Is Manjaro really that bad or are arch users just petty? Or a bit of both...

Is Manjaro really that bad or are arch users just petty? Or a bit of both? I see this recommended in a ton of places and yet it seems it's prone to break with the sound of a fart. What's your experience with it?

Attached: 1024px-Manjaro-logo.svg.png (1024x1024, 1K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rentry.co/manjaro-controversies
forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/09/08/manjaro-linux-just-made-a-massive-announcement-about-its-future/
forum.manjaro.org/t/why-doesnt-apt-get-work/62682
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was fine the first couple of weeks but using pamac the gui package manager is horrible
I uninstalled some unused software and when I went to remove orphans I found the linux and the gnu core utils as fucking orphaned packages to remove

rentry.co/manjaro-controversies

I installed and it worked fine the whole time I used it. It's quite nice to use. It's not for arch people, it's just a comfy, easy to use, preconfigured system. I don't use it anymore but I still recommend it.

I'm using it right now. It's pretty good, actually. It comes with a lot of shit I use pre-installed, so it's a slightly more convenient Mint. I've only encountered 2 bugs so far but the OS is usable.
The first issue I had happened when I was updating it after installing the OS. In the middle of the update, it just switched to fetch updates from some african servers which reduced the download speed to around 15kbps. I fixed in somewhere in the software manager GUI.
The issue I'm having right now is related to PulseAudio. When scrolling on the AudioControl plugin in the Xfce panel it immediately freezes after one scroll and then starts working again after 10-15 seconds. The "workaround" I found is to click on it then scroll on the slider.

Arch and Manjaro are basically the same. I don't know why do you guys care so much about little differences.

>rolling release distros should not be used by beginners for various reasons.
>literally doesn't mention a proper reason
jesus fuck this guy is a retarded parrot. Rolling release doesn't mean less stability as much as eCelebs would like you to believe, and Manjaro doesn't even default to rolling release mode. Normies are using rolling release software every day and it's a non-issue. Even if you have a bug of some sort it's usually fixed fast, unlike "stable release".
>you need to know how the package manager works
I've been using Manjaro for a while now and I have no fucking idea how to use the arch package manager. The only thing I know is "sudo apt update", which isn't an arch thing. You don't need to know anything other than click "software manager" and type an app name. This is as dumb as saying you need to know the terminal to use Android. Nobody fucking uses "pm install package" to install shit on android.
>Frequent kernel updates can sometimes result in issues with drivers, and you have to troubleshoot these issues.
No, if anything kernel updates significantly increase the chances your hardware will work. When I was on Mint I used ukuu to get the latest kernel whenever possible and had 0 issues for over a year.
>SSL certification issues
Are not relevant to distro issues
>Manjaro is focusing on monetizing the distro. They sell computers with Manjaro installed
Oh for fucks sake. I can't believe it took me this much to figure out this guy is a useless commie.

That's Manjaro GmbH & Co. KG to you ignorant user
forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/09/08/manjaro-linux-just-made-a-massive-announcement-about-its-future/

Manjaro has retarded maintainers.

Yes manjaro does default to rolling release mode.
You completely misread the passage about AUR helpers. You are specifically the type of person who should not use an arch-based distro.

arch for retarded children
forum.manjaro.org/t/why-doesnt-apt-get-work/62682

install debian/gentoo

It's not hard to set up arch, you only thing they're petty because you can't.
Boot it, format pacstrap, init, DE

It's just arch but with a more beginner friendly installation (which may also save you time if you're not a total beginner), nothing special about it, nothing too stupid either.

It's Arch for pussies who think Xorg will break and needs Papa maintainers to test the package for two weeks
Pretty gay and low test distro

Attached: RFpdexD.png (329x297, 102K)

Manjaro devs don't do any testing.

>think Xorg will break
Ah, not think, it does(did) break just last week. Arch is a hobby distro, install Gentoo if you want Arch but without shitting bricks or install Ubuntu/Debian. Everything else is a meme

there used to be some security issues in the past where the devs said just fix it by turning back the date.
but its pretty good, i used it for a while before. if youre good at using windows but want to switch to linux its a decent start.

You have never in your life even installed Arch.

You have not used Gentoo if you think it is at all similar to Arch.

So far from the truth it hurts, not only have I installed Arch multiple times, their own devs tell you to get ready to fix shit because things will break sooner or later, and many of them never show up on the arch news website. Stop fanboying kiddo, your toy distro is just that, a toy.
Learn how to read. Gentoo offers the true build your shit up(LFS too) unlike arch where you morons think creating partitions and installing a base-system means "control" over your computer. I'm so tired of you retards, it's a shame because while Arch is a toy, their devs know their shit but the userbase is fucking cancer.

>Gentoo offers the true build your shit up(LFS too) unlike arch
No one claims that Arch is about compiling software yourself. It isn't a source based distro like Gentoo.

Plenty of you claim installing arch is a good process to learn Linux. Are you going to deny this? What exactly do you learn more installing Arch than let's say, Debian using debootsrap?

>Plenty of you claim installing arch is a good process to learn Linux
Strawman. I never claimed this.

Why does a rolling release have point releases?

different user here.

I don't know that it's a GOOD way, but you will learn some things you didn't know before if you only ever used ubuntu. You learn what the building blocks of a usable distro are, and what each is responsible for. You won't learn how they work, though, unless you force yourself to go deeper than the installation guide.

It will only break if you absolutely abuse the AUR. Even if it's compatible, it will always be an Arch-centered so it's pretty common to have compat issues popping up, stick as much as possible to the base repos regarding system-critical stuff.
This is true tho, fuck pamac.
>you only thing they're petty because you can't.
Archbabby cant even fucking speak, color me surprised.
New kernels for new hardware. When I installed on my new laptop (Zen+ APU) I had to use Architect since 4.19 (the kernel on the previous installer image) wouldn't boot on it.

Yeah, for me, the majority of my problems arose from their custom DE tweaks breaking constantly. This was years ago, though. It motivated me to install Arch, and everything has been fine and bloat free.

I've never had to do anything to xorg, beyond installing it. What is it that you retards are doing to break it? Xorg is included in every other distro, and big surprise, you don't have to touch it at all and it doesn't break.

>Installing a package equals learning Linux.

Manjaro is bad. Their idea of "testing" software is letting Arch have it for a week and then pushing it to their repositories. No actual testing involved.

A truly tested rolling release like openSUSE Tumbleweed makes sure the updates are stable and don't break your system before they send them out. It's what I recommend.

I have to agree with pamac gui being shit

The only distro that irreparably fucked it's package manager on me.

Attached: 09750f0f876191f5b05c35cd0bb105713313a59b22959d61984c9ba79e176854.jpg (604x594, 77K)

>gnome
found the problem
i rely on it every day for 3 years now I've only had it break ONCE. And it was from using pamac gui on kde. The updater crashed and left me unbootable. Fixed within 10 minutes from chroot and I'm still running that install to this day. I'll never use another distro.

Yet that was enough to keep last week's systemd regression at bay.
You make it sound as if testing packages on linux was some sort of hypertechnical procedure instead of just having the thing running on a live environment, so they just check out for the people already running those live environments elsewhere instead of setting up who knows how many testing boxes/VMs for however configs you may want to support.
OTOH, how up to date is oSUSE? and how do they handle non-free stuff? have been curious about it for a while.

Attached: ......png (299x200, 15K)

Gentoo way is the best way.
I've always been using mixed system (stable with testing enabled for the programs I want more up to date) and never had major issues.

openSUSE actually tests stuff, so it takes sometimes a week or two for new versions to hit Tumbleweed because they are actually being tested by SUSE, not just delayed a week.

non-free stuff forces you to add the Packman repository, which houses encumbered programs and patented stuff. If you add it as soon as you install you shouldn't have any problems, but I tried adding it after installing some programs and it gave me grief last time I was trying it out. This time no problems once it was added pretty much first thing after updating to the latest software.

>openSUSE actually tests stuff, so it takes sometimes a week or two for new versions to hit Tumbleweed.
So, the same end result as it is for Manjaro?

Manjaro devs aren't knowledgeable and it shows. If you want stability you're better off on other distros.

Just install Debian or Ubuntu and keep rolling.

Nah, it is a decent distro. It's just that archfags want to feel good about themselves because they managed to hit up 3 commands correctly in a CLI during their system installation. I guess this is their way of coping for being a 24 years old virgin living in their mom's basement.

Attached: 1564361206963.gif (640x480, 1.26M)

Arch is a fresh pile of shit
Manjaro is the same pile of shit 14 days later and with green sprinkles on it

if you desire automatically installed arch there are scripts you can wget from the install disk and do it that way

where in the hell did i mention gnome in my point

How is that week of dealing with something broken not included as part of the "end result"? The end result is what the actual experience is like and clearly the two approaches are completely different. The Manjaro approach shouldn't be acceptable for anyone but hobbyists

>you will learn some things you didn't know before if you only ever used ubuntu.
I hate this meme. Ubuntu also has a minimal image and is fully customizable just like debian or Arch.

just hope you didin't have anything important on your SDD already :^)

>week of dealing with something broken
Because that is exactly what manjaro does, just doesn't do it themselves.

>Ubuntu also has a minimal image

constanzabaseballbat.swf

I've been using manjaro with i3wm for a while now and I love it. Haven't had it break at all

>a single utility crash ruined the bootloader
>ILL NEVER USE ANYTHING ELSE!!!12
youre a fucking retard

not that buy but really what else is there? what other distro has a utility like the AUR?

Let's be real here, AUR has a ton of packages but many fall into the ricing crowd or developer crowd, which is what Arch was intended for at the beginning. Debian has 60k packages and .deb files everywhere including scripts for i3-gaps and other zoomer shit like that. For me there's no reason to use rolling release distros unless your work requires it or your hardware is really brand new.

you said pamac which is the default pm on gnome. Unless you also made the fatal mistake of using pamac outside of gnome.

1. pamac is trash
2. manjaro is getting more and more commercial
3. they don't contribute back to arch the way ubuntu does with debian
4. the way they hold back core arch packages while allowing you to use the aur can break shit
5. just use arch

>Gentoo if you want Arch but without shitting bricks
what in the fuck? do you understand anything about either arch or gentoo or are you just guessing based on nerd-cred memes?

Just install arch pussy

They don't contribute back? Also, how are they getting more commercial? I don't mean them forming a company to pay their devs, but how has it actually changed the distro?

Though I have heard that those who want Arch somewhat prefabbed should just use Chakra or Antergos, both of which were fully Arch compatible. Unfortunately I think one or both of them are disconttinued.

They use Wayland. Shows how much you know.

Do you think that might be more of an xfce issue though?

im not much of a linux guy, op, but in the past i have installed linux and done stuff on them. installed some programs and browsed the web.

the last linux i installed was manjaro and i basically had no clue how to do anything at all and my superficial attempts at doing them were met with roadblocks that meant i would have to find an alternative way to do it. which is a tall order for someone who has no clue what they're doing

I use Manjaro. I switched from Arch because I see no reason to install the os from terminal. There have been a lot of updates to pacmac that really fixed a lot. I think Arch users do so to feel entitled, like somehow reading and following a tutorial makes you smarter?

It's the only distribution I'm aware of outside of Arch that KDE Plasma Desktop is stable with. I prefer Gnome but a lot of others find that KDE works better for their workflow.

Orphaned file issue was fixed 8 months ago. It's not like the devs are sitting idly by. I like that Manjaro includes codecs. I like that I get a choice to install different office suites instead of being forced to remove libreoffice just to install Microsoft Office online.

I feel like people who hate on Manjaro for being Arch lite need to check themselves into the nearest hospital and get an antipsychotic like lithium.

1) no it's not anymore.
2) how is this a negative?
3) they also don't change as much thankfully which helps compatibility, how is this a negative?
4) no it doesn't, stop using unstable untested packages.
5) fuck off.

Doesn't seem to affect Gnome or KDE for me. I dislike xfce so I tend not to use it.

I'm not him but I never had this issue.

There's all kinds of extremely niche software where the ONLY options are compile from GitHub, or use the AUR. I'd be manually checking several dozen packages for updates every week without the AUR.

Maybe, but it's not happening on Mint or Xubuntu.

I think people who argue against aur are either lying or mentally deficient.

If you want to use a cuckholders os nobody's stopping you. Might as well buy a Mac at that point.

If you want to be spied on install Windows 10.

Gnome is amazing. I'm sorry you're too stupid to figure it out.