/gst/ - Good Simple Tech general - Greenlit for a second thread edition

/gst/ - Good Simple Tech general - Greenlit for a second thread edition
>Wtf is /gst/?
A general for appreciating the good, cheap, simple tech that just does one or a few things with no bloatâ„¢
>What's a example of /gst/?
Casio digital watches are a classic example of a piece of elegant technology that does what it does well, and nothing else.
>Why don't I just use my smartphone
Other than bloat and privacy concerns that are all the rage on Jow Forums, you've probably also noticed that 6"+ phones are a complete bastard to get in and out of your trouser pocket, unless you wear cargo shorts which you probably do.
>Isn't this just basically an edc thread?
No, the technology here doesn't necessarily need to be edc and you also don't need to own what you post. Posting about stuff you wish you could have bought before it was discontined is a-ok.
>But why a thread about cheap stuff?
Many generals have poorfag/simple tier recommendations, this is just a thread to pull those all together so we can discuss them all at the same time.

Basically if there is a cheap and functional piece of tech no matter what it is, old or new, we want to hear about it on /gst/

Will work on links if /gst/ lives for more than a week.

Previous thread:

Attached: KIMG2349[1].jpg (500x333, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hUhisi2FBuw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I know it would probably be too heavy, but I wish I could get headphones with cables as good as this.

Attached: 41TRXR1zOlL[1].jpg (500x500, 27K)

whats the cheapest place I can get a real f-91w (or similar)? i want the OG jap one, not the chinkshit knockoff.

Amazon, they have a few models there. I'd look around at the different ones they have because some have better water resistance and backlighting.

Got mine on Amazon for like 8 bucks during a sale.

the psp go is the best portable game console. admittedly i don't play it all that much anymore but it has hands down the largest game library out of any portable console, native support for the entire PSP and PS1 library plus emulation for almost everything older. and its got homebrew

the most important part is that it just works. you just drag and drop stuff onto it. you don't have to configure anything. you don't have to worry about it. i figured it would be obsoleted by some android game console by now but that actually didn't happen, and im both surprised and dissappointed, but it means that the psp go is still the best

Attached: pspgo.jpg (550x365, 52K)

Even OP is telling you to get the superior chadminator instead of tiny virgin bulb.

They sell headphones with swappable cables so they essentially do

Didn't know that, might look at that the next time my headphone die.

A lot of Sennheiser headphones have this feature. My HD 598s have this feature and have lasted me 6 years so far.

Gonna have to go with the older Fluke meters, picked mine up for 10$ CAD still accurate after 30+ years literally can't find a better meter for the price

Attached: F8020B_022.jpg (768x1024, 807K)

Sony MH1

Attached: black-01.jpg (640x480, 45K)

>Playing old games
Yikes!

Just want to point out the aluminium can. Imagine, 100 years from now people might be drinking out of one that was recycled from a can you're drinking right now!

Attached: generic-can-355ml-aluminum-lOQRv17-600[1].jpg (600x600, 63K)

[spoiler]Surely the few decimetres of cable needed to reach a desk wouldn't be that heavy?[/spoiler]

[strikethrough]tags removed in v3 update[/strikethrough]

Woah, you got my number user! Howling from the epic roasting

My favorite thing to drink out of. The coldness of the metal makes the drink feel colder, very comfy :3

The only thing that goes on my headphones is the cable. I only just got my first real pair though (mdr 7506) so ill see how long they last

I know right? I often put beer in the freezer for a few minutes just for that.

until the mountain is blue, isn't it my american compatriot.

British actually, still drink Coors Light now and then. It's Cold Activated! You literally cannot drink it until it has been activated!

What was the most based form of media, and why is it compact cassette?

Attached: Lucid-4-set-2814-Lost-Fragments-cassette-side-B[1].jpg (2654x2654, 2.62M)

you know it to be true

Attached: thinkpadx22042.jpg (600x400, 51K)

CD

Attached: cd-demo.jpg (599x576, 92K)

A laptop is a general purpose device which is a good thing but doesn't make it a "do one thing and do it well" device. It's still a good laptop though since it got all the fundamentals down though.

I'd like to nominate a lot of the gnu core utils. They serve a single purpose and never fail me at them. I also like software like mpd, mpv, tmux, vim (even if I'm an emacs user), git and many more of these kind of applications.

They are good simple laptops, yeah

Why not get one with a UMD drive? At least that way you can pick up physical copies of games that you run across.

those quads can't lie.

He clearly meant Thinkpads specifically.

False, it is the Minidisc

Attached: 22234443583_e4a9c9ee58_b.jpg (689x1024, 186K)

I was talking about Thinkpads too. I really like them and use them too. But while it strikes a good balance of hardware, good build quality and reparability (the older once at least) they're still general purpose devices. You use them for all kinds of computing instead of one kind. And you really need good general purpose devices, but that's not the topic of the thread. This thread is about things with one intended purpose which they do well at.

Yes because c64

That's a good point actually, we should have more posts about good simple software as well. Will remember that in the next thread.

They do look pretty cool actually, could also be re-written to a 1000 times apparently.

For all intensive purses the old thinkpads are GOOD SIMPLE TECH as it's basically the f91w of laptops and will be until like 2030 because they're good at one (1) thing
being a laptop

Let's not do that. Just keeping this thread as general as possible is the most fun. Don't narrow the scope too much if you don't want it to become stale. Also, why make this a general at all? There's just not enough to talk about for that. If you like talking about simple tech just make it a "weekend thread" or something.

Well there simple from a laptop perspective, I'll give you that. But I don't agree on laptops being simple. As a general purpose device it can be used for watching videos, listening to music, shitpost on mongolian basket weaving forums, shitpost on hugbox media, program, and much much more since they're general usage device. But it's okay if our views on the topic matter.

yeah and as far as general purpose machines go, the older thinkpads are good and simple
no meme tech to fuck up, no fragile body, just a good robust laptop

Well software is still technology.
>Also, why make this a general at all?
I made the last thread on a whim after enjoying my new watch and music player, and 2 or 3 anons said they liked the general and wanted it to live, it only takes a moment to post a new. So why not?
>There's just not enough to talk about for that. If you like talking about simple tech just make it a "weekend thread" or something.
Last thread reached its bump limit, some people just like discussing technology old or new that just does something well cheaply or elegantly.

>Well software is still technology.
I didn't mean to exclude it. Now that I reread your post it seems I interpreted it the wrong way.
>I made the last thread on a whim after enjoying my new watch and music player, and 2 or 3 anons said they liked the general and wanted it to live, it only takes a moment to post a new. So why not?
>Last thread reached its bump limit, some people just like discussing technology old or new that just does something well cheaply or elegantly.
Well I like discussing simple tech too. However I don't have enough to talk about or the intend to be active in a general. This is most probably true for the others as well. Also keep in mind that a lot of generals on this site become stale, circlejerks and shitpost central. The topic is fun, but there isn't enough to discuss for a general. If you avoid making the topic stale by making a general you can have way more fun threads if you post them occasionally.

It's worth having up for two reasons, firstly it's a bit of comfy variety among multiple threads with a topic about either how Intel are run by Jews, or how Apple users have been BTFO. Second reason is that people seem to ask questions on this general already.

I know it's not going to be a fast general, but can it really be anymore stale than Jow Forums as a board?

>some people just like discussing technology
absolutely degenerate, i personally hate technology.

Is there a way to charge shit over usb using a standard disposable battery?

getting the nokia 8810 lads. is it any good?

sorry I meant to type Nokia 8110 of course. seems like a decent simple phone if you ask me.

Yeah, you can buy adapters to do it cheaply.

I had several of these watches as a kid, they'd always stop working in like a month

not much point when cfw is literally a button press away. the go is a poor choice though, as it uses a proprietary card format (smaller than micro sd).
personally, i think the vita is a better choice as with 2 analogs its basically a portable ps1.

Attached: iu.jpg (1000x887, 86K)

Musta been fakes.

common misconception. it's "for all intents and purposes", not "for all intensive purposes"

No L2 and R2 though.. Aren't those more important for ps1 than having dual sticks?

you have options for remapping though (plus, its not as if the psp has them either).

you're not a TPB fan and that makes you trash

>"for all intensive purposes"
People actually think that's the saying? At least it's not as retarded as "it's a doggy dog world".

I think that's a snoop dogg lyric

i bought one a couple of months ago because i wanted a dumbish phone. i really like it.

they're about to release a new dumbish phone though and it looks pretty fucking cool, the nokia 2720 flip. i'd get this one if i didn't already have my 8110.

Problem with the UMD drive is slower loading speeds and makes the battery drain faster plus you can easily hack your PSP and download pretty much all the games+emulators so there's no need to fuck with UMD discs. I also removed my UMD drive and modded in a larger battery that gives me 10 hours instead of 2.

should of

I dunno, wouldn't having a flip phone now be a bit too hipster? Like everyone would presume you're showing off when you flick it open with your thumb..

That's pretty based.

you won't look much better with your sliding top in all honesty my brethren. do you really care so much about what others think?

Most PS1 games work great on the PSP. R1 and R2 are mapped onto the analog left and right which works pretty well.

Nah it's people mishearing "It's a dog eat dog world"

Hell yeah it is

Attached: 20190810_171602.jpg (677x508, 42K)

>do you really care so much about what others think?
Nah, but wearing a wristwatch or a pair of headphones from the 80s is only passively retro. Flipping open a phone is flamboyantly retro and therefore cringe. Btw I'm not that other user, I don't have a dumbphone.

did you miss the bit where I said intensive purses as an obvious joke
someone post the pasta that has all the common phrases people get wrong, its like
>for all intensive purpoises and this post is a diamond dozen but its a doggy dog world

>psp 1000
gross

proprietary bullshit

What physical media format isn't? Other than ancient formats like vinyl records.

i know, but i just checked and its the name of a song from his debut album

all the formatting and grammar in that post was shit so it blended in well.

the psp has got to be the least user serviceable device i've ever opened.
i hope to fuck nothing goes wrong with my vita, as its probably even worse.

It's actually really well invented.

CD, Cassette, DAT

youtube.com/watch?v=hUhisi2FBuw

Wrong, they are all proprietary. Go ahead and start manufacturing your own CDs without a licence and see what happens.

I'm talking about the audio

I really want one of these (Casio F-108WHC-4ACF) but I need to justify buying one first

Attached: 31069f30-acd6-49a7-b2ba-077067155b22_1.2ccba5f740c4181de16639438f53127c.jpg (450x450, 19K)

Oh, you're bitching about ATRAC? It's worth noting that Redbook is also proprietary and costs USD$100 to license the spec. I don't know if Sony licenses out ATRAC anymore, though versions of it are still in use today. It would probably be crazy expensive though, it's an excellent codec.

Its pretty comfy, its got whatsapp, 4g, basic browser and microsd slot for your music
Also yeah people will look at you, especially if you got the banana one

Attached: imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-CbIN4q0mOTAz.jpg (1154x2404, 375K)

I think that one just uses the same module as the F-91W, except it costs more. If you want a superior watch buy a Casio W800H, it has more features for a lower price.

modded my go to have a 64GB micro SD, the kit is like $25 and relatively simple.

interesting. i have my vita now but good to know.

Why buy a "dumb"phone if it still has all the downsides of a smartphone

I hate that we can't have nice feature phones in burgerland.

what do you mean?
i'm in canada and i just ordered my 8110 from the UK.

>Work with Only AT&T and Its Affiliate Carriers 3G+ service in USA. Will Not Work with T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon and all other network affiliate to these carriers.

american mobile companies are weird.

I like this goddamn thread concept, I'll you that.

Can you change the language to be able to text in Japanese? The weeb in me needs this but I can't find any documentation on nokia's website regarding languages on the phone.

The phone was made mostly for emerging markets, so I'm doubtful about that.

*kills /hpg/*

Attached: kph30ik_master_6.jpg (1500x1500, 131K)

Really are you getting 1000% more audio over that, with a headphone costing $2000? Don't get audiophiles at all.

Are you a zoomer? Cassette was a horrible format and I was spitting on its grave when this
beautiful format came out. I'm pretty sure everyone at the time felt the same

Damn the old sony ericsson logo
now THAT was a phone

Attached: .jpg (550x550, 32K)

>using technology to shit on technology in a goddamn imageboard

THE ABSOLUTE STATE

Can confirm about W800H. Have it for 5 years, no need to change battery (says it has enough juice for 10 years), built like a fucking tank and 10bar WR.

*SNAP*
Yep, that one is going in my butterfly collection

Attached: 5e5b23c0d707bfd8a1e41ec029b6d3cb[1].jpg (1014x396, 31K)

what do you even mean? talking about software as well as hardware with literally widen the scope and make it more general

VW Type 3:
>No coolant
>No power assist for steering or brakes (it's light so it doesn't need it)
>No faggy infotainment system to distract you
>No electrically moved seats or mirrors
>No power windows
>No air conditioning
>No computers
>Front and rear cargo areas
>Easy to fix

Attached: VW Type 3.jpg (800x532, 124K)