Is 144hz a meme?

Is 144hz a meme?

Attached: 144hz-monitors.jpg.optimal.jpg (590x255, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pUvx81C4bgs
youtube.com/watch?v=uzp8z1i5-Hc
amazon.it/Samsung-C24FG73-LC24FG73FQUXEN-Monitor-Desktop-FreeSync/dp/B07256D6KM/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=monitor+144hz+1ms&qid=1568548552&s=gateway&sprefix=Monitor+144&sr=8-2&th=1&psc=1
news.mit.edu/2014/in-the-blink-of-an-eye-0116
testufo.com/
samsung.com/levant/monitors/c24fg73/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you game and have hardware that can pull off that kind of framerate then you will certainly notice the difference. I have a 144hz monitor and a gtx1080. Arena shooters are a pleasure to play.

It's neat. But it's absolutely not the load-blowing experience some will tell you it is. Still, no reason not to get a high refresh monitor if you're in the market for a new display.

yes, just like most tech "advancements", make sure to buy the newer monitors with 280Hz or whatever next year

>arena shooters

Attached: mp,840x830,matte,f8f8f8,t-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg (750x1000, 79K)

Night and day exspirience on fast paced shooters. Doesn't matter much in other things.

No, it looks amazing even in single player games, and even on the desktop. You can also set it to 120 Hz which is an even multiple of most video framerates.

It only matters when you play video games. And video games are Fisher Price toys for babies.

Yes. Nobody can tell the difference between 60hz and more than 60hz

Yes, it's a meme.

Attached: fps comparison.jpg (1920x596, 401K)

+1

The improvement is there, it feels great, you don't even need to hit 144 FPS. FPS with other than multiples of 60 no longer cause unusual stuttering as on a 60hz monitor, so you will have butter experience at any fps above 60.

That or I'm just crazy, but with a 60hz monitor it was always 60 fps or 120 fps where stuff were smooth. Give me 70, 80, 90, 100, and things began being choppy.

144hz is only a meme if you havent seen one in person running something at 144fps. If your specs can run vidya at that FPS, everything is buttery smooth while you move around. Its especially noticable in racing games and fast FPS games.

I have a 144hz monitor, and theres a really noticable difference when Im playing something at 100-144fps and then try knocking it down to 60fps.

If your monitor is only 60hz, you have no way to see what 144hz looks like without seeing it in person. Even moving the mouse across your desktop is smoother.

4K is a big meme though. Avoid that shit unless you have top of the line specs that can run vidya at that huge of a resolution at max settings.

If you're one of the unfortunate people in the world that can't discern the difference then sure. But for the rest of us, the universe doesn't work in 0.0167 second increments.

Its a little better, but not really essential. IMO, go for a higher resolution first over a high refresh rate. 60Hz is fine.

but actually desu it's pretty fucking neat.

I have a 60z monitor, and I never really cared too much about the difference between 30fps and 60fps. A lot of console games are 30fps and I was used to it.

And then my friend got a 165hz monitor and a computer that could run games at that fps and it's so fucking buttery smooth. 60fps is okay to me now, but as an absolute minimum bar. Anything lower than 60fps is absolutely fucking dead to me now.

Lel

youtu.be/pUvx81C4bgs

Nah it s not a meme unless you are an eyelet

if you game while on coke, yes

It's not just about seeing objects go through more frames of motion, it's about your screen being able to react to your inputs in finer precision. When you snap your mouse around in-game, the extra frames make it much easier to aim quicker and more precisely. At a low framerate, you more easily overshoot or undershoot a mouse move.

I work with a screen and play with a screen after work. I swear I concentrate and retain knowledge better on 144Hz for reading / office tasks. I suspect eye saccades and all that but who knows maybe placebo. I would buy E-Ink if they made it.

imo 60 to 144hz is a much bigger difference than 1080p to 1440p/2160p

how come I can see the difference between them despite using a 60hz display?

Attached: 1501211254149.png (451x619, 429K)

>4K is a big meme though
To each their own I guess I'm in a minority where I can really notice the detail of 4K but fail to notice much difference after 60fps.

>4K is a big meme though
Gaming, maybe but defninitely not for anything on the desktop. Using an IDE or a DAW on 4k is so much better.

This. it is cool but i barely notice anything after 100fps

144 Hz also has less motion blur so it might be that.

The A-10 is a meme against turbofan-sensitive surface to air missiles, yes

144hz yes

100hz seems to be the sweet spot. Definitely better than 60 but you start hitting diminishing returns if you aren't competitive FPS player

>Gaming at 4K is a big meme though
ftfy

It is if you're using a mouse, feels so much better

1440p is the sweet spot, 4k doesn't look that good and distant objects in vidya always look shit. The LOD tricks they use are too clear

yeah as long as you're hitting 90-100fps it looks the same

Yes they can. Stop being a faggot

>144hz
>buttery smooth

Attached: 4L_AoL5g3zx.jpg (1280x720, 142K)

>1 FPS / 1 FPS
ftfy

Its only not a meme for people who play western games and shooters, and those people aren't mentally over the age of 12

>4K is a big meme though
Here's how you spot a manchild

this
my old CRT could go up 120Hz, so i used various modes,
1280x1024@75Hz for turn based strategy
1024x768@85Hz for real time strategy
800x600@100Hz for most shooters/older rts
640x480@120Hz for older/twitch shooters

this was in the early 2000's, where those resolutions were not out of the ordinary
everything up to 120Hz was noticeable, but going from 100 to 120Hz was only barely noticeable
everything up to 100Hz was very obvious, even with just slowish panning (like in RTS games)

poorfag detected

it's not much special for games, mostly you'll wind up playing with the mouse cursor and loving how smooth it is but you won't notice in other tasks

id rather they make cheaper 100/120hz panels
60 to 75 is a very noticable change, 100 to 144 is way less so

I had a choice between 1080 24 144 tn and a 1440 32 75hz gsync compatible ips
I tested the smaller one for a couple of days but went with the big lad IPS in the end
coming from a CRT, they both had motion blurring, but IPS was bigger, better looking monitor, from all angles
plus gsync makes a difference, but I dont know if it adds significant input lag

youtube.com/watch?v=uzp8z1i5-Hc

144 hz is not a meme but all marketing surrounding it is mostly memes. it is hard to describe smoothness of animation using a still picture.

I'm looking for a new gaming monitor to replace my old Asus VG248QE. I've set my eyes on this:
amazon.it/Samsung-C24FG73-LC24FG73FQUXEN-Monitor-Desktop-FreeSync/dp/B07256D6KM/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=monitor+144hz+1ms&qid=1568548552&s=gateway&sprefix=Monitor+144&sr=8-2&th=1&psc=1

Does anyone have experience with curved qled gaming monitors?
Is 27" too big for 1920x1080?

No but going above 144hz slowly starts to go into the meme territory.

144hz is shit

Attached: hz.jpg (590x255, 52K)

>You can also set it to 120 Hz which is an even multiple of most video framerates.
Most of current media uses 24fps as standard framerate and not 30, that makes 144hz the correct multiple.

Except media uses 23.976Hz (24p) and it isn't a multiple at all...

That's an excellent plan to still sell cheap TN-panels.

Not meme, those who played with 100Hz 20 years ago already knew it.

Depends on what you want to play, like almost everything in pc building.
Fast paced fps 144hz is not a meme and you will notice how buttery smooth everything is.

your average like rimworlds or civ, 144hz is a meme because the frames don't change that often.

Depends on the game. Playing CS:GO gives you a noticing advantage but playing Monster Hunter world makes no diference.

144Hz only really shines with backlight strobing and adaptive sync.
There is only one Monitor on the market that offers both in a combination.

that monitor being?

That's the actual meme.

ASUS VG27AQ

>Is 144hz a meme?
I don't know. I'm not sure I'll see the difference between it and 75 Hz. Not that many people have the hardware to push 144 fps anyway. And also not the best GPUs money can buy at this point can do it for all games.

Objectively, absolutely. Not only because humans gain 0 benefit from them but because they waste GPU resources drawing frames you'll never see and your monitor probably can't even display them (ie response time = max frame time).

On the biological side of things, humans can virtually "see" an unlimited number of frames per second (ie light entering your retina) but the problem is it can only process a finite number of "frames" and the rest are guessed, this has universally been proven to max out at 13ms or 75 FPS. Just like how hearing degrades over time so does sight, this explains why little kids look like crack addicts and old people like they've been frozen in time. It also explains why house flies are so hard to kill.

news.mit.edu/2014/in-the-blink-of-an-eye-0116

So the other problem is your monitor's response time which has been easily confused with being able to "see" more FPS. For example a "144Hz" monitor with 10ms of real world average GtG response time will:
A.) Have a maximum ability to display only 100 consecutive frames per second, the rest are dropped to maintain A/V sync.
B.) Those 100 consecutive frames are NOT displayed for 10ms each, instead they are essentially smeared on the screen one after the other leaving very noticeable ghosting/trailing and other motion artifacts
C.) If capped at 50 FPS, display the frames for only 10ms and then spend the other 10ms smearing the pixels to display the next frame.

tl;dr
It's better to have a monitor that only displays 60 FPS but has a real world average GtG response time of just 4ms or less than a shitty 75-144Hz monitor with higher real world response time than that.

Attached: article-2685860-1F82F06C00000578-127_636x382.jpg (1908x1146, 232K)

for me problem with 144hz is game compatibility with so many console ports or simply retro games not supporting anything above 30/60 fps I'd rather stick to my 4k60hz panel

It's hard to go back to 60hz afterwards, and not just for gaming. Even moving a mouse around on a light background looks much nicer on 144hz without all of the motion blurring.

not a ton of content for that frame rate so you'll mostly be watching lerp and vidya

I bought one because i mainly play fps games, and it's great for that, but i hate it when i fire up a single player game and i can't hit stable or even hit 144 fps at all, it looks stuttery as fuck

>reddit
>fortnite
fuck off zoomer, i'm sure you think minecraft is shit now because "its old".

>human
>gpu resources
go back to your schizo aspie debian diversity discord
i'm sure you overclocked your thinkpad's monitor but you think you can only see 60hz because discord is an electron app that can't do more than 60fps on Linux due to niggerlicious code

Attached: deb.png (1200x1486, 92K)

Interesting, no matter then FPS, its a shit game

Ah, 4channel..

Attached: 1568454985870.png (300x100, 5K)

yes you should go directly to 240hz unless you are a subhuman

>wrote a bunch of shit
if you want the lowest gtg and lowest input lag you should get a 240hz tn

>thinking a 60hz is in any way a reasonable choice
lmao

yeah high hz totally is shit without strobing causing eyestrain and sync tech that adds input lag
go for a quality 60hz instead

crts didnt have blurring or input lag either..... rip crts

I'm not saying 60 FPS it the cap but 75 is until we can prove otherwise. It's biological limitation of the human brain, it just simply takes time for the visual information to actually be processed by our massive grey matter and this only gets worse over time.

If you're absolutely sure you have genetic mutations that somehow allow you to see past 75Hz and your monitor really does have an average of 1 GtG response time then conduct a very simple ABX test: Record yourself playing a game at 144 FPS and then cap that games FPS to 75 FPS or set your monitor to 75Hz and record yourself again.

Then take those 2 videos and through an ABX test try to guess which one is the 144Hz and post results. Good luck.

Attached: cokedupkoreanspeech.png (1828x1740, 999K)

Not in competitive FPS. 60Hz in CSGO is a nightmare, 120 and 144 are good, and 240 must be amazing but never tried it.

Bullshit, i can recognize 100, 120, and 144hz.
To be more precise, all three are good, but 144hz is noticeably better with camera rotations and pans.

This. Also 192khz/32-bit WAV files are also not a meme in competitive music listening.

Sweet, so you obviously will have no trouble posting the ABX test proving you're not just experiencing a placebo. Can't wait for you to post the results here proving you right.

hi boomer

Attached: 4L_4pTy4lgS.jpg (628x314, 39K)

>192Khz
Bullshit, i can recognize 384Khz, 768Khz, and 1.5 Mhz.
To be more precise, all three are good, but 1.5 Mhz is noticeably better with violins and drums.

Are 4k 144Hz monitors even readily available yet?

I could tell a big improvement in smoothness just going from 60hz to 75hz a few weeks ago, so I can only imagine the difference to be massive at 144hz.

For games, no. For most video content (i.e. movies and streaming shit) yes.

>tfw 165hz and can tell between 82.5hz
How about you view this site on a 144hz monitor you fucking pseud.
testufo.com/

For Counter Strike I lower my resolution to 1024 so I can go from 60 to 75 hz. I notice differences. Especially when sniping.

>144Hz
Fuck that, when are 1,000Hz 4K monitors? I'm not some dumb boomer and the laws of physics don't apply to me. This should honestly the the BARE MINIMUM refresh rate for all monitors today.

Okay I did and saw literally no difference, guess I'm just a dumb boomer. So how soon can we expect your ABX test results? I'm planning on going with my fishing buddies soon to drink monster zero and talk about all you dumb zoomers all day in a couple of hours, you know because I'm just some dumb boomer who doesn't understand all you hip fart night playing zoomers.

1440p and 144hz is too expensive. I got a 27 in freesync 75hz 1080p monitor for $60 off Craigslist and it's fine.

>tfw you're a slow boomer and it's probably not even age but genetics

Two separate monitors are needed...

>I'm just a dumb boomer.
Yes, an actual boomer, the kind that no one likes.

Attached: 1532325663078.jpg (847x801, 87K)

yes, because 120Hz is the sweet spot.
you can view 24Hz and 30Hz without judder without needing to change the refresh rate every time.

projecting

>record yourself playing at 144Hz
>record yourself playing at 75Hz
>play back both videos in an ABX test and guess which one is 144Hz
C'mon zoomers, I thought you guys were super ultra mega hackers by now with all the tech you've been exposed to.

How about you do that, and then do the thing where you larp and say there was no difference.

Im definitely happy to upgrade to 144hz, I for sure dont want my money back. In love with the frames (and monitor in general)

samsung.com/levant/monitors/c24fg73/

So sad to see we're raising a generation of COWARDS too afraid to be prove themselves right. We should have ALL bought a ford instead of payed for your college. Welp off to my fishing trip, stay zimmy, zoomer.

impressive
like I went from 1280x1024@60 to 1024x768@75 (or whatever res it was) back in the 90s CRT era, for a half a year, and I couldn't tell any difference until I finally went back to 60Hz and everything suddenly felt slow as fuck

You would just stop posting at any rate. Look up anything with professional gamers on FPS and HZ. The fact that you said you tried alienufo on 144hz and noticed no difference is the most obvious tell that you're a baiting faggot.

Very few games can hit 240fps stable though. I'm currently on 144 and I'll bite the bullet and go to 240 with a new build

kek

If not gaming: 144 with whatever response time is fine. If gaming: a good 144 panel.

Didn't Steam's VR headset enable a 120Hz option recently?

Probably because if it's more than 60fps u expect 120fps quality but instead ur getting sub120 so it feels sloppy that way?? Not sure

Ignore this sorry