THE MADMAN ACTUALLY DID IT

The Commander X16 is up and running. David Murray has pulled it off.

youtube.com/watch?v=sg-6Cjzzg8s

>it's heavily inspired by the VIC 20 layout
>it has VGA output
>it has 256 color mode
>an emulator is out
>it runs BASIC
>it has some games and software already
>it plays music, basically 2 SID chips
>it has expansion slots

github.com/commanderx16/x16-emulator

It's pretty close to done as far as prototyping goes, assuming all the current selected chips are kept in the design.

Attached: dav.png (1259x669, 1.17M)

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2016/05/18/chaps_make_6502_by_hand/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZsRRCnque2E
youtube.com/watch?v=fWqBmmPQP40
youtube.com/watch?v=6fOjGLCctEY
youtube.com/watch?v=27uHhI_AXg0
youtube.com/watch?v=HyzD8pNlpwI
mycpu.eu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: logox16.png (1146x266, 62K)

post that webm

He didn't do shit. He asked other people to do shit for him.

Attached: in use.png (942x706, 807K)

What's the point of a new 8 bit computer?

RPi for boomers

I understand where you're coming from, but this is definitely his thing.

He met people, he had a vision, he developed the kernel, and other people enthusiastically joined to help make free/open/available parts to drop in on areas of the design that still relied on discontinued shit.

You can't say he just had other people do it for him.

This is a modified vic-20. That brainlet could never design anything original.

> modified vic-20
Even that is more than what 99% of Jow Forums will ever accomplish

basically 2 SID chips

Did you even pay attention? They're humdrum AYs, not SIDs. Would be excellent if they end up using those FM ones though

Attached: dav2.png (1070x680, 913K)

They sound like SID chips, and he acknowledged they sound similar.

You heard what he said. He wanted something with an established foundation where they could add/remove newer mass-produced chips to drop in place of the proprietary and discontinued ones.

Doing so brings back the possibility of an actual new 8 or 16 bit machine to run a lot of these old games on.

>Doing so brings back the possibility of an actual new 8 or 16 bit machine to run a lot of these old games on.
What's the bloody point?
There's still a gazillion C64s out there in the wild. It's not like there's a shortage of hardware.

yeah it's not like they'll get more expensive with time or anything like that

That's good and all, but I don't like the case design.
If you're making an 8-bit computer you might as well go full retro with it.

They use an FPGA in the Video hardware that is easily powerful enough to emulate all the chips they are throwing on the board.
So why not ship a single FPGA board and be done with it.
300 bucks for a bunch of obsolete chips is a bit much!

Too bad no one makes new SID chips since 1994 and there is no adequate hardware replacement at the moment.

POS

Why is he so obsessed with not using FPGAs?

Attached: 8bitrun.webm (800x450, 2.11M)

So anyone can build it with off the shelf components.

> why not ship a single FPGA board and be done with it
So it can be like a jigsaw puzzle if you're into soldering.

Ask /vr/

If you watch the video you see the plan would be to consolidate all the chips to a single FPGA as to reduce the cost and provide a cheaper version

Friendlu reminder that he's one guy and managed to do this in couple months while purism struggles since 2017 to deliver that pozzed phone

But the circuit board isn't off the shelf

He actually said he is planning an FPGA-only version in order to reduce cost.

Lol just buy any big enough prototype PCB and make your own traces

The AY is a pretty good chip. Yeah, it's not the SID, but you'll still be pretty damn impressed hearing what slav demosceners do with the thing. Envelope-fuckery is an amazing feature. Sick bass and crazy resofilter-style squelches.

see
if you use an FPGA on the design, there's no point in having any of the other discrete components

>You can't say he just had other people do it for him.
but they did

Then just use breadboards..? It's a lot harder for the average dude in their basemenet to fab a chip than to run some wires.

How do I make a breadboard or a 6502 in my basement if everything needs to be made from scratch

>Building my dream computer
>someone else ends up doing all the building
>in the end the just make a vic-20 clone with some extensions
Kek, 8-bit boomer never disappoints

1. Pick up a plank of wood.
2. Make some holes in it.
There. Done.

>just use breadboards
sure, now this is custom computer

Attached: 8bit.png (1077x1063, 2.66M)

Can I play asteroids on this

Attached: 1488052465988.png (251x201, 5K)

PCBs really are a dime a dozen now and with the rather low requirements for layer count and signal integrity having a PCB made or buying a PCB wouldn't be an expensive endevour

>256 times more RAM
>different videochip
>different soundchips
>WIP custom kernel
lol modified

>different videochip
only because you can't get new off the shelf ones
>different soundchips
only because you can't get new off the shelf ones

If he could, he'd just 1:1 clone vic-20 but using his own kernel and then say he created his dream computer.

>You can't say he just had other people do it for him.
Jow Forums is full of loners, they don't understand how leadership works.

theregister.co.uk/2016/05/18/chaps_make_6502_by_hand/

>Selling this garbage for $300

His fan boys will eat it up. He'll be out of stock in a week's time.

Glad the AY-3-8910 is out of the picture at least.

wtf from the thumbnail i thought it was Rick from Pawn Stars
FUCK YOU GUYS!

because he won't have much stock, because he's a pussy afraid to lose a couple of bucks

HE'S GONNA TAKE YOU BACK TO THE PAST

wrong nerd

kek

holy fuck he does look like him LMAO

>but he didn't 100% personally design and make his own CPU using raw silicon, what a cuck

There sure is lot of seething in this thread. Maybe if he started screaming "nigger" and jacking off infront of the camera, then Jow Forums would like him more.

Michael Steil on kernel development was the best choise this guy made. And let's be honest, he's a decent assembly programmer, but he would never write his own kernel. His involvment in this project will end at shilling this computer and writing simple programs like that PET draw. Michael Steil however... he's a real Commodore 8bit guru. Here's some of his videos that I saw way back and inspired me to do demos on C64.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZsRRCnque2E
youtube.com/watch?v=fWqBmmPQP40

some other non commodore but cool videos from him:

youtube.com/watch?v=6fOjGLCctEY
youtube.com/watch?v=27uHhI_AXg0
youtube.com/watch?v=HyzD8pNlpwI

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 61K)

he's literally making a vic20 with a gpu someone else designed
he literally isn't doing shit, all other people are putting it together

he designed the logo!

not even that, some other youtuber did it

>$200 - $300 for a modern C64
Why not just spend like $50 on a Rpi and be done with it?

He's a weird fucker that gets weird following. All these briliant guys are comming out with hardware and software and he has the audacity to pick and chose, making them send him fucking prototypes (which are not cheap I'm sure) and he's just recording it and cashing the money from youtube ads. It's really weird... I enjoy watching his videos, especially this one, because he showed this new hardware and software from all these people, but damn, is he useless in this project lol

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 11K)

He can do whatever he wants, this isn't some pissing contest about who's computer skills cock is bigger, though Jow Forums makes it about that. It's like saying that Torvalds is a complete hack because he just copied UNIX and everyone else did all the work around his kernel.

>woman vanishes like a ghost at the sight of him
topkek

>>it has VGA output
>>it has 256 color mode
This is going to be super petty but that's too much, I really enjoy the limited Palettes and graphics power of old micros.

Attached: 1479619864599.png (310x325, 169K)

>uses pirated BASIC and kernal from the C64
lol. He should prepare for lawsuits

>he developed the kernel
no.

Retard

How is he useless in this? This literally would have not happened without him.

Like that matters, noone will ever use this thing anyway. Aside from the boomer himself.

This literally already happened without him and it's called VIC-20. All the other components already existed as well - the gpu was for some dude's other project.

Ohhh, I knew I knew that guy from somewhere.

You're retarded.
He's already using some FPGAs though
Watch his video, he didn't do much.
>he would never write his own kernel
Steil is not writing his own kernel either, just modifying the C64 one. Take a look at the github repo.

That's almost 40 years old user. Is there a modern equivalent of this?
I thought the purpose of this was to basically make a commodore with new hardware.

>I thought the purpose of this was to basically make a commodore with new hardware.
Quite the contrary, the goal was to use as many original components as physically possible. The different video and audio chips are there only because new commodore chips are unobtanium

Really? I guess I've not done my research then. Are those chips still being manufactured though?
And even if this is the case I can still appreciate the effort of keeping commodore alive by modernizing(?) the hardware a bit. As I said the old machines are pretty much 4 decades old and shit will start to fail eventually.

somebody needs to explain this!
How ??

Attached: WUT.png (1366x768, 1.48M)

Is she lactating?

i don't think so.

>He's already using some FPGAs though
More likely to get those off the shelf nowadays than the CPU for example.

that's pretty cool

steve jobs did nothing, yet he did everything. murray is jobs.

The idea is to have a computer simple enough that you can understand the way it works inside and out. The loss of that in the wintel years gave us poojeets and webshit diarrhea.

Here's the non-retarded version:
mycpu.eu/

What makes this the non-retarded version?

Attached: 2019-09-14-005626_1916x956_scrot.png (1916x956, 37K)

e-celeb i followed did something original therefore i am cool

I hate anything popular therefore i am cool

zoomer here
definitely gonna buy this for comfy BASIC programming

Yeah the case is retarded

Keeping the good aspects of 8-bit computers and removing/improving the bad, make the ultimate 8-bit machine. I can see how it would be popular. Like when Petit Computer and SmileBASIC were popular for the DSi and 3DS. It was a fun hobby

The PCB is actually pretty spendy since it's huge. That's the dev board. The goal is $50.

>copied 95% of a VIC20
>added one FPGA that was entirely programmed by someone else
>takes all the credit

Guess an "ideas guys" can be successful if they have a legion of retarded cucks with actual skills rabidly following them and doing their bidding for free.

The BOM is most likely not cost optimized either as it consists of components mostly copied from a nearly 40 year old computer rather than being something designed by a proper electrical and industrial engineers.

He clearly states his goals. He wants a new 8 bit machine using new and still manufactured parts.

You haven't watched the video. He clarifies that he's basically doing none of it now, and he lets the creators themselves do all the excited talking.

That's a real nice logo though.

He's a genius

Attached: image_149112338_167699-01.jpg (724x965, 771K)

load my balls into kernel

Attached: balls.png (792x742, 186K)

Is his channel the biggest? There's your reason.

Guess it shows you don't actually need skills or talent to be successful apparently.

It's youtube. The talented needed is entertaining normies.

there it is

to make him rich

Yeah, but having to buy five of them to get enough parts to build one perfectly-working one (SIDs are legendary for their failure rate) would get real old real quick.
And there's the (H/T) factor, too.