Commander X 16

Do you guys remember 8bitguy promising a retro 8bit PC for 50bux? Well price is now 300 dollaroonies. How can one fail so hard with only feature that mattered? I'm lost for word, how!?

Attached: failurex16.jpg (1640x720, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/sg-6Cjzzg8s
youtube.com/watch?v=LnzuMJLZRdU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He made a 40 minute video explaining how.

If you want to play with the computer without paying anything there's an emulator available for free. Or you could just emulate the C64/VIC20 with VICE, which is also free.

I like the 8bitguy's videos, especially his (no joke) 8-bit computer videos about early-to-mid 1980s computers, before Microsoft Windows ate the world.

So, .. uh, what? I don't remember any of this.
Link pls?

That's only phase 1. Phase 3 will be under $100. Did you even watch the video?

>Well price is now 300 dollaroonies
Did you miss the section immediately afterwards where he said that was the price for the devboard, and that he planned to downscale the design to an SBC and sell it for the originally intended cost?

Here's the link. Go to 20:30:
youtu.be/sg-6Cjzzg8s

Just use some breadboards and build a 6502 pc from scratch yourself
youtube.com/watch?v=LnzuMJLZRdU

i heard you talk shit bitch

Attached: 1566509174669.webm (852x480, 999K)

Attached: 1519253757274.webm (800x450, 2.11M)

Attached: 1561354393057.webm (852x478, 2.58M)

He has a nice series on networking, really ties the physical with digital using oscilloscope to sniff traffic

Discrete board components cost more than a system on a chip, even if the discrete components are very old.

They still produce 6502 chips

The only thing that freaked me out in this video here is it they're thinking of using some obsolete chip to create the sounds. They shouldn't do this. They should use some commercial off-the-shelf sound chip that is still being manufactured today. New old stock is not the way to go.

This guy is totally relaxing. I could listen to him all day. It's not quite the same thing though. Whereas the eight bit guy is more about a computer system, your video is more about the hardware.

>OP makes thread like a lefty SJW jurnalist
>cherry picks shit and lies
>people don't fall for this shit since they saw the actual video

Based. OP BTFO.

The guy bridges the gap between hw and software like noone else, check his disassembly of prime counting program and implementing it with a switch on breadboard computer, literally makes machine code understandable by normies

Boomers of Jow Forums prefer member berries of 'but C64' and apparently 1mil youtubers too, how strange

>please massively buy our 300 dolla prototypes and then do it again but for 200 dolla so we can actually deliver an under 100 dolla product
how can this plan possibly fail?

If he release the HDL for the GPU somebody can probably put it together with an open source 6502 core and a few other components and it could be used on cheap fpga boards for a price lower than anything his team could do.

I hope this Commander X 16 thing actually turns into a commercial product. If I understand correctly, the ideas to open this up to a kickstarter at some point.

Why would you want this over anything else? The whole idea is that an 8-bit system is just the right amount of computer that is powerful enough to do cool things but at the same time be simple enough that you can understand the entire thing, both hardware and software. There should be no mystery, no dependencies, no nothing where you're just "hope it works".

Attached: 6415FC5A-6FD0-41E9-BA33-701DB4E177FB.jpg (600x615, 156K)

kek

That's literally every R&D roadmap.

>8bitguy promising a retro 8bit PC for 50bux
He said he wanted to make it no more than 100 Dollars.
>didn't even watch the video
opisafaggot.ofc

I'm not against this, but the asking price is just too damn high. when you can get C64 or Atari 260ST for a fraction of that price, it doesn't seem fun anymore. 150 would be acceptable but 300 is just not a price i'm willing to pay.

I can't wait for it. it will be a very nice tool to learn how to write machine code though the only thing that sucks is that he has the fucking community on facebook

Just use a fucking emulator if you actually want to learn, reasons for going with real hw are not for learning

well aware of that but I want to own the machine too

Then not only you can buy multiple 6502 machines for 300, you can also buy and build one yourself with breadboards, you're just boomer memberberry fanboi

Well, at least the Yamaha chip they're thinking of going with sounds 10,000x better than what they were planning on going with before, which just sounded like a shitty version of the SID.

yeah I also want to support boomer. why are you so against my decision of getting one?
the AY is a fantastic sound chip

>but 300 is just not a price i'm willing to pay
then don't buy the fucking dev board

This. A lot of the appeal of the project (to me, anyway) was that you could get something that was, in effect, a C64, but half the cost and with slightly less limiting/new production hardware. There's little point to buy the $300 board, but I have no doubt that fucktons of people will buy it just because it's made by the 8-Bit Guy, so hopefully his future endeavors get funded and they can lower the cost of the board.

Main problem with this is: 95% of buyers will never code a single line, the dozen or so programs that can run on it written in 6 months just shows you have a group of 20 enthusiasts, 1 mil subscribers will buy this, run his shitty c64 game on it once and that's it, noone will target this as a real platform, so 'the wholr c64 coding scene' cannot be relied on as source, it will be just be a faster c64, but without emulator yay

Maybe some nignog will write a c64 compatibility program

I just don't see the sense in designing a computer intended to more-or-less be a souped up C64, but with a worse soundchip, which is half of the appeal of a C64.

the chad stride

It is supposed to be c64 compatible from the get go, but all the extra bells and whistles for 250$ will be just that, one demo here and one program there, better to buy a real c64 if that is what you want to run on it

Don't we have various little ARM boards for that niche?

8 bit computers are fucking dum I'm not getting out of bed for anything less than a 256-bit ternary computer.

Yeah you can implement everything on a raspberry pi, but muh real hw is so old school and people will pay 300 for that retro look and feel

you're right. that would've made no sense. I'm also worried about them using the ym chip since those also aren't being produced anymore. I bet he will change that in the last minute

I wonder how much the total cost with case and everything will be compared to the mega65.

Using old stock sound chips is a horrible idea. Just use a modern sound chip and expose an interface to it that works like you want. Even better just have the audio and video handled by the VERA, and expose a simple interface for it in the IO space like you did for video. Choosing a chip that isn't even made anymore for a new product is nonsense.

Pretty sure they are farming comments on yt/fb now to see how much they can skin their audience, plenty of whales shouting 300 is not even as much as they thought it will be seeing how great of a project it is, only to throw it in the wardrobe after playing the 256 colour image demo once they get it, again, noone in the c64 scene will target this, it's a retro junk from the start, b-b-but muh retro memberberries

You are totally missing the point here. This would be a great introduction to computers at either high school or university level. This really brings stuff down to basics in a way that it is accessible while at the same time using standard componentry. It's not just a "Boomer" thing.

That said, if you just wanna run and existing Commodore 64, then give this thing a pass.

BS, 6502 chips are still produced all you need is raspi with 6502, he's going for memberberries, look the ben eater and hello world on 6502 and breadboards, that would be good for schools as it teaches you something, not this nonsense

A reproduction c64 board costs less than his memeproject

Attached: c64rmk2_serie1-99c9c59f.jpg (1500x1031, 135K)

That is true, and also the board you posted is super awesome.

But you missed the point. He wanted something where you don't have to harvest chips from an existing Commodore 64 in order to get it to work. The Individual Computers new motherboards need those chips.

But the xyz quality, they want that retro, that is surely great for teaching and skinning followers

>Do you guys remember 8bitguy promising a retro 8bit PC for 50bux? Well price is now 300 dollaroonies.
300. lmao. because of course it is. when are people going to wake up to the fact that 8bitboomer is nothing but an e-begging con artist that knows absolutely nothing about everything?

I was thinking that everything that can't be sourced today could be replaced with a DIP compatible FPGA module.

Attached: IMG_9845.jpg (3072x2048, 1.71M)

>He wanted something where you don't have to harvest chips from an existing Commodore 64 in order to get it to work.
his plan was to build an original machine using the money leeched out of his fan base. it was supposed to be like a c64 but would have far worse graphics and sound abilities. they planned on doing something similar to the c64 but when david and others working on it realized they were all dangerously incompetent and had no idea what they were doing, they chose to do something similar to how the vic20 worked. They keep trying to associate Commodore's history into this shitfest because David thinks his system will appeal to Commodore fans. What David doesn't understand is how most Commodore fans know he's a fucking idiot that has no idea what he's talking about.
> The Individual Computers new motherboards need those chips.
they're selling SID chips now so that's one less chip to source, not that it matters, c64 is cheap and plentiful. commodore made millions of the things.

*makes 60k a from posting 1 video a month*

> making videos and scabbing money off of views means he knows something!
> ignore my massive IRS debt i'm struggling to pay off
stay mad, david. your day at the end of a rope is coming very soon.

> fpga sid
disgusting. real sid or gtfo.

Wow, are you ever full of piss and vinegar.
Why all the hate?

schizoposters gonna schizo

is Schizo the new epic hater meme?

> everyone is a samefag!
take your autism and feels to reddit, you dribbling fucking spastic. we have zero time or respect for parasites like 8bitboomer or any youtubing faggot.

You are obviously the same guy.
You just woke up, turned on your computer, found this thread, and started spouting off in one post after another in rapid succession.
Maybe you need to calm down.
Maybe you need to stop hurling insults at the other Anons.

you're obviously a pathetic shill that loves to suck on the microcock of a manchild with severe intellectual disabilities. you and david should kill yourselves as soon as possible.
> be 8bitcancer
> release an emulator
> emulator isn't complete
> emulator fails to support many features needed to develop anything for it
LMAO

Attached: 1550146089561.png (683x700, 28K)

I don't understand what it is but I find theses retro computing YouTubers so fucking repulsive.

Attached: 1557278993251.jpg (813x720, 122K)

>animeposter
you probably weigh twice what he does

anime website..

Attached: animehuuletrutussa.jpg (699x720, 155K)

I think it's because they all look the same, balding, glasses, poorly maintained stubble, slightly too young to have actually properly grown up with most of the hardware they're reviewing, etc.

>they planned on doing something similar to the c64 but when david and others working on it realized they were all dangerously incompetent and had no idea what they were doing
yeah, their claim of 8mhz just doesn't work with this chip, max is 2mhz, we're gonna look for another chip, is showing so much, just fucking pass the signals 1/4th the speed, you can either do this in sw or hw, but paypiggies will eat it up

>c64 is cheap and plentiful
A lot of people don't actually realize this, I find game collectors hilarious when they describe something costing $400 as rare.

and Jow Forums thinks 400 dollar gpus are expensive

Actually something I legitimately don't understand is how a copy of a book that sold millions of copies is more expensive than a c64.

That lady vanishing behind the tree gets me every time.

a $400 GPU isn't expensive when you consider it's the lastest tech
$400 for an very old computer that can't be purchased new anymore is a bit steep for anyone who isn't fully ingrained to the hobby yet

>$400 for an very old computer that can't be purchased new anymore is a bit steep for anyone who isn't fully ingrained to the hobby yet
C64's cost $100 NOS.

>$400 for an very old computer
except the 6502 chips are still being produced, they are not setting up a c64 buyback in india with pajeets ripping old chips and refurbishing them, that could actually be expensive, they are going with off the shelf components

In what fucking world?

Pro-tip: Europe.

>8bitgoy has never heard of degreaser

Attached: maxresdefault8bit.jpg (1280x720, 166K)

g