What exactly made 90s computing so magical and how do we recreate it on modern systems?

What exactly made 90s computing so magical and how do we recreate it on modern systems?

Attached: 8725092_orig.png (610x406, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/SerenityOS/serenity/
youtube.com/watch?v=h4CI9lCqgSg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You cant. Competent people is limited.

It was magical to you because Winkiddies were a decade late to the party that Mac users had been having all along.

>What exactly made 90s computing so magical
Your nostalgia.
>how do we recreate it on modern systems?
Download an iso of an older OS and run it. You won't, though, because you actually enjoy the benefits of a modern OS.

90's computing was far from magical. it was kind of laborious at times (especially on PC) and fucking slow.
why on earth would we want to go back into the past? we've all moved on.
>Mac users had been having all along
and amiga, atari st, certain unix distros.. hell, even the c64 had a GUI OS called GEOS (1985 or so). mac's operating system couldn't even compete against amiga's OS or windows until the latter part of the 1990s. so don't try and kid yourself into believing otherwise.

Nothing.
It's all nostalgia.

Nothing. I regularly boot up your retro PC to never forget how shitty things were.

Computing was new and exciting, it's not anymore.

Macs were very rare outside US, that is why this GUI thing started much later with windows.

github.com/SerenityOS/serenity/

Baby duck syndrome.
In reality, you saw pic related just as much as you saw your pic.

Attached: 9x-bsod.jpg (700x357, 27K)

Some things ware better

Computing seemed new to you
Now its life, its involved in everything, and you literally sit in front of a screen 10 hours a day

How did you get reversi on 3.1? I only had Minesweeper and Solitare.

Exciting new developments for the end user. You can't really recreate that in a reliable fashion.
Also a different social context in the pre-twitter world.

>You won't, though, because you actually enjoy the benefits of a modern OS.
This isn't really a fair comparison. The frustrations of the past were often less frustrating than they appear today because there wasn't an easier alternative available to compare it to. It's one thing to use Windows 3.1 when everyone is using it and nobody's used 7, and quite another thing to use Windows 3.1 while everyone else is using Windows 7-10.

>15 minute boots
>magical

What the fuck are you doing on your pc that requires blazing fast boot times? I just don't get what the fuck is up with these muh boottime faggots.

no women or niggers

nostalgia aka mental illness

op destroyed with facts and logic

>The frustrations of the past were often less frustrating than they appear today because there wasn't an easier alternative available to compare it to.
Yeah try setting up a LAN prior to windows XP
it usually involved occult rituals

>implying it didnt boot faster than modern bloat even on the shitty old hardware of the time.

it didnt

You must be underage

sorry kiddo, I grew up on 90's hardware. It sucked

Windows gave the user complete control of the system back then. You could completely destroy the OS if you wanted. There was no social media, trannies were barely a thing, and fags and women were kept in their place. Income inequality had not skyrocketed and we didn’t have to worry about Hajjis decapitating people on the streets. Computing was white and male and no one questioned it.

Nah man, what you're describing is mid '80s before Ethernet ate the world.
Death to token ring!

I completely destroyed Windows 10 the first time I installed it trying to get it to be a non-shit operating system

My first PC was Win3.1 and I am certain it booted faster than Win7. Are you mistaking SDD as reflecting on the UX from the software itself? Retards.

>even the c64 had a GUI OS called GEOS (1985 or so)
conveniently forgetting to mention PC GEOS

Toss 600MB/s of saturated SATAlll bandwidth at whatever shitfuck OS you have and it will laugh.

SSD not SDD

It is still Function>Fashion

people were skilled back in the days
today you have mostly javascript monkeys thinking they are actual engineers

For users without knowledge of DOS, and without experience on Mac or the X Windows System, it seemed like you could really do something with your computer. It was a big jump for them. There were many, many such users.

Today, everyone is used to the window/mouse model.

C64 GEOS came first, then the Apple II port, and only later GEOS for IBM PCs.
Source: Me. I was there. I lived it.

Everyone who used Windows 3.x also used DOS

Install templeOS

As an oldfag who grew up with it, much of iit is nostalgia. Yes, we did learn a lot of about how our computers worked at times just to get things done. I can recall how you had to ensure you had enough HIMEM in order to launch your game from DOS and manually set IRQ ports lest something would collide and fuck over whatever you were doing. It really wasn't a better system overall, necessarily and there's a lot of nostalgia. Its worth noting that back in these days the farther back you go, the more money things cost and the less you got PROPORTIONALLY. I can remember when the first AGP GPUs came out and they all cost like hundreds upon hundreds of 90s dollars, only for them to be totally outclassed by what came out a year later. I don't want to go back to the days when you could buy a brand new top of the line PC that cost $3000 and next year there were certain games/software that would run sluggishly if at all unless you turned the settings way down.

I think a lot of the nostalgia for the 90s - 2004 (ie pre social media) WEB bleeds over into things like this and I have some fantastic memories of the old days, but I wouldn't want to go back to 90s level of functionality or setups.

When it worked, simplicity.

>>What exactly made 90s computing so magical
>Your nostalgia.
>>how do we recreate it on modern systems?
>Download an iso of an older OS and run it. You won't, though, because you actually enjoy the benefits of a modern OS.
Not OP but you are full of shit. Just letting you know.

Windows 3.1 did not have this issue

You sure told him

I would say charming, not magical. Everything was very hard back then, and software bugs weren't solved by a magical patch that you downloaded 2 days after release, you had to wait until version 1.1 or paying an exorbitant amount of money to have internet.

It was pretty easy on windows 98. Not sure what you are talking about.

Windows ME had this

I went straight from DOS only to W95

If you used 3.1 you're over 40

There's no arguing with his opinion anyway. You either know they are full of shit or you dnt/

I'm 33, I used 3.1

getting a p3 in 99 to be outclassed by a p4 in 2001 was a nightmare. Meanwhile the cool kids got a ps2 and were playing games that graphically I could only dream of.

Before the Internet, computer magazines were a really big deal. They were ones dedicated for business guys, and there were ones for gamers, and they were ones for Normies, generic Normies.
You'd get a magazine, read all about the new cool stuff, and dream about it for a while. Maybe one day you'd see it on offer at a local store. Maybe two or three issues later there would be an ad for a place where you could buy it via mail order. That alone was a major difference.
With the Internet, all that died.

I'm 29, I used 3.1 and 3.11, also 95 and 98. Many countries used old versions of windows until pentium 2 machines became relatively affordable.

I'm 26 and I started my journey with 3.1 and continued with win98.

That's what someone with a stupid, brainless opinion says

Didn't see it on my Macs or Amigas. Well, except when the emulator or hardware add on board crashed.

The P3 was never inferior to the P4

Did you know the original Pentium Pro is the underlying architecture behind even today's 9900k?

Well, the P4 wasn't.

486s and such booted slowly, but never slower than 1 minute or so.
Pentium 3s and 4s running w98 and wxp booted faster than modern machines, while running on slower hard disks.

We had a big step back in that regard.

I fell head over heels when I saw pic related last week and have managed to sort of change my xfce to look like it using oomox. The colours are the same, but some things like the thick borders I will have to figure out as most windows are now thin bordered. It won't be the same experience as the vms/vax, which I've never used, for one thing I'm using mouse gestures for almost all desktop controls. As I consider myself a fairly utilitarian fellow who shuns ricing and have always used xfce straight out of the box, I'm surprised that customizing the look has made the feel of my computing experience more enjoyable.

Attached: decwindows-vms5.5-vax.png (1280x1024, 31K)

Not talking about the retarded P4 architecture, yes it overheated like the sun's core, but they were very powerful. I'm talking about speed and how games released at that time made my 99 machine irrelevant in 2001 already. GTA3 ran at 10 fps.
What made things worse was that GPUs were having the same transition and a 2000 GPU was insanely powerful when compared to a 99 GPU, and everyone developed for the strongest ones because sales.

cope

It was design simplicity and minimalism in software. Programmers had no choice but to have these things in mind because computing power was limited. The result of course, was very beautifully designed software. (Though it wasn't necessarily more stable). Today, programmers no longer have to design with minimalism in mind, so they create bloated software.

I would say the only objective improvement we enjoy today over the past, is better video streaming quality and game graphics. As for internet speeds, broadband was available in the 90's, and given how much smaller software was, even having just 2-3Mb connection felt like if you had a gigabit connection today.

In addition, you as a user had to understand more about how your computer worked, this meant the barrier to entry in the computer world was a little higher. So most people on the Web back then were frankly, on average, more intelligent.

I have answered here, zoomer.

These are your brains on Jow Forums

>Today, programmers no longer have to design with minimalism in mind, so they create bloated software.
I hope computing power hits a fucking wall for ten years or so to purge that nonsense out of the industry. 7nm or 3nm or whatever please hurry.

Is that a counterpoint?

P4 was not powerful. It as an inefficient POS. MUH GIGAHURTZ

Athlon 64 was powerful, and still is.

Now Windows destroys itself

3.1 didn’t BSOD. That didn’t come along until 95.

>counterpointing retarded assumptions
What for?

youtube.com/watch?v=h4CI9lCqgSg

Obligatory pic.

Attached: windows 95 macintosh 89.gif (640x480, 82K)

He made no assumptions, everything he said is objectively true. But you refuse to believe it for ideological reasons.

Shit was cash

Attached: images.jpeg.jpg (640x480, 36K)

Most skeumorphic designs were shit, even back then. There were a few exceptions though, like winamp.

It kind of did, between 2008 and now. Core2Quad's and even higher end Duos are still quite capable machines.

Early 90's Mac. Everything you see here fits on a 40MB hard drive. That is, the OS, the browser, Word, Excel, KidPix (like paint but more fun). With room to spare.

Attached: g6gzUyF.jpg (3264x2448, 766K)

Oh, and the 3d tank game and the ssh software.

Pretty much this. As far as the engineering behind it, you had to be smart to work with expensive, good, hardware and attention to detail was a necessity. The philosophy of "move fast and break things" would have gotten you fired, because quality was a thing back then.

It wasn't magical you zoomer, its nostalgia that makes you feel that way. They were slow, clunky, and unintuitive. People say the same about bbs boards and dialup modems from the 80s, but I would love to see a cumbrain zoomer use an all text console for more than 5 minutes without having a nervous breakdown.

So you're saying today things are better because cumbrains can be part of it?

Does the SSH software support v2 or any modern ciphers?

It supports V2 but definitely not higher than that.

>You could completely destroy the OS if you wanted
I did on win98se
Several times
Good ol'time

That sort of interface was an abominable fad.

Attached: Rhythmbox_1.jpg (1093x827, 266K)

Your tools never phoned home.

nostlagia
by getting older

your nostalgia

>women and trannys mess with my subjective attachments to older software

Attached: LUL.png (135x144, 20K)

pre-2011 Mac's GUI design was the perfection. Fite me.

The only benefits of a modern OS are compatibility. Look at how long it took most poeple to upgrade from Windows XP and 7 until Microsoft had to literally force people to upgrade and bribe companies to make their products incompatible. Obviously nostalgia is a part of why old software is idealized, but at the same time you're a retard to deny old software tended to be legitimately well designed and simpler in order to accommodate the performance of older hardware. Whereas now everything is a bloated mess because lazy devs can't get away with it.

Are you really that butthurt?

it was rad
boring grey boxes are lame

>Are you really that butthurt?
No, simply laughing at you.

Attached: 11.png (450x472, 189K)

More like UIs designed for rubber-rooming braindead stacies ruin my experience of modern computing.

excuse me, but there was nothing particularly special or good about old software design. It often was ugly and stupid.

You can't recreate it, the whole magic was due to how quickly things were progressing and changing the world around you. Nowadays the progress is all inside and you hardly see it with naked eye.

xfce with Chicago 95 theme

>Having functionality exposed is stupid

This is your iToddler brain.

Attached: 1531641966561.jpg (969x988, 309K)