Why aren't these kind of minilaptops taking off?

Attached: TopJoy-Falcon-Mini-Laptop-2[1].jpg (700x500, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/k549iMx3YHM?t=75
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

because they are gimmicks for tech enthusiasts

Screen looks too small.

Overexpensive and underperforming. It's unfortunate really, they're super neat but the majority of computing components aren't designed to operate at that size so they have to neuter them to keep them from melting.

They suck at being small and portable and they suck even more at being a laptop.

A laptop without full sized keyboard is a toy, making it normal also increases the screen size and you basically get an ultraportable. Make the keyboard optional and you get an even more portable device with more uses.

Because they are uncomfortable to to fucking anything on.

This
There's so many reasons these products suck

They are though. GPD keeps releasing new ones all the time and they sell like hotcakes.

why did people design and fund the production of such an obviously bad product?

Same reason why non-Apple tablets are dying
Netbooks and mini laptops exist in the middle ground where it's too large that it's not any less bulky than a conventional laptop, but it's also too small to do any real work comfortably.

Because they aren't autistic, if you weren't also, you'd have a theory of mind that would make it possible for you to understand that not every human thinks like you and there are scenarios and use cases that suit particular things better than others.
It's not even "did", there has been at least a dozen crowdfundings for different UMPCs that all materialized at some point, GPDs being the best example for this. But there's everything from not-actually UMPC Gemini to now a reality Smack Z, with half a dozen GPD products.

Netbooks are as popular as ever though, look at all these Chromebook models at around 11".

So you people live under a rock? Netbooks and UMPCs have been on the rise again in the past few years.

basically thesr

honestly 12" is as low as you can go and still have a full fledge functional laptop and theres already thinkpads for that. lower you can just get a tablet coz you're not gonna work comfortably on it anyways

these*

You sure? Compared to the early 2010's, they have been on the raise again in the recent years.
They will always be less popular than big laptops though.

Saturating a niche market does not equal 'on the rise' lmao

Truth is these things are too obtuse and tiny to use for any work and for entertainment you can either get a laptop+emulator+controller or a handheld gaming console. I'd rather just get a tablet with a keyboard attached as the size factor would be better (bigger keyboard, but less fat), but honestly my 13 inch laptop covers all grounds.

Now if they made them in the 7-10 inch range with high quality materials, that would be worth consideration, but then you'd circle back to the price point of a tablet+keyboard.

It makes sense because the form factor simply just sucks, what I don't get is why so many people carry around a tablet with a folding keyboard case.

Too big for pocket and if you are are going to carry bag you can carry laptop.

Too small target user base.
Normalfags are OK with their smartphones or buy a normal laptop for when they need to get shit done.
I see them more of a hacker device, but you cannot sell hacker devices if they are
1. overpriced
2. come with fucking wangblows 10.

Because a fucking iPad is cheaper and better.

the cutest

I still use a 11" netbook for my portable machine, does everything I need.
I have a GPD Win 2 for gaming also, glad they are becoming popular again.
Still waiting for a Vaio UX remake.

>Saturating a niche market does not equal 'on the rise' lmao
But that's literally what it is then. If sales are increasing, it's raising. I doubt it's saturated also if there are several crowd foundings going on and all they reach several multiples of their goals.

It’s the best of both worlds, at least could be.

For consuming content, reviewing it or drawing you only need a screen. For creating you are better off with a real keyboard. Why not combining it into one device with optional keyboard?

Found them really helpful for lectures back when I was in uni, but I think it's too limited power-wise to be efficient. It takes a while to get used to typing on them as well.

However back in the days it was really lightweight, extended battery life (8+ hours easily) and still a fully functional laptop. For basic text edit and surfing it was all I needed.

So it'd suck as a server.

I always wanted one of those (pic) but heard that Linux support was crap.
Anybody bought one?

Attached: image.jpg (1280x720, 158K)

was thinking of it, but after what you said, I'm never considering it

I would be way more interested if the keyboard was implemented differently. Something like how Nokia E7 did it for example.

Because anything below 12" is not ergonomic

Attached: 1q8jha82q4s01.jpg (1600x1200, 170K)

I'd like to see what the fuck I'm typing or watching. At this point just get a tablet you zoomer.

Laptops are anything but ergonomic.

That's like saying vehicles are slow because you've only ever driven a tractor.

Exactly. Onions boys who have jobs in the tech sector but aren't technical love to blow their cash on this kind of shit. The only dorks I see using this shit are guys with job titles like "Sr Product Reviewer" with journalism degrees who were feminine enough to be considered a diversity hire.

That's like you're retarded because you're retarded.

>if in doubt, call the other person retarded

The keyboard is kinda the selling point.

The psion keyboard isn't great, the keys are small and you can't really type when holding the device with one hand

It’s netbooks all over again

Microsoft made them suck

You have got to be retarded. I work in low voltage with a lot of different shit, and one of these mini chinktops has been a godsend for my work.

>tiny as shit for when you need to squeeze into small attics and crawlspaces
>native RS-232 for legacy hardware interfaces that don't play nice with USB converters
>low resolution plays really well for legibility with tty only applications
>usually have amazing drop resistance due to their lack of weight and glass touch screens
>has an actual amd64 i5 processor that gets shit done, unlike the atom netbooks from a decade ago
>can be velcro mounted for hands free fuckery

Seriously, get one, get netinstall Debian or Manjaro (or whatever autist distro you prefer that has a non-shit upstream) on this fucker, add LTSB, and boom, you've got a cyber switchblade

Attached: 1566956875676.png (630x441, 224K)

They're not botnet free.

I really meant the mechanism opening it not the keyboard itself. I actually like the look of the keyboard itself but I'd imagine using it as a phone or quickly browsing something on the internet etc. would be annoying cause you'd have to pretty much pop the thing open every time.

youtu.be/k549iMx3YHM?t=75

I now realize though that this would probably be a bit hard to achieve cause the screen would have to cover a lot of the bottom part of the device.

I would get one if they weren't overpriced as fuck.

I have a dell xps 13 and I sure as hell wouldn't want to do work on anything smaller

Damn you may have convinced me...thanks dude!

I would unironically use one as a dedicated shitpost machine.
Instead I use an iPad pro with a full size tkl Bluetooth apple keyboard.
It's the comfiest setup for reading research papers and making handwritten note. But it's trash when it comes to writing code.
So what I do instead is I use Google colab because it's running in the browser and has free GPUs.

Why would you get that fuck tablet for 1000 when you could get a decent laptop instead?

This user is spot on, i cant wait to get my GPD microPC.

Too big to be truly pocket portable like a phone
Too small to be useful like a laptop (comfortable keyboard, easy to read relatively large screen)
They're a gimmick, IMO a neat one but still

Cause they suck ass to actually type on and do work

would the GPD MicroPC be good for pentesting, terminal applications, and oldschool runescape?

same people who buy useless shit like like VR headsets and Nintendo Switches also buy this useless shit.

This, the micropc is actually usable too, for some weird reason if you can type with your fingers then its transferable to typing with your thumbs

Because it's caught in-between a tablet/smartphone and a full-size laptop, both of which accomplish their roles in a much better way. It's a failed and unneeded design.

GPD need to start make charging docks for the UMPC's

I really am looking forward to their switch clone, hopefully it gains mainstream traction

because the marketing for phones and tablets is much more aggressive

people forgot the point of having a laptop (small and portable).

Now if the screen is not big, and unable to play games, people think its trash, or a gimmick.

Attached: tumblr_pkxty5psM71sguk2k_500.gif (500x375, 1.62M)