Buy new monitor for writing code in portrait mode

>buy new monitor for writing code in portrait mode
>text looks like shit
>look it up
>a million people have this problem

what the fuck is this shit, is there a specific monitor\videocard combo for readable text in portrait mode?

Attached: 1550104232791.png (645x720, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bestusbpoweredmonitor.com/2018/04/02/best-vertical-monitor/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bestusbpoweredmonitor.com/2018/04/02/best-vertical-monitor/

Works on my machine

Attached: photo.jpg (900x900, 105K)

I'm talking about reading and writing text, I don't care about pre-calibrated gamut SRGB bezels

The only option is to turn off font antialiasing (or at least switch to basic B/W smoothing) or use pixel fonts for programming, as most rendering systems can't distinguish between horizontal vs. vertical RGB triplets on different monitors with subpixel rendering. At least fontconfig/Freetype2 does, I don't know if ClearType on Windows supports it.

thanks I'll look into it

update: it's still shit

If your using Linux you can change the subpixel order to match the rotated display
If your using MacOS you shouldn't notice the problem since AA is greyscale anyway.
If your using Windows, try ClearType Tuner or whatever it is now

Install Gentoo, no memes.

Attached: screenshot.png (331x113, 5K)

You know about subpixel rendering, right user?

sure

I got you homie.

Attached: scrot.png (716x580, 46K)

sweet but what about windows? I need it for stuff

>If your using Windows, try ClearType Tuner or whatever it is now
that kinda works but only if don't use multiple monitors

>windows

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 10K)

>windows
Tss.... about that... Windows doesn't care about font rendering at any level. You could try 7 or 8.1, those have older, better font rendering.

RGB rotated 90 degrees (counterclockwise) is VBGR, just set the font aliasing type with Xfce or in the config files.
rm /etc/fonts/conf.d/10*rgb*
ln -s /usr/share/fontconfig/10*vbgr* /etc/fonts/conf.d

doesn't take a genius, but you are using Linux, right?

>hqdefault.jpg

this is what I mean with gentoo toddlers who don't know to do it manually have eselect tho

this is for 90 degrees clockwise.
get it wrong and it will look fucked up too

Looks shit on Windows because (in the year 2019) it can't compensate for the change in subpixel orientation. MacOS and even fucking Loonix can do this no problem.
It's something I got used to but I imagine that's awfully hard if you're writing code.

>bought something before reading reviews
>disappointed
Deserved.

>(((reviews)))

lol why are you out of your containment board?

yes I've noticed Windows has shit rendering. Ubuntu fonts look amazing on the same monitor, almost like a retina display, took me a while to set it up but it was worth it.

>Ubuntu
Use manjaro (xfce).

show me reviews where they compare portrait mode text rendering between monitors

nigga I already use the latest xfce

like I said the only problem is on windows10.
for now I'll try a couple of cleartext tuning utilities I found on various websites, if this doesn't work then I'll try to use Ubuntu as work OS but it's a huge fucking timesink pain in the ass to set up that I wanted to avoid in the first place.

>buy new monitor for writing code in portrait mode
>lead dev sets line break at 200 chars
>mfw

Attached: 1568148549452.jpg (1294x1080, 294K)

forget it. Windows can not do it. Simple as that. Microsoft apparently never thought about the possibility that you could use several screens with different orientations.
I mean, fucking hell even the Surface line is suffering from this. When you rotate a Surface tablet, text will look dog shit. Then you run clear type tuner, make it look acceptable, but once you rotate back it breaks again. This is the absolute state of Windows.

wew I found threads from 2007 complaining about this

You are lucky. I have to deal with 120.