I am solo coder how can I learn git in non annoying way? Why is it better than just making backup copies as I code...

i am solo coder how can I learn git in non annoying way? Why is it better than just making backup copies as I code? I understand it has lot of benefits for team work. But what if I don't care about team at all

Attached: git.png (290x174, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

git-scm.com/book/en/v2
learngitbranching.js.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=8aZW9mYOxhc
youtube.com/watch?v=BaPexytJFTI
linuxacademy.com/course/git-quick-start/
linkedin.com/learning/learning-git-and-github?trk=share_android_course_learning
fossil-scm.org/home/doc/trunk/www/index.wiki
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Literally start using it and the positives will become apparent right away.

any youtube tutorial will have you set

git-scm.com/book/en/v2
ch 1 - 3
use /sqt/ next time

Type the following in your terminal, you may have to install curl.
$ git --help
$ curl cheat.sh/git

to learn it: read the git book at git-scm.com and then use it for all of your projects, trying out new features as you go. magit in emacs is a pretty amazing interface for it

as for why: you can construct a branched history of your project, with the historical points ("commits") containing exactly what you want them to, and the construction of this branched history is truly trivial. if the advantages of that over "copying a directory from one place to another whenever i remember to do so" aren't clear, then you might be a bit thick

>I understand it has lot of benefits for team work. But what if I don't care about team at all
Unless you write everything to be immediately thrown away, you are already on a team with your past and future selves who are a week, month, or year away in time.

>Why is it better than just making backup copies as I code?
Good for keeping track of changes.

Version control is very useful, including for programming.

Distributed version control with nonsole source of truth lets people do what they want with code, fitting the open source world.

svn had a lot of bugs and required too much administration.

Mercurial has better syntax but is less populat.

Torvalds wrote git originally.

Darcs and others haven’t overcome challenges relating to scale.

Snap-shots are ok as storage is very cheap.

Git has huge mind share.

git commit
git push

all u need m8

one day someone will ask you to deliver thst last patch you made for his number version because the upstream introduced s lib that is incompatible woth system you then will say "yes sure let me pish this to that bra-".

Wise words

read the book.

based

learngitbranching.js.org/ if you want to learn fast, this is literally the only resource you need and you'll be better than the average git user already. Fuck books that want to teach you everything about git from inside out, you don't need to know how a tool is implemented to use a tool

i got my own gitlab instance with docker running... so nice... and this videos are awesome: youtube.com/watch?v=8aZW9mYOxhc
youtube.com/watch?v=BaPexytJFTI

I personally find git annoying. Having to switch between branches is not always possible if you have unstashed code. You can't easily compare your code with older versions, you have to switch to the other branch. Branching and merging sucks too for me.
I find it way better to have one working directory and two or three backups that I can easily compare with any editor I want. Git is okay to use in a team, but alone it just doesn't make sense. It means more work for me that I would do without it.

>solo coder
use Fossil. It's way easier and makes more sense for small groups/solo.

By learning Mercurial instead.

I got a lot of experience with using git to patch and reconcile problems withing my solo projects because I was maintaining my code-base between three different physical locations (say, my PC, my laptop, and my work computer). It thought me most of the problem-solving intricacies and best-practice (do this so you don't have to solve problems) version control behaviors that I needed to be the lead git educator within my tech company.

I don't know how universible this example is in terms of a to-do, but just informing.

As a solo dev maybe.

Sometimes I dev on my staging server just because it's more convenient. Then I go back to dev and make official commits. After that, I gotta at least `git stash` on my staging server before I can `git pull`

Just put two repos on the staging, one for working and one for archive/live and then commit/push from one to the other

Attached: IMG_20190913_222901_235__01.jpg (640x929, 107K)

t. Retard

Just use it. Make at least a commit a day.
In less than a month you'll start to love it.

>i am solo coder how can I learn git in non annoying way?
Use it.

Because it also does backup copies of your code, but does a lot more like actually keeping track of them, only backing up selected files, giving statistics, multiple branches, easy sharing and so on.

>But what if I don't care about team at all
Then git is just a better version of a backup system for code.

Use Sourcetree. Once you can visualize what you're doing, the commands will be easier to understand.

kek

OP, just follow some youtube tutorial, you'll learn the pretty basic shit in just some hours or a couple of days, learn the basically necesary, the rest you'll learn as you need it. So far i learned git by my self and also i do shit for my own only, so no team involved, and you need to know:
-how to create/clone or get a repository
-how to commit your shit
-how to revert your work to a previous state before you messed your shit.

All the fancy stuff you can do with git you'll never use at least if you are a solo coder.

Or don't do this becazse you'll get stuck with using the gui forever.

learn gitflow, even if you are alone it will force you to respect some well-established standards for code quality and project management

Attached: gitflow-diagram-768x973.png (768x973, 388K)

It keeps track your source codes. A fuck up? Just revert. Experimenting? Create branch.
Also use tortuisegit, don't bother with other git frontend made using basedboy electron.

Attached: SharedScreenshgot.jpg (1920x1200, 675K)

>windowz

Attached: 71.jpg (720x540, 60K)

>noooooo don't use goooey
>stop using windoze >:(

Attached: 1567255592479.gif (263x301, 383K)

fpbp, /thread

kys

>kys

Attached: 1563302652174.jpg (647x740, 54K)

If you're going to learn you might as well get certified either:

linuxacademy.com/course/git-quick-start/

Or
linkedin.com/learning/learning-git-and-github?trk=share_android_course_learning

Then throw that cert on your LinkedIn, indeed, or Facebook profile.

>certified in git
lmao

magit is the patrician frontend. what's that? you don't use GNU Emacs?

It's easier, faster, and takes up far less disk pace.

durgasoft would be your best bet, poo

You know only redditniggers post wojacks nowadays right?

Fossil as in plan9 fossil?

Plan 9, not plan9 or any other variation.

He meant the fossil-scm, the one wrote by that SQLite guy

fossil-scm.org/home/doc/trunk/www/index.wiki

>how can I learn git in non annoying way?

Impossible. git is very annoying. Still extremely worthwhile to learn it tho.

Sometimes I used to think "I don't need git for this project yet" and often enough I ended up regretting it rather soon: "how often do I have to Ctrl-Z to get it back working again?"

Proper work discipline means creating branches for all features/refactoring and making small, focused commits with meaningful messages, making the tests pass each time (if possible).
I wouldn't want to work any other way anymore. Solo or in a team.

I must use it at work and am using it there for over 3 years now and I fucking hate it. There are so many occasions when I just use -f and just force the shit upwards.

Pretty useful desu

Fuck me, how about you just keep going with backups, but keep in mind that Git will track all your changes and provide you changelogs so you can see what specifically you changed.
Just keep doing your own local backups as you code and when things go horribly wrong, think to yourself "using some sort of version control would have made this not an issue at all."
Learn by making a mistake. Fuck it up and realise why the industry uses the tools it does.

Arch wiki's article on git is good too.

Easy to use for backup/tracking your progress.

git init creates a git repo
git status shows you the files youve edited/created/deleted
git add [filename] adds that file to the current commit
git rm [filename] to delete files both from folder and repo
git commit -m "comment here" commits the edits you've added
git push uploads to your remote repo (use add origin to add it, just create a repo on bitbucket/github)

What if i'm a total noob? would you recommend that i start using git? what if my code is shit and people bully me?