CCNA

Is it really worth it to buy used a r/s stack to practice for the CCNA? I was just planning on using virtual labs, also WHY THE FUCK DOES CISCO SUCK SO MUCH DICK AND ITS BASICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO USE PACKET TRACER BC THEY WONT RECOGNIZE MY USERNAME EVEN THOUGH ITS VALID

Also, any general tips for where I should focus my time would be appreciated. Doing icnd1/2

Attached: 79CABC83-601A-4955-9C2D-467B72FCFECC.png (819x716, 563K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Cisco-3550-48-SMI-WS-C3550-48-SMI-Catalyst-3550-SMI-For-CCNA-CCNP-CCIE-Lab/273605807439?hash=item3fb42d4d4f:g:JUYAAOSwcwhVP1hS
ebay.com/itm/Cisco-2600-Series-2621-Service-Router-with-ATM-T1-4T1-IMA-Module/264414699287?epid=65737496&hash=item3d90581f17:g:6pwAAOSwUAJdQLx-
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No. Get packet tracer working.

It works on my machine :^)

>doing icnd1/2
that's going to expire in feburary for the new CCNA user I hope you know that. I used to obsess over the CCNA and certifications but then I realized that the amount of time you spend studying isn't worth the payoff of a certification that you may or may not even get; despite the investment you put in. Imo I would say fuck the CCNA and beg some company to let you work there for free so you can get direct experience then fuck right off to an actual job. The CCNA looks great on a resume but it doesn't compare to actual job experience on a resume. You might not even pass in the time you spend studying where you could be doing practical shit.

I wrote all of that assuming you haven't got any job experience but if you've already got into the field then disregard what i'm saying

Attached: 1548036198949.png (730x1011, 141K)

>CCNA

I have a related question.
Is there a way to download their prepping materials and read offline?

I hate how they try to data mine me online.

Thanks for the advice. I’m doing the program and tests for free actually though, so I don’t have much to lose. Actually doing it for a job I actually have that isn’t anything like a sysadmin job or anything, but understand network protocols is kind of a must and it’ll be good if I can get the CCNA cert. also aware that I need to complete the whole thing by Feb, which is why I’ve been studying my ass off to get both done by then. I’m like 3 weeks in and feeling solid, but was gonna do about a month of labbing before taking the first test

good luck user I believe in you. I recommend checking bosom questions for the CCNA because apparently those are a godsend and will tell if you're actually prepared or not. They are supposed to be harder than the actual CCNA so if you do good on those then you should be fine.

I have the official cert guide for CCNA. If you want I can make a mega link for it

I appreciate it techanon

>I have the official cert guide for CCNA.
Do you have the guides for the programming languages too?
Then I would really appreciate it.

What does g think of CCIE? After how much years of experience is ok to go for it?

Read Lammles ICND1+2 and the CCENT exam cram book.
Try to get as much labing done as possible imo, so get packet tracer working asap. Don't buy real gear

get actual work experience and learn how to google
and just do a 'home proctored' exam to fancy up ur CV.
memd myself up to a comfy position with no barely any effort or studying

CCNA user here.

If you can't use packet tracer and you have a lot of RAM, use GNS3. It's open source router emulation software. It might be a bit of an obstacle at first but it can do all sorts of neat shit.

You really should buy some used equipment because you want to get a 'feel' of cable types, lights, connecting with console, via SSH/Telnet. Packet Tracer really eliminates all of that, just don't find yourself in an MDF shitting yourself because you never touched a router before. Confidence.

For home lab:
CBT Nuggets uses, 2x Cisco 3550 Switch, 2x Cisco 2621(xm) Router

And recommends: Cisco 871(w), Cisco 1721, 1750, 1751. Cisco 2611, 2621(xm).
Switches: 2950, 2611, 2621, 3550
-Console cable
-Ethernet cables
-Serial cables/ports

Cisco Net Academy materials are dry and will kill your interest. Try CBT Nuggets ICDN1/2 with based Jeremy Ciora or download Todd Lammie's book. CBT Nuggets is basically the best you're gonna get outside of an IRL teacher. Check out Danscourses too for subnetting/VLSM etc.

As user mentioned here, , CCNA is being restructured next year. The last part of ICDN2 is wide area networks, and there's definitely a shift to SD-WANs and Software defined networks. However, that shit is expensive, so a lot of companies probably can't afford it yet, and you still need to subnet and know EIGRP, OSPF, VLANs, 802.1Q etc.

That user is also correct about CCNA obsession. CCNA likes to indoctrinate you into their hivemind, please don't fall for it. Keep in the back of your mind what is cisco proprietary and what isn't, as above, shit is expensive and a lot of smaller companies don't use it.

As for CCNA on a resume, there's two camps to that -- employers will recognise it, probably tickles HR recruiters, but the downside is that exam answers, etc. are all online, and cheating Pajeets have watered what it 'means' to have a CCNA. It's a shame because it's intensive and definitely not the easiest thing to pass.

Best of luck, dude.

Attached: gi1ZPgUO_400x400.jpg (400x400, 27K)

>2x Cisco 3550 Switches, $75 USD ea
>x2 Cisco 2621 Routers, $100-$399 USD ea
>Cisco 871(w), $299 USD ea
I won't even continue doing this. Fuck off Cisco shill.

GET PACKET TRACER WORKING.

>learning Cishit, when SDN exists

Haha, the guy did say him mentioning those would drive up the prices. Also user you need to fish around

ebay.com/itm/Cisco-3550-48-SMI-WS-C3550-48-SMI-Catalyst-3550-SMI-For-CCNA-CCNP-CCIE-Lab/273605807439?hash=item3fb42d4d4f:g:JUYAAOSwcwhVP1hS
$37

ebay.com/itm/Cisco-2600-Series-2621-Service-Router-with-ATM-T1-4T1-IMA-Module/264414699287?epid=65737496&hash=item3d90581f17:g:6pwAAOSwUAJdQLx-
$42

Don't know about shipping, I'm in the UK.

Attached: 5d3e834119d61.png (1480x1134, 323K)

to add to that, yeah, OP should consider VMWare too

Cisco bought viptella you stupid yuropoor

Thanks for the advice. Not op, but I'm pursuing my CCNA after being in tech support for 3 years. I can definitely tell this is going to be leagues beyond my network+. Im not necessarily looking to go strictly I to networking, but the fundamentals it teaches are changing ways I look at computer networks unlike anything else I've been exposed to. Cbt nuggets and lammle are great.

no I didn't know they had books for programming cisco equipment I thought it was all documentation

thank you for your advice based CCNA user. I knew there were a lot of question banks online for it but I always assumed cisco would be continuously updating the test so pajeets can't cheat. I'm about to finish college and I only have my A+ so I hope i'm able to do at least some level of support and work my way up. It's a long road ahead

Just buy the CCNA R/S Command Guide for 16 bucks off Amazon then.

I will look into that too, I'm sure it'll come in handy. I definitely want to get the cert tho. It looks like a hell of a challenge.

If you know Network+ all you'll be doing is learning a bunch of Cisco proprietary horseshit and VPN/Network Security.

Sysadmin with a data center job here. Yes software defined networking is well established but the job spec REQUIRED CCNA minimum CCNP preferred. They're all like this even small companies want CCNA. Very few seem to awknowledge network+ even though being honest most of the stuff in the Cisco exam you will never configure or will do using a gui or say a subnet calculator.

That said if you want to work in networking in a NOC or ISP you'll need the CCNA and probably a lot more.

There has been some very good advice in this thread with the usual whiners knocking the people posting said good advice. My 2c is use packet tracer, cbt nuggets and danscourses. You can easily YouTube most of what the hardware looks like but pro tip routers are tiny nowasdays, only switches are rack size width because they physically have a lot of ports. Also fuck the cli. Linux guys get off on that but ffs guis are just plain better. Lot Cisco ones though there guis are painful to look at. Go check out the abomination that is the gui for the 5506x probably the most popular small biz Cisco firewall/router

───CBT.Nuggets.IT.Expert.Switching.VLAN.Design.and.Implementation-PRODEV
───Cisco
───CBT.Nuggets.Cisco.642-873.CCDP.ARCH.Design-iNKiSO
───CBT.Nuggets.Cisco.CCDA.200-310.DESIGN-PRODEV
───CBT.Nuggets.Cisco.CCDP.642-874.ARCH-PRODEV
───CBT.Nuggets.Cisco.CCNA.ICND2.200-105-PRODEV
───CBT.Nuggets.Cisco.CCNP.Routing.and.Switching.300-101.Route-PRODEV
───CCDP 300-320 ARCH
───CCNA 200-120 [Moflows]
───Packt.Cisco.CCNA.Packet.Tracer.Ultimate.Labs.CCNA.Exam.Preparation.Labs.Part.1-ANALYTiCS
───Packt.Cisco.CCNA.Packet.Tracer.Ultimate.Labs.CCNA.Exam.Preparation.Labs.Part.2-ANALYTiCS
───SKILLSHARE.CISCO.CCNP.SWITCH.LAB.MANUAL.ALL.WITH.GNS3-iLLiTERATE
───Lynda.Installing.and.Setting.up.GNS3-XQZT
Thoughts?

Just watch the cbt icnd1 and 2 vids and get packet tracer going. That ought to keep you going for awhile. Also the OSI model is a pain in the ass but knowing it will help in the exam and you will actually get what ports are all about.

What do you know already? IT? Programming? how it build a PC ? What level are you

>I have the official cert guide for CCNA. If you want I can make a mega link for it
Do it

>mfw I pirated this guy's CCNA video series

Attached: 1567393825960.jpg (381x381, 95K)

Nah it's widely available.

Only guides for certs that aren't available would be interesting, which are "free" but you have to learn online and hand them over all your data.

Shell scripting
Ansible
etc...
I know what OSI model is, how deep should my knowledge of it be? right now I'm DevOps

Idk, the network+ was, in my opinion, garbage. It didn't go into detail about anything. It taught you the basics and a tiny bit of theory, but CCNA goes way deeper into concepts than the network+ ever did.

*Crack*

Limewire, now that was real p2p!

Wait you're in Dev ops and you know OSI but you don't know networking??? CCNA should be pretty easy so. Most of the concepts and implementations are easy enough, if a little tiresome because the cli on packet tracer is primitive but that's it.

The exam questions are often deliberately confusing and I'd rather they let you type on an answer instead of multiple choice and submerging is prone to simpler math errors because the time required is barely enough. But yeah go for it. Ccna is usually peoples first qualification and honestly some of these people wouldn't even be CompTIA A+ level so they fail hard or just give up. You'll be grand

>continuously updating the test so pajeets can't cheat
Nope. It's really that bad. Undermines all the work you have to put in to be good at it too. However you can't really fake that in a job, as the line goes 'you're only cheating yourself' if you do that.

Thanks for backing up the advice posting, I do like a good Terry shitpost myself but I try to be friendly here.

I'm interested in knowing more about the Cisco GUI, I've had the cli drilled into me I did not even know cisco used GUIs

I agree except for "cheating" on the job. Real life is easier than the exam. I can Google command syntax and have access to a subnet calculator. I can know what I want to do without having to stress about how exactly it's done

And learning new things in the spot is realistic. I can't say to my employer or client sorry I'm not doing this job because I haven't learned or passed an exam on it. You must be constantly prepared to learn new things every day and middle through. There's a reason people say they program using Google and stack exchange

I agree with what you say, but there is a difference between mindlessly remembering multichoice questions for a one off exam the night before, and maintaining a long term job, knowing what to Google, how to understand the information and apply it to your production environment without everything going tits up.

Yeah the cli is horrible if you want to say view info on an interface. Everything is thrown on the screen with no formatting. Really poor but somehow they've gotten away with it. The Cisco GUI I'm used to using is built in Java. So you run this Java program and you despair at how everything looks like 2003 win xp with added menus. YouTube Cisco ASDM

I know basic networking IPv4 subnetting, frame analysis, VLANs, but no routing protocols like OSPF and BGP and no CLI

Also I have more IRL experience, I'm more productive than colleagues that have CCNA cert and that's what got me to a managers position although I have no certs.
But I decided that from now on I will work on getting so certs in case I decided to look for another company.

>Cisco ASDM
>Java
heats up your PC like a crypto miner too

>no CLI
You've never used a terminal ever? Like, ever. You've never opened your Command Prompt once? You've never used Linux or other CLI based OSs? Windows Server Core? If you really have never used a Command Line Interface then get ready to learn something very useful to the IT field.

Not OP but should I get a CCNA to get a job or just go into web development shit? I don't have a degree and need a job since I'm 28 with a fucked up back

no CLI as in no Cisco CLI or Junos CLI, fucks sake I though this subject was about CCNA and networking, off course I use Linux CLI on a daily basis

That's all it is. It's a Command Line Interface for their IOS. If you are comfortable using Linux Terminals you will be comfortable in the IOS CLI.

this is a personal thing but fuck cisco IOS and it's ugly mess. I wish there was a command to clear the screen like there is with every other CLI

>google Cisco login issues
>hundreds of people (some even Cisco employees) complaining about same issue I’m having for MONTHS

good fucking job, the worst login experience I’ve ever dealt with. The irony is astounding

Not him but I expected that paragraph to end really harshly but was strangely positive, we're all gonna make it bros ;-;

SD-Wan is just dynamic policy-routing.

>The CCNA looks great on a resume but it doesn't compare to actual job experience on a resume. You might not even pass in the time you spend studying where you could be doing practical shit

I get it but, in that case you could simply study for the CCNA and use the concepts you're learning about for practical shit. This way when you're interviewing, you can actually discuss networking concepts because you've done it.

Knowledge is knowledge, you don't need a piece of paper (though it can be nice) to validate what you've learned.

Attached: 1421713690828.jpg (800x984, 486K)

IT as a whole has gotten fucked up. Specs for even low tier jobs have, depending, gotten jacked to the point where if you don't got Exp + College degree your fucked.

Even if in the real word daily shit you do all you need is A+ and maybe Network+.

Network+ is a good broad range networking cert (least it was back when I got it). CCNA is really only useful if you want to be fucking around with setting up Cisco routers,etc via the command line. Personally I hate the command line but oh well.

One good thing about Ethernet. The Jack stays mostly the same but the speed sure don't. So long as you can crimp an RJ45 cable and it works right and don't exceed your run lengths congrats your mostly there. The other bits is hardware based and if some dumb ass plugged the cable into the wrong port you got a swell job of tracking it down.

>using a flash game over actual hardware

Thanks for the contribution user, i'm still in school and have yet to join the workforce so what i'm saying could be the complete opposite of reality. I keep getting the impression that even in order to get an interview you have to get credentials (ie: school, certs, experience, etc) so you might not even get the chance to prove that you can do the job. Even then people I know even have gotten jobs in fields they hardly know solely because they are able to sell themselves very well. I'm definitely not trying to shit on the CCNA because there's a lot of great knowledge that comes out of it on crucial networking concepts and not just cisco proprietary stuff(I did 4 semesters of it). My original post was mostly targeted at my situation but I can't really speak for anyone else. I just want a comfy job

Attached: 1523231264765.jpg (901x1280, 489K)

You don't have to sign in to the older versions. Our instructor sent out version 6.2 and I never sign in.

For what you learn in CCNA Packet Tracer is more than adequate. No need to spend hundreds of dollars on hardware when you can emulate it. I DO recommend trying to work on hardware, absolutely, but there is no real reason other than pretense to not use Packet Tracer.

Remember OP to use brain dumps after you thoroughly know your shit to pass. I spent 3 months studying then I did practice exams for another month before taking the test.

I got my CCENT last year and I was asked a large quantity of stupid fucking questions that are ungoogleable.

I can tell you I got hired where I work presently because of CCNA/CCNP course + hands-on labs , despite me having only
2 years of helpdesk experience and none of the certs , and I can tell you I actually apply what I learned there since I work for a known vendor as a support tech for firewall hardware/firmware.

I am not recommending this if you want a "comfy" job since this type of work keeps you on your toes and is in my opinion taking the hard-mode route into networking , since you are constantly diving into problems in different environments. This route over time does give you a very deep understanding beyond just the topics in CCNA going right down to how the software/hardware architecture works , especially if you pay attention and make it into the higher levels. Look for support positions in some of the vendors , some are open to hiring graduates as long as they can demonstrate that they understand , but just be willing to move and suffer for a few years before moving away from there.

>Wait you're in Dev ops and you know OSI but you don't know networking???
Dev Ops nowadays = coders who know how to spin up a VM in Azure but know nothing else about infrastructure.

What are your thoughts on ACI? Are many orgs out there switching to it? Seems like a completely new way of thinking.

thanks for the input user. I didn't realize that CCNA/CCNP courses (mostly CCNA) held merit as I thought it was either the cert or nothing. I still have a lot to learn but i'll take your advice thanks so much

Why do networking jobs require 200% more knowledge and 100% more effort for a $3 increase in pay

Yeah, you right. Should have gone to a trade school and learned to fix AC Units. Oh well.

>I keep getting the impression that even in order to get an interview you have to get credentials (ie: school, certs, experience, etc) so you might not even get the chance to prove that you can do the job

Yes it helps greatly, the more you have the easier it is to land the interview however..

>Even then people I know even have gotten jobs in fields they hardly know solely because they are able to sell themselves very well

Yes, if you cannot sell yourself well, you'll be losing out on something be it, lower salary, lower position, the job itself.

>I just want a comfy job

What constitutes a comfy job to you? It may be $50,000 a year in a low cost of living area, just keep in mind, after a while that will probably won't be enough anymore.

>i'm still in school and have yet to join the workforce

Please do yourself a huge favor and either get an internship or work at your university help-desk, this way when you graduate and you're competing with your classmates, you'll have your degree + experience. Also don't forget to just do shit in your free time (i.e. Projects), things relating to the job you want because you want to differentiate yourself and actually land a job.

Attached: 42655195_p0.jpg (707x1000, 397K)