Simple Man Looking For Desktop Speakers

I just want some decent speakers for desktop pc use for movies and online stuff as I use my highend headphones connected to their DAC + AMP for music.

Everywhere I ask all people say is "go passive so you can upgrade for better stuff later"

And they all have a bias against powered speakers it seems, I know passive speakers can be better value but I just want something better than my Logitech Z150's nothing amazing.

Trying to decide between the Edifier R1280T's for $95USD or the PreSonus Eris E3.5's for $139USD.

(the above prices include shipping costs to NZ.)

Attached: 71KnRgLZppL._SL1200_.jpg (1200x876, 170K)

passive is comfy
get a pair of Fluance speakers

All of which cost more than these by a fair amount even without the amp needed for it. there are the fluance ai40's but they are both too tall height wise for my desk and cost $246USD incl shipping to my country.

Bumping my own post.

Attached: frog_bump.jpg (600x480, 27K)

I have the Presonus Eris E3.5s. They are excellent speakers with a small form factor and a large and clear sound. Great bass, too, without rumbling.

I got a pair of audioengine HD3's and a down firing subwoofer. A bit overkill for desktop pc use but I have a turn table just off to the side of my desk so I didn't want a full receiver.

I got a pair of these for 60 bucks, sound quality is damn near unbeatable for the price.
Pair them up with a cheap amp and you've got a great budget setup.

Attached: Kro-Craft-Speaker-Rev_B-ViewSet_04[1].jpg (800x600, 173K)

get 5 inchers at least

Attached: 1554733715576.png (249x387, 38K)

I've had this same dilemma OP, good luck

Cant I just get a few car audio monitors (e.g. triple cone from pioneer) add them to a box, add some crossovers and an amplifier in the mix, and have nice monitors? I could do this without the amplifier for about 50$

>Everywhere I ask all people say is "go passive so you can upgrade for better stuff later"
People are dumb. There's a good reason every professional (as in, actually used by sound engineers, not marketing wank) studio monitor is an active monitor.

You can definitely get something good for cheap if you go the DIY route. Just look up some diagrams for bookshelf speaker enclosures and do some research on budget full-range drivers.

sound quality hasn't improved in decades and there are tons of audiophile quality monitors on the uses market for a fraction of their retail price. pair with any of the class t digital amps off eBay/Amazon and you've got yourself worthy setup.

Get your ass to goodwill or a flea market. If you just want something that'll be better than nothing then you can get a whole amp+passive setup for your $140 budget, a refoaming kit for the speakers, and probably have a good not just ok setup

Presonus Eris are top-tier no matter what size you get. 3.5s will be great for general multimedia use. If you really want something you'll never have to upgrade if you find yourself becoming more enthused by audio, get the Eris 8s. Sound is true, clear and neutral unlike the niggerfied Rokits with exaggerated bass.

How are studio monitors for general listening?

I have a couple of Presonus Eris E5. I bought them when everyone shilled the JBL LSR 305 basically everywhere. I'll never regret my choice, the E5 are simply amazing: balanced, lots of choices for room control, top notch psu quality, front bass-port is great if you need to place them near a wall.
Very good, but just keep in mind that studio monitors are designed to reproduce music tracks as close as possible to their source. Some people may not like this.

>muh monitors
>not just buying some $100 Bose and be done with it

Attached: bose_2.jpg (1000x667, 98K)

based bosechad

Attached: 1568177760347.png (1499x2541, 1.53M)

Attached: Screenshot_20190523-075205_Chrome.jpg (1419x1152, 388K)

just get the 100$ bose ones on amazon, and upgrade in a year or two if you want more

Audioengine . They have good powered and passive alike for reasonable prices. I suggest A2+ , A5+, or HD6 depending on size and what you wish to spend.

>audioengine
in the trash it goes

user is right audio engine is a meme aesthetic brand equivalent to apple.

Hi op again. Know any under 24cm tall though? All the speakers with 5"ers are at least 27cm tall. My monitor blocks off the max height for these and I can't move it around to fit taller speakers.

Yeah I've looked at used stuff but in my country their only seems to be large speakers, not many smaller bookshelf speakers.

I think I would be ok with that, if not can you EQ speakers like you can headphones?