/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Don't dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previously:

Attached: 1490994767207.jpg (1013x1123, 1.04M)

Other urls found in this thread:

people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/navi10/)
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the true next-generation thread:

Good thread.

sshfs -o allow_other remote:/ mnt/remote
sudo chroot mnt/remote

Attached: 1529518601091.webm (1280x720, 239K)

What distro should I try after Mint?

Attached: 1538996299321.png (1280x732, 255K)

don't even joke about that

Remember not to feed the trolls. Every reply makes them stronger.

oka--
wait, chrooting to an in-use remote root? that doesn't sound like a good idea

What are you going to do about it?

Attached: 527470D2-8730-45DC-B43C-386A5F3BE310.gif (607x609, 821K)

Why the fuck does my audio randomly stutter?

I plan to install Linux on my desktop sometime soon so I get more used to working in a linux environment. I've already been using Mint on my laptop for about a year (but I don't use my laptop too often so I'm not super familiar with it yet). Is there any reason to not just use Mint on my desktop as well, or is there a different distro that would be better long term/for learning?

if you are getting work done, Mint/Ubuntu is perfect. You don't need to be intimidated to use Arch or some meme distro.

Attached: wdytwa.jpg (225x225, 8K)

It's over for him, (((they))) got him

Just use mint, grass is greener arguments are stupid anyway - just use mint or Ubuntu if you *really* get an itch for more modern packages.
Rolling is a meme .t arch user

You could see a speech therapist.

Ubuntu,
just use what you know - I'm "stuck" on arch because that's what I learned.

If you're comfortable, I don't see a need to change. Mint is perfectly fine. You're welcome to try other setups that are close, such as Kubuntu, which might give you a little more control while still being very user friendly.

Attached: 1522538466614.jpg (193x195, 5K)

But Ubuntu has both Mate and Cinnamon - the default mint DEs for lite n chonky, are you trying to convert a newfren? .t tiling masterace

I want to switch from Ubuntu to a lighter one like Xubuntu or Lubuntu. I know I can just install these from the terminal and access them from the startup, but in the interest of performance I want to completely delete everything from my current OS and totally replace it. Is there an easy way to do this involving just the terminal, or is booting from a Xubuntu/Lubuntu iso the best way to do that

Alright, I figured Mint would be fine. Thanks for the answers.

Are the non-LTS Ubuntu versions just a big meme or did I get unlucky?

For example, 19.04 wouldn't detect any wifis and I couldn't get RStudio installed even with lenghty troubleshooting. I gave up and installed 18.04 instead and everything just werks.

Just use tasksel and remember that linux doesn't have a registry and everything is just a file - clear out the apt cache if you think it will help, but I can promise you it won't.

Linux Mint's xfce and mate should not exist. The only thing the Mint project is doing that is considered valuable is Cinnamon. XFCE and Mate's dev team would benefit from them and more effort could be spent in improving cinnamon.

Linux Mint without cinnamon is literally green Mate/XFCE. It's boring.

*green Xubuntu and Ubuntu Mate.

Cinnamon sucks though?

More like /fgt/

Why doesn't gnome listen to my .xinitrc?
I just want to run xmodmap and xcape

Attached: shaggy.jpg (542x416, 16K)

Post the output of tail ~/.xinitrc

Cinnamon is what GNOME 3 should have been.

Its a few people astroturfing in hopes of advancing their careers. He reacted but its really not that big a point for him considering he deals with about 20 different controversies a day, death threats, and constant legal attacks (due to his position). Don't worry about it user, he will be fine.

Cinnamon literally copies the shitty "we had no idea how to do it better" desktop paradigm of 1990's Microsoft computing. There's absolutely nothing good about it.

Is there any ETA when the Navi10 firmware (people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/navi10/) is going to be hitting the upstream repository: git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/?

I assume before 5.3 gets a stable release?

if i wanted to, could i reinstall the OS by just booting up a disk image? that seems simpler to me if i just want to replace everything

Why use that one when this was created 3 min earlier?

Because he offers no apology for not knowing how to use catalog search box?

Right. The creator of the other thread doesn't know how to check if one already exists before starting a new one, and he offered no apology for creating a duplicate?

Hence why we should be using this thread and not the other one.

hey, y'all. I have a second VGA monitor connected to my laptop and I'm trying to make it display. But when I try to look for it in xrandr it doesn't recognize it, only my laptop's screen. what do?

Attached: pic-full-190914-1223-42.png (681x212, 123K)

Stallman got removed from Jow Forums in the end you pathetic loser. Garbage thread, you can't have the world friendly and a trashbag like Richard who defended one of Epstein customers.

>who defended one of Epstein customers.
I'm sure epstein has done business with a LOT of people who did nothing wrong.
Think for yourself user. Not everything is black and white.
Read the email yourself. Stop falling for SJW shit (or stop being an SJW yourself if you are one) just because you perhaps don't like the man on a personal level.

I'm not even worried in the slightest. When it comes to tech communities I think most people eventually figure out what's what and this will all blow over in time.

Stupid people who read clickbait headlines but don't read the source which confirms that the whole shit is fake news; you're one of them.

And just to be clear Stallman wasn't even saying the guy did anything wrong, right?
From what I can tell the ONLY thing he was saying was to not add the word "assault" to inflate the issue.

And if people are complaining that Stallman would defend a (possibly?) guilty man from not having even more unjust charges dropped on top of him then what the hell has this country come to?
And you should be ashamed of yourself for thinking it's ok just because he did one crime to throw on any other random crime we want to the pile and charge him for that.
Based Stallman will defend anyone when justice calls for it, even if that person may be a criminal. He's a hero.

Minsky is a pedophile you fucking retard.

ok so how do you get a colorized input in bash like you do when writing .sh files in vi ?

What's your point?
Wait, let me guess, you think that Stallman said otherwise right?

Here, let me spoonfeed you since you refuse to actually think for yourself or to read the email yourself. Here is a direct quote from Stallman's email:
>The reference reports the claim that Minsky had sex with one of Epstein's harem. Let's presume that was true (I see no reason to disbelieve it).

So what point are you trying to make?

I want to do a minimal Kubuntu install so the process begins with a minimal Ubuntu install and then adding the kde-plasma-desktop, but is it possible to gather the data from the ISO/USB drive? The minimal .iso only contains the bare minimum and the PC I'm installing it on isn't hooked up to a network ATM so is it possible to use a Kubuntu image to do a minimal Kubuntu/Ubuntu+kde-plasma-desktop install and get the required data from the image file itself?

Attached: 751px-Mascot_konqi-commu-journalist.png (751x899, 151K)

Is it better to thinker and experiment with various distros in a VM instead of distro hopping constantly?

Depends on what the purpose is and what you mean by better. Regardless of which I'd recommend using a VM just for the simplicity, you can do whatever you want, fiddle around with settings and try learning a new distro without borking your whole PC. If the purpose is to just play around and learn more about a new distro I see no negative aspects to running it in a VM.

>not terry
Cringe and nigger pilled

fish has this ootb

Pick 1 distro as your main OS immediately (if that's the reason you're hopping) and don't change it unless it's absolutely necessary. Test DEs/distros on a live USB if you feel like you need to.
Distro hopping is a waste of time.

Either way, just put /home on a separate partition, so if you do change your distro you can keep all your data.

.xinitrc and .xprofile are just the following
xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap &
xcape -e 'Control_L=Escape' &
[\code]

i want that little guy konqi to poop on me.

>uses obongo
terry is a nigger

new build arriving tomorrow, so im setting all the vms im going to be able to run now
anything you would change/add on this list?

Attached: file.png (452x178, 5K)

i really want that thing to poop on me.

you're making things complicated for no reason

Hans Reiser was a deliberate murderer. No one could be worse than that.

this comment is relevant to the thread

>do "sudo apt install xclip" inside terminal
>it works fine

>do "sudo apt install xclip" inside a .sh script
>it says it can't find the package

pls help

Attached: 1446298336839.jpg (813x790, 273K)

I do all my browsing in VMs, but why a separate one for banking and shopping? I just have one VM for shit like that where they know my real identity anyway. I snapshot it and then revert to that snapshot before doing anything to have a clean system each time I go to my bank's website etc.

also I put muh gaymes on a separate physical computer and hooked it to my main monitor's second input and a KVM switch. you may or may not find this feasible.

will the qemu command
qemu-system-x86_64 w10.iso -drive file=/dev/sdb
wipe everything on that drive? id like to be sure before i do anything
also, do i need to specify a partition or can i just mount the entire device?

tried GNOME again whatever version is atm on arch
tested a 60fps h264 video off of youtube
then played same video in i3 and the smoothness was dumbstruck
so if you wanna know why gnome sucks it's because it gets in your way and complicates stuff

no
also you will want to specify a ram amount (-m 512M), since the default is 128M, which is too small for windows 10 setup

your command simply attached /dev/sdb to the vm like a regular disk
in most cases you must specify the whole disk
note that you will need to be root to do this normally, also, make sure there are no mounted partitions on sdb before running the VM, mounting a volume twice (read/write) is a HUGE no-no, and WILL fuck it up

-- oh yea, you probably also want "--enable-kvm", otherwise qemu will run slow as shit (since without KVM it will actually emulate a cpu, which is very slow)

How do I mount .iso file read/write when mount -w wont work?

iso9660 filesystems are read-only

>no reason
I need the xubuntu VM so I can do snapshots of my working environment
also, it just fucking works
For the separate banking/shopping VMs, read below
My bank requires proprietary spyware to use their desktop site
the software is called Warsaw
so I isolate it in a different VM from my shopping

Attached: EEXbBN7WkAAfGLv.jpg (617x607, 20K)