How the hell is this the most popular distro

Angel Flores
Angel Flores

how the hell is this the most popular distro

Attached: Ubuntu-19.04-"Disco-Dingo".png (930 KB, 1366x768)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994

Connor Bailey
Connor Bailey

LTS is for virgins

Dominic Johnson
Dominic Johnson

just works

Isaac Scott
Isaac Scott

You don't need to modify a multitude of configuration files or compile it from source to use, which makes it more accessible.

Christian Sanders
Christian Sanders

no, linux mint "just works". ubuntu is a bloaty mess

Connor Lopez
Connor Lopez

It works without fuss and doesn't subscribe to some autist's lack of sensibilities

Ethan Wilson
Ethan Wilson

I thought mint passed it a couple years ago

Jace Rogers
Jace Rogers

It can't be that bad.

Attached: 55df6525-terry-davis-gods-lonely-programmer.png (454 KB, 850x480)

Caleb Stewart
Caleb Stewart

less is more

Logan Price
Logan Price

ubuntu is a bloaty mess
doesn't matter as the intended audience probably uses a PC made in the last 5 years

Jaxson Hernandez
Jaxson Hernandez

because they're the only ones that set out to be a popular distro widely used by normies, the rest didn't care

Joseph Ramirez
Joseph Ramirez

muh same thing different DE is totally different than the first thing, which sux
The City of (You)

Notable Ubuntu Users:
Terry Davis
????

Luke Wright
Luke Wright

It used to be the "just werks" distro until GNOME went to shit with GNOME 3 and Canonical decided to make Unity and other projects only to kill them years later. Now it's popular because it's Debian but easier (although not better) and because a lot of other distros depend on it.

Lincoln Mitchell
Lincoln Mitchell

every dev at the company i work at either uses a mac, or dual boots between windows and ubuntu (or an ubuntu flavor). every single one. everyone in the IT / tech support department either exclusively uses lignux (and it's almost always ubuntu or a flavor), or dual boots windows and ubuntu.

this is not some shit sjw-laden multiculti startup either. there's not a single negro in the mix. everyone is either white or east asian (with a handful of italians, and one jew).

ubuntu and its variants are far and away the most popular distros because of great hardware support OOTB (relatively), and great support from the community. it's that simple.

Colton Baker
Colton Baker

bc its easy to use... not that complicated.

Christopher Brown
Christopher Brown

Why are you a retard who thinks he'll be cool by posting the first picture result from a Google image search?

Luis Cruz
Luis Cruz

as said, it just works, most people don't want to be configuring shit in Linux for hours

Andrew Howard
Andrew Howard

accessibility and ease of use, appeals to normalfags who choose to use linux
popularity has never had any consistency of being an indicator of quality

Levi Barnes
Levi Barnes

UBUNTU FORCES GNOME ON EVERYONE THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY TO CHANGE YOUR DESKTOP ON UBUNTU OH MY GOD IMPOSSIBLE UBUNTU IS LIKE WINDOWS YOU KNOW
This is what every Ubuntu hater actually believes.

Ryder Cook
Ryder Cook

Because it sorta, kinda works.
Watched it eat it's FS in real time a few months back, so I switched to WSL.

Caleb Hughes
Caleb Hughes

popularity has never had any consistency of being an indicator of quality
How would you even define quality in a Linux distro?

Owen Hill
Owen Hill

its the default distro...what do you expect people to think?

Angel Turner
Angel Turner

They should bring back the comfy brown theme, or is that even possible in gnome anymore?

Brayden Perry
Brayden Perry

That you have choice for everything in GNU?

Oliver James
Oliver James

Ubuntu is perfectly usable... after you install a non-shitty environment. Fuck Gnome3.

Andrew Lewis
Andrew Lewis

or is that even possible in gnome anymore?
Who knows, they keep trying to remove ways to customize their shit.

Hudson Peterson
Hudson Peterson

How the fuck is systemD the default init?

Nolan Sanchez
Nolan Sanchez

They ripped off Apple and Microsoft the most basically

Jacob Stewart
Jacob Stewart

systemd has been catching on for quite some time, no?

Cameron Howard
Cameron Howard

Because there's nothing better for a desktop. systemd on their base system/server system is stupid, though.

Jackson Ortiz
Jackson Ortiz

depends on it's focus
gentoo for example is perfect for what it is but that doesn't mean it's the only distro anyone should use

Charles Hernandez
Charles Hernandez

ubuntu and its variants...
that's too many distros, user

Liam Evans
Liam Evans

jus werks

David Hughes
David Hughes

The company that owns basically used a massive swarm of bots to spam Linux forums claiming that it is the most user/noob friendly distro, so most people chose it without a second glance at the others. Also Google used (still uses) a slightly modified version of Ubuntu, at least in ~2014 when I heard about it; some people just copy whatever Google devs do because they think it will make them more successful in their computer science undergrad program.

Brody Wilson
Brody Wilson

I haven't messed with it for a while but last time I checked (year ago?) the GTK themes were pretty customizable and there are plenty you can download, some more popular ones are often in repos. So theoretically yeah I think you could have or create that theme?

Landon Collins
Landon Collins

Well what if the fabled new user happens upon your computer? Wouldn’t want to startle them with something that’s not absolutely identical to every other computer... plus you know changing anything on your own computer is maliciously hurting their branding. Won’t you please think of the poor gnome devs??

Easton Peterson
Easton Peterson

Also way back they sent out free CDs that’s the only reason I ever used it, but that was back in the early 2000s.

Luke Ward
Luke Ward

People don't know about manjaro

Ryan Walker
Ryan Walker

To be fair I think it is a good first distro to try if you just want to get a handle on things like the directory structure, terminal, common programs. And this is only because, like others have said, it just works. That said, so many other distros are probably equally good choices

Ethan Ortiz
Ethan Ortiz

is that even possible in gnome anymore?
Pic related is their current theme. They're changing it to resemble more to Adawaita because GNOME devs keep breaking themes with each new update.

Attached: 1548832272993.jpg (113 KB, 1200x688)

Michael Powell
Michael Powell

are you retarded or are you just pretending?
systemd on their base system/server system is stupid, though.
Because there's nothing better for a desktop.
god dammit, you're stupid.
desktop users don't even touch the init.
servers use full advantage of systemd.
this board is full of stupid faggots

Nathaniel Bailey
Nathaniel Bailey

You know mint is the same thing with even more garbage piled on top right

Lucas Rogers
Lucas Rogers

Good luck removing those two icons without installing an extra workaround. What did the ubuntuns mean by that? Icon plight.

John Wright
John Wright

It's one distro with many themes.

Kevin Davis
Kevin Davis

Not using Fedora

Landon Reyes
Landon Reyes

Ubuntu used to be really good back in the day.

David Howard
David Howard

unemployed casual racist larp

Angel Moore
Angel Moore

The dock extension breaks workspaces positioning

A true and wild OS, not "gambiarra" at all

Attached: 1568439959957.jpg (384 KB, 781x1024)

Christian Morales
Christian Morales

because debian is hard to install back then so people who want to try debian just choose ubuntu

Julian Morales
Julian Morales

The only correct answer here

Adrian Rogers
Adrian Rogers

You don't need to touch systemd for it to be useful for you. In fact, systemd can make sure desktop users have to touch their init less. As a random example, systemd has a bunch of dynamic targets that only activate when specific hardware is present. This means the distro maintainers can make services like BlueZ depend on bluetooth.target, removing the need for end users to manually enable bluetooth functionality or disable it on systems that don't have a bluetooth adapter.

Grayson Martinez
Grayson Martinez

CentOS is far more stable, with better docs

Aaron Thomas
Aaron Thomas

how do you get gnome to read the xmodmap config?

Tyler Cox
Tyler Cox

anyone who supports mint over ubuntu is a legit try hard retard

Eli Moore
Eli Moore

just works
Debian's greatness, stability and shitloads of packages
plus drivers preintstalled
plus shitloads of packages in PPAs

Benjamin Hughes
Benjamin Hughes

Attached: buntu.png (208 KB, 485x324)

Nathaniel Anderson
Nathaniel Anderson

by supplying people with what they want: simple, easy-to-use system based on linux and doesn't pander to petty idiots that suffer from the dunning-kruger effect.

Xavier Ortiz
Xavier Ortiz

Ubuntu is ez mode thats why. Even if you do a net install its still super ez, it could be much better by
every de not having a fucking auto updater jesus christ
having other DEs actually work out of the box with as easy of a time as gnome
not installing so much bloat on top of the DEs bloat
Basically fuck desktop environments

Caleb Ramirez
Caleb Ramirez

or a flavor
They're all still just Ubuntu. Just say Ubuntu. Slapping a different DE on Ubuntu does not fundamentally change it.

Jackson Sanders
Jackson Sanders

What sort of two-bit IT guy doesn't take pleasure in the computer equivalent of shoving broadswords up his own ass? Really, fucking Ubuntu, let alone OS X?

What the fuck are you degenerates not doing on void already.

Mason Harris
Mason Harris

OS 10 is actual Unix and has professional support. Linux is nothing more than a hobbyist project.

Blake Carter
Blake Carter

Ubuntu is an amazon botnet tho
Kubuntu and others are different in that respect

Joshua Hall
Joshua Hall

"Kubuntu" is just Ubuntu with KDE.

Dylan Jones
Dylan Jones

KDE
but its not an amazon botnet

James Stewart
James Stewart

It can be if you install that package.

Adam Scott
Adam Scott

yeah but back when i was a virgin to linux i just installed ubuntu vanilla and got amazon ads and telemetary shit.

i install kubuntu and at least i know my data isnt going to jeff bezos.

Benjamin Phillips
Benjamin Phillips

I don't see how that is relevant.

Tyler Hill
Tyler Hill

If you don't see why not encouraging OS developers to mine your data and engage in propriatary software practices (aka Apple and Windblows) and sell it then why switch to Linux in the first place? Are you a ramlet?

Amazon is funding vanilla uBuntu as a way to break into the OS market. Eventually they fuck people up the ass

Levi Smith
Levi Smith

I don't care if someone wants to mine data as long as I'm not forced into it. I use GNU because it is often the best tool for the job, not based on philosophy.

Logan Williams
Logan Williams

open source hobbyist software is better than stuff people are litterally paid to work on

get out

Attached: ashton-kutcher-steve-jobs-409993[1].jpg (22 KB, 590x350)

Hudson Ward
Hudson Ward

What about open source software that people are paid to work on? Such as macOS and Android.

Kayden Morgan
Kayden Morgan

the topic is ubuntu

Jason Cox
Jason Cox

You're the one who went off topic.

Carson Nguyen
Carson Nguyen

because your argument that you install linux for "the best tools for the job" is bunk
we install linux because we fundementally disagree with Windows/Apple business practices.
Why do you think Linux has shot up since the Snowden revelations and the advent of privacy as a political issue.

Gavin Martinez
Gavin Martinez

we install linux because we fundementally disagree with Windows/Apple business practices.
No, that is fucking stupid. If that were the case, then what of Android Linux? You have your ideology, but it is not shared by the actual Linux community, just the FSM.

Julian Allen
Julian Allen

Part of Android's success is that it avoids Apple and Windows business practices you cuck.

That doesn't mean Apple and Windows have a head start on Office, etc.

Nathan Scott
Nathan Scott

Part of Android's success is that it avoids Apple and Windows business practices you cuck.
It uses the same business practices as Apple. It sells user data. It is even based on free software, just like macOS and iOS.

Jace Carter
Jace Carter

Why do you think Linux has shot up since the Snowden revelations
[citation needed]

Landon Myers
Landon Myers

Why do you think Linux has shot up since the Snowden revelations and the advent of privacy as a political issue.
Because of Google.

Jack Sanders
Jack Sanders

do i need to pay 100 bucks to enter the Android store market?

And sure Google took over Android...which is EXACTLY what Amazon are doing with Ubuntu, do go back to our original argument. Hence why Lineage OS and Kubuntu were created.

so don't install vanilla ubuntu.

Bentley Long
Bentley Long

do i need to pay 100 bucks to enter the Android store market?
You don't have to pay anything to develop for macOS. Android is to Linux as NeXTStep/OS X are to Mach.

Thomas Collins
Thomas Collins

Free CDs and then DVDs they used to send anywhere to the world, complete with stickers and some marketing stuff.

Ubuntu was distributed with magazines, too.

Also ubuntu meaning sharing in ancient wakanda tribe language - they were SJWs before SJWs got voice, back in 2000's.

Easy to use, ui that's mix of android with windows and linux.

At least 3 variations of UI and countless versions for all the hardware.

Shilled at schools.

They got ahead everyone else and they did it well. Jow Forums isn't smart by hating everything, they just had luck to hate on apple and google, like a broken clock that shows time right twice a day.

Colton Fisher
Colton Fisher

post distro + number of women you've had sex with

Bentley Moore
Bentley Moore

OpenSUSE

Jason Hill
Jason Hill

sounds like my previous workplace, except that I didn't notice any jew. the Italian guy was very short, below 1.60 meters. kind of odd they employ a ton of red hat professionals with certs and shit but noone used fedora.

Jonathan Torres
Jonathan Torres

every de not having a fucking auto updater jesus christ
bait or legit retarded?

Owen Kelly
Owen Kelly

blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994
still trusting Linux Mint after the backdoor fiasco
Distro being maintained by amateurs
Distributing ISOs in a non-https website (pre-2017)
Hacked multiple times in the same way over several days

Why do you still trust this piece of shit distro? It's literally maintained by amateurs who don't know what they're doing. Seriously, just read that blog post and the comments below it.
If you want a stable and easy to use distro, just use Debian or Ubuntu for fucks sake. Debian can even be installed with Cinnamon.

Jaxson Thomas
Jaxson Thomas

what said plus it's bloated as fuck since it doesn't have a minimal install option unlike ubuntu. Why isn't there a good/oficially supported ubuntu cinnamon flavor out there? Cinnamon is really the best thing that came out of that project.

Robert Ortiz
Robert Ortiz

this
ubuntus are the best distros with less compatibility issues and less user difficulty

Kevin Reyes
Kevin Reyes

retards on Jow Forums infesting the board shilling literally the most retarded distributions

William Peterson
William Peterson

Cinnamon is gnome with some garbage hacks.
for fucks sake, those retards don't know what they are doing. Even less make a desktop.
If you don't like gnome use kde.
Or get the fucking panel extension for gnome and be done with it.
Cinnamon is garbage that doesn't even have the optimizations gnome makes with every upgrade

Camden King
Camden King

Just werks
Brainlets who can't be bothered with another distro but want to brag about using Linux
Probably one of the two, possibly a mixture.

Julian Gray
Julian Gray

woke

Wyatt Baker
Wyatt Baker

Its the gateway distro. They start here and then they start testing others and eventually they are competent linux users. (best case scenario)

Thomas James
Thomas James

Because it's probably the easiest to use for anyone making the leap from Windoze, that should be encouraged

Luke Rivera
Luke Rivera

Basically because they marketed the shit out of it, so everyone used it. And then everyone started supporting it for their corporate shit.

Also people like LTS stability, especially when it's free.

Jayden Martinez
Jayden Martinez

yep 100% this

Attached: He's-Right-You-Know.jpg (50 KB, 640x478)

Logan Ross
Logan Ross

Used to help a program in my town that would take in old hardware and turn it around into working computers. We would toss Ubunto on them and give them to old people, other volunteers (community service) would teach them how to use the internet. Eventually switched to Mint.

Ian Rodriguez
Ian Rodriguez

Eventually switched to Mint.
where do these idiots come from?

Brandon Rodriguez
Brandon Rodriguez

distros
You mean distro.

Adrian Sanchez
Adrian Sanchez

Not him, but Ubuntu was slow as shit on my laptop and made my fan louder than it should basically all the time. Its a very "heavy" distro that seems really intensive on a machine. Theres no reason why an OS should be like that which is why a lot of people use Mint instead.

Grayson Thomas
Grayson Thomas

just werks

Elijah Flores
Elijah Flores

there didn't seem to be anything racist about about the OP you are quoting, what do you mean?

Ryan Mitchell
Ryan Mitchell

I mean the derivates ones, kubuntu, xubuntu, etc..

Brayden Carter
Brayden Carter

They aren't derivative at all, they're all just Ubuntu. Nothing actually changes between them.

Jordan Martin
Jordan Martin

Is that the new Arch roll-out? They did a good job. Dosnt look like a pile of hard to use shit anymore.

Attached: Kana-Oyama,-2007-11-06.jpg (7 KB, 132x149)

Joshua Hughes
Joshua Hughes

i mean, on something like lubuntu you will have less access to certain programs and on xubuntu you will have less customizability

Xavier Campbell
Xavier Campbell

Even older PC's handle it well if they're good enough.

t. 7 year old thinkpad

Dylan Gonzalez
Dylan Gonzalez

Because it just works

Aiden Stewart
Aiden Stewart

You can install any desktop on any Ubuntu install. None of the repos change between them.

Lincoln Cruz
Lincoln Cruz

Ways exist. But most Ubuntu users don't bother with it. For the longest time, that Unity desktop was a dead giveaway of a Ubuntu user.

Alexander Foster
Alexander Foster

The return of the glorious eye vaporizing red color scheme for maximum attention guy!
Does it actually exist that theme somewhere?

Attached: good-scheme!.jpg (40 KB, 635x304)

Caleb Nguyen
Caleb Nguyen

whenever i have tried regular ubuntu on my system, everything just seemed to have a bit of delay. it was really annoying.

Juan Hill
Juan Hill

Is that the nos of sisters you have?

Evan Long
Evan Long

I've had that experience too and noticed an improvement once I out it on old hardware that was "top of the line" years ago. I just couldn't get it to run well on anything less then i7 or i5. Even newer i3's struggled to be fast, regardless of SSD.

Angel Ward
Angel Ward

yes, this is why systemd is useful and better for both desktop and server users
just change white/grey for red in your terminal lol

Carter Rogers
Carter Rogers

Mint is pretty much "Ubuntu Cinnamon", which makes it the best Ubuntu.

Dominic Cooper
Dominic Cooper

Casual racism is fantastic, and I wish I could afford to be unemployed again. It was the best.

It's similar here. All the servers in the building are running RHEL but no one will use redhat stuff on their personal machines.

Hunter Murphy
Hunter Murphy

The installer actually fucking works on most hardware

Nicholas Barnes
Nicholas Barnes

You know mint is the same thing with even more garbage piled on top right
i find that really hard to believe. mint feels a lot lighter than ubuntu

Luis Barnes
Luis Barnes

dunno, but Xubuntu is pretty fucking comfy.

Landon Rivera
Landon Rivera

Source?

Jace Lopez
Jace Lopez

Turn off gnome animations and you'll have a much better time.

Colton Butler
Colton Butler

kill yourself shill.
Literally nobody but mint shills coming to this board do this.
oh shit Ubuntu is kind of slow, maybe my pc is slow
install Xubuntu instead
no, nobody thinks of dropping ubuntu because of garbage like that to an amateur trash distribution like mint

Jordan Williams
Jordan Williams

It's more or less Debian with corporation behind it. It also came when Debian was still "hard" to install, not like in the last years where you just do next next next. That's it.

Henry Green
Henry Green

Fedora is literally the distro I have more trouble when installing and using It.

Matthew Stewart
Matthew Stewart

Damn that's really sexy

Aiden Nelson
Aiden Nelson

literally because they had/have the biggest marketing budget, that's the reason

I wouldn't say ubuntu is entirely bad, I got into linux thanks to it and probably lots of other people too, but it's a system aimed at casual users and most of the people who actually use linux as their main OS are programmers, and a "hardcore" distro like arch is a lot more user-friendly to advanced users.

I installed ubuntu on my mom's computer and I think she's the perfect use case, the only thing she uses is the browser for a few specific sites

Jeremiah Diaz
Jeremiah Diaz

Distrowatch stats are not a reliable method to estimate popularity. That site is mostly visited by distrohoppers who obviously won't be using "babby's first distro".

Evan Turner
Evan Turner

nearly every corporate server in the world is running on some derivative of redhat or debian.

Carter Morris
Carter Morris

They have a job to do...

Jose King
Jose King

I used Arch for a few years when I was a student and unemployed. It was a good way to learn and get used to linux. Now that I'm a working man, though, it's the latest LTS release of Ubuntu for me. The "it just werks" thing goes not just for the functionality that normie tech enthusiasts expect but also for dev stuff. All the servers at work are always running the latest LTS Ubuntu server too, so dependencies match up fine with no fuss. And on the off chance something goes wrong, the proving grounds of Arch taught enough to fix an issue that comes up in Ubuntu easily.

As far as DE and distro flavor goes, it's Xubuntu for me since XFCE>GNOME>KDE>defunct Unity. Simple but powerful and customizable, and it uses very little resources.

t. >CHICANO

Post your Ubuntus anons

Attached: DeepinScreenshot-select-area-20190914130610.png (1.44 MB, 1919x1079)

Isaiah King
Isaiah King

Because based disco doggo

Dylan Johnson
Dylan Johnson

left wing has rotted your brain, what does your identity group have anything to do with what OS you use?

Nolan Stewart
Nolan Stewart

First:
Isn't redhat (freetards had old hate for redhat).
Second:
Free CDs:
Third
Proprietary shit.
Fourth
Just works.

Aaron Moore
Aaron Moore

I mentioned it because these posts did

Oliver Moore
Oliver Moore

do you realize how retarded it is to refer to yourself as a chicano, what are you even attemting to show? are you first generation mexican immigrant from the 40s 50s and 60s? that term is racist and cringey as fuck, more likely than not, you are a white american born in the usa third or fourth generation. there is no such thing as hispanic bucko. youre white, leave california

Michael Kelly
Michael Kelly

My main board is /int/ where it's extremely common for non-american posters to go >CHI when an American posts. Haven't been on Jow Forums in a while.

Thomas Cruz
Thomas Cruz

Sorry. If you want to trigger Jow Forums all you got to do is bring /pol/ subjects in. That really pissed me off, I lived in the US for years the most racist and pervasive thing that people do as "empowerment" is to say what a xyz-american type they are, which is bullshit, embrace the fact that you're american or go home, none of the hyphenated bullshit

Aaron Robinson
Aaron Robinson

sane defaults. I would like to use fedora but they have the worst installer I have ever seen. worse than debian for sure. and they don't even do swap files. nah I have to do swap partition... unless I want to partition myself ofc. But if I need to do everything myself I rather go back to Gentoo or arch...

Charles Hill
Charles Hill

That is how I am in real life. Strangely /int/ and /pol/ bring up hyphenated-americanism more than it is done in real life, in my experience any way.

Attached: theodore-roosevelt-quote-there-is-no-room-in-this-country-for-hyphenated-americanism-when-i-refer-to (80 KB, 850x400)

David Gonzalez
David Gonzalez

Whats wrong with KDE? I am using it now and I find its slicker and works better than the others. I get bad screen tearing and other bad stuff on XFCE and Gnome is slow

Liam Martinez
Liam Martinez

I installed Ubuntu on my gfs laptop and it worked really well for about 6 months. Now it's failing to boot, I think because of an NVIDIA driver issue.
I was only able to get to grub once by holding shift on boot, set nomodeset but that didn't help. Now I can't get the timing right.
I'm just going to use a live USB next time I get the chance.

Hunter Bell
Hunter Bell

ubuntu is a bloaty mess
then get Xubuntu or there are even smaller ones

Oliver Hughes
Oliver Hughes

fuck systemD. If you can’t write shell scripts or understand how a Unix like system works, you shouldn’t be using one.

Mason Martin
Mason Martin

systemd is a shell replacement
wow, this is your average systemd hater

Robert Bennett
Robert Bennett

Unless you just put cinnamon on Ubuntu, in which case Ubuntu is the best Ubuntu.

Christopher Harris
Christopher Harris

It's just his personal preference. KDE I find has much better performance in the one game I care about. I really like GNOME too though. Xfce would be ranked below either for me, but it's fun to make it look like Haiku.

Isaiah Young
Isaiah Young

It makes Linux desktop really fucking accessible that's why.
Only because its DE is less of a resource hog and it resembles old school windows.

Liam Smith
Liam Smith

Lol didn't terry at one point say on OSDev that he didn't know what vmware did and didn't care to learn?

Justin Foster
Justin Foster

And people who don’t want to think about it nerd

Alexander Gray
Alexander Gray

Go back to windows, kiddo. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

Benjamin Ross
Benjamin Ross

wow, this is your average systemd hater
he doesn't know what a proper init system is
Init... are you with me? ....scripts
init scripts.
Are you fucking defective? Go back to windows.

Ryan Fisher
Ryan Fisher

Turn off gnome animations and you'll have a much better time.
How the HELL do you do that

John Martin
John Martin

this is your average Ubuntu user

Chase Bell
Chase Bell

i mean im serious. there isnt a clear option for that, and when i google it, people suggest you have to install different kinds of programs. is there really no easily accessible option to turn off animations in gnome?

Christian Hill
Christian Hill

hurrhrudshhurhduhrudr im so old i used sysvinit fudrddruurr
retard

Chase Fisher
Chase Fisher

There are TONS of relevant results on the first page. You're trolling.

John Jackson
John Jackson

being this fucking daft
I use sysvinit right now you fucking retard.
Systemd's initial release was also only in 2010 you mong. You must be 18 years old to post here.

Systemd was almost as much of a mistake as anime.

Brayden Long
Brayden Long

Are you both retarded? Android is a google project

Hunter Watson
Hunter Watson

Literally just weeks and has the most third party libraries.

want to install spotify or some other common application? literally 2 commands instead of spending 20-30 minutes figuring out how to get shit to work.

Elijah Ramirez
Elijah Ramirez

that's usually because they use Debian or Ubuntu on their servers and are familiar with it

Justin Rivera
Justin Rivera

systemd hater is anti anime
at this point just browse reddit lmao

Oliver Reed
Oliver Reed

if you look at popular things they're often not the best. For example, look at popular porn stars. Pretty damn old and ugly

Elijah Robinson
Elijah Robinson

Ubuntu is kinda like the Glock of Linux distros, it was hugely innovative a long time ago and it's been coasting on its own success since then, and there are several better alternatives out there.

William James
William James

Easier way is to use the terminal

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface l enable-animationsfalse

Caleb White
Caleb White

does this require installing third party programs? or is it entirely within the gnome system

Juan Clark
Juan Clark

I'm actually not sure if gsettings is included or not. If it's no then you'll just get a message telling you how to install it with apt.

Luke Scott
Luke Scott

Arch is better

Samuel Adams
Samuel Adams

quit poopin ya pants

Ryan Cooper
Ryan Cooper

too bloated
Yeah, oh no! Yeah, I'm shivering in my boots. How could this dastardly company put DRIVERS and desktop UTILITIES?!?!! In MY Linux?!?!

Aaron Jenkins
Aaron Jenkins

Why the fuck isnt there an Ubuntu flavor for Cinnamon? This shit blows my mind. You'd think that would be one of the most requested and used distros...

Robert Foster
Robert Foster

It comes with more packages pre-installed

Angel Peterson
Angel Peterson

It doesn't work on my machine. Doesn't boot.
Deutsche quality openSUSE just works.
I mean, if distro is too stupid to disable ACPI automatically it is bad

Lincoln Lopez
Lincoln Lopez

I installed Ubuntu and Mint in the past few months. Ubuntu came with Amazon trash pre-installed. Linux Mint didn't. It came with stuff I actually wanted. It also has a nice desktop environment, whereas Ubuntu's DE felt like garbage.
hurr durr but you can uninstall the Amazon trash and install the stuff you want and then also install Cinnamon
Okay but why would I turn Ubuntu into Mint manually when I can just install Mint?

Austin Powell
Austin Powell

Nice try, Clement.
For the rest: just install ubuntu-mini (netinstall) then cinnamon and you're set. No amazon bullshit.

Daniel Carter
Daniel Carter

HAHAHAHAHAHA holy fuck

Jace Green
Jace Green

No fucking idea mate, use fedora or opensuse instead

Caleb Rodriguez
Caleb Rodriguez

When ubuntu was fairly new they were handing out cd's of it at my university. I pity the fool who installed it back then. Now it's fine. Except it's ugly as shit. And it's still a pain in the ass to get it to use the right drivers.

Benjamin Rogers
Benjamin Rogers

and there are several better alternatives out there
Like?

Hunter Ortiz
Hunter Ortiz

Once upon a time, Ubuntu was the only distro that justwerked and it garnered a lot of name recognition as a result. Nowadays, there's tons of distros that justwerk, but Ubuntu is the one everybody knows, and thus gravitates towards.

Noah Jones
Noah Jones

Isn't redhat (freetards had old hate for redhat).
why? It has always been completely free and open source.
Free is not free as in money, is what freetards always say.
But when Red Hat went Enterprise they screeched and shitted their pants with rage.
What the fuck?
Bunch of hypocrites.
Also how they hate Fedora for having firmware, when this may as well be considered part of the hardware since it doesn't run in the OS context.
They are retarded in their own terms.

Brody Peterson
Brody Peterson

Ubuntu 19.04
Security updates end January 2020
Why?

Attached: 8L1yoU4.jpg (21 KB, 480x360)

Henry Baker
Henry Baker

yeah like basically every distro with an installer
or at least mostly

Ayden Cook
Ayden Cook

this
and also marketing by canonical

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit