SSD disk drives suck

󠘁 ▶
These things have an atrocious failure rate. I bought a brand new name brand Kingston SSD diskette drive and it had 94 bad blocks before it was even used. SMART test showed this and verified 0 hours power on time.
They're no different than USB thumb zips except they use deceptively large cases and have SATA IDE plug n play interface, yet with no ability to mount it in a desktop PC.
Worst of all you have to ground yourself when you handle them. Certainly not worth $80 CAD for a lousy 120 GB meme-drive.

Attached: kaingston.jpg (2400x1500, 355K)

Since we're both being anecdotal, I have a 40 bucks 120 GB drive and after 3 years it still works absolutely fine.

that thing has no dram retard. Maybe fucking research shit before you buy it? Also I'm canadian and that thing is NOT 80$. You can get a curcial mx500 for that price

Works fine in my machine, lol

>buy cheapest chink shit built on lowest tier NAND
>angry when it fails
Just buy a MX500 or a Samsung or anything with 5+ years of manufacturer warranty.

Because you never use it. And you never use it because it's slow and buggy.

>SSD diskette drive
>USB thumb zips
lol I wonder how many retards are going to answer honestly to this bait

>that thing is NOT 80$
I don't buy them 2nd hand from kijiji.

>you will never buy a 1tb slc. Ssd.

le epic troll!!!
gay faggit plastic bad!!
CHAD spinning METAL good!!!!
nice boomerpostin'! tho ;-D!!

Kingston ssds perform like crap and fail too easily. If you actually did research you would have seen this. Spend 20 bucks more for a crucial or samsung and you're good for 5+ years

>$80 CAD
>CAD

nice touch

Damn, sorry op looks like you've got a faulty one. My kingston werks just fine

Attached: eee.jpg (990x605, 80K)

> 94 bad blocks before I even turned it on
That's called binning. Literally everyone does it.

If you buy an i3 from Intel, it's actually an i7 with a bunch of defective cores. Same goes for AMD, nVidia, and literally everyone else.

With SSDs, you can have tons of defects, and they can still sell the chips at a reasonable price because of the sheer amount of redundancy built into their design.

Literally no big deal.

>$80CAD

really? 120GB SSD's have been going for $40 CAD at retail stores for years now. Do you live in the arctic or something?

Also, I have two of these and no issues....

>USB thumb zips

Attached: hnbjhb.jpg (720x717, 58K)

Fuck, I got a couple at microcenter for $19 each and they’ve been troopers. Not the fastest but I don’t need them to be.

Yes, just as USB-Sticks, MMC or just flash memory in General. Of course it was the same with DVDs,cdrom,floppy disks.

Depending on the model hard-disks can also be very frail and need to be replaced often.

That said, I've got some HDDs in use that are already over a decade old still working perfectly fine.

>no firmware update available
lol, sucker

Wear indicator 91% ... won't be long

That 120gb A400 was $23 about 4 months ago, in Canada. I bought 3 of them and they work fine, but for it's for other people and not myself.

Hopefully nobody on Jow Forums would use a ssd without dram.

>I bought a brand new name brand Kingston SSD diskette drive and it had 94 bad blocks before it was even used. SMART test showed this and verified 0 hours power on time.
Warranty and RMA exist for a reason. Even the cheapest SSDs come with three year warranties which is longer than the cheapest HDDs you'll find.
This makes zero sense if they actually have higher failure rates than HDDs, as they would have to warranty replace MORE items if they actually had a higher failure rate with a longer warranty.
>yet with no ability to mount it in a desktop PC.
I have no idea what you're talking about here.
>Worst of all you have to ground yourself when you handle them.
No, you don't. They don't need to be handled in any particular way that HDDs don't.

And you can get twice the capacity for half the price you listed, so there's not a single thing right in what you posted.

How did you get here from Amazon?

lmao that looks like shit

Attached: file.png (959x695, 244K)

in my pc since around 5 years.

Attached: file.png (541x243, 133K)

>0 RPM
Your FLACs are secure

>but for it's for

>100% Fail Count
>SSD
Seems about what I would expect.

iktfb

Attached: file.png (664x293, 206K)

Imagine paying 40 canuckistani pesos for a 128gb SSD in the current year

A good HDD isn't even that slow desu and the kernel's block cache nullifies most of the performance penalty.

True

Hello friends, I am a thirdworlder and in a serious need for an m2 SSD. Sadly, my only options are either WD Green or Kingstom (A400 i suppose), both are 480GB. Do they start being relatively reliable at that GB range?

And I actually need them because 2TB HDDs for laptops DO NOT EXIST here and I cannot upgrade my current 1TB one, and I need something to tank my OS, that horrible VS Enterprise installed in Windows, few games and my root Manjaro partition

*cracks open budlight*
Sips yeah that's right, tape drives now there is a technology!

I never use SSD because I'm not doing high performance shit and never require it. I love how PS5 is touting their SSD as being the next big generational shift in gaming media. Games run over 50GB now each, at least most AAA games, and right now a 1TB SSD is well over $100. You can get a 4TB HDD for cheaper than that. If anything you should use them in tandem. Another 5 years of 1TB storage? fuck that man. By 2025 we're gonna have games well over 250GB

I have a shitty ADATA SU650 which is such garbage ADATA doesn't advertise the controller or NAND for it because they use whatever is cheapest at the time, and it's not just working fine after 2 years, but it's a fucking gigantic upgrade over my HDD. It doesn't even have DRAM.

Leaf here got 2 Kingston 480GB SSDs for 90CAD each on sale. OP comforted for retard.

SSDs do not become more or less reliable based on capacities.
Ignore any poster obsessing over SSD failure rates, because they universally have no data. Judge every product on people who've actually used them. Failure-prone SSDs tend to attract attention, like a few Patriot SATA ones did a couple years ago. If lots of people review bomb a product in reviews, chances are it's fishy.
Maybe cut out the Chinese brands at most.

>not shilling for punchcards

So get it replaced under warranty. Let’s not act like DOA isn’t a thing for any sort of storage

Higher capacity SSDs have higher workload ratings. Go to any SSD manufacturer’s site, choose a SSD, then compare workload ratings at the different sizes

>Higher capacity SSDs have higher workload ratings.
Are you comparing IOPS? DRAM allocation? DWPD? SLC cache?
Because none of those things affect reliability. The MTBF is going to be identical across all capacities.

>I bought a garbage SSD and it was garbage so ALL SSDs must be bad
"No." Stop being poor.

I bought a 120gb pny drive in 2016 and have used it constantly since then, no failures in sight.

wait... did I just get baited?

Attached: 80f.png (360x361, 25K)

>obvious troll post

Attached: CFE190A6-F698-4C0F-9CF9-CFEC671DBB48.jpg (1440x1440, 87K)

Yeah, and how much did you have to leave unallocated? 60GB?

unironically works on my machine. just back really important stuff up on other disks and enjoy the speed

120 gb intel ssd, old as fuck, 520 series iirc

run it as OS drive

literally full as fuck, no fucks given, not deleting shit

runs like a champ

i do have some questionable ssd's but the intel continues to work.

250 SSD two plus years running. Zero issues and works perfectly. What is the failure rate and where have you procured the data?

Workload is typically in TBW. You don’t understand one of the most important concept in SSDs (especially when justifying the cost of an enterprise SSD) so you just threw out a bunch of terms you’ve learned on Jow Forums that no one else would correlate with workload. Please get some real world experience

PEBCAK

I have a 7 year old SSD that served as the OS drive in my main rig essentially from when it was new until I replaced it with a bigger SSD. The old SSD is now in my laptop as its OS drive, and it still functions just fine. The replacement SSD was a $35 USD PNY cheapo drive I got from bestbuy and it has yet to cause any problems.

Now crawl back into whatever hole you crawled out of trollshitter and stay there.

>Workload is typically in TBW
LOL! Are you insane? The workload is typically done in DWPD mode.

based

Take your shit bait elsewhere.
Saged and hidden.

>bought 2 used samdung drives so far
>both werk perfectly
840 and 850 pro
thanks based secondhand market

>average SATA drive: 7200 RPM
>a decade old SCSI drive: 10000 RPM
>a fucking tape drive meant for archiving: 2000 RPM
>newest, top of the line M.2 SSD: 0 RPM
>LITERALLY ZERO FUCKING RPM
SSDs are a god damn joke

I have had countless of failing hard drives, but no failing SSD's yet.