/hsg/ Home Server General

Cluster boi edition

---
NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Re-purpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding OK here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisy enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want. You can check out the following sheets and sort by price.
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E

>Links & resources
Server tips: pastebin.com/SXuHp12J
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features

>Chat
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org
---

Let's discuss homelabs and setups!

Attached: cluster.jpg (3285x2524, 781K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ironhalik/docker-wireguard
linuxize.com/post/using-the-ssh-config-file/
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=github.daneren2005.dsub&hl=en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My pfsense vm started fucking boot looping
Good thing i had a backup from monday

Attached: 1563194700785.png (250x250, 97K)

>Cluster boi
>not cluster fuck

Naw, mate, that's mine.

Attached: DSC_0511.jpg (1600x1200, 767K)

hahahaha this is fucking budget tier if I have ever seen it. Good job user

Finally got the drives for my DS1019+. I know I could've done it myself cheaper but I'm very very stupid and it would've taken me a long time and lots of headaches to get something that works as well as a synology does.

C U T E

Attached: 264.png (240x304, 15K)

dead

I asked in /fglt/ before, but got no answer. Maybe you guys are more knowledgeable on this one.
Is it possible to change the default Name in ssh?
So if I'm logged in as user@Desktop and type in ssh Server i'm getting logged in as Normie@Server as long as i don't specify another username

Is there anything wrong with running a dual PSU server with only one plugged in?

Attached: head.gif (1280x960, 1.23M)

Raspberry pi 3 b+ or pi 4 for Pihole, influxdb, grafana and a few more things in the future?

There's literally no reason to buy a 3b+ anymore.

sweet
get some scrap wood off the side of the road and make a case for it for jankiness++ and a tity bit less dust
put that GPIO to work somehow, drag yuge bundles of wires out
put strobing RGB on it
keep the dowells though, they're fucking epic

SSS+ cooling system

I run a single node kubernetes cluster at home lol

Good? Shit? Running your own CA for the certs?

it's an old workstation laptop: 3rd gen i7 (4c8t), 32gb ram.

It didn't make sense to split it into multiple virtual machines "because the internet says so". I'm using letsencrypt for certs as usual, nothing fancy.

what can I say, it does its job.

"Fault tollerance" wasn't a priority because since it's running at home, if the power goes down everything goes down anyway so...

I'm not aware of any conventional ssh settings. You may have to tinker some shell script yourself.

Unless you're running something actual critically (for other people), no.

Is setting up Wireguard on a VM to remote into my home network relatively safe?

Wireguard should be relatively safe, IDK why you'd set it up on a VM though.

Even if you wanted to virtualize, why not use a container like;
github.com/ironhalik/docker-wireguard

So i set up a small server and now wanna make it accessible via ssh, ergo ssh user@server. How do i change the server's name to 'server'? I changed the hostname already, but i only ssh: Could not resolve hostname 'server': Name or service not known. Am i mixing things up? Using Centos.

The problem is probably your router - it needs to know that "server" means that machine's IP address. You can use "dig" and friends to query what it knows, if anything.

If you try on "server" itself, of course it already should know that localhost is named that.

Now, how to configure your router... uh, that varies. Some will allow machines to register one or more hostnames on getting dhcp done. Some won't and you'll have to statically add that "server" = ip address mapping and probably fix the ip address of that machine to the MAC of the network card.

linuxize.com/post/using-the-ssh-config-file/

BTW it could also be that if you clear the registered mappings on the router and just reconnect, the issue will solve itself (maybe the router enforces no re-registration + one mapping only for dhcp DNS registrations).

That's probably unrelated given:
> Could not resolve hostname 'server': Name or service not known.

It's almost certainly a DNS name resolution issue.

Yeah, I'm behind an ISP router which basiclly has the options of "Login to function" and "Return for service". Time to get a small proper router as well then..

Do you have a DNS server in your network? Use that to translate IP to "server"
Else, though not optimal, add "server" "IP" to /etc/hosts on Linux or C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc on Windows.

Anyone using wifi for their homeserver? Don't want to drill a hole in the wall.
Oh and I'm on 802.11n not even ac
Pls no bully

>DNS server
That's actually a great idea. Not yet, but i got a RPI3 flying around.

>I changed the hostname already
On the server?
You have to have it on the hosts file in the computer you're connecting from

Ever consider a Powerline Adapter?
Even an apartment complex made in the 1980s has a chance working stable.
To answer your question though, yeah I did at some point. As if it could make 5400rpm hard drives any worse than they already were and it was fine

I'm on a raspberry Pi now so it's certainly an upgrade.

But what's the point in that? My goal is that if another machine comes in, it should be able to just enter server/ into his browser and get all services listed. I know nginx is down the road, but what the use of it if i can't even ssh in a practical sense..

That is probably the case. Want some suggestions for cheap home AP/router devices?

Well, as a quick workaround for now, you could map names to IP addresses in /etc/hosts... on all machines (yea, that's what the DHCP server on the router lets you avoid doing, manually setting this up, but for a small number of machines it probably works ok as workaround).

> irc.rizon.net #_hsg_

What happened to #hsg ?
Also, tell me about your switches and why I shouldn't have ordered a Mikrotik CRS326-24G-2S on a whim.

You could. but it'll kinda suck.
> Don't want to drill a hole in the wall.
Why not just put the machine next to the AP?

>your switches
One gloriously cheap Chinese Tenda 5 port switch for like $12. Works.

The router is outside hanging upside down in the ceiling

Honest question.
What do you guys use your homeservers for?
I have tons of unused hardware (network switches, routers, actual servers, raspberries, client computers etc) but no real idea what to use them for other than network storage.

To sail the high seas in search of waifus

im looking a cpu for plex transcoding im hoping atleast 4k(17000-12000 passmark) that doesnt pull more than 100w?

>into his browser
So even if you had a custom dns server in LAN the new device won't have it configured by default. Once they do have it though it should work how you wanted.

centralized network storage
pfSense firewall
DNS master for local and public zones
Hypervisor for Home-AD environment, compiling gentoo, lab/testing and generally fucking around

Mount your Odroid HC1/2 or whatever next to it, and/or put it into an outdoors capable box below.

Arguably, if you can't be convinced to do it okay, I guess you'll have to try WLAN first and see yourself if/how much it sucks. Figures there will still be time to remove that USB WLAN stick or whatever and grab the box and/or your SDS wall rotary hammer drill.

IPFS doesn't have this problem
Come to the future user

Serving files.
Running services (git, torrents, Jow Forums scraper).

So i know this is going to sound stupid, but what about those low power arm based nas that you can buy off amazon, with those custom os? I need to move some stuff off my PC, no streaming or similar. Just an external archive, possibly open to external access, so i CAN share my stuff with others.

Works, but you generally don't buy these off Amazon but directly from S.Korea/HongKong/Mainland China etc.

Odroid HC1/2 / N2 [CoreElec variant?] or Pine64 Rock64Pro should be some interesting models.

What am I chasing then here? That's exactly what they do at my institute. You come in, enter your workspace(VPS) name in the browser and get greeted by links to other shit. If you're "advanced" you can ssh user@workspace as well and I never set anything up on my machine, less did the guys that have even less clue.

Of course you can also buy a QNAP or Synology NAS, but frankly, for >2 drive devices that's about the same cost and less flexiblity/drives than assembling your own x86_64 with a mainboard with an onboard CPU is.

Only really attractive if you don't know Linux and don't have time to learn anything (not even premade NAS distros) and just need a Web GUI thing preinstalled.

You're right I could be retarded

DHCP probably registered this with the DNS server. I also got my WLAN AP (which serves as DHCP and DNS server for the LAN) set up that way.

Arguably if you don't have your router DHCP / DNS ... server thing under control, you could only set up a separate DHCP server and make all your devices use it, or maybe use zeroconf / avahi which doesn't necessarily integrate well with all software.

Basically probably just spend $25-50 and get your own Chink router/ap thing with OpenWRT or some other firmware that has all features you could possibly need.

IRC bouncer, seedbox, and backups mainly.

Attached: 1568499801332.png (562x821, 405K)

reasonable argument

>centralized network storage
obviously
>pfSense firewall
good point, havent looked into that yet
>Home-AD
For personal use? I have an AD Server with 2 clients, printers etc but just for learning/testing. I cant see how i could personally benefit from it.

I might add that a few years ago, all ISP's in my country switched from dynamic IPv4 to Dual Stack Lite, which kills every service i could use via Internet (VPN, FTP, Webserver etc)

>Basically probably just spend $25-50 and get your own Chink router/ap thing with OpenWRT or some other firmware that has all features you could possibly need.
Likely the way to go now, even if it ends today's tinkering session.
I'd probably crawl through the IT waste bin first, but else what are some neat switches to play around with? Mikrotik gets pretty shilled here at least..

> For personal use?

Yes. It started out as a test lab, but just having it around for me and family is actually pretty convenient.
I lost count of how many times some of them came to me:
>Windows broke, pls fix
and I just reinstalled the thing with WDS.

>DNS
>DHCP
>Jenkins
>Git
>seedbox

Well i can definitely see the benefits in your case.
I never found the time/need to read into WDS. I understand it works via PXE but it would probably take me quite some time to figure out the best way how to setup the image/install automation (xml i presume?) properly.

Is there a legit self-hosted spotify replacement? I used cherry music, but its android clients works like shit.

ampache

I want to setup myself a little server for backups and to run Docker containers to host services to access remotely via a reverse proxy or with vpn. I'm not sure which OS to run and how much ram I would need and if I should run everything inside a virtual machine. Tips?

FTP?

DNS/adblock
Torrent
File server

It's just a Pi 4 with a USB 3.0 RAID box.

>all ISP's in my country switched from dynamic IPv4 to Dual Stack Lite

Germany by chance? I'm in the same boat. My personal network is fucked and i have to explain to most of my customers why they suddenly have to pay triple for their internet if they want to use FTP and VPN. Obviously they claim its my fault, shit fucking sucks.

I don't own a NAS but maybe you guys know about HDD. What is the best price performance for HDD? I'm eyeing 4TB WD Blue, or maybe I could buy some 4TB externals? Could you still shucking external or is it all proprietary now?

It's easy, switch your ISP

>ALL ISP's in my country...
yeah
>it's easy, switch your country
fuck off my nigga

I don't operate switches with any particular degree of smartness. Mine are just the usual autoconfigured magic black boxes that route traffic.

All the "clever" stuff is on the OpenWRT AP/router.

Jellyfin? Obviously assuming you connect home over some kind of ssh/vpn secured connection.

Usually the 8-10TB external 3.5" drives, typically sold for around $160-200 or so. Yes, shuck them.

Hei, hei, no need for harsh words.
You're the one living in a country that cucks you.

Is there a limit as to how often influxdb and grafana can poll? Netdata is pretty much instantaneous snf polls every second.
Mine is set to 10sec but when I go lower weird shit starts happening and no values being reported.

It might hit you too at some point.

>might

Add this to your ~/.ssh/config :

Host *
User normie

If the file doesn't exist, create it.

KEK

KUK

What do people do with Pi clusters? Seems really useless compared to even a old Xeon with a couple dozen cores and cheap registered RAM.

thing is once you start adding up all that crap youre basically in used server budget territory already

What's the best home security software I can use to run some security cameras, store footage locally and allow control hopefully via an app on my phone. Also can anyone recommend any good value wide angle / night mode cameras?

Maybe take a look at Zoneminder?
You can connect most sorts of network cameras, it has some pretty nice features and you can control it via a webinterface.

If you want a more normie friendly solution, Unify has some stuff available.

Come on user don't leave us hanging

Tell us what you use it for?

First I just played around to get the kick out of distributing workloads.
Then I replaced my webserver with it cause of electricity. Saves around 15€ a month here.

Anyone run postfix+dovecot on raspbian or armbian?

What are some useful ways to implement IPFS into my home network? I already have a machine that’s a server for: FTP, SSH, music, plex, and torrenting.

Use Airsonic. It’s great.

Whats the cheapest step up from gigabit ethernet not counting link aggregation?

Attached: 1417144680826.jpg (2448x3264, 999K)

Right now it would be worse solutions for everyone of those.
But it has peer discovery built in so you don't need no DNS or none of that. A new device coming in to the network would automatically detect the host of a file.

point-to-point 10G SFP+

Does this work well on Linux and *BSD? How does this compare to Infiniband?

It's a pretty janky ghetto solution no matter your OS, so it's right up there with hacking something Inifniband based together.

Switches with SFP+ cages are pretty affordable now and fiber based 10G also feels more energy efficient.
Cheapest switches start around $140, so it's not that much on top of getting a bunch of cards and cables.

+1 to been using airsonic + DSub as my spotify replacement and its pretty great. App is bit buggy and can sometimes crash, but its not too bad.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=github.daneren2005.dsub&hl=en (its available for free on fdroid)

Any way to get it to work with Poweramp?

Minus the 1000W power consumption.

My NAS / media computer. I'm in love with how well it works.

Attached: pi.jpg (1506x1320, 603K)

Do you use it as media station as well or what's with the video/audio?

I have it hooked up to my bedroom tv above it. Its overclocked to 2GHz, and plays 1080p vids perfectly well and also can browse the shittiest most bloated websites without issue.

Not very familiar with Poweramp, but assuming it plays local files, you can use DSub to download files to your phone. You can set it up to automatically download "starred" songs. The "starred" songs are stored server-side, so if you switch phones you wont have to go through and select the songs to download again.

I'm an absolute newbie in the territory, but it'd be cool to set up a backup / file sync server (not necessarily more than a 2TB drive at first), also interested in trying out Pihole etc.

Any starter tips so I get a kick in the right direction?

Home Server newbie here. Got a question regarding hiding/obfuscating my home's IP address if I want to make it available to friends/family.

i.e.: I have a media server and want to share it with friends, but I don't want them to have my IP address.

I assume I would need some kind of proxy service to give me an IP address that will route people to my service, but I'm not really familiar with this process.

I'm not sure if there's a "preferred" approach to this kind of thing, or if there's a specific proxy service that comes highly recommended, or if a proxy is even the appropriate solution.

Any insight is appreciated

Attached: skeltal.gif (500x500, 786K)

I've got a question for /hsg/. How do you handle your server OS backups?

I want to make complete images of my server's OS so that I can restore them easily. Right now this is a simple task since the OS is on USB, so I just take it out and dump + gzip the image on my main PC. I was thinking of moving my server's OS to an internal SATA drive, but this would make my simple backup procedure more difficult since taking the drive out and putting it in my desktop would be too much work, so I'd need to do the backup on the server itself while the main OS isn't actually running. Yet that also sounds like a PITA since it means I need peripherals connected to my server and to boot it into something else every time.

So, what's a good, simple way to get complete OS disk images?

10G SFP+ cards. If you're only looking to network 2 systems you'd only need 2 cards and a cable, you can connect them directly and set up a network like that. There's also a Mikrotik switch with 4 SFP+ ports and 1 GbE port for under $150, small and completely quiet too. The switch could work as a start to a 10G network with up to 4 10G devices while also having the ability to easily connect to your existing 1G network.

That's what I ended up doing, actually. Got a couple of Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G cards and a Mikrotik CRS305, everything was pretty damn simple to set up and I think I came in under $200 for the upgrade. If you skip the switch you may be able to go as low as the ~$50 range, depending on how long your cable needs to be (long runs need fiber).