Am I a dumb boomer for shutting down my PC every night?

Am I a dumb boomer for shutting down my PC every night?

Attached: 332136f6-e616-4213-b052-48dd25feac25.png (640x400, 68K)

No, you pay less for electricity

Yes

its like $20 a year

yes you are

i put it to sleep on a daily basis

i used to shut down once a week
but now wangblows 10 updates can come out of nowhere and threaten you to save your work and let it restart, or it'll do it for you if you leave the computer unattended for just 2 minutes while you go to the bathroom to pee...so iinstead of shutting down every sunday night like i used to, i just use sleep until it bothers me with the updates. only then do i shut down. i have no idea how often that is though. does windows have a schedule?

Attached: 1567773806538.jpg (736x1104, 77K)

I have sleep mode @ 12 hours, that's about it. Updates aside, it's been on for years

I used to shut down every night.

Now I just suspend. Gets me back to where I was instantly.

No, I am shutting it down all the times once I know I am done for that day and open it the next time I need. The boot time is pretty short anyways, only a fucking ADHD riddled retard would just put the PC always on sleep without giving it a rest once in a while.
>t. zoomer

I just have it on from when I get home from work and turn it off at night.
With an SSD it takes 20sec to boot and I don't really have any issues with windows updates.

Electricity is expensive. I kill all the power every night.

putting it to sleep is less stressful for it than shutting down and starting back up every day. you're the idiot who needs to give his computer a rest.
it costs more electricity to start it up again from cold every day than it does to just have it sleep.

Shut down nowadays means hibernate if you haven't set it to actually shut down from the power options. It's a good idea to give the PC a reboot every once in a while though. Solves all sorts of problems.

No, if your case has fans I would shut it down whenever not in use.

If you're using a notebook I would shut it down whenever done, it will save the display primarily, and battery health.

I also would not rely on sleep mode (for windows) because it's just buggy. Your task scheduler will be a mess.

Nothing wrong with shutting it down, it's barely a problem when it takes 5-10 seconds at worst for the thing to turn on again.

Attached: 36644092.jpg (704x1136, 425K)

i shutdown after every time i am done. when i want to boot up the computer and go straight in to a game its about 6 to 7 minutes.
my 2009 macbook pro is always on.

I would just put mine into sleep mode but it blue screens when I try to wake it up

Yes, use sleep mode.

Oh no. My reliability has decreased from 20 years to 18.

A sleeping desktop will use about 10 watts. If you turn your computer off for 8 hours a day, that saves 80 watt hours every day over sleeping. That is about 1 cent of electricity saved.
Shutting down is better because sleeping and waking doesn't give the OS a chance to start from scratch.

Takes me less than a minute to boot so I just shut it down.

Attached: zkmM_OlH_400x400.jpg (400x400, 29K)

Did the math, closer to $5 a year vs putting it in sleep mode.
If you just leave the machine on, it's using around 80w idle, so if you let it idle for 10 hours when it could be shut down, that would cost around $30-$50 a year.

What about the RAM component?

the absolute state of wintards

Attached: NeNe-has-seen-ENOUGH.jpg (534x367, 185K)

No, it's healthier to sleep in non-ionized air.

I don't shut down my server, that one is always on unless I need to upgrade it or make a backup of its OS. I shut down my desktop whenever it wouldn't be used for extended periods of time, such as overnight, when I'm at work or when I'm not home for extended periods in general. I see no purpose to keeping it on. Hell, there was more incentive to keep it on back in the day when an old Windows install might have taken multiple minutes to load up completely, but right now with fast as fuck SSDs and full boot times well under 1 minute, or even 30s, or even 15s I really see no point. I didn't do it back then either though, it felt like a periodic restart had a positive effect on performance/stability for Windows in those days.

God I wish electricity was that cheap in first world countries.

actually it is not.
and i suspect it's a big reason as to why some peoples SSD's fail so early on.

windows uses hybrid sleep modes that read and write ram to your disk drive the same way hibernate does.

$20 i dont want to pay *dabs on the electric companies*

Sometimes I check the uptime to see how long I've been awake. As it get's switched on not long after I get up and then last thing before I go to sleep. Also if I'm going out I usually switch it off.

So this what you do? Go on the internet and spread shit....

Unless you have a bunch of external hard drives plugged in, it's nowhere near 10 watts to sleep. My old Haswell based desktop sleeps at 3.5 watts. And when it is turned off, it still draws nearly 2 watts of vampire energy from wall unless the power supply is switched off.

Attached: 82-715-001-05.jpg (640x480, 12K)

Switch the it off,
make it live more
>(unless you have shitty capacitors and mechanical drives which get stressed when turning on)

I really want to get one of those, just because I am quite curious as to how much power random devices use...

GNU+Linux isn't unusable for 30 minutes after a cold boot like windows10, so I shut my computer off whenever I get up to top up my coffee.

>complete shutdown
>unplug from wall
>remove power supply

No power surge problems for me

seethe more, cuckold

No, but I question how you have absolutely NOTHING you need to run overnight on a regular basis.

Like?

Attached: 1448311138754.jpg (567x720, 188K)

pinging NSA HQ like a true hacker on steroids

I shut it down like a sane person every night. I like to think it extends the silicon life.

Why use windows 10 if it sucks so much? Do you have a job that requires it? Just use 7 or 8.1 and ublock origin and dont open files you dont trust

Backups, torrents, E2EE chatrooms so you don't miss receiving keys

Isn't power/energy efficiency on systems constantly improving it's not that impactful anymore?
Now shit like cable boxes..

that'll work for a while
but eventually browsers won't get updated for it
like how it's impossible to use XP now

so i chose to do it now rather than have it hanging over me and have to do it later anyway

I don't need to backup anything.
I don't seed anything.
I don't know what the other gay shit you said is, bitch nigger.

> 30 cents a month
What a cash. Totally worth restarting all my programs every day.

Yeah... Sure...
I use the computer 4 to 6 hours a day, the rest of the day is making RAM be loaded and making it work. There is a reason it is volatile. And since now highschool started again, I do not need it open everyday, I mostly use it in weekends.

don't get mad at facts