Kickstarter is Unionizing

slate.com/technology/2019/09/kickstarter-turmoil-union-drive-historic-tech-industry.html

How will this effect the tech industry at large?

Attached: Kickstarter.png (410x123, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xNzXze5Yza8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It won't. Unionizing programmers doesn't make sense, and Mr. Nagoor Babu Sir will gladly be a scab H1B visa to replace you.

It won't

>Unionizing programmers doesn't make sense
I'm a software engineer and I'm unionized - all of our employees are. The developers, sysadmins, accounts, etc.

But I work for a railroad so I'm the odd one here.

Hi Kickstarter management defense force, lemme know when the union fires you so I can have a hearty chuckle.

Attached: strike.jpg (300x168, 10K)

Not much

These "union organizers" weren't even programmers. Design and "Tech Outreach"

>Tech people are good at programming
>Influencers, designers and speakers, are good at making designs, influencing, and speaking

wow its almost like people have different skills

>According to multiple current and former employees, the Trust and Safety team initially decided not to act against Always Punch Nazis. But then management overruled the team, saying that Always Punch Nazis had to come down.
>Employees who felt the company was giving in to bigots were livid.
>Afraid that they would be dismissed next—and that they didn’t have enough leverage to pressure Kickstarter over ethical issues the next time there was a disagreement—employees started discussing a union.
so basically buttmad trannies who couldn't fathom having a rational discussion and then cried "muh union"

Maybe programmers are good at those things too, you abelist bigot.

A "tech union" would be an excuse for diversity designers, like this lady, to make as much as C programmers. Unionizing for certain industries is good, but a general "tech union" is dumbfuck retarded garbage.

>Influencers are good at
No

>All these crabs

Unions got you everything you've ever loved, how quickly you fucks forget

>Workweeks used to be 61 hours in 1870, they're now 40.
>Middle class income and union income have moved with about a 1:1 correlation
>Unions got child labor banned
>Unions won healthcare coverage for employees
>Unions won family and medical leave

Don't buy into anti-union sentiments, it's quite literally designed to keep you from demanding basic human rights and decencies.

Attached: consider.jpg (225x225, 8K)

im ; not against unions, this case just sounds like bs to me.

>hey goy pay us a monthly fee from your paycheck so we can sit around and do nothing
fuck off, unions bleed the workers dry, then you want to work less on top of that. lazy sack of democratic filth, fuck off.

>>Workweeks used to be 61 hours in 1870, they're now 40.
now they're 20 for low skilled people

>Influencers aren't influencing people
Have you seen the internet?

>hipster faggot startups act exactly like steel, coal, and oil industrials when unions come into the picture
OH MY GOD I AM SO SURPRISED HOW COULD ANYONE HAVE PREDICTED THAT THE IMAGE THESE COMPANIES PROJECT IS ACTUALLY A FRAUD

Techno union soon

>If you don't pay to work then you don't get basic human decency! Pay up now!
Fuck off commie.

Attached: bootlicker.png (770x678, 516K)

>no argument
>spam commie
>?????
>loss

interesting to see everytime these union threads come up the anti union posters always seem so aggressive and angry at the situation

It’s not unsurprising
Companies run some pretty aggressive propaganda campaigns not only to their employees but to the general public about the dangers of unions
I recognize the shit is propaganda so it hasn’t swayed me from my overall neutral stance on unions but I imagine others really take it to heart

What do unions even do?

>fuck off, unions bleed the workers dry, then you want to work less on top of that. lazy sack of democratic filth, fuck off.
you're a bootlicking nigger fuck or a retard that thinks people shouldn't have the right to collective bargaining. in either case, get fucked.

There's a reason why I'm only hearing about this through Jow Forums and not on the actual news. Nobody cares about cushy, bloated, easily-replaceable tech nobodies.

Come back next time the gig economy strikes. It's at least FUNNY when they do it.

Anyone with a brain can tell that unions are fucking cancer. You pay someone else to dictate the what, where, when, who, and how of every job you work. Your reward for this is zero incentive to do anything other than the status quo because diligent work isn't rewarded, if you slack off you get paid the same amount as if you worked your ass off. As a bonus, the union then invests that money into political lobbying to make sure that your local politician strips you of as many rights as humanly possible, making it easier to slave for the institution that dictates your life. American construction sucks because construction unions suck. American education sucks because teachers unions suck. Ad naseum.

And then faggots like have the absolute gall to accuse you of being paid off to have an opinion that differs from what their unions tell them to have. They never have any pro-union arguments, just "we lobbied the government in the 1800s," and "you're a paid shill if you don't agree with me." The moment anything gets unionized, the union does everything in their power to force you to work for them, so you're either out on your ass unemployed or out on your ass changing careers. I'd sooner work some dead-end minimum job than work for these communist kikes. Fuck 'em.

Attached: bootlicker.jpg (960x840, 58K)

Please. Unions didn't do any of that shit; public opinion and the economy did. Unions were a very important thing in American history when they were basically just People's Revolutionary Armies back when robber barons lured desperate people into secluded camps and paid them in company money so that they could never afford to leave. But the modern feel-good union "I'm just going to stop working, surely everyone will like me then" have ALWAYS been counter-productive to their cause.

The only true power is violence.

Modern organized unions are a cancer. Nothing work with workers getting together in a big company, the way unions do it now is cancer though. They are just a parasite draining money for no gain

Europoors, you just dont understand us. We work hard, we create our own luck. Thats why we are the richest and most successful nation on the earth

youtu.be/xNzXze5Yza8

Attached: 1566144580959.gif (588x393, 1.47M)

They provide an equal negotiating competitor to a boss:

Current state of your life:
>Boss has 100 employees, and there's 1 of you
>You get fired, you're 100% fucked, but you're boss is 99% okay.

>So for bosess to fire a worker is at most a minor inconvenience, but for you, it'd be a disaster.

This power imbalance gives bosses future power too, because you probably need your boss to be a reference in the future, so if they fuck you, you have no recourse.

>The proper level negotiating partner to a boss is not one worker, but ALL the workers.
>If the boss lost all workers at once, then she would be at 0% productivity, the same as the worker who loses her job.

>This means if all the workers approached the boss, as a team and said “We want to start a half hour later in the morning or we all quit”, they might receive the same attention as the boss who said “Work a half hour longer each day or you’re all fired”.

Problem is being the first person to start a team like that (which is what a union is) is really fucking hard, because if you stand up alone, you just get fired, even though all coworkers may support the union.

>This mean the ability of workers to coordinate action without being threatened or fired for attempting to do so is the only thing that gives workers any negotiating power at all, and is necessary for a healthy labor market.

Usually a union will have dues you pay each year (because lawyers, permits, signs, meeting rooms, and other negotiating tools and resources aren't free), and the idea's that by paying in, everyone in the field gets paid more because it's way harder for management to dick ALL of you

> And then faggots like have the absolute gall to accuse you of being paid off to have an opinion that differs from what their unions tell them to have.
At what point did I ever accuse someone of being paid off?
The only thing I said was that if a company is telling you unions are bad and you shouldn’t form one they are spilling out propaganda even if what they are saying can be correct, the company is clearly not a neutral party and is going to be biased towards making sure you don’t form one so everything said is going to have a slant and can be safely disregarded

>american construction sucks because construction unions
as someone who actually worked construction i can tell you first hand that union workers got paid more and worked less hours than non union workers, yeah they didnt work as hard but unless you’re some greedy corporation looking to squeeze dry a person until they are used up there isnt a problem with unions

nice commercial shill, make sure to work extra hard and take no vacations so your boss can afford his third cadillac

This. Why the fuck you rooting for your boss?

I agree that unions are important, or at least were but I have to deal with union representatives a lot and they hinder the democratic process and overall do more to detriment their workers than actually support them.

What's stopping me from paying a union to shit all over my competition?

America's problem is that the historical role of unions and the democratic party are broken compared to normal countries. Rather than being a worker's party, the democratic party is a generic party that happens to have a union lobby. Rather than being a major force, either like the similar anglo unions in Britain and Australia or with the corporatist unions of Sweden and Germany, the big US unions have always been meek and weird.

That's not an unsolvable problem but it's not going to be solved from outside.

Unions are groups of people, with a goal so try:
>Too many people to bribe
>Too many people to keep the bribe secret
>The possibility of being caught taking bribes from individual shops and thus fucking over the people you're representing creates a strong a disincentive for the union
>The people you're taking bribes from have a strong incentive to rat you out because they don't like unions either
>Multiple unions in the same field can start up and people, when choice is available, will gravitate towards unions that get them positive results, which fucking over the people you're representing will always handicap you when delivering results

This is why I'm universally pro union. The quicker normies start getting forced to wake up and realize that all immigrants are scabs the better.

Work smart, not hard.

>scamstarter unionizing
lol, inb4 they fire half the staff to keep up with their lawyer retainer bill

>But I work for a railroad so I'm the odd one here.
nigger, you should know youre not being referred to

wagies acting like NEETs on the clock and stealing company money is a form of violence

Unions only exist to siphon money off there members and to let lazy fucking boomers do nothing all day while everyone else has to pick up there slack

>thinks the 20% rule doesnt exist in non-union workplaces

If I were an employee I would have no problem with Always Punch Nazis, but I would understand the choice to take it down. It's not like Kickstarter is supporting nazis, it's more like they don't want to directly associate with a call to violence period. Something like Always Stop Nazis (although more flaccid and ironically has less of a "punch" to it) would probably be allowed.

>You know what Bezos, you're right, I don't need higher pay, less work hours and better conditions.

That's the natural consequence of bureaucracy, which unions are not immune to.

>public opinion and the economy did
Are you retarded? People murdered union members all the time, they were hugely unpopular. And no the economy didn't do shit, the slowly globalizing economy made it easier for companies to just outsource whenever they had a chance, economy has historically moved against workers' rights as time went on.

Based and redpilled.

Shame to see so many bootlickers on Jow Forums

Self defence tends to be a pretty accepted form of violence and not really a call TO violence.

A company serves the will of the investors. That's law. A union is effectively a B2B company that serves the will of its members and negotiates working terms with other companies on behalf of the members.

Sure there's room for corruption but it's in their interest to work for the members because unions only have powers as long as everyone follows the same guidance and less people = less power.

You can't make the argument that a company is good entity without also making the same argument for unions because they're functionally the same thing. And you can't say a union can be corrupt without saying companies are just as corrupt if not more corrupt due to virtue of corruption growing proportional to scale and power of a bureaucracy.

People who are anti-union tend to be retarded conservatives and "libertarians" who think that free markets are the king but the government should also crack down on foreign workers, outsourcing, and work visas, and that mehicans are taking der jerbs. Aka mentally ill, peabrained subhumans. A principled moderate-conservative should be able to see that unions serve a purpose in protecting our fellow countrymen and need power to push back on corporations, especially in a country where companies lobby the shit out of government. And a principled libertarian should be able to admit that he's a post-nation capitalist for whom the free market is absolute, and immigration and outsourcing are absolute goods because they allow businesses to optimize near perfectly for specialization and cost optimization. You can't have it both ways.

>It's not like Kickstarter is supporting nazis

You have to understand the Progressive mindset, user. To enforce the rules against violence equally against anti-Nazi content on their platform, is the same moral equivalency to supporting the Nazi ideology, because you are not doing everything and anything to punch Nazis in the face.

It is literally "You are in league with Nazis if you don't support us calling for violence against Nazis."

>How will this effect the tech industry at large?
You mean to tell me that tech workers in the US doesn't have unions?

Attached: anime girl tired annoyed at computer.png (400x450, 20K)

unions are just mobs and gangs like government
public sector ones especially are the most cancerous

Why would programmers unionize when you can just leave and get a better job?

Not all workers are equal. Hell I'm ciso, I report directly to the CEO for security matters. Of course I should get more money for maintaining cold storage

Good. Anything that gives workers the fruits of their labor instead of bosses is a good thing, and management's been behind every SJW witch hunt in the industry so even if a union was somehow infested with them, giving workers due process won't make anything worse.

That said kickstarter is still full of people who don't know what they're doing, woefully underestimate their budget, and if the thing comes out it'll be delayed so long I've already forgotten about it. Plus the outright scammers. So it's not like I'll give to one any time soon, union or not.

>Kickstarter United’s concerns include several nuts-and-bolts workplace issues like salary equity, diversity in hiring
>Employees who felt the company was giving in to bigots were livid.
Another tranny infiltration.

Those snowflakes has set tranny agenda for union.

Clever.

OP, KickStarter isn't tech. It's literally not innovative in any way.

and now they want
>if you're a white cis male, you get 60 hours workweek, otherwise 30 hours for the same salary, because fuck you shitlord bigot

The solution is proper management, if you see shit, leave immediately. But if you're a sheeple, you can only swap your masters.

Kickstarter management did nothing wrong, they acted strictly on tos, and organized a conference with employees when those chimped out and presented justification for their decision, it's gold standard of management, it's just trannies want to subvert it to their cause.

>Unions got child labor banned
gay

If you were fired unfairly, it's a salvation, you were freed from a shithole.

>A company serves the will of the investors. That's law.
It's not law, it's right.

Lots of reasons, here's a few I've ran into personally
>Programming interviews suck monkey dick because prior qualifications, despite years of experience, aren't treated as transferable between jobs because nobody's doing any vetting of staff in a way companies trust. A union similar to how electrical engineers have IEEE can make transitions friction-less so we don't have to put up with this bullshit to change jobs.

>You're getting paid a very small fraction of the actual results of your work. My department makes about 60 million in recurring revenue per year, and we're a 6 man team. I only get paid 110k, and we're not spending much on new work or hiring, so presumably, my boss is just using it to buy yachts. Collective bargaining and union dues incentivize the union to get me a much bigger piece of that pie.

>You can't object to work on ethical grounds without resigning because you have no leverage besides quitting, nor is there any whistleblower with power to whom you can reach out to name-and-shame when a company's business practices ought to be examined, when they're not strictly illegal. Unions give you a team to back you up if you want to say "no, I won't do that, that's shitty", or "I'm pretty sure that's illegal, I won't do that."

>In fields like game dev, it's pretty consistently hellish 80 hour week crunch, for a product the employees don't even have an ownership stake in or get paid overtime for. Collective bargaining to prevent the above will increase the length someone can work in games and will lead to better games.

>Salary spreads at the high end are super high variance because 4 out of 5 chance statistically you're getting fucked out of somewhere between 100-400 grand, because one of your coworkers is getting paid the majority of the whole pie, and rarely is this guy actually the best programmer or doing the most work.. Most people are statistically able to benefit if that variance is flattened and is spread throughout the team.

Attached: huh.gif (195x229, 1.13M)

>unions only have powers as long as everyone follows the same guidance
No, like any politics, they have power when sheeple obey them, if you're not sheeple, they will shit on you, because you're not an asset for them.