Deteriorating rubber and "soft touch" coating

Happening to mice, cameras, trackpad pointers (joysticks), even shoes.
I'm sick of my stuff turning to slime.

Attached: index.jpg (940x705, 172K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tQ38F9GnDQM&t=7m12s
ebay.com/itm/383015243385
reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/ps2_adapters
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Wash your hands.

Then don't buy it.

Don't buy cheap garbage then.
Also this is going to happen to all rubberized coatings sooner or later.
It's why you pretty much have to replace everything rubber in a car over 25 years old if you want it to last another 25.

>Don't buy cheap garbage then.
like razer
i bought a razer mouse years ago (it was shit and broke after 2 years, their support didn't help me at all either) i kept it in a box with the intention of cannibalising parts from it at some point, but forgot about it, found it recently and the thing had turned to slush

Happened to Dell and Microsoft products. What am I supposed to buy that's safe.

Imagine the taste

Professional products and not the bargin/gamer junk

hopefully my mx master doesn't meet a similar fate. 2 years of ownership in November (black friday deal).

I notice this happens with long periods of disuse.
Like the rubber thumbsticks on my PS2 and PS3 controllers are getting sticky when I don't use them.

It's probably only a matter of time. My MX Revolution had a similar coating, though only on a portion of the mouse. It's still useable after cleaning it off.

is it the temperature when handling them or the oil from your skin that keeps them from deteriorating quickly?

youtube.com/watch?v=tQ38F9GnDQM&t=7m12s

Friendly reminder that all your hoarded thinkpads will turn to goo in 10 years.

i'd actually like that. i hate this coating shit they put on them.

Happened to an old tablet here, the back had this soft rubber area that was all sticky. But it was actually just a thin coating over hard plastic, so I rubbed it off with alcohol.

This

>What am I supposed to buy that's safe.sadface
psst.. young man
I got what you need.

Attached: s-l640.jpg (640x426, 18K)

>wires bound with rubber bands
>replace one problem with another identical one

Smoke that shit bruh, that's dmt

my car interior is covered with this shit
it's fucking hell

This happened to my Logitech MX518 after like 12 years. It made it feel weird in my hand, I had to replace it.
The replacement I bought wasn't as good, and already has a fucking issue with double middle clicks after having it for less than 2 years.

Attached: 1384653815226.gif (1000x1080, 905K)

>Lolitech
>It made it feel weird in my hand after like 12 years

That is hell indeed. Wow, I can't make any further comment. That's really bad.

It's the actual rubber deteriorating. This happens with pretty much any rubber-based product.

What are you talking about

Cum and foreskin remains

Sad but true.
Nothing lasts forever.
Not even you, user.

you can remove it with a cloth and goo gone or plastic polish
did it to a early '00s HP PDA and it worked great.

my Hori Ace Edge on the other hand is a disgusting mess and I need some kind of acid for that

If its a verry thin ruberized layer you can disassemble and whipe the affected part with an acetone soaked tissue. Be sure to stop in time because the acetone might also eat away on the hard plastic below. The surface will still be tacky untill all acetone has evaporated so let it sit over night and if its still tacky in the morning give it another go.

Attached: fix.png (642x477, 574K)

My Logitech F710 had this issue as well, pic related. It's a gamepad that is supposed to be gripped by hands, wtf they were thinking.
I just unscrewed the soft touch part, let it sink in soap solution and scrubbed the goo off with a brush. It looks a bit pale now, but at least it's not sticky anymore.

Attached: IMG_20190729_134249.jpg (2304x1728, 2.26M)

>Buying shit with polyurethane coatings in it
You only have yourself to blame, that shit literally turns rotten after some time.

Some stuff feels great but was never meant to last.
Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust.

I bought the most expensive mouse from Logitech around the mid 2000s that turned into a sticky gooey mess 10 years later.

>the actual rubber
I don't think these coatings are actual rubber, more like silicone.

Don't use shit with rubber?

Am I retarded or are you retarded.

Attached: godtier.gif (700x700, 3.89M)

I'd use isopropanol instead, it's a lot safer to use on plastics.

Alcohol doesn't work. Acetone might be too hard on the plastic below.
I used a knife on a sticky joystick and also a cheap pendrive. It was a lot of work.
Somehow the rubber becomes sticky faster if the coated thing is in a closed plastic bag.

This may sound silly but fix your diet

If that was true rubber wouldn't melt in their original box.

I wouldn't use a ball mouse even if it's made from orichalcum.

Just realized the Anker ergonomic mouse I use has this type of coating on it, fuck. I actually really like the mouse so I'll probably just clean it off when the time comes

Hate that shit. I'll often stick something in a drawer, come back to it in a few months , and it's sticky as fuck.

It seems to come in one of two forms. one appears to be a spray coating (or something to that effect.) The Targus drive was like that. I was able to remove it with Goo Gone and elbow grease. Despite the picture, it actually came out ok looking. I also had a pair of Lenovo mice I was able to clean similarly.

The other seems to be like a dip coating, or whatever it's called. I'm sure you've seen YouTube videos of some thin, patterend sheet floating on water, then they dip a helmet in, and it's perfectly covered in that pattern.

The Kobo I tried to similarly clean with GooGone but had no success. Then I heard about using rubbing alcohol. I removed the case and submerged it. After an hour, if even that long, a thin sheet fell right off the case. Now the Kobo looks like some cheap plastic thing, but it's no longer sticky.

Attached: targ.jpg (1000x570, 55K)

I told you fucks about this years ago.
I reminded you again around the time that the Buttfenix Prodigy was the popular meme case.
Don't buy shit with soft-touch paints/coatings.

They made a MsMouse with Intellitrack, it's the same sensor as the WMO1.1

>imagine touching plastic and rubber with your skin

Attached: 1545329890525.jpg (500x500, 38K)

The one I had dissolved with 99% ethanol so I went to bare hard plastic

Buy a decent Logitech mouse

I had one and it was made out of deteriorating material.
No such thing. The only decent product Logitech is left making is the K120.

This. I always wear rubber gloves to operate my computer.

>not wearing natural wool gloves
Have fun having skin cancer.

Attached: 31570_2_b.jpg (1001x1001, 234K)

then you'd always be touching rubber with your skin faggot

synthetic leather is just as cringe. fucking headphones, chair, etc. peeling black shit everywhere. never buying that garbage again if i can avoid it.

i was using soap water to clean my suff until discovered those ammonia free cleaners, you should know it as kh7.
Its almost instantly come back to new and not really need any scrubbing, just rinse it, let it dry and put back together whatever it is. It wont bring back the white on old plastic, but will pretty much clean everithing from your filthy dirt.

What are some good, lasting materials I should keep an eye out for when purchasing new shit?

Take a magic eraser. DONT wet it. Rub it against the rubber. After a few seconds it'll buff off the tacky surface. I did that a few months ago with an MX500 mouse(So a 17 year old mouse) and it feels as good as new. The soft-touch has a boring dull/matte look to it now, but i'm fine with that.

Its called butyl rubber and it sucks.

There's PBT plastic, harder than the usual ABS that's used on everything, it can withstand a lot more use before wearing down and also doesn't suffer from UV yellowing. But you're not going to find it anywhere other than keyboard keycaps and that ducky mouse.

it should depend on how thick it is though. for examply my razer artheris has actual rubber sides, not just a coating. it's a least a mm thick and I feel like getting oils from my hands will keep it from deteriorating for the life of a relatively cheap mobile mouse. this is why mice need swappable bodies like my old g9x which is still going strong, or make them out of very resistant (to human crud) plastic like POM where everything just slides off.

Harder plastic like POM feels rough to the skin, it's fine for keycaps but not so great for something you rest your entire hand on like a mouse.

How about fabric mice with removable, washable covers?

How about wooden mice?

goddamnit user

Attached: 1442754815420.gif (299x152, 1.99M)

The cover would get loose over time.
2heavy4zoomers

sounds good, i'll make the logo for our new product

intellimouse

Kek, I just remembered the first mouse was actually wooden lol

Attached: 1565711965180.jpg (2000x1200, 261K)

You sure it's the same thing? The examples listed on Wikipedia do not deteriorate into gooey mess over time, at least in my experience.

Is this an SRI mouse meant for use with NLS?
I know Doug Engelbart invented the mouse, but I've never seen a picture of one of them.

My old wireless intellimouse is sticky as fuck. Every time I pull it out to use I have to scrub down the dark grey parts with cleaning wipes or rubbing alcohol. After it's dried out it's ok, but it always gets sticky again.

Attached: 4490246651_5f45aafba3.jpg (400x400, 22K)

What is this imagine?

Try washing your hands occasionally.

So if I buy a used mouse from a girl I get t enjoy years of her ingrained sweat from the rubber coating?

Attached: rinse.gif (500x281, 709K)

this is why you buy aluminium coated E series instead of meme T series made of plastic

Not him, but I had bought 2 mice at the same time that had that crap on it. I used one until it died and when I took the 2nd from the packaging all that shit on it had already gone funky. Fuck that.

Congratulations on not having a clue what anyone in this thread is talking about.

Attached: Yup.gif (346x263, 945K)

nice dubs

last year I bought a ps/2 keyboard from a second hand store for 3 dollars, cause it was a nice clicky keyboard and I read that that ps/2 peripherals are more responsive then usb

to my surprise when I got home my desktop from 2009 was too new I guess cause it only had usb (dell xps), I thought it was old enough when I bought the keyboard, but it wasnt :(

At least you could separate the bad parts.

>Somehow the rubber becomes sticky faster if the coated thing is in a closed plastic bag.
It could be reacting to the plastic.

Attached: images.jpg (196x257, 7K)

Buy a ps2 to usb adapter, they're inexpensive.

ebay.com/itm/383015243385

Attached: imagess.jpg (1000x1000, 88K)

I heard these suck and are pretty unreliable

>Don't buy shit with soft-touch paints/coatings.
OP here, and believe me I didn't and don't. But I do come across a lot of recycled/disposed parts.

>synthetic leather
>chair
This is a plague. Sticks to skin, peels off, bits of black peelings all over, exposed black adhesive turning to powder and spreading everywhere.
I've had to rip off the whole works, then scrub the black adhesive. major pina.

stop lying and wash your greasy hands

reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/ps2_adapters
Look for an active model.

My shit mouse. Had the same shitty problem. It looks somewhat decent in the dark

Attached: IMG_20190915_235046.jpg (4000x3000, 3.88M)

My shit Razer Kraken 7.1 usb garbage deteriorated to hell. First was the padding, then usb plug and the last one was the usb cable itself. It literally rotted away in two years.

It's worth taking a $1.80 risk, isn't it?

And waiting like a month for it to arrive if you order from china

That shine actually looks visually sticky.

Then order now.

I dont want chinese garbage

It's not sticky anymore as i have scraped and rubbed all the rubber coating off hence why its so shiny.

Then don't bitch about having an unusable keyboard.

>UV yellowing

How many people actually use their mouse outdoors under the sun?

pics

UV yellowing only happens on light colors like white.

it's intentional so you buy a new one

I'll give credit to Apple that their products, while notorious for disintegration, merely turn into crumbs and don't have all the gooeyness.

Attached: index.jpg (1612x907, 265K)

Wash your fucking hands and devices, retard