/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - the True Next-Generation Free Operating System edition.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

A must-read: blagblagblag.org/anarchism/index.html

Previous thread:

Attached: nixos-hires.png (1346x392, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nixos.org/nixos/manual/index.html#sec-upgrading
github.com/matejc/nixui
nixos.org/channels/nixos-unstable
bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Any volunteers interested in software synthesizers? You can contribute to the biggest and most revered free software synth project zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net, it needs you:
github.com/zynaddsubfx/zyn-fusion-issues/issues?q=is:issue is:open label:"good first issue"

Attached: ZynAddSubFX Synth.png (1181x659, 153K)

My old 1100T is still serving me well, with 16 GB of RAM. I would like to have a 4K monitor--not for games, just with a video card that supports the resolution.
Which video card model am I looking for?

Good thread.

>NixOS

Based. Just installed it yesterday

cool, did it go smoothly?

Nix and Guix are the future.

Yes. dm-crypt+LVM for encryption dual booted with Windows on EFI laptop. Now need to get hi DPI elements like mouse working with i3,

why are there so many distros and so little programs that actually work?

no foobar 2000 alike

no photoshop alternative

no premiere pro/after effects alternative

Linux users are retarded and feel the need to be fragmented into hell. Anyone with half a brain cell sticks with the popular ones with big maintained repos.

>See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available
>$ man 7 undocumented
>No manual entry for undocumented in section 7

Attached: 1568375210518.png (491x404, 266K)

Stick to Windows. Linux works better for people in software engineering

deadbeef is literally identical to foobar
gimp works for whatever I need to do
there's plenty of FOSS / Linux movie editors, there's probably no alternative to $500 professional shit though

you shouldn't use these piece of shit noname distros unless you're a top tier autist with unlimited free time. Ubuntu (+flavors), Fedora, Debian etc are what normal people use.

you mean for poor people in software engineering
tried this, they are shit aimed for nerds.

Deadbeef is LITERALLY identical to foobar, I don't see how it's any more "aimed at nerds" than foobar itself. GIMP is easier to use than Photoshop. I think you're probably just very stupid.

Anybody tried or is actively using Bedrock Linux? I'm quite tempted to give it a try but would like to hear some feedback about it first.
My idea would be to hijack an Alpine Linux installation with musl instead of glibc and then use Arch/Ubuntu strata, the first running most application and the latter only for development environment

rx 570

What does poor or rich have anything to do about it lmao

I've been using Ubuntu for a couple of months and it's time for a change. Can someone recommend me a fairly easy to setup distro, that has bleeding edge packages?

complete bullshit.

welcome to the tech of the future my friend

just in time too
nixos stable 19.09 channel comes out this month

arch linux is easy and has bleeding edge packages

>nixos stable 19.09 channel comes out this month
really? great. Are they planning to add an installer?

I recommend not bleeding edge but still rolling release with latest packages, openSUSE Tumbleweed. Easy to use, automated snapshots are taken anytime you use the package manger so you can easily roll back if anything ever broke. Tested and stabilized before releases via openQA. If you're set on bleeding edge just be prepared for occasional breakage.

lol probably they will not being adding one in the near future and probably never considering installing it is just making partitions and typing nixos-install after writing a config file.
It's just more updated packages that are pretty much guaranteed to be stable. I use the unstable package mostly but I do mix in some stable packages for software that I can't afford to have break

is mixing them easy?

What's the point of NixOS? I mean, who should use it?

there is an easy messy way and an organised less easy way
basically you can add channels and have them named with nix-channel command
NixOS uses by default whatever channel you name nixos
I also have two other channels named stable and unstable

The easy way would be installing ackages with nix-env only
nix-env -Ai nixos.package for your main channel
and nix-env -Ai unstable.package for the unstable channel

The hard way would be to add this to your nixos config
nixpkgs.config = {
packageOverrides = pkgs: {
stable = import {};
};
};

and from then on any package you reference by just its name will come from the nixos channel and stable.package from the stable channel like so:
environment.systemPackages = with pkgs; [ firefox stable.libreoffice ];

you can find more details about channels here
>nixos.org/nixos/manual/index.html#sec-upgrading

it is the future of package management. It fixes issues with stability, has true ful system rollback that you can do from even grub, it fixes the issue of /etc/ files scattered all over the place and brings in elements of ease pf modifying packages just like gentoo but also can use binaries so you don't have to always compile. Moreover it is also portable as in you can copy over the config for one install and recreate on any machine and it will work in the exact same way.

Attached: nixgirl.png (1920x1080, 533K)

the only thing I need is a package manager GUI

ask and you shall receive my friend
>github.com/matejc/nixui

but really I have not tried this, i can't vouch for it. I'd personally recommend the cli if you plan to use nixos because I don't think it is ready to be a gui exclusive experience

not bad, but how raw is it?

also, how do you make nixos permanently unstable?

sudo nix-channel --add nixos.org/channels/nixos-unstable nixos
sudo nixos-rebuild switch --upgrade

and that's it.

in the gui side, very
especially that major aspects of how nix works are still being discussed. An example of this is a new flakes concept to replace channels or something (sponsored by targets, yes that's real not even joking)
You can't think frontend gui when the backend can still change

also you'd want to remove or comment out this line from configuration.nix
system.stateVersion = "19.03";

how unstable does it get? is it bleeding edge or just semi-stable rolling?

Anyone here good at sussing out what's wrong with xorg.confs?

I'm trying to set my computer up so that it runs two Nvidia graphics card in SLI. These two will then share a monitor. I want my integrated Intel card to run a second monitor.

Section "Device"
Identifier "Nvidia 0"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
# Option "monitor-DVI-D-0" "DVI"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Nvidia 1"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel"
BusID "PCI:0:0:0"
Driver "intel"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor 0"
ModelName "Acer GN246HL"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor 1"
ModelName "Acer GN246HL"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen0"
Device "Nvidia 0"
Monitor "Monitor 0"
Monitor "Monitor 1"
Option "SLI" "Auto"
EndSection
I've got the SLI portion set up and working, but only one of my screens turns on when I start lightdm. If I log in and run an xrandr script I can get the second screen powered on, but I can't do anything other than move my cursor onto it; the background is black and windows don't show up.

by the way
fuck arch

i'd say it's more semi-stable than bleeding edge
It's certainly very up to date but it's not as autistic as arch where the packages are literally updated on a cron job automatically with every new commit
nixos-unstable is not even the most up to date nixos channel, that would be nixpkgs-unstable which is literally the dev channel. You can find that channel and contribute to it btw on github on NixOS/nixpkgs. But using it very much not encouraged. nixos-unstable is only behind it a week or so

anyway if you want the version of certain packages ill tell you. I use unstable myself

100% bad-ass motherfuckers.

Why are there 2 threads?
And why was this one created a whole 3min after the other one?

Based Target sponsoring Research for nixos

Attached: 2019-09-14-18:42:18-724x125.png (724x125, 13K)

you see now that stallman is being outed a split in the timeline has happened
one where he is forgiven completely and the fsf is still the center of /fglt/
and one where he is done for and /fglt/ is struggling to find a new purpose aka this new distro

That has nothing to do with anything.
Jow Forums has a history of always using the 1st thread created for "generals". Even if it's a photo of a fucking gay nigger cock.
That's just how it works. That's how you keep things civilized instead of fighting like retards over a fucking OP image.

And I fucking love Nix, but as I said, that's irrelevant.
The other thread has 1st dibs and this one should die.

>sli
you dont need it
>intel 2nd monitor
Not worth the hassle
Un sli the cards and run one monitor on each nvidia

poor people with open source ideals that never do anything and have no skills, people who want money are on windows/macos/android/iOS

oh, that's nice

who the hell are they?

SLI is a pretty big difference in framerate, I kind of do want it.

The Intel second screen isn't vital, but I still like having it. For example to watch movies while I do CAD on the Nvidia screen without constant stuttering.

the Linux kernel alone costs 14.000.000.000+$ as of this year. Gnu tools cost ~10 billions.

what that translate into? the general population has no use for it. Microsoft Paint has helped more people than that garbage

What makes nixos so special?

>what that translate into
millions of free OS users.

I think any way is messy because nix's main CLI just sucks (seriously, who thought they don't need to look at dnf or paludis or git or eix or apk or any other clean thing before writing nix-env, nix-channel and so on?).

And the configuration files also are a big mess. I usually couldn't find out what to do how and where.

Not really happy with nix, went back to only using it like flatpak/snap on an otherwise saner Gentoo.

>what that translate into? the general population has no use for it.
Huh? They use it every day.

Be it on servers like Youtube or the self-checkout / public transit ticket machines here. Or on their Android phones, which for most people are the most used device they have.

If your single card cannot produce the required framerate you have bigger problems

You wont be able to mix gpu's

Just put one monitor on each gpu and be done with it, you dont need sli or this convluted setup that wont net you any performance gains for the hassle

Maybe more of a /hsg/ quesiton, but is it possible to change the default Name in ssh?
So if I'm logged in as user@Desktop and type in ssh Server i'm getting logged in as Normie@Server as long as i don't specify another username.

Attached: 1420486080248.gif (400x267, 152K)

my point still stands, it lacks software on desktop computer

>it lacks software on desktop computer
you named 3 (three) programs so far, at least two of which do have decent foss substitutes.

move to Diaspora

not good substitutes

Why do you use LVM?
What's the point of multiple partitions?
I'm thinking of encrypting my disk as well and I don't know if I should use LVM or just LUKS.

Attached: 1565673700164.jpg (454x584, 70K)

That's a different point from it not helping the general population.

Besides the general population by far now mostly uses Linux-based Android smartphones, not Windows machines. By both device and time share.

Not same user. I'd recommend LUKS, but I still tend to use LVM on top of that for flexibility and features.

if there are not good alternatives then the OS is dysfunctional.

Why is GNOME Web so underused? It's really good.

Both foobar and premiere alternatives are good software on par with its counterparts.

sorry but I have used those alternatives on linux and they're crap, let's not mention GIMP which is cancer aurism

Maybe for you every OS other than Linux is dysfunctional for you, yes?

It's not like anyone else has an equally good md/dm layer, or support for all these useful filesystems and so on. Can't even properly store data on the other OS, eh...

Although I'd not go so far as to generalize this. Again, most people mainly or only use Android, Plebs are fine with an OS like that, they don't need to do more. And the Adobetrash software users might have convinced themselves that Apple has the best platform to run their artist doodling software, and that they as artists matter somehow.

Yet Linux is the most important thing. If Linux didn't exist tomorrow, the world would "end". Stock markets down, internet down, freight logistics down, ATMs down, banks down, train traffic control down, smartphones down, etc. etc. Everything othre OS would have a lesser impact. And the importance of Linux is only growing.

what exactly did you use?

all of them, except lightworks which might be good since it comes from people who want money and have the drive to produce something good

also, you realize that Linux multimedia software is used in the biggest studios in Hollywood and by the largest cartoon companies, right? Pixar has been using Linux software since forever, so it became a tradition in that studio.

Attached: 2177277327_1aedf983fa_o.jpg (500x650, 335K)

Did you try out Cinelerra?
>all of them
What kind of actions do you want them to perform that they fail to do?

Okay, so I've now connected monitor 1 to DVI-D card 1 and monitor 2 to DVI-D card 2. While booting I get BIOS stuff on monitor 2 and everything after GRUB on monitor 1. Once logged in lspci spots both cards, but nvidia-settings only recognises the monitor on card 1.
I hope you're not about to tell me I need to buy a HDMI cable because of some nonsense like "in linux only the ports on card 1 work".

My dwm is fucked, spawning and killing windows takes up to half a second, moving selection around lags like a motherfucker. Have tried reversing my dotfiles to a couple days ago when it started, compiling dwm from source, rebooting, checked for dep updates. What the fuck do I do Jow Forums?

Attached: hesjustlikeme.png (1009x526, 135K)

Are you still using that busted up xorg.conf?

Get rid of it and let X auto-detect everything and just set the "LeftOf" for positioning

How can I use LeftOf if I get rid of everything?
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor 1"
LeftOf "Monitor 2"
EndSection
?

And I do need to keep both Device and Screen to get it to load SLI.

put this in your xorg.conf.d folder as 10-monitor.conf
Change your identifiers for whatever they are called on your self

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "DVI1"
Option "Primary" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "DVI2"
Option "LeftOf" "DVI1"
EndSection

The rest should be auto-detected by X.

>sli
you do not need sli

Should I install NixOS? Currently running jUbtunu

>you do not need sli
I do need SLI, because I would be completely retarded to sit around trying to rotate an assembly in 10FPS while I have a perfectly good GPU sitting idle at 1% streaming pirated video.
Imagine that I have a fur allergy, and therefore go to /an/ to ask for advice on how to groom a hypoallergenic poodle, only to get the advice "You don't need a poodle, just suffer through it instead".

Anyway, I think I need to specify devices for the monitors? The autodetection only picks up the monitor on the first card, and using just the section you wrote doesn't work. xrandr also only detects the ports on the first card now.

It is not 2004, what fucking cards are you using that you cant get your monitor cap out of on a single fucking card?

Enjoy your broken ass stuttering sli "performance". Fucking retard

Why are you being such a cunt to this guy. Either help him with his problem or shut the fuck up you niggerfaggot

HEY HEY GUY
I LIKE STICKING NAILS IN MY TIRES ITS MAKES THEM LOOK PRETTY AND MAKES A TING SOUND WHEN I DRIVE OVER THEM

Thats you, sli is broken and uneeded. if you "need" sli its for GAYMING and fuck off to windows for your shit, if you have to have GAYMING "performance"
Where do you thin PHYSX cards went? fucking got put on the fucking gpu's them selves and got rid of the latency with a seperate card.
You dont need sli for a god damn thing on linux nor will the blob fucking support it without being slow as fuck and introducing blob specific errors and regressions with sli

but why are you mad tho?

He couldn't get his SLI to work, so now he has a gaming computer with two GTX Titans, but only one of which is plugged in.

Jow Forums isnt a tech support board go to /wsg/

>nvidia now shit
>amd now good
Since we're living in opposite dimension right now, is the RX570 good on Linux? Is everything supported correctly, primarily hardware decoding and power management? Probably getting rid of my 1050 Ti since the drivers are a mess.

I've been using manjaro since spring. As time went by, month by month, each week something would break / stop working. First it was the terminal or the file manager then it would text editors, nitrogen, and the network adapter. Several times a week for several hours I'd have to scroll through pages of arc-wiki reading through dozens of bits of esoteric information until something would give me a clue as to how I should debug my problems, sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't and I'd just have to switch to an entirely different application. Anymore I've gotten to the point where removing then re-installing the package doesn't fix whatever the new issue of the week is. I'm left now not knowing what to do with a half-working desktop.

Attached: b3f12079524e5fd51c5aaa19d9cca6f6f2d4f187d09609775b796e28d9a02969.jpg (1920x1080, 743K)

I'm no hardware pro (or even semi-competent)
but I'm using an rx570 and I can confirm that it doesn't explode when I turn my pc on and it seems to work.
No idea how to tell if "hardware decoding" or "power management" are working as expected though.

I had issues with my amd setup at first though, but presumably that was an issue with the BIOS and amd CPU which is known, so I guess it's something anyone buying amd should be aware of
bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683
But upgrading to the latest BIOS version fixes it

they don't care about free/libre software, just i3 ricing and distro hopping. The GNU/linux community from 10 years ago died and was replaced with consumer minded zoomers.

htop says firefox is using 12.5TB of ram
Help

It's over, guys..

Well, find out why it does that. It's probably some add-on. IIRC firefox had some about: thing to diagnose memory usage?

stop using htop

>stallman
CANCELLED

immunize your installation
apt remove default-jre

How can I have my mouse be left handed and the digital tablet be right handed?
Something to do in libinput right?

I give up on NixOS
Arch and pacman jus werk

post screenshat