/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Welcome to /fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Windows and share their experiences.

This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Windows Thread ***

Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips and tricks that make your life with Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant).

>Choosing, downloading, installing, activating windows / office
rentry.co/fwt

>LTSC 2019 ISO optimization & debloating
rentry.co/ltsc_optimized

>recommended windows software (infograph)
s1.desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1562/46/1562467997749.png (embed)

>windows 7 updates to avoid
pastebin.com/a1htBUby (embed)

>windows 7 ricing guide (nanami-tan fork)
namazso.github.io/nanami-tan/

previous thread:

Attached: 1568511187489.jpg (750x953, 200K)

Other urls found in this thread:

itechtics.com/disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows
ghacks.net/2019/09/03/what-is-the-best-free-archiver-to-extract-archives-and-compress-files
github.com/stax76/mpv.net
ghacks.net/2019/09/10/sandbox-program-sandboxie-is-now-freeware-soon-open-source/
majorgeeks.com/files/details/sandboxie.html
github.com/microsoft/terminal
tenforums.com/tutorials/95922-generic-product-keys-install-windows-10-editions.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

imagine splooging inside her.

i want to nakadashi nanami-chan

How do I keep Win10 from auto-installing drivers and related stuff like "NVIDIA MEDIA", Intel Management Engine driver, ...?

In Advanced system settings > Hardware tab > Device Installation Options, I have selected not to install device drivers. Windows Update still lists the updates as queued for download&install.

don't think you can. maybe uninstalling after it is installed blacklists it, but don't count on this.
why do you want to do this anyways?

try these suggestions:

itechtics.com/disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows

friendly reminder: this is the recommended archive program now.

ghacks.net/2019/09/03/what-is-the-best-free-archiver-to-extract-archives-and-compress-files

Attached: serveimage.png (280x140, 6K)

don't you ever sleep?
also, kys shill

>.03 rupees have been deposited

Don't forget that mpv.net is the new kin/g/ of windows media players. It is an mpv front-end made for newcomers.

github.com/stax76/mpv.net

Attached: mpv1.png (454x266, 30K)

I ran W10UI overnight but forgot to install the Windows ADK. (Parameter 3 for DISM said some rando shit instead of "Windows 10 ADK" but I just ignored it.)

It gave me a "finished" text output in the command line but no ISO file in the W10UI folder.

I installed the ADK this morning and ran W10UI on the same folders I used the first time (the initial rebuilt ISO folder, the updates folder), and got the dated ISO in the W10UI folder (in under an hour I think, if that's relevant).

I used Optimize-LTSC on this ISO and things seem to be going fine - right now doing solid compression.

My question is: Should I expect there to be anything wrong with this final optimized ISO? What's going on with the rebuilt ISO files when running W10UI without the ADK installed, and then with the ADK installed?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-09-11 Dynasty Reader ยป Sunami Yuuko to Yuri na Hitobito ch05.png (417x469, 131K)

it will be fine

Any way to put the taskbar clock in the center of the taskbar?

did you re-run W10UI on the same exact folders as the first attempt to when it didn't create anything? or did you copy down fresh files with the ISO into the working folder to have W10UI do its thing? you're probably going to want to start over with a fresh copy of the files now that you know what it takes to do it. i know it sounds paranoid of me, but I just like to ensure the run works perfectly when I work on things.

if concerned just run it in a vm first

I refuse to abandon Nanami-chan, I'll stay with her even if I have to rely on custom mobo drivers made by some random chink.

Tried mpv but went back to kmplayer. It's just so convenient and has a lot of customization options

I will test it on a vm and see how it goes.

Yeah, it's on the same folders from the first time - I got lazy but just now realized there might be problems lol. Might just end up redoing the whole thing again.

live & learn, just do it again. consider it good practice.

What's the purpose of the SVF files? Can I use the Win 10 LTSC ISO without having to do all that shit with the SVF files?

Is there a way to get rid of windows 10S with out creating/signing in to a Microsoft account?

Got a new laptop from acer with pretty good specs and expand-ability options for the price, but didn't notice it came with this piece of shit "OS"

Can I use ltsc iso directly without rebuilding with w10ui tool? I don't have any w10 1607+ installed.

any recommendations for what to block in simplewall

Which Windoze is you're waifu?

>go to activate pirated windows 7 ultimate
>KMS windows activator lists win7 ultimate as unsupported

Well fuck. Now what do I do? Whats a trusted non virus laden activator that works on Ultimate?

crack 7 any way you can
upgrade to 10 for free
wipe and clean install with your new digital license

Das loader. eine auf duffenhagen das fur sure.

yes you can. just test in in a VM first to see how you like it.

>Can I use the Win 10 LTSC ISO without having to do all that shit with the SVF files?
yes

I see. Thank you.

if one just wants to download LTSC without any of the extra SVF/debloat stuff, just get it here (being sure to run Windows Update as this contains the data delete bug):

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:369E0306EF42BA0A1463E914C8819C3E575EBE8E

It's a drawing
I know this is the wrong website but
Seriously

God I fucking hate Windows 10. The latest update decided to just corrupt my entire SSD and you know what that means. It's time to attempt to enter recovery mode (spoiler: restarting your computer three times doesn't fucking work, next). Then it's time to try a bootable USB recovery media, surely that'll boot (spoiler: it won't). I've watched the little dots complete their dance, circling and circling to no avail. All I desire now is the infernal resolution to this godforsaken company where a billion clueless, drooling code monkeys are thrown into the fires of absolution to absolve them of their sins of incompetence. As I conclude this paragraph I will conclude my computer's short existence by fucking eating it.
I fucking hate Windows 10.

stop using the consumer (aka beta) edition & come home to LTSC

Microshit decided to send a BIOS update over Windows Update to my laptop as a mandatory update.

>things that never happened

>things that never happened
damn you're right bro, I'm not about to eat my fucking computer.
Seriously though, I can think of no other way for this fat fucking company to fall apart rather than divine intervention. How the fuck does this incompetent company continually degenerate between iterations? How do you consistently worsen your product in development?

Fucking disgusting.

Attached: 10.png (768x768, 6K)

Couldn't Microsoft have chosen a logo that turns into a nicer looking thumbnail?

Here, are you happy now?

Attached: 7.png (1600x1600, 57K)

Why is this happening?
I'm trying to install from a 16gb USB drive.

In rufus I set it to GBR and UEFI.
I don't want to use old BIOS.

Attached: 20190915_180923-2991x1792.jpg (2991x1792, 807K)

Wrong BIOS setting, or too old to support UEFI.

I have an x470 board so it should support uefi.
How can I fix a setting this is the first screen I see

Go explore your BIOS until you find something that sounds like a legacy setting and switch it to UEFI.

I'm literally doing the same thing right now. As the computer boots, press F11 and run UEFI: USB Partition 1 instead of USB: blablabla.

Yes, this is the wrong website you need to post anime aka nsfw on Jow Forums.org instead of 4channel.org

Ok, problem, now my computer just shows ASROCK and a loading circle. It won't actually boot the USB drive.

Even if the board supports UEFI, it will allow booting a device in legacy or UEFI mode, you might need to press F12 or something to bring up a boot selection menu to choose.

Remake in Rufus, try MBR for BIOS and UEFI and then choose UEFI when booting. Some boards might just be picky.

Thanks will try

I used those settings. It eventually just blue screened. Board is Asrock X470 Master SLI, same as the other user in the thread. ISO is from the Media Creation Tool from Micropenis.

I am this user.
I got in to the uefi settings. The boot drive was set to my ssd which obviously has nothing on it yet. I changed to USB and got windows setup.

Thanks anons.

Ok, the error states "stop code: driver pnp watchdog".

kys shill

No, moot could have chosen a less retarded thumbnailing algo.

daz loader if you're MBR. otherwise theres some UEFI SLIC injector. Or you could just reinstall with Enterprise

Do you mean you wouldn't want her on your dick

fuck off with your shit

Why did the optimizer from the paste delete windows defender from my install?

because it was set to delete it. You're told to review and disable/enable parts of the script for this reason, 's preferred configuration might not be the same as yours.

>bootup
>log in
>greeted by a stock desktop, no wallpaper, old theme and way less clutter
>reboot
>get my usual desktop
What the fuck

Attached: 1568475080071.jpg (1000x910, 156K)

My harddrive whirls like its dying too

Sandboxie is now freeware and will soon be free and open-source.

Source: ghacks.net/2019/09/10/sandbox-program-sandboxie-is-now-freeware-soon-open-source/

Download: majorgeeks.com/files/details/sandboxie.html

Attached: _20190913_081422.jpg (430x369, 24K)

Is there any way to install github.com/microsoft/terminal on LSTC, since they are asking at least build 18362, version 1903

>Make sure you're on the right version of Windows. You'll need to be on Insider's builds, or wait for the 1903 release, as the Windows TerminalREQUIRESfeatures from the latest Windows release.
I'm pretty sure it wont work no matter what you do

sad, I'll stick with cmder then!

Windows just did some update and the fucking search bar is ugly as sin and huge now. Any way to change it back?

Hey namazso, are you out there? I have a question.
I finally got around to downloading the source for your SPP hook DLL (the one everyone uses for KMS activation these days), as I wanted to have a look at how a non-sample AppVerifier provider works.
I was quite surprised to find it works by old-school IAT patching, rather than using the verifier thunk descriptors. Is there any reason for that that I'm missing?

Verifier thunk descriptors only allow you to specify what calls to what dll should be hooked. With custom IAT hooking you can hook any caller dll - called dll - called function combination.
Essentially I didn't want to mess up calls to those functions made by other random DLLs.
Hope this answers your question

>windows shilling gud
>hur dur bandizip bad

Attached: 1542637108923.png (644x812, 74K)

I suspected it might be an "inception" issue - but from my (admittedly brief) squiz at it, it doesn't look to me like calls to the RPC API involved need to be massaged at every single point.
Of course, the only way to be certain would be for me to modify it use the appverify thunk descriptors and see if it breaks.

Can diagnostics and telemetry be properly disabled without offline optimization?

Yes. A couple of months back a Pro user did it. Didn't transmit anything except mfstconnecttest probes.
He put a real sledgehammer through his Windows install to do it tho, IIRC.

even then you couldn't be certain it won't break in the future. it's always the first RPC over TCP that is emulated. If in the future some earlier loaded module does RPC over TCP while we hook for all modules, we'd accidentally emulate that and not the activation RPC, which would break the whole thing. Minimizing the chance of accidentally breaking is always good, especially if it is essentially "zero cost" (IAT hooking is "documented" because the PE specification is)

so no convenient way for a more average user then.

>even then you couldn't be certain it won't break in the future.
Funny, that's always the pause that IAT hooking has given me. MS likes to shuffle things around randomly.
Having said that, if they did shuffle this, an thunk-based version would break just the same as an IAT hook-based one.
>IAT hooking is "documented" because the PE specification is
But it's easy to spot, requires fiddling with page protection, and is the breakable - I put together a PoC IAT scrambler a few years back as an enforcement measure for a program I wrote (I didn't want extensions importing DLLs from outside an "approved" list).
Whereas these appverifier thunks are manna from heaven, being a fully-documented and supported API.
It'll be interesting thing to test, anyway.

Nah, optimize-offline is recommended because it's scripted and creates you a nice WIM with all the modifications, so you don't have to worry about adding them yourself, at the right time during install, etc.

>Funny, that's always the pause that IAT hooking has given me. MS likes to shuffle things around randomly.
they almost never do that to things that might break backwards compat.
>But it's easy to spot, requires fiddling with page protection, and is the breakable
there are much easier ways to break it temporarily, like SEC_NO_CHANGE, etc.. Anyways, we're loaded right after ntdll with this method, so we can manipulate userland code near unrestrictedly, including removing SEC_NO_CHANGE flag from NtProtectVirtualMemory. Let's assume they go all out, make activation process into a HVCI protected isolated process. We can still go back to the old method, just install OpenVPN TAP driver (they can't break VPNs for activation, enterprises may rely on it), and tunnel a random IP we set as KMS server to localhost, where we run a classic emulator. But anyways, most protection advances they made in the last decade was blacklisting 127.0.0.1 as KMS server.

How do I use KMS VL ALL to upgrade my home edition to pro?

Use the pro version generic key.

you don't use KMS_VL_ALL for that, that's just an activator.
Instead enter this key: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
although i'd suggest education instead: YNMGQ-8RYV3-4PGQ3-C8XTP-7CFBY

Thanks! What's the key for regular Enterprise?

tenforums.com/tutorials/95922-generic-product-keys-install-windows-10-editions.html
just try shit from here

Bandizip can preview archive files from the context menu. It also has smart extract and faster compression.

Attached: bandizip-context3.png (730x333, 18K)

you don't need any keys to 10, just run KMS_VL_ALL after it's installed and you're activated.

read the whole chain, you meed keys for changing edition on the fly

The generic key for Pro doesn't work when I try to upgrade. It says that it is not valid.

Install gentoo

Why does nobody mention that the optimize scripts break a whole bunch of shit?

i have, lurk more

Because a lot of Jow Forumsentoomen are too autistic to understand that "bloat" means different things to different people; that there's an objective list of features that are "bloat", and must be removed from every copy of Windows on Earth... and that list, of course, is at their sole discretion, and everybody is an idiot if they don't immediately agree.

which is of course the reason why the guide contains this line
>It's highly recommended (but not necessary anymore with my fork) to edit the .ps1 file yourself - at least basic PowerShell knowledge is required to edit more advanced parts of the script, however even if you're a noob you still should be able to at least review the registry section easily; add your own registry tweaks, remove existing ones you don't like, etc.

To be honest, I've never actually used it (I'm on Pro) - I thought it was menu-driven.

What are some ways to run android app with hardware accel inside windows? There's a lot of android emulators from china but they're obviously Xi's botnet

How does one "hardware accelerate" something that is meant for an entirely different ISA?

Attached: spock wtf.gif (300x225, 944K)

No it isn't, x86 android is a thing. And so is ARM64 windows and ARM64 virtualization, so the post you quoted could very well be about that too.

>x86 android
You really think all those apps on the App Store are for x86?

Attached: 1530376530046.jpg (399x582, 29K)

large majority of the apps don't use natives / NDK.
Of those that do use (that is, games with advanced graphics) large majority provides builds for all android supported platforms. Especially because android studio runs the builtin emulator natively and app devs don't want to commit suicide over emulation speed.

>large majority of the apps don't use natives
Which brings me back to my original question: how does one "hardware accelerate" something that is meant for an entirely different ISA?

Clearly the original poster wanted to hardware accelerate the android (ie, it's jvm and natives) running under the android app, not the app itself. Don't pretend to be absolutely retarded

Why limit yourself to imagination? Become a C# developer today!

Attached: 1405187473595.jpg (2400x1800, 1.15M)

But I exclusively use systemd/IBM os