Now that BSD is the official OS of Jow Forums: which flavor are you going with? I myself chose FreeBSD

Now that BSD is the official OS of Jow Forums: which flavor are you going with? I myself chose FreeBSD

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-13 19-49-02.png (1023x763, 187K)

welp quints made me respond so I'll ask some questions. Why is it the official distro? If it's the official distro why are you running it in a VM according to your GPU? Did anything change to make it useful with more applications? Why should i try it?

The one that's GPL licensed

Fuck off, K? BSD is garbage.

But MacOS is king!

OpenBSD for my laptop. FreeBSD for my fileserver.

Attached: 76542117_28ade6f10c.jpg (306x265, 36K)

quads, long day my b

>FreeBSD
Dilate.

Nice digits though.

i'd rather just use win 7 with cygwin :^)

>BSD is the offical OS of Jow Forums
Install Gentoo.

>virtualbox
Lol no drivers.

Call me a faggot but I enjoy being able to run the newest triple A game with highest graphics and more FPS on Linux than on Windows. BSD Wine is shit no clue if dxvk even works

faggot

Do people count Solaris as a BSD? Please argue about it.

I genuinely like all of the popular ones. FreeBSD has been a treat to use. No maintenance, the handbook answers any and all
questions I've ever had, and it just werks. The fact that you have the choice between stable or rolling, binary or source, and all other kinds of configurations as expected standard environments makes it fantastic since you learn 1 OS, which is already simple and easy, and you can just use it however you need it on whatever platform without having to adapt or compromise. FreeBSD on system X is going to act the same on system Y. Exotic hardware that nobody is building third party packages for? Just build it from the ports tree or set up a cross compile repo with ease using the same setups first party maintainers use.

OpenBSD impresses me with their determination to make what they think is good, regardless of what everyone else is doing or saying. They set goals and they meet them. I can't imagine the bliss OpenBSD users experience on a constant basis.

NetBSD's portability is just as impressive, if a machine exists, NetBSD can run on it. Even if you don't use NetBSD itself, you're likely benefiting from the work done on other people's shitty software to bring it up to portability snuff to fit withing pkg-src.

I don't know much about Dragonfly but people say their filesystem is good. Something I want to learn more about.

Attached: 1400271554384.png (1024x768, 1.47M)

>Do people count Solaris as a BSD?
Solaris is Unix, and it's actually SysV based. BSD is not. Solaris is technically superior in every way. The only area where other Unix-like systems have it beat is software selection.

What do you mean "BSD wine" it's the same software targeting the same rendering abstractions. FreeBSD is notorious for GPU heavy tasks like rendering movie effects in giant clusters/"render farms" and Nvidia has always given it first party support so it's not like you need some exotic gorillion dollar special hollywood GPUs to benefit. I have doubts about your post.

King at being bottlenecked by apples shitty decisions.

Though BSD is not for me i gotta say that free BSD is a great OS.

This but unironically.

fuck off, gnigger, we use netbsd with dwm around these parts

i have apps running on debian servers using docker. I want to use FreeBSD as my desktop OS but i wouldn't have the cohesive experience of developing on docker, my app works, and then i deploy it to prod.

I know... jails, but I'm not running BSD in prod, its not an option with my company.

DragonflyBSD > FreeBSD

it was never Jow Forums preffered because:

>le propietary software!
>zoomerss/nu-males!!!!
>muh irc
>muh privacy!

>muh privacy!
no privacy on freeBSD?

shit wrong thread

I'm sorry but you're not a Jow Forums historian, you outed yourself just by saying "never", which implies you only stumbled upon this place after the era where it was prevalent. Which was a relatively long time.

I seriously don't understand why people even try to speak for an entire community like that, especially when they're flatout wrong. Like what were you trying to accomplish? The people that have been here longer are obviously going to know you're full of shit, and even the younger generation is going to be able to see shit like "muh" and realize you're younger than they are.

>demon mascot
>CoC'd and run by degenerates

pottery