Linux for work

Starting a new team at work, and colleagues are either Windows babbies or MacOS sellouts.

I want to force them using Linux because we're doing game servers, and other OSes simply don't make sense.

I personally use Arch at home but I know they'll put cyanide in my coffee if that's what we're going for. So I need some suggestions for an "error-proof" distro with latest gcc, so rolling preferably.

Pic is what my coworkers look like.

Attached: shutterstock_300773336.jpg (1000x667, 474K)

get them all 2019 macbooks. the macintosh fans will already have one at home so this will just be for work, and the windows fans will be publicly agitated however secretly elated.

>Arch
I hope to god that you are not using that for your server

>I want to force them using Linux
do you really hate working there that much
Just use linux yourself and then when they see how much more efficient you are they'll be sold

>I want to force others
Nope.

>Arch
Glad this is bait, otherwise you'd probably end up in a bad situation.

This is for development, not deployment. Of course we don't deploy on Arch.

Give the "macsellouts" elementary OS
And the "windows babies" mint
If you cant give them different distros then just give them ubuntu or something.

don't be retarded and just use debian stable
>game servers
actually on second thought, quit the job and get a better one at a real company that makes something besides children's toys and doesn't need it explained why windows and macos are baby operating systems

You clearly never tasted the sweet AUR cock, you faggot.

Or make it look like this

Attached: makecinnamonlookgood.png (1600x900, 1.57M)

For that salary, I wouldn't even mind sucking dick all day long. Doing important work is highly overrated.

CentOS for your server, development or deployment. If you develop on a rolling release and deploy an LTS REHL things are not going to work in the transition.

That works too,but it requires set up

>give X-user a X/10 product
okay lol

Debian for team workstations. - consistent, stable, predictable
CoreOS for authentication server. - enterprise standards with community effort
(or RHEL if you want support)
Fedora for personal dev workstation. - rolling, spot pitfalls, newer packages/kernel and features originate here that will slowly travel down to centos/RHEL

LOL
of course its the archtards that'll chimp out over this
enjoy being unpaid tech support LOL

>I want to force them using Linux because we're doing game servers, and other OSes simply don't make sense.
>force
construct an argument instead

>I want to force them
>w-why am i being fired?
This is of course assuming this isn't a LARP, which is far more likely.

> unix based oses dont make sense.
> wants windows of linux ubuntu

Thanks, this the answer I was looking for.

But using Linux on the desktop is retarded, OP. Stick to the server.

Sauce of wallpaper?

Change themes
Install plank
Put taskbar to the right
>magic

/wg/

Attached: 1562794713235.jpg (2507x1673, 727K)

Thanks comrade.

OpenSUSE for everything, servers and workstations. Tumbleweed for rolling release, Leap for stable.
Optimized KDE, simplest package managing, best documentation.
Can also get you official support if you are willing to pay for it, same as Red Hat.

Linux is a kernel. You use it it operating systems to allocate machine resources.

Attached: 1439710047999.jpg (474x352, 29K)

This. macOS is the only option for desktop use. That is why everyone uses it.

>game servers
centOS?

What are the strengths of CentOS for development, compared to OpenSUSE?

Get on my level.
Probably the only desktop OS with less share than Linux.

Attached: xl_os2warp_connect_red.jpg (1200x800, 74K)

>non-POSIX
*barf*

To answer OP's question: just get Linux Mint. It's the most like Windows and most accessible while not being a dumb Mac OS layout like Ubuntu

What you call *barf*, most of the planet calls a plus.

Attached: 1310483412100.jpg (413x395, 61K)

Never worked on game servers (not a dev but am in software) but CentOS is normally reasonably lightweight and inexpensive - and can be spun up on your platform of choice pretty easily - whether it is azure, aws or rackspace for example

No, we do what we do because we LOVE Unix.

Attached: tehi.jpg (605x420, 28K)

This

If you put your colleges in the position in where they are frustrated to work with their equipment their work efficiency would greatly suffer from this, and further more it will infect you negatively. Your Linux suggestion is valid and why don't you ask your colleges for their opinions on that topic?

Attached: 1507262456367.jpg (885x959, 122K)

Their opinion is that "Macs have better sound and graphics". Also "Windows has better compilers than Linux, that's why games are made on Windows".

KEK, btfo'ed by wagies

they can develop in a build server, or virtualization, don't be a fag

2019 almost 2020.
Not using Containers and caring what the underlying OS is.
You're doomed to fail.

>Pic is what my coworkers look like.
They look pretty presentable, what do you look like OP?

>I personally use Arch at home

Attached: 1398459182120.jpg (358x477, 32K)

The man in the sticky!

I look like a brainless Chad.

rwetard

Don't force idiots to use linux. They'll make the community worse

If I was working with mongoloids who wanted to use windows on a server I'd quit.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>Pic is what my coworkers look like.

tell them they should wash their hair more often

Listen here fucko

1) unless you're in a third world country, it doesn't make sense to use anything other than a mac

2) unless you're a cloud provider, it doesn't make any fucking sense to "run" your own racks.

3) unless you took your programming lessons in the college of athens and pythagoras was your professor and you learned pl2 on a stone tablet, you would know that you can't make any asssumptions about the hardware or software your servers run. so it doesn't even matter what the personal workstations run.

4) if you wanna be a gay fag and run arch at work, you should probably be free to do so, just expect lower pay because you're obviously a sub-performing brainlet.

5) i don't understand why you would want to force an os on anyone anyways, it's not like you'll be using their workstation. intellij looks the same on any platform.

Other OS's make sense as long as they get the job done you autist, don't fix what is not broken.

>real company that .. doesn't need it explained why windows and macos are baby operating systems

what is that mythical "real" company that spends 90% of its revenue on internal IT support and still manages to survive?

come to think of it, this is real autism, isn't it?

OP is used to something, and anything new to him symbolizes a loss of control, an inversion of his world view.

Not even joking, OP might be a literal autist. what do you do with people like that?

You are most likely not going to be able to force them to use the Linux ecosystem. It takes a decent amount of time before someone is comfortable being able to use the command line for everything, and even longer for someone to start taking advantage of things like bash scripting.

If you are really going to try and push it on them, just make them install Ubuntu. For the love of God don't make them use anything more complicated or it will just create more work for you cleaning up their messes. I know Ubuntu is bloated but look it's pretty damn good for a beginner, a lot of things work out of the box, and there is such a large community that makes fixing / learning how to do things is pretty easy.

For your server I would use CentOS or RHEL. They are both compatible with each other just CentOS is the free version and RHEL has Enterprise level support. They are both fantastic and are incredibly stable. I have worked for companies that have used many different distros and the ones that always have the least problems are those two.