We are a religion
We forgot
We forgave
Exepeliarmus

Ha ha so funnieh

absolutely based

I agree, we lost. The corps offered ease and convenience and that is what will end us. Anyone got some soma? Need to show the alexa telescreen that I took my daily dose.

everything changed when 2012 went by and we didn't die

Why not freenet?

Uhmmmm...... that’s NOT how you say it...

>everything changed when 2012 went by and we didn't die
What makes you think we didn't?

/thread

It sounds good and feels good to think this and just mind our own business.

But the corporate interests aren't stopping, they're pushing for more control over information, technology and culture and it's getting worse. Both online and off.

We're already in a place where it's nearly impossible to unplug and escape that control and doing so requires substantial isolation and alienation from society at large, and that trend is only going to grow.

is Zeronet finally not dead? I checked it out some time ago and it was full of very slow forums and video sites that didn't load

also cool repeating digits

The coercion is next. Big tech is getting more and more in bed with the government. The consequences for not wanting to be in the botnet "for convenience" will go from normies thinking you're strange to branding you a threat to national security. It sounds hyperbolic, but even from a business perspective it makes sense: more customers for their bugs.

>the manga Carta
Heh.

That's not the Internet but tech in general in real life politics.
The Internet isn't worse, it's actually better, and the online activism from the past accomplished little to nothing. There's no reason to keep going "uuhuuhhh it was so much better why don't we do this anymore we had power anooons" because that never happened, it was just a big LARP.
Do you want to change shit? Go kill retard politicians and corporate fucks or do some kind of revolution, not online larping.
The big corporations aren't the Internet, government policies aren't the Internet, we didn't lose the Internet, it's still the same thing but better. Nobody here ever cared about real stuff.

>went following the Disney/MCU breadcrumbs instead
What are you referring to?

Most of the events like that that I can remember had something to do with piracy. You mainly stopped hearing things about piracy because people think that streaming something > pirating something. Recently a lot of movie companies have been fucking up the ecosystem though by making too many streaming services, I've even seen shit like VPN's and Plex catching on with normies, so I think there will be another wave of anti-piracy actions soon.

>VPN's and Plex catching on with normies

Is your definition of normie the same as mine? Because they look at you extremely funny if you so much as propose doing things AND PAYING to mask your IP.

Usenet's dead, traditional forums are dying, IRC's a ghost town, 8ch got booted off the internet for stepping on the wrong toes.

The internet's unambiguously worse because corporate/social media sites ate it up and the alternatives seriously lack for users because network effects.

>usenet's dead
Newsgroups were basically like any other internet forum, but old.
>traditional forums are dying
xxDestroyer
Administrator

Necro posting, thread closed.
---------------------------------
"God is dead" -- Albert Einstein
>IRC's a ghost town
People moved on to other identical or better forms of chatting, and the protocol still works if you want to host a server. IRC is basically like any other chat, but without any other features and old.
>8ch got booted off the internet for stepping on the wrong toes
That always happened to places with unironic racists, shooters and possible CP sharing. Just move to other websites.

there are plenty of people active in IRC. You're the type of nigger to join and leave after 3 minutes because people in other time zones aren't around to talk to you

IRC, forums, shitposting merged into Discord. Teens use that, normies are on something like WhatsApp to talk to people they've always known irl and they just dgaf on cringeposting while life turned very expensive in most places.

>Where did it go wrong
People faced the consequences of such activity.

Assuage got arrested.

Jow Forums are pussyass retards who never got shit done
Shooting up mosques instead of synan

I just justified why he might think that it's dead.
Still, there's no reason for me to use IRC anymore, unless if it's for nostalgia or free software support.

Keep praising the kikes, shoot dem mosques instead of synagogues
God knows Jow Forums are full of fucking retards

What is sad is most of Anonymous ended up working for and reinforcing the very same companies they proclaimed to hate.
The things you have to give up just to keep yourself alive are too much in this new age.
And shit is only going to get worse with the new Red Scare when the Authorities start putting the screws on the non-brainwashed Anons

kill yourself

You're on the wrong side of history