/hpg/ - Headphone General

What audiopedophile memes have you fallen for this week, Jow Forums?

How to request purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: 1561313989410.jpg (568x837, 533K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/32729542853.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Better than I first thought

Attached: ko$$-bo$$.jpg (1600x485, 98K)

Upon your head, what headphones are you using /hpg/?

Attached: 1561692342257.jpg (1280x720, 126K)

so does impedance affect only volume or sound quality too

First for SUMMIT FIDELITY

Attached: 5E97F968-8CB3-400A-8EA8-78C13FD0BD74.jpg (4032x2883, 2.09M)

my broken but fully functional x2's
not so trusty fucks

tummy

Why do all headphones other than Sansui SS-2s sound like shit to me? I picked these up off ebay a while ago for very cheap. They were in mint condition in their original box. As expected, they had a heavy emphasis on the midrange by default. Not much treble or bass to speak of. I started playing around with EQ and discovered that with just the right EQ they sound fantastic. I ended up using them as my main headphones with my computer for several years. My only issue with them is that they have trouble resolving heavy bass in certain types of music such as rap music or dubstep. Anyway recently I decided to try some modern headphones because surely the technology must have improved over the years? First I tried Sony MDR-7506, but they sounded muddy and lacking detail to me, and they have this over-emphasized bass that doesn't sound realistic at all. I tried EQing them but I could never achieve the audio bliss of the Sansuis. Next I bought the popular Audio-Technica ATH-M40x and again they sounded dull, muddy, lacking in detail and again the bass seems to overpower the music and doesn't sound like the bass you'd get from speakers at all. I was thinking I might try Beyerdynamics (maybe dt880s) next since they supposedly emphasize treble more.

Attached: 57050ae7097f4bab3206107c.jpg (1200x900, 123K)

It can affect both. The output impedance of the amp and the impedance of the headphones both matter.
High impedance headphones require more voltage from the amp to drive. A weak amp will produce quiet, thin sound.
High output impedance on the amp can make low impedance headphones sound underdamped: you get more bass that's less controlled so it will sound boomier and less detailed. The general rule of thumb is that the amp output impedance should be 1/8 or less of the impedance of the headphones.

High impedance headphones need a strong amp to make them very loud and sound good. A such they're also less vulnerable to hiss since that's usually only audible from amps at low volume.
Very low impedance headphones don't have problems being driven, but require low output impedance. Since they tend to be sensitive, they will reveal any noise in your amp, and are more vulnerable to being blown by high volume levels.

Medium impedance, like 20-50 ohms, is generally safe -- it's easy to drive, won't hiss, and won't have trouble with output impedance on most players.
It's also worth noting that high impedance headphones don't generally sound better than the same lower impedance versions of the same model. They're just made to suit equipment that's meant to deal with high impedance headphones, like studio setups that drive many headphones.

I have the HD800S on me. Coupled with a tube amp and Sonarworks EQ, I think I'm done with the headphone game.

How did they break exactly? Do you have a pic to show?
Those are the endgame headphones I want. Glad you enjoy them

Attached: 1568438405923.gif (600x338, 1.61M)

Monoprice 8323. Without EQ they sound muddy and flat on stuff that isn't like just drum and bass heavy. But add the AutoEQ preset for them in Peace / Equalizer APO and they actually sound pretty good, especially for being so cheap.

Broke my ATH-M50x after 3 years. thinking of just getting a replacement or if its time to upgrade. is wireless still a meme or is there some good ones?

one of those metal rods connecting the pad separated. I can kinda pop it back in but it always falls back out. doesn't affect the sound though as far as I can tell

Is there a cheaper DAC/headphone amp + regular amp combo than topping PA3 + DX3, that is actually designed to stack together? I'm super autistic and the aesthetic of two pieces of hardware combining like that is too enticing to pass up. If there isn't I'll probably buy an all in one.

Attached: e649ac4b-6e3d-4811-a8be-1d210d48e5c6.jpg (1200x900, 211K)

i like to stack dark and light audio gear together as a daily reminder of the impermanence of our existence

welp, giving up on my detachable cable mod
can absolutely not get them to work on the right channel,
i can confirm both speakers work by changing up which is left, the cables are fine too, but once the sound comes from the right, neither speaker does anything

Probably D30 + A30 combo, think A30 had something like 10 ohm output though.

want to upgrade iems and phone
how is wireless tech nowadays?
I have senn ie80

I tried SW and didn't like it but a slightly modified oratory1990's profile does the trick for me. This Harman curve thing may be the real deal after all eh?

Attached: IMG_185512.jpg (2000x1480, 512K)

wireless tech is trash

A30 is headphone only, I mean a speaker amp. Googling around your suggestion I found the vx3 that can go with the A30, it's a 2x35W all-in-on that's out of production though, so kinda pointless.

ok but society is going wireless so senn and shure will need to make some good iems that are wireless, high quality, and affordable 200-400$ range

good luck with that retard

>society is going wireless
dumb zoomer, bet you own a iphone

Sennheiser doesn't even make good wired iems. All they're good at are open back around ears.

The schiit stack is the only one that comes to mind, it has a similar aesthetic.

are you mentally ill, femslut?

Attached: 1557328749879.png (800x473, 62K)

I own an s8 actually but the best phones are dropping the jack.

My budget is only 200-400$ and I've found shure/senn to be fine in the range, but I'm always up for some recs. I used klipsch iem but they suck. Most iem suck compared to openback but still a noticable difference using higher quality buds.

Is this some kind of shit astroturf attempt? I keep seeing this image and no one seems to agree about the point of the image.

>the best phones are dropping the jack.
dumb zoomer, plenty of good phones have the jack. S10, lg v50, pixel 3a. benchmarks dont mean shit

phones are dropping the jack so you spend more $$$$ on shitty wireless earphones you retard

I was born in the 80s anyways and I see more people at my work using airbuds than any other headphone brand and ontop of that most are on phones without the jack. The S11 is likely to drop the jack but personally I hope not. And I doubt zoomers can drop 1000$+ on a high end phone anyways as they're still in school or working their first few years.

You're deluded though if you don't believe it will be the norm in a few years. High end iems will have to adapt.

My ie 40 pro disagrees with you.

>will have to adapt.
no they wont, because you dumb zoomies will pay premium anyway

Single dynamic driver in that price range is most certainly not okay. Get a decent multi BA inear and throw that garbage out.
They won't, since mmcx is a thing and you can do whatever the fuck you want with your iems that way.
>but ordinary people don't want ANY cable
yeah, but ordinary people don't want shure/westone/UE/jh audio anyway.

it's some sperg that thinks he's pulling off le epic troll by using shota images. so far no one seems to really care tho
thats quite shitty. maybe you can buy replacement parts if possible

Listening to my Andromeda right now but usually HD800S

Eh, I think we might actually see the portable media players having a bit of resurgence. Audiophiles still use them, and I'm sure more people on Jow Forums will hop on to that train if they cannot get phone with headphone jack. I might be one of those people since I'd rather not have yet another device I need to recharge (and the wires never really bothered me in any way). Other option will probably be bluetooth receivers and cables.

Oops, herpaderped there badly - of course the pmp would also need to be charged which would mean it's +- on the amount of devices needing charging. Just that, bigger form factor enables having bigger battery, which would mean less frequent need for charging.

Why 650 modded is so much better than focal clear and 800s?

ESL 650shitters..

Triggered?

>be me
>use beats
>ROFL BEATS SUCK GET REAL HEADPHONES LIKE MUH HD600
>no bass

Who quoting?

audiophiles are a joke
your headphones all sound the same
"the difference you hear" is similar to the people on /x/ who have supernatural experiences
it's all a joke fuck these HD600

ok lol

>have to get up
>have the choice to either take off my headphones or switch to my BT adapter
>choose B
>spend the rest of the day with BT
I dunno what I should be doing but I guess this works

Why everything above 600 series is a meme? and amps/dacs are meme

I kinda want that now
What's a good adapter for that?

see
headphone reviews are literally just ghost stories

Probably something Fiio or ES100. I have a cheap-ish chink one and it sounds perfect though, no difference to wired no matter how much I tried to listen.

>Budget
$250-$350
>Location
U.s.a
>Source
Galaxy s7 and laptop
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Preferably comfy enough to wear them for long periods of time
>Sound signature
Bassy
>Past headphones
Samsung earbuds, jam transit evo buds.

Attached: 1562182445440.jpg (640x632, 212K)

But you said "fuck these 600" lol

get bobabalboallalala

samefag

RBH HP-2/Urbanfun TS-1/HaaFee HD1

All the same headphone but got rebranded to hell and back

>mfw all this tinnitus talk got me sweating
>see this chart
>download app to measure volume
>turn up volume as loud as is comfortable to listen to for both rock/metal and hip-hop
>topped out at 80 dB
who the fuck listens to shit louder than that?
I was worried because I can't listen to certain music at low volumes but apparently I'm relatively safe.
Who the fuck can stand above 90 dB? Even ~80 dB seems sketchy and can seem a bit fatiguing after more than a few songs.

Grado gang WW@

Attached: IMG-8206.jpg (1200x926, 1.39M)

Contrary to popular belief Beats aren't actually bad anymore the very early models used to be but now they're good. They are overpriced however with the way they're usually build you'd expect them to cost at Max 150$.

There a many Chinese headphones that cost the same or less and are better built, while sounding equal or superior. The Takstar pro 82 for example should fit your bass needs and it checks with everything I mentioned they also come with a very nice case.

Attached: 20180209_153522.jpg (3264x2448, 1.59M)

Attached: 1463319958275.jpg (753x452, 47K)

You'd only need an amp to make your headphones louder without them distorting that's it, the only amps that can actually change the sound are tubes. Audiophiles like to add buzzwords like syrupy sound or grain or speed and believe that they can hear the difference between multiple solid state amps, so you shouldn't really listen to them and do your own research instead. Being able to understand FR graphs helps seeing through most of the bullshit.

It's obvious that people buy new shit for that endorphin shot be it headphones, smartphones or other consumables. I mean I recently fell for the hype of the ThieAudio Phantom and made the mistake of not looking at the FR graphs. The signs and warnings of it being overhyped shit were there but the newtoy syndrome made me ignore it, I managed to sell it but you need to be careful in this hobby man.

Forgot the MOOH-BE00BT.

Replacing the cable is a complete pain in the ass though.

>the only amps that can actually change the sound are tubes
Just use EQ bruh

Shut it down the goyim are questioning us

Ok I need some help anons.

Why do speakers need to be large to produce lower frequencies like less than 60hz but headphones can go really low while being smaller than most speakers?

My MH751 arrived. So far I love them, and they were only $70 new. What a steal.

The only complain I have is that I'd rather have a wide headband, but they're still comfy as fuck.

From what i see online it's because speakers have to move more air compared to headphones but couldn't you just turn up the volume on the speakers to get the lower notes then?

Why the fuck are those boomer retards so actively opposed to improvement?
They would have the absolute GOAT headphones if they spent a few grand to design a set of pads that were actually comfortable and didn't leave the drivers resting on your fucking ears.

>Budget
whatever
>Location
EU
>Source
Huawei P20 Pro
>Type of headphone
wireless / true wireless IEM
>Comfort level
okay
>Sound signature
flat
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD598

looking for the best price/quality pair of bluetooth IEMs. idc if they re true wireless or not, just not to have a really bulky cable. sound quality should be decent, and they should have good battery life.

stax

>Budget
us$35
>Location
Poland
>Source
PC and laptop with no soundcard, iphone 6s
>Type of headphone
in-ear
>Comfort level
comfortable through Sound signature
dc
>Past headphones
hyperx cloud II, apple earpods

moondrop spaceship + dekoni bulletz
>16 hours
no IEM will be comfortable that long

stax

Panasonic RP-HJE120 / 125.

Based

Why do they always draw boys like girls? Is it trying to attract guys to turn gay

>no IEM will be comfortable that long
how about

>Is it trying to attract guys to turn gay
anyone who like anime is already gay

Don't buy ThieAudio Phantom lads the amount of modding you need to do just to make it sound a little good is ridiculous for it's asking price. That thing should cost 200$ max and even then it has to compete with the 58X jubilee. You're better off waiting for the M1070 if it absolutely has to be a Planar.

Attached: 29dd4291598636377242a5cf58fc806f3454e989_2_1380x718.jpg (1380x718, 277K)

Why do you guys use planars or electrostats over dynamic headphones?

autism

Planars are a superior technology compared to dynamics IN THEORY. There isn't a Planar that absolutely shits on a dynamic yet but it has the potential. Electrostats too but the ones I've tried like the L700 aren't as mind-blowing as everyone makes them out to be, they also feel brittle as fuck.

I have a pair of speakers with
>Pmax 15VA
>Ppeak 45VA
>Zj 4ohm
How does that translate in terms of power?
Also, can you recommend some amp? If it can do more stuff than just speakers, all the better.

How come amazon.de has plenty DIN 41529 connectors but amazon.com seems to have none? Is this some euro standard?

grados sound so fucking distorted too. their construction is a joke

What are the best affordable bluetooth in ears? And what's better, the ones with a cable around the neck or the true wireless ones?

Attached: index.jpg (300x300, 8K)

What kind of fucking frequency respond is this?

ATH ES10 modded is on my ears right now and it rocks!

Attached: Audio-Technica-ATH-ES10.jpg (640x480, 23K)

>distorted
they sound amazing.
My SR325es BTFO my HD598s, they're just not fucking comfortable. I don't know how they don't realized their sales would be so much better if they were more comfy. They're so polarizing, partially because of their aggressive sound but also because people hate wearing them.
Grado, you dumb boomer fucks:
1. make your shit comfy
2. at least investigate design improvements. you have $2000+ headphones with the same shit aluminum headband and earcup adjustment mechanism
You can't enjoy good sound if you can't stand the things on your head

Whoa shit, either the measurement rig used was complete shit or this thing is an abomination

Attached: 1566451236539.jpg (427x427, 21K)

For affordable and better battery life the cabled ones. The true wireless ones are really convenient and i personally wouldn't go for a cabled set as they're too easy to steal on public transport, but if you're using them at a desk or whatever then probably go for them

>HD598
lol. really setting a low bar there

>aren't actually bad
>you'd expect them to cost at Max 150$
These are mutually exclusive you dumbass

I bought them like 7 years ago, they were my first good phones after my grado sr60s
HD 650 aren't even that much better

>Sansui SS-2
>Why are these literal god tier (actual) speakers in a can so good compared to over marketed ching chong garbage ?
Hmmm. I wonder ? Sansui was a better audio company that sony and stax could ever dream to be. Sansui and Pioneer back in the day treated audio manufacturing as an art form when overseas it always was simply an industrial endeavor. Sure there was some legendary shit like the R10 from sony but this stuff always was the exception not the rule. Their stuff also had a tendency to shit the bed when you look at them wrong. Sansui and pionner's offering still hold up 60 years later. They both died when their mission was over and nobody cared about true hi fi anymore. Dont even dare suggest your "boutique" brands can even compare to them. The industry's soul died with Nozomu Matsumoto. Sansui died making TVs. What we have now is what we deserve.

Attached: Pioneer-SX-1980.jpg (900x437, 162K)

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1558259056888.png (1920x1080, 1.47M)

aliexpress.com/item/32729542853.html
thoughts on these? legit?
they're gonna be my first IEMs

At least get the ZSN Pros.

it was good 4 years ago.
>pro
dont. get the regulars.