/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming build skeletons and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to non-technically assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric games or ray tracing: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1484348845011.png (1336x1336, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5dTzf6dpCpo
old.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/d43hdi/about_3950x_release/f07m8ha/?context=3
es.pcpartpicker.com/list/tgx6cY
youtube.com/watch?v=MyFTQFtju4Y
pcpartpicker.com/list/CyVsHh
youtube.com/watch?v=AFv7rRYcEf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/4MXgTB
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Thinking about upgrading from 4690k/970. Been thinking about all 3 ryzens, currently most likely 3700X, and a 2070 or 5700xt, both of those have the same price here though.
I want to game at 1080/144 and don't even mind lowering graphics if need be.
Not sure I want to spend too much on the mobo though and I've read that 450s supported pcie 4 for a bit but they went back on that. Could someone explain this situation? I could just use an old bios right? Is there any downside to that?

Reminder that there is no need to ever waste money on meme thermal pastes again while GD900 exists

youtube.com/watch?v=5dTzf6dpCpo

Attached: 1568422649870.jpg (480x480, 51K)

Do I want a fully modular PSU?
How do I pick a soundcard?
What does CAS/RAM timing mean?

You do not need a soundcard

>We will announce a date....it won't just appear for sale one day without notice.
old.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/d43hdi/about_3950x_release/f07m8ha/?context=3

official amd announcement that the 3950x will have an announced release date and won't just go up for sale like epyc

Well, shit.
I really want to finally have a PC.
Should I just buy 1600 for the time being?
Is it even compatible with X570 boards?

Would like to clarify I meant 1080p@144hz.
I've also thought about buying used parts, but I can't help but just be anxious about doing that. Likely no 5700xts being sold out there either.

Any tips before i regret purchase?
Im gonna buy an a320+3600 kit that comes bios updated around 300usd.

My previous option was a 1600+b450 for 290usd. I am from Brazil so importing would even more expensive.

>I am actually in hell bros, i didnt spend 2000 syrup dollars on a pc to be finicky.
welcome to the amd gpu experience

I would suggest you list more than one source on it.
As one source on thermal pastes is relatively unreliable.
Not saying your statement is wrong, just I don't feel comfortable basing it on one person.

es.pcpartpicker.com/list/tgx6cY
I'm not sure about the 3900X specially for the TDP, and 32GB RAM may be overkill but I use a lot of virtualization (dockers) and I'll be studying a big data masters degree soon. So I usually do a 50/50 dev and gaming use.
Also I'm looking for two 1440p 144hz monitors.

i appreciate what ur doing B&W man but surely you have better things to do with your time

Imagine you have a decent desktop at your home. Now imagine that you move out but cannot bring it with you. Imagine having 500€/$ to buy yourself a "budget" "gaming" laptop to play some vidya.

What are you hypothetically buying?

Attached: 1540757247093.jpg (428x424, 16K)

>i appreciate what ur doing B&W man
What am I doing, giving you basic advise?
>but surely you have better things to do with your time
eh, posting here is a nice in-between other activities kind of thing.

Why can't you bring it with you?
At the very least you could take the GPU, CPU, Motherboard, RAM, SSDs/hardrvies with you.
They are small expensive components that are easy enough to carry around.
Once at your new place simply build a new pc using most of your old components.

Sell your desktop and keep the 500 euros you have for a decent laptop

To anyone that's gotten 5700/5700xt, hows day-to-day use on that? Is it still BSODing on random web videos? Anything else odd or buggy with it?

Attached: 1384074368544.jpg (561x464, 192K)

The desktop is connected to a very expensive sim rig that others use. I will consider moving everything in the future. But I need something to play on for now.

>that others use.
>can't move his own pc because others use it
cucked?
I am sure chad will let you play on your own pc when he is done having fun with it.

Its not his

What games you play mostly? Top 5
You might find something for 500$ that is decent

Well i'd say you are prompting people to seek more objective information than the shillington that is /pcb/.

>Rainbow Six Siege
>CS GO
>Factorio
>Mount & Blade: Warband
>iRacing on the sim rig that I cannot move becouse it's fucking huge

I do not need to play the latest AAA at 4K, just something good enough for 1080p in the latest 2D indies.

A little closer to heaven.

Is it worth upgrading an R7 1700 RX 580 system if I want to get a 1440p monitor from my 1080p current? Was thinking of just getting a B450 motherboard with R5 3600 and RX 5700

I think a a320 does not support overclocking also ram up to 2400. Dunno tho

Anything with a GPU similar to a Vega 3 is fine then

Is pcie 4 a meme?

yes, by the time it's useful pci5 will be out

youtube.com/watch?v=MyFTQFtju4Y

blower coolers are fine you autists
"muh temps"
the fan curve is set at 40%, increase it to 60 and you'll get great temps and it will be still be quiet

Is a used 1080 for 306 euro a good price?

If you have for example a gigabyte motherboard should you pair it with a gigabyte GPU, or do all the companies have compatible shit?

RX 5700 or 5700 XT for 1440p 144Hz gaming?

Attached: but muh blower coolers are good.jpg (1449x773, 165K)

Everything except the case needs to be the same brand if you want peak performance.

this is not true at all

Best mobo for 3rd gen ryzen that is not niggabyte shit?

Attached: 1547251150114.png (837x694, 220K)

How difficult would it be to set up a solar-powered pc?

t. Someone that never experienced a Gygabyte CPU/GPU/PSU combo.

Attached: but muh blower coolers are good2.jpg (1232x719, 259K)

t. Someone who has absolutely no evidence to support his bullshit

the RX5700 has a good cooler design, but hey keep pushing outdated tech. next tell me how much worse AMD is comparing Phenom 2's

What are the acceptable temperatures for the ryzen 3600 when idle and at full power?
I get 53°C when idle and 76°C when gaming, but I get 84°C when doing a 1024m prime test with all the 12 threads.
Are these temps OK?
Using stock cooler with third party high grade thermal paste (because I'm a retard and fucked it up when fitting the cooler the first time. Fucking stupid cooler).

Anyone know where to find chenbro cube server cases from the early 2000s? I want to case mod it into looking similar to SGI cubes from the late 80s early90s for jurassic park larping

Attached: 1565478446100.png (741x692, 1.1M)

dont care about oc i cant afford good airflow, asrock says it accepts up to 3200.
but ove seen some charts 2400 and 3200 range fron 3-5fps diference. Ram really shines if using apu/shitty cpus

>the RX5700 has a good cooler design
the cooler design is same as it on vega.
The only difference is that the 5700 is a lower TDP than vega and thus produces less heat and thus manages to not thermally throttle because of the GPU hitting the temp limit.

>next tell me how much worse AMD is comparing Phenom 2's
We aren't comparing AMDs cpus, we are comparing blower style coolers.
And I am sorry if amd picked a penny pinching cooler for their reference design but it doesn't make it good. It's objectively bad and outside of niche cases blowers are inferior.

3600 for gaming, 3700X for video editing
The choice between Navi and a Super pretty much comes down to whether or not you care about ray tracing

>Do I want a fully modular PSU?
Semi

>How do I pick a soundcard?
Use onboard sound unless you know you need something else

>What does CAS/RAM timing mean?
All you need to know is that right now 3200MHz CL16 is the sweet spot. If you want to know more, search the internet

Tough decision, that A320 board is basically crap, depends on what features the manufacturer decided to enable though. If your graphics card is weaker than a GTX 1660 you might want the B450 + 1600 just for the better board

R6:S would play well with a 1660, not sure how much a laptop with an equivalent chip would cost

A 580 is pretty weak for 1440p. I'd start by just upgrading the graphics card

No, but depends on prices of equivalent cards. A 2060 is almost identical perf

Why buy a XX00X when you can just buy a XX00 and overclock it

The XX00X has more CUs

I´m looking to buy a new monitor ( current one, 1080p/144hz, 24") max budget is around 1k usd
Hoping to up the resolution and maintan refresh rate, gonna be used for gaming only.
Got a 1070 as gpu, looking to upgrade the next year.

Attached: mfw.png (498x406, 343K)

Someone?

how do i set fan curves anyways

is that new zen2 bios that dropped on the 10th gonna make its way to b450s any time soon or are they just gonna be for x570s?

Should I download chipset drivers from the amd website or the board manufacturer? Are they the same?

>Gigabyte CPU

>I don't understand how your systems could work for a while and then quit

I don't understand either.
I built it and it worked right away on the first try. Next day I installed all the drivers and adjusted fan curves etc.
2nd day I installed some MSI software and other programs for work. Because the MSI software didn't do anything, I rebooted the PC.

On that reboot, it stopped posting.

Then I went through multiple afternoons of troubleshooting and now I am waiting for exchanging parts.

It's absolutely beyond me wtf has happened.

>Because the MSI software didn't do anything, I rebooted the PC.
Unless you've posted about this before, a few other anons have had the same problem

>3200 CL16
Is that better than 3600 CL17 or CL18?

Latency = CL / MHz
Bandwidth = Straight up MHz

Similar to 3600 CL18

>mfw I just did a bios update on my MSI mb

Attached: 1553158230124.webm (534x480, 2.62M)

is the i5-9400f still a decent chip if I intend to game at 1080p144HZ? The 9400f is $140 as is the R5-2600. The 3600 is $200 and for the extra $60, I can get a motherboard. The extra threads won't be of use to me because I only game.

>he extra threads won't be of use to me because I only game.
Not necessarily true. For instance if you're playing BFV the 2600 is better than the 9400F, because a lot of users report stutters on the 9400F. CPU choice is all about graphics card pairing

>some MSI software
dun goofed
You only need a temp monitor, anything past that is superfluous bloat.

Also, if windows detects a problem, it will spend an eon reverting fresh installations or rebuilding ntfs databases. But I forget if it'll show it's doing that stuff. But you said it stopped posting so that software must've modified something in the bios.
I hope you didn't let Windows turn on secure/fast boot.

Bios updates are necessary, especially if you're on Ryzen 3X00 since they're still stabilizing it.

I intend to pair the CPU with an RX590 8GB. This is a budget build for medium to high 144HZ gaming at 1080p

So I was thinking about changing my laptops ram and the official specifications state this :
Two customer accessible/upgradable memory module slots
Support for DDR3L channel (1600 MHz)
Support for up to 16834 MB of the system
RAM in the following configurations:
● 16834 MB (8192 MB × 2)
● 12288 MB (8192 MB + 4096 MB)
● 8192 MB (8192 MB × 1, 4096 MB × 2)
● 6144 MB (4096 + 2048 MB)
● 4096 MB (4096 × 2048 MB × 2, 1 MB)
Does this mean I can properly run 12gb ram in there if I now get a 8gb stick(it already has a 4gb one)? Will there be any significant problem with 12gb, i.e. only one stick being used indead of both simultaneously?

should i just start again or upgrade what i have?

>r5 2600
>a320
>16gb 3200mhz cl14
>gtx 660
>seasonic platinum psu

either i upgrade the motherboard, gpu & monitor or sell what i have and start again fresh.

Reminder that you get very little thermal paste included with your Noctua cooler, so be careful

Attached: Noctua NT-H1 Amount.jpg (3376x2212, 1.74M)

why are you upgrading? Just get a new GPU/monitor. The RAM, PSU, CPU, and motherboard are fine, doubly so if you're not overclocking.

Yes, I had the R5 2600, and now got I 9400F, can confirm these benchmarks as true. Make sure to get a cheap Z390 board so you can install cheap Micron E die memory and run it at 4000MHz, which will boost the FPS of it even more. You also get an upgrade path.

Attached: 1565279214283.png (1268x673, 207K)

i dont need to overclock even with this 660 most of my games run fine but on the lowest settings.

should i get a reference asus rx 5700xt for $561 aud or a gigabyte 2070 super for $774 aud

depends on the resolution you're playing at. The non XT 5700 should be more than enough.

currently 1200p @ 60hz but i was looking to step up to 144hz either in 1080p or 1440p. im undecided if 1440p if really a big deal over 1080

1440p is a nice jump. Need a little bit less Anti-aliasing the higher resolution you go. If you're intending to game 144HZ @ 1440p, get the 5700XT.

and the reference card is ok in terms of temps? ive heard arguments of it being fine & being too hot

5700xt literally thermall throttles
5700 is close to thermally throttling, but in a cool environment it shouldnt.

Respond please.

Will I be missing out on performance if I go with a b450 over a x570?

Attached: 5630C6B854734B3F8EB8D767F4AC05CF.png (400x400, 29K)

MFW AMDfags can't post monies.

Attached: 1527483532499.png (1024x691, 213K)

I've put together my first build with a 3600 and a 5700.
But I can't ever wake the computer after putting it to sleep. I press a key on the keyboard or the power button and every fan starts working, but there's no signal on the monitor and few seconds later my ps2 keyboard and my mouse turn off while the computer is still on. What the fuck is going on?
(Tried to install Ubuntu to check out if it was a classic windows 10 problem, but Ubuntu 19 doesn't boot at all it gets stuck loading the live iso.)

Only pcie 4.0, but that only matters for high speed NVME ssds.

I know dual channel is better than single, but is there quad channel or dual x2? I plan on buying 32gb of ram but not sure if I should use 4x8 or 16x2

quad channel and eight channel ram exist but are on workstation boards and processors

threadripper 3 will have quad and eight channel, as well as enthusiast level overclocking support

Opinions about this build for 1080p gaming? Using mainly parts from OP. Also wondering if I should get a 5700 xt or a 2060 super.

pcpartpicker.com/list/CyVsHh

However the motherboard seems to have a lot of incompatibilities with some parts. Thanks

>pcpartpicker.com/list/CyVsHh
youtube.com/watch?v=AFv7rRYcEf8

watch this video, but don't get that case

Finally managed to get one bros

Attached: gc.jpg (1000x750, 247K)

very nice

Can someone help me?
Can the ryzen power plans have something to do with this?

Newegg has the XFX 5700XT THICC II Ultra for $450. Worth it? Reviews seem to show this card has no issues with thermals.

What's wrong with the case?

Would a strix v56 match performance of a rx 5700 if OC'd? Could reallly do with saving the 70€

>not red devil
Why even bother

Cheaper and I wanna get the PC built soon. Who knows when red devils restock and if I'll be able to snag one in time once they do.

pcpartpicker.com/list/4MXgTB
Rate please. Looking to start ordering today. Like within the hour.

Are seagate HDDs better now or are they not worth it?

consider the 3700x
for ssd get a m.2 inland or sabrent rocket
you don't really need a cpu cooler but you can get one if you feel like it

1 and 2TB models are fine. Pretty much every company has gotten their 1 and 2TB models down fine. I personally own 2x 2TB Seagate Barracudas and they work fine. I also own an 8TB Ironwolf and it's OK too. Buy what's on sale.

yea I'm looking to get proper boost clocks and silence. This cooler I have selected not only matches my motherboard styling, but it's essentially 2x Hyper 212 EVOs together in a dual tower form. Why the 3700X though? Is it better for gaming?