Why don't desktop computers have built-in UPS?

Why don't desktop computers have built-in UPS?

Attached: 1568371102194.gif (300x200, 80K)

Because it costs money and is not absolutely necessary.

But why isn't it a common addon? You would think something like this is pretty obvious

No one is stopping you from buying one. You just want a button that says "PEOPLE SHOPPING FOR POWER SUPPLIES ALSO PURCHASE..."
Fuck off.

It is a common addon though. As an external box. It takes too much space to have room reserved for it in desktop cases.

Most people have actual grid stability and so don't need an extra device to stop their computers from shutting off randomly.
But maybe it's different for Amerimutts.

>country the size of your continent
>cope

Because desktops aren't all-in-one devices, so it doesn't make sense to power it all on its own like a laptop does. Obviously an external one in which you could plug in your monitor and modem is superior so why bloat the PSU with pointless garbage?

With how light and compact laptops are, you're telling me an emergency 10 minute UPS would be too much to add to a modern build? Why?

My country's electricity is stable user

It's not too much it's just pointless. It would make the PSU far less efficient and would either be a shitty UPS or would raise the price of the PSU by like $100.

Just buy an external one already. You're the only one to blame for losing your work.

BRRAAAAAAAAAP

>he doesnt use a mainframe
why are you on Jow Forums?

Why would they? Most people don't want one.

>It would make the PSU far less efficient
Why?

>would raise the price of the PSU by like $100.
Yes, it would be a premium option. Why isn't there one?

laptop batteries are light, compact, and inexpensive because they don't have to deliver a lot of power.

It is a common add-on, you fucking moron.

You do understand a UPS uses a battery, right?

So you want every manufacturer to put two batteries in your laptop? Add the extra hardware to support the extra battery.

You can't even into the effects of: increased cost, increased hardware footprint, or any metric of utility.

Back to /v/

In the form of another bulky block. Why isn't it an addon for the fucking 2.5" tray that's empty in most PC builds

A laptop's battery is effectively a UPS as well. If you lose power you can keep going. In the case of laptops for hours. I'm only asking for like 10 minutes of emergency UPS

Dude, take a high school physics class. Take a business 101 class. It's like you have no understanding of the natural world, or the economic world. If you're over the age of 14, I'd be shocked.

Likely incompatibility with hardware

Sally has an Athlon X4 and HD4670. Her UPS works for 1 hour during a blackout.

Nathan has Skylake i7 and Fermi GTX 480. His UPS does not work, at all.

Get it?

THESE ARE THE WRONG ELECTRONS, DENIED. You're as dumb as OP

This. I can't remember having a power outage in years. A UPS would be a completely useless expense for me.

The battery alone is way bigger than that 5.25" tray.

you could power a fifty-watt laptop with a battery that fits in a 2.5" bay. They made those when laptops had optical drives, actually, you could usually take those out and replace them with a 2.5" HDD adapter, or an extra battery.

Desktop UPSes universally use lead-acid batteries, which is why they're big and weigh like 30 pounds. The current capacity is the main reason, lead-acid will put up with treatment that lithium batteries won't. You can suck 300 watts from two lead-acid batteries that are roughly the size of bricks (and twice the weight) and they won't blow up, even though that'll drain them in ten minutes. If you tried to draw 300 watts from a lithium battery that fit in a drive bay, the thing would catch fire.

>ups

Snake oil

Based Yuropoor poster

>Chemical Energy Storage Method
>Volatile, heat generating, and sensitive to heat. Can cause real, physical harm if overheated
>Let's stick it in the same physical case as a bunch of silicone parts that heat up to 90c!

You know all those laptops that have been having back-to-back battery failures? Imagine that on a much physically larger scale.

UPSs are external for good reasons.
And DESU, it actually makes a bit of sense to make power supplies themselves, external, and plug into a power-delivery module in a case, that can breakout the input rails into all the various connectors. The input connector could carry the 12v, 5, and 3.3v inputs, with separate grounds.

the fuck? it's the wattage dumbass

>dude
>what if we could like
>have a bus that seats 50 people
>but it's the size of the car, so it doesn't need so much space
>duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

forget high school physics, you clearly haven't even mastered the concepts a 5 year old has.

>This fits on a 2.5" tray
Ayy lmao

Attached: Screenshot_2019-09-14-15-12-40-217_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg (1080x849, 137K)

Why don’t routers have built-in ISP?

>he doesn't know enterprise uses ups,everyone whom is smart uses ips

Not feasible. Your standard 10,000 mAh phone battery bank only has ~40 Whr and can only safely supply a current of 1-2 AMPs (4-8 watts). PCs continuouly use anywhere from 100-200 watts during use after factoring in power used by the MB chipset/storage/fans. That's assimg you provided direct DC power to the 12V rail.

Even a 15V 2C (ie ~35W max discharge) 95Whr laptop battery would not be anywhere near enough. The closest thing would be pic related except it weighs like 10KG and because it's lead-acid type only has a real capacity of around 100Whr and even then you could only safely crank out ~60 watts for extended periods of time.

This only a UPS with 4-8 of these batteries in series are actually able to provide that ~100-200W range of power for extended durations. Shits fugged man, super capacitors might change that some day soon™ tho.

Attached: 140-373_HR_0.jpg (1800x1800, 372K)

Dude, what?
You realize there are power regulators between the power source and the components right? And you do realize these are standardized right? And you do realize adjusting the voltage of a signal is fucking trivial, right?

Because batteries don't last forever and desktop aren't designed specifically to be opened.

Also ups's are generally big, bulky and heavy.

UPSs are so big because desktops routinely draw 100s of Watts of power. Also, lead-acid batteries have a weird quirk where if you draw a large sum of power from them, it will actually cause the battery to discharge faster than if you drew half of that sum of power, twice. It's why my setup has two UPSs: one for my modem, router, monitors, and another for just the computer itself. Before on only one my setup would last 8 minutes, now, everything lasts over an hour.

Voltage != wattage you retarded fuck. You have both 5V and 12V in most desktops, but if your cpu and gpu draw fucktons of current, power usage increases even if voltage stays steady. A ups that might run a low end computer for 15 minutes might not run a higher end one for even a few seconds

>Why don't thumbtacks have built in butter knives?

It's just not required.
I live in Australia where I have on average a few outages and brownouts per year and I have never lost any data.
Good power supplies can filter out crap, and good file systems mean you don't corrupt them.

UPS more like OOPS lmao

Correct, P != V, in fact P = I*V.

>you're telling me an emergency 10 minute UPS would be too much to add to a modern build? Why?
Laptops are generally designed around being power efficient. Since they don't suck up a lot of power it's easy to run them from a battery, plus the laptop itself is a single device which has everything it needs to function built in. What purpose would a built-in UPS server on a desktop, if the monitor shuts down and you cannot safely close everything you've got going anyway, because you can't see shit in order to actually operate the computer? As I've said, the power consumption is an issue too. A laptop can draw well under 100W, a desktop can draw 500W, or 1kW or even more. That's a much greater challenge to run off of a battery.

Such a device would only really make sense if it were integrated in the PSU, which means that it would have to be able to handle the PSU's rated output, so a 1kW PSU will need a 1kW battery backup unit. This would not only increase the cost by a large amount, but it would also be much bigger and much heavier. There are too many drawbacks for this idea to be useful, an external unit makes much more sense.

It would perhaps be nice if somebody made some UPS and PSU which can be connected via some special connector carrying DC only. The UPS should have standard AC output for peripherals, but it would be nice if it could provide DC from the battery to a compatible PC PSU. Converting from DC (battery) to high voltage AC and then to low-voltage DC again is inefficient and wasteful of battery charge.

>12.5 FPS GIF
WEAK

Attached: output.webm (300x200, 229K)

How do you think C ratings work? 95Whr at 2C = 35W discharge??? Not even close lol.

>tweening and jank
That just looks disgusting, user

ACE OF SPADES SERVER FUCKING WHEN

This thing called a laptop exists and has it built in, not to mention we don't live in india where rolling blackouts are normal. Who on earth would want a big ass battery they use maybe once a year at best?

Does that mean that you can safely discharge a laptop battery at 6 amps (95W) continuously for an hour?

Because if so then why don't phones have 6W goldmont 4-core 2GHz celerons inside? It would significantly boost performance on phones.

Why don't OPs have built-in brain cells?

someone make a game

god i wish i was that glove

Batteries are fucking heavy and so are UPS.

If a PSU had a ups built into it, it would triple the shipping costs of every PSU. It would add $30-40 to the cost of the PSU. Dell ships say 200,000 PCs, those PCs are now $8,000,000 more expensive to build because of something most people don't want. That $8mil has to come from the customer. Customer will choose another PC if it's $30 less. This isn't even counting the shipping increases.

Now, you should realize why you're stupid.

Seconding, but which version, OpenSpades or OG Ace of Spades?

Have you seen how big a UPS and its battery are to power desktop or servers for ten minutes? Did you only recently find out what a UPS is so you think you’re showing off smart you are?