Scala?

What are your guys thoughts about scala?
Or would you guys recommend using kotlin over it as it is the new flavour of the month.

Attached: Scala_1.png (824x426, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCaml#Users
eclipse.org/xtend/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Scala is dead. Too hard for the average normie to learn. Kotlin is where industry is going and will actually get you a job.

Nobody has good enough internet yet to get what they promise.

I heard that Scala is only functional language you can a job with, as its used heavily in big data

Basically true. Scala and Elixir are the only relevant functional programming languages that can you a job.

Still doesn't mean you have any hope of getting a job with Scala anyway. You have a better chance with Elixir with Phoenix since it is the hot new Ruby on Rails for startups.

I am currently looking to make a desktop application and the jvm provides swing and fx so if scala or koltin can use that I would be pretty happy,

there's scalafx

Language of h1bs. They love bigdata because it's big bullshit that gets them paid. Join any Spark or Hadoop Facebook group and you'll see.

From what I have seen its slavs and ruskis that love it.

F# and Clojure are sometimes used in industry—albeit totally dwarfed by languages like C#—and there are at least a few shops that use OCaml. There's also Elixir. It's also worth nothing that Scala is not purely functional.

>Few
You mean one: Janestreet

Every language on the JVM is designed to interop with Java.

Any idea how scala fairs on performance and
resource consumption ?

a tad slower than java in general, not enough to care really. I mean, Spark is made in Scala.

There are a couple of others: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCaml#Users

Learning it as I go for a uni class. Not a fan at all so far, but I haven't been a fan of the other functional language (F#) I was pushed into either

>Elixir
>Job

pick one

Kotlin is last years hype. Xtend is now the new fad in wannabe java jvm langauges. It's also a step in the right direction. Much better than Kotlin even.

eclipse.org/xtend/

Where I live many start ups and companies are switching to Elixir because it scales better than most other languages and does micro services very easily compare to other languages.

I love Elixir, but I live in Los Angeles and it's SUPER rare. Might be a dozen jobs in the whole of the USA at any time from what I've seen on indeed.com