Please recommend me a distro for a beginner switching to Linux

Please recommend me a distro for a beginner switching to Linux.
I've asked around and read a few articles, and I can't fucking decide between Mint Cinnamon, Manjaro, KDE Neon and Kubuntu. I could just pick one and be done with it but my autism prevents me from that and I'm stuck in analysis paralysis. Please help. What are the differences, which one should I pick and why?

Attached: dsadadd.jpg (474x523, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
github.com/aljex/mainline
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Mint Cinnamon, Manjaro, KDE Neon and Kubuntu
For a personal computer, KDE is a the way to go.

Every now and then you see some asshole here say "why can't linux do ____?" Whatever it was, KDE could do it, they were just using some other dipshit DE.

I'm using Manjaro KDE (which I call ManDE) right now actually

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

why not just use normal ubuntu lol

But GNUH or GANOO sounds gay

Just install Ubuntu. It has the most support.

But I hate Gnome, so I'd choose Kubuntu. Does that make a difference?
Also, I've heard people say Mint is basically just Ubuntu in better. Is that true?

Mint is basically Ubuntu Cinnamon. Personally I do think Cinnamon is a better environment than most of what Ubuntu offers. But there isn't a huge difference.

For a beginner I would go with Kubuntu or Mint Cinnamon. Xubuntu is also pretty good and basic, but on my machine is produces awful screen tearing, and it seems like a common problem, but maybe you'd have more luck. OS's are pretty easy and quick to install, so switching isnt a big deal.

I swappped from Windows to Manjaro XFCE. I'll never go back. Rolling release hasn't been an issue once. Setting up Wifi was a mild pain in the ass, but I haven't had an issue since installation day. (install the driver so it updates with new kernels).
If you ever set up a computer in the 1990's, modern Linux setup is a fucking breeze compared to how it used to be. We're just spoiled now.

xubuntu

setting up something like ubuntu or mint is literally easier than windows

don't
it has overhead when you play a video and will make your desktop use feel bad

manjaro is a great choice,just remember it's rolling,so its not stable

just go with KDE Neon because KDE is awesome.

Stallman thinks it's because of political scheming by Linus that people don't call it "GNU/Linux", but you're right. The real reason is simply because "GNU" is a dumb fucking word.

I would honestly say Manjaro. When you're first switching over to Linux, one of the hardest things is going to be adjusting to the new way(s) of installing software, and getting what software you want. If it's not in your repos, then it becomes a pain of managing various software sources or compiling your own stuff. By contrast, the AUR has practically every piece of software you could want. Furthermore, being rolling release means you're not going to be stuck with outdated packages--people will complain about stability, but I've never really had any issues with them and most others seem to echo that sentiment, and in my experience with point release distros, they break horribly each major release upgrade anyway.

Mint is okay, but the packages are pretty outdated since it's based on Ubuntu LTS. Kubuntu and KDE Neon are pretty much the same exact thing except KDE Neon gets rolling-release updates to KDE itself. I'd personally say Neon is preferable to Kubuntu, especially since KDE is being developed at such a rapid pace these days and there's always fucktons of new features and bugfixes.

not op but I will join since I want to install some ganoo slash linux

how much bloat does ubuntu have, it seems like it comes with a lot of preinstalled shit I will never use
I need something not bloated but accessible at the same time I mean I don't want to compile every program I want to use from the source or something
thought about debian but you can't even apt install normal firefox there

>setting up something like ubuntu or mint is literally easier than windows
Then I don't see what the problem is. Microsoft should be filing for bankruptcy. Youngfags don't know how easy they have it. Being afraid to swap to something that is allegedly easier than Manjaro was sounds, to GenX ears, like millenials are a bunch of chickenshits. The modern computer experience is a normie walk in the park on a lazy Sunday afternoon.
Getting a fucking VCR to work when I was a kid was harder than installing Manjaro.

>The real reason is simply because "GNU" is a dumb fucking word.
I agree. It's not edgy to ignore the role vowels play in word structure. It's failing to craft a word.

GNU is cancelled, it's only Linux now

Also "Linux" sounds like something neutral (as in you dont have the image of some stupid fruit or animal in mind) and tech related. It sounds nice.
GNU sounds retarded.

>When you're first switching over to Linux, one of the hardest things is going to be adjusting to the new way(s) of installing software, and getting what software you want.
If we all agreed to start calling it the "Linux Play Store" instead of the "Package Manager" then everyone would immediately understand how linux works and Widows would die in 18 months.

>which I call
faggot detected

Kubuntu

after installation:
$ sudo apt install linux-lowlatency

thank me later

Attached: kubuntu1904-kde-plasma-516.png (1378x872, 310K)

Do you like a macOS-like GUI? Elementary OS is the way to go. If you prefer a Windows GUI, anything KDE, really. Mint is the most Windows-like.

Attached: _Stallman_quote.jpg (758x688, 79K)

>and in my experience with point release distros, they break horribly each major release upgrade anyway.
I don't have any experience wtih point release, but this is why I chose rolling release. I haven't had any minor issues, but I'd rather deal with issues as minor issues. I read a lot of testimonials about the annual releases breaking everything. No thanks. Big pain in the ass once a year sounds wors than maybe a small pain in the ass here and there.
I think I made the right decision. I'm about six months in and not even a minor issue. I have zero complaints with Manjaro.
To the contrary. I'm an evangelist. I'm trying to convince everyone I know to make the swap. Qute is the browser I've always wanted and now I've found it.
I really only regret taking as long as I did (thank you MSFT for ending support on Windows 2007.)

Mint should be your primary option. It's basically Ubuntu that fixes some UX issues like kernel management, tearing, UI, etc.
Manjaro is similar to Mint and it does some things better and has some better defaults, but it can be unstable (nothing too serious). It's also based on something that's not Ubuntu/Debian which means most normie guides won't work for you unless you already somewhat understand Linux.
Kubuntu is just Ubuntu KDE and KDE Neon is like a bare bones Kubuntu with up-to-date KDE packages.

You should just choose distros depending on the DE you want. It's the simplest way of distro picking if you're a beginner. I'd recommend Ubuntu based distros:
Mint Xfce
Mint Cinnamon
Kubuntu (KDE)
Ubuntu MATE
Ubuntu Budgie
PopOS or Ubuntu (GNOME)
Deepin

Personally I consider KDE and Xfce the best DEs. KDE has a ton of features (but it's apps look like trash) while Xfce is stable, fast, easy to use and customizable. Cinnamon is also good, but I'd install xfce4-panel on it because imho it's better than the Cinnamon panel. The rest of DEs are pretty shit. MATE is mediocre. Budgie is just GNOME with a slightly better UI and no lag. GNOME is a dumbed down android-like (touch focused) DE with a ton of UI and performance issues and a diabolical lack of settings. I find GNOME/Budgie unusable due to GNOME settings which are shit compared to KDE/Xfce/Cinnamon and because GNOME is slow as hell.
There's also some other DEs/distros which are aimed at nostalgiafags. Pantheon (ElementaryOS) is customized to look like MacOS, Trinity (Q4OS) looks like a mix between WinXP and Win2k.

Kubuntu is ass, Neon and OpenSUSE are the way to go.

Xubuntu

linux is the kernel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel
oh wait is not
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

to compile programs from source, do you pretty much have to uncomment the src-deb lines in sources.list? or is that unnecessary?

Youre pretty convincing. I might try it out.

you're told what to do on the project github page. it's usually just "apt install these dependencies" then "bash install.sh" or "make/gmake" then "sudo make install"

>DE
literally why not just use a wm

>in my experience with point release distros, they break horribly each major release upgrade anyway.
I didn't have any issues on Xubuntu which I still use today, but upgrading Ubuntu to the next point release (back when it used Unity) would break a lot of shit. The system was still usable but there was some duplication in the UI and a few other issues. The problem is too much is being updated at once. On rolling release you'll update shit every week and never "upgrade"to the next point release and even if you do it will be a very minor update compared to stable distros. So if anything ever breaks it's usually much easier to figure out what went wrong on rolling relase.

Every DE uses a wm. The answer is DEs are more convenient.

When I was you, I tried Zorin OS...I liked it.

some things i look at say "Depending on your configuration you may need to uncomment the deb-src repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list"

>GNOME is a dumbed down android-like (touch focused) DE with a ton of UI and performance issues and a diabolical lack of settings
To its credit, GNOME has a visually consistent UI, is pretty stable, and has an efficient workflow if you learn the keyboard shortcuts. The most recent release (which just came out a day or two ago I think) also supposedly focused a ton on performance improvements, but I haven't tried it out yet.

this

Everyone of those is a great choice but Manjaro

Mint, Neon and Kubuntu are all based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Manjaro is based on an unstable meme distro that breaks things for fun. The real problem seems to be KDE vs Cinnamon.

I see people recommending Kubuntu more and more recently, why is that?

>Manjaro is based on an unstable meme distro that breaks things for fun
You don't have to run the experimental kernel. You can sit back two weeks from the absolute edge and get rolling releases through the stable kernel. Haven't had a problem yet in six months, and if I ever do, it will be easy to identify and fix.
I really don't see how it doesn't make more logical sense, rather than update everyhting all at once annually. That sounds like a much bigger headache.

Should make the G silent so you call it nu(g)nu/linux like the numale users it caters to.

Kubuntu vs KDE Neon. Which one and why? Isnt KDE Neon just Kubuntu with the KDE part getting more frequent updates? If so, there is zero reason to use Kubuntu right?

Beginners should start with Solus especially if you come from Windows.
Everybody else will eventually switch to void anyways.

>meme distro maintained by a few people
no ty

What are some ways to run android apps with hardware acceleration under linux? there's a couple but they're either buggy as fuck or incomplete/no acceleration (anbox, etc)
I'm actually unironically considering windows, since it can run/virtualize basically any OS effortlessly regardless if its botnet (those chinky android players)

>sudo apt install linux-lowlatency
Why?

If you used windows before, go to Linux mint cinnamon.
>t. switched between Ubuntu, Kubuntu, ManDE, MX Linux, Mint

Attached: makecinnamonlookgood.png (1600x900, 1.57M)

For an absolute beginner definitely mint cinnamon or XFCE. KDE is great and all but it's slow and often buggy, if you do pick it don't come making threads like "i thought Linux was supposed to be more stable I'm switching back to Wincuck"

can recommend manjaro with kde

It doesn't matter you won't even notice the differences unless you are hardcore gnu/loonix autist

get CentOS

Manjaro because AUR, thank me later

If you're coming from Windows, definitely Linux Mint.

Guys, I'm also planning to switch to Linux from Win 7.

How are things nowadays with gaming on Linux?

I'm a gamer and I wouldn't like to use Win 10.

But will I be able to play anything through Proton API and/or Wine?

I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to Linux, so I don't have a clue if I need to create a dual boot Linux/Win 10 system, or Linux and the new developments get my (mostly pirating) gaming needs covered.

Some enlightenment about the matter would be much appreciated.

You mean, you're switching to GNU, the GNU OS from the GNU project.

I have no clue. All I know currently is I'm planning to switch to either Linux Mint or Manjaro.

It's GNU Mint and Manjaro GNU.

>all these recommendations for Mint
Former Windows user currently using Mint here.

I thought the Linux community thought Mint was absolute shit. At least, that's the impression I've been getting. (Apparently there were some security issues in the past, people make a big deal out of it being a "FrankenDebian", etc. Also, all the usual "it's not OpenSUSE so it sucks ass" etc.) But I'm not seeing any of that in this thread. Maybe I should feel less bad about using it.

To be honest, I don't have some compelling reason for using Mint in particular. Mint was third on my list of distros to try, and was the first that didn't piss me off.

1. Ubuntu felt like shit to use, and I didn't feel like hacking it into something acceptable when 999999 other distros exist.
2. Debian wouldn't work for me. Reasons, I guess. Probably drivers.
3. Mint worked and I haven't personally had a problem with it.

>Please recommend me a distro for a beginner switching to Linux.
Use Mint.

Also, do not be confused about which desktop is the default for each distro.
You can install whatever desktop you want on any distro you want-- this isn't Windows or Mac where you're just stuck with the default desktop.

>Kubuntu is ass
This. I've been meaning to wipe Kubuntu install for months now. Shit feels like it's held together with bubble gum and ready to crash all of the time.It's probably the worst distro I've ever used..

There's also the LTS kernel option for people who actually buy into the instability meme.

I'm completely new to Linux too. Installed Xubuntu and I couldn't be happier. XFCE looks great and it only uses like 500mb of RAM on its own. Has a nice software store with a clear GUI and anything you don't know you can google up in like 3 seconds. Pic related, it's my Xubuntu install.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-09-15_19-28-03.png (1600x900, 1.07M)

Very informative regarding my gaming question, thank you, user.

Don't install Manjaro as a new user, it WILL break and then you'll be left grasping for straws trying to troubleshoot. Probably should stick to something Ubuntu based, KDE neon isn't bad, but if you did want a rolling release openSUSE Tumbleweed is much better than anything Arch based as the updates are tested before release.

Manjaro is not a beginner OS
Manjaro isn't more stable or secure than Arch

non, they all suck and are ugly as shit

Maybe I'm underestimating where I fall on the tech aptitude spectrum, but I didn't have any major difficulty with Manjaro.
I had to learn how kernels work, and which one I want. I had to learn how to install a driver. Then I had to learn how to install it in such a way that it will update with each new kernel.
That took maybe two hours. I haven't had a peep of trouble since.
Way, way easier than any computer setup was in the 1990s. I consider my experience a minimal trouble experience.

Just go Ubuntu and then you can switch later if you want.

There's no advantage to using Manjaro, only disadvantages. If you can install Manjaro you can install Arch and avoid any AUR incompatibilities and the Arch wiki will fully apply to you.

You can choose minimal install in ubuntu installer, It doesnt have any bloat.

I have the same question. Please and thank you in advance.

i'm interested too
more inclined to install kubuntu
system updates seem more important than some shitty gui fixes

I'm unironically coming to that conclusion. I'll likely reinstall with just Arch and drop Manjaro all together. That just didn't seem like the best way to get my feet wet.
I've spent recent spare time focusing more on learning to write Bash scripts. Manjaro hasn't bothered me beyond I'd rather rebuild myself, but I'm not in a hurry.
As far as whether noobs can handle Manjaro, I think it's the most logical noob entry point.

Since you seem to want KDE you should consider openSUSE. Quite a few KDE developers use it and it probably has the fastest perfomance from their implementation of KDE. Has both stable and rolling release. Other benefits are, if you use the rolling release it gets tested and stabilized before releases unlike other RR distros, and everytime you use the package manager it saves a temporary snapshot so you can roll back if something broke. Ive tried many distros and I like tumbleweed for the latest packages and it just works.

Dont give up if you dont like manjaro.
My suggestions would be Linux mint and Ubuntu/flavor. Cinnamon is the best option if you are coming from windows.

Kubuntu has more desktop software pre-installed. KDE Neon is more minimalistic and aimed at KDE devs and testers, but it can still be used as a desktop OS. Neon benefits from faster updates of KDE software, but you can enable this behaviour on Kubuntu by just changing PPAs (software sources). They're almost identical though, they're both based on the same version of Ubuntu. I personally didn't feel the difference between the two other than Neon not having some software pre-installed. I'd say Kubuntu is more desktop-ready, even though I'd personally make it use the Neon PPAs.
Take this information with a grain of salt because it's been almost a year since I last used the two distros.
If you're just starting out with Linux (which I assume you are) KDE might be overwhelming because it's the most powerful and functional DE, but some parts of it are kinda confusing especially the defaults.

Gaming is pretty good on Linux unless you play garbage games. Steam games can be installed through Steam Play, while others can be installed on Lutris just as easily. PlayOnLinux is another GUI for WINE but you have to spend a few minutes learning it, I personally use it for older games like Heroes 3 and Warcraft 3.
Anything that depends on anti-cheat software, uplay or some heavy DRM will not work, hence why I sad garbage games won't work. Normie things like LoL and Fortnite are easy to install on Lutris (you literally just click "install" and everything is automated) and there's plenty of popular games that run natively like Minecraft, CSGO, TF2.
If you want to just game I'd recommend Manjaro Xfce. You might encounter a bug or two because it's a rolling release, but it comes with a fuck ton of dependencies/tools pre-installed (like Java, adb) and even Steam is pre-installed. If you get lost on Manjaro because it's Arch based then go with Mint because Ubuntu tutorials will work on it.
Ignore the GNUtard who replied to you, he's trolling.

You can play like all games. I even had a better experience with some games. If the game isnt on steam you can run it easily via lutris. Steam is also making a new compiler that will be much better than wine/proton.

Reading this thread with the same question and after 80 replies its still Ubuntu with KDE, Mint Cinnamon, Manjaro or openSUSE

>try them all and find the best for you
i think there is no other way but it will take so much time.

Mint Xfce or Cinnamon
Kubuntu
Manjaro Xfce or KDE

openSUSE is definitely not a good beginner choice. Mint/Ubuntu benefit from the community, forums and software developers, Manjaro benefits from AUR and arch wiki. openSUSE isn't bad but it doesn't have anything of relevance for a beginner except maybe YaST.

Just get Mint. Only bother switching to something else if Mint is not working for you in some way.

t. I have a machine with Arch and a machine with Mint. Mint is great, reliable and easy and cinnamon is a perfect mix of familiarity and usability. Fuck Manjaro.

>For an absolute beginner definitely mint cinnamon or XFCE. KDE is great and all but it's slow and often buggy,
For some reason, KDE is a lot smoother and stable on my computer than XFCE. I quickly switched to Kubuntu from Xubuntu for that reason. Maybe Xubuntu just didnt like my graphics card

>I thought the Linux community thought Mint was absolute shit.
Really? I never heard that. I thought Mint was always considered one of the most solid and easy to use distros that was a nice transition from Windows. Ubuntu is the one that always got the hate, from what I noticed. I mean a lot of people use Mint for a reason, its because Cinnamon is a great DE and Ubuntu is annoying to use.

I believe all the ones you listed can be tested as a live usb. Try them all a bit and see which you like best.

Dude just go with Mint Cinnamon. everyone knows that the beginner distros are Ubuntu and Mint, and Mint is probably a bit easier since it feels a lot like Windows whereas normal Ubuntu feels like Mac OS.

>Manjaro benefits from AUR and arch wiki
Manjaro doesn't officially support AUR and if you want to follow the arch wiki you're better off installing Arch. Rolling release distros are not for beginners.

if you want KDE, go with OpenSuse
Otherwise stick with Ubuntu.

There was/is a video on youtube for like 2012 or so with the guy in charge of Google's internal desktop systems. They run Goobuntu which is their own roll of Ubuntu. However, he said its 98% stock other than the software needed to interface with their proprietary systems. He explains that it would be a huge waste of time and resources to run and maintain a whole bunch of custom stuff. If Ubuntu is good enough for Google its good enough for most people.

Kubuntu from the one you picked, it has the most support and it's the easiest for a beginner. You should try Slackware though, it's not hard to use but you really will learn a lot from it.

Xubuntu devs don't put any effort into their OS. They just slap Xfce ontop of Ubuntu and call it a day. Mint (and Manjaro) devs actually try to fix issues surrounding Xfce, for example screen tearing was completely fixed on Mint and Manjaro a long time ago.

It's usually the elitists who claim everything is bloat. Because Mint is based on Ubuntu and Ubuntu is based on Debian, therefore in their mind it's better to just use Debian or maybe Ubuntu and then switch to Debian. I harshly disagree and think Mint is a more polished Ubuntu, which is a more polished Debian. So I'd say there's no reason not to use Mint unless the DE you want isn't a default (like KDE) or if you're a Debian/Ubuntu developer. As a desktop OS, Mint is clearly better. Debian/Ubuntu are more suited for servers.

Rolling release is better for normies especially if they use AMD GPUs. Imagine being stuck on an old piece of software and told you have to update manually by dicking around with PPAs or the terminal. I've had a fuck ton of issues on stable release distros because LTS kernels don't get latest drivers, my GPU had garbage performance for a year. Manjaro is just as easy if not easier than Mint, and it doesn't default into using untested kernel builds. The only reason it's awkward is because most people will tell you "sudo apt install this", but you can just search for software inside the pamac-manager. You won't have stability issues if you're on a solid DE like Xfce. I don't consider "stable release" distros suitable for desktop use unless you literally do nothing other than use your web browser and a few apps.

kde neon seems like a worse choice than kubuntu now, why would I want to be on some old kernel for two years with outdated drivers
you can always install backports to kubuntu

I was you one year ago OP, let me save you a a lot of time and heartache. Install KDE Neon.

elaborate.

what's the deal with manjaro? honestly i have hardly ever heard of it but so many people are bringing it up. is it really that good?

No it's just heavily shilled by people who want Arch but are too dumb to copy and paste some commands. It's unstable, and WILL break on you.

this. If you want it to be easy and "just work", use ubuntu. Later, if you want to learn how linux actually works, install arch or gentoo or something and it'll force you to learn the lower level stuff.

How do you know you hate gnome? Because you've heard other people talk shit on it? I don't use it, but if you're really just switching to linux, this makes no sense...

Doesn't Neon also use the LTS kernel unless you use the developer version? Anyways, this completely circumvents the shitty state of kernel updates on Ubuntu distros:
github.com/aljex/mainline

I wouldn't trust him. KDE Neon was unstable as fuck a year or two ago. It would crash and break constantly.

It's an ultra-normie distro. It comes with Steam, Microsoft Office 365, Java (for Minecraft children) and some other useful shit, and looks and feels like Mint except it gets new software versions much sooner which is great for AMD users and people using Proton because mesa updates hit you sooner. It also has AUR support in it's software center so you get easy access to more obscure and even proprietary shit, it's much easier to install software this way than anything Ubuntu derivatives offer (which usually boils down to copy pasting terminal commands, adding PPAs or downloading .deb files).

>I don't know what I'm talking about
Saying people who want Arch use Manjaro is like saying people who want Debian use Ubuntu. Manjaro is just a usable OS by default and is more convenient. For most people convenience is probably the most imporant factor when choosing a distro. The more it is like they want it out of the box, the better. Arch is almost a blank slate, and only "power users" need this.

I had to use it on a pc at work. I liked using Linux in general and read a bit about it, which made me consider switching for myself but I hated the gnome interface/DE/whatever you call it