OS general

Just installed Ubuntu for the first time. I've used Windows and macOS in the past. What should I know?

Also, OS general thread.

Attached: ubuntu.png (1919x1080, 946K)

Other urls found in this thread:

edx.org/course/introduction-to-linux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What should I know?
That you picked the shittiest buntu flavor.

You'll probably be back to Windows in a week.

Figured that, I was looking at this or mint since they both seem popular, so can't be that difficult to jump off from.

Attached: IMG_0937.jpg (960x749, 381K)

Does anyone else regularly change OS on their computer? For some reason I often just install new ones compulsively. I dont know why. I guess I just like that "fresh start" feeling and seeing something new

I do something similar. I'll just reformat my disk and reinstall Windows every couple of months. I wanted to see something new this time.

i get weirdly annoyed with tons of different files and them being unorganized. like i just want a new system without any bullshit

Distro hoping
I've done that for a long time, but finally I have found the one I like, and I'm still on it.

Exactly. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a file system that doesn't get all cluttered with random bullshit from normal use. It takes like 15 minutes to fully remove any program these days, I'd rather just wipe the whole fuckin thing.

Check out each Ubuntu flavor, do a bit of research, and find out what you seem attracted to. Most linux starters I knew fell into a distro hopping pitfall before they told me they actually looked up info.

Kubuntu, Xubuntu, or Lubuntu are actually good. Ubuntu is shit because Gnome is shit.

really depends on your machine

XFCE (Xubuntu) will be the smoothest on some machines. on others you will experience a lot of screen tearing on it and KDE (Kubuntu) will work better

LTSC is the best

Attached: new.jpg (4000x2560, 1.1M)

>Ubuntu
>Desktop Icons
>Fear Inoculum

Attached: 1464092534509.jpg (936x960, 302K)

ok retard

Attached: IMG_0882.png (404x268, 127K)

Install Gentoo

wallpaper please

woah nice dude a fellow tool fan who uses ubuntu

Attached: 1565920311127.jpg (720x698, 193K)

quit poopin ya pants

Not my first time installing, but I just installed it on an old Dell Studio XPS from the mid-late 2000s to use for shitposting.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-14 23-18-51.png (754x377, 79K)

Try to learn to use the terminal instead of the gui

Install Virtualbox and Win7 on VM with guest additions, enable seamless mode and start being productive with usable software.

Do people unironically listen to tool?

>usable software
Like what?
Photoshop, visual studio?
They run like shit on a VM

>What should I know?
unironically, this has everything you need to know to feel comfortable enough to stay on linux for life:
edx.org/course/introduction-to-linux

source for the icons please?

>What should I know?
dont use GUI
GUI is bad...
sudo apt-get update && upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
sudo apt search linux-headers-$(uname -r)

>week
you mean day

For me it's XFCE. Simple, powerful, and customizable while being light on resources.

Attached: DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20190914130610.png (1919x1079, 1.44M)

>CPU 100%

Attached: IMG_20190619_121233.jpg (255x290, 24K)

Learn Vim. It's a necessity if you don't plan on reinstalling the OS every time something breaks and you're forced to modify text files without a GUI.

Attached: 1_WDV-QyfTkGyyK_LNEf1efA.jpg (448x347, 16K)

Shilling for windows is like shilling for cocacola