Why do all musicians use MacBook Pros? Is there really a benefit to it at this point?

Why do all musicians use MacBook Pros? Is there really a benefit to it at this point?

Attached: andy.jpg (600x400, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>have windows laptop
>working on music
>I'm sorry we have to restart your computer for updates
>have linux laptop
>only freetard programs available
>audio is shit

Attached: 1568178511272.jpg (600x600, 45K)

tech savvy musicians use windows
NPC musicians love apple for its simplicity

professional software

There is not a benefit at this point beyond visual, but previous versions of the MBP had lots of I/O that were useful to electronic musicians.

>tech savvy musicians use windows
Sure, Prakesh.

Get a toilet street shitter.

Attached: 1558004153764.webm (882x984, 1.3M)

I know a lot of musician who have PC at home or in studio but a MacBook for lives

All for looks

OBSESSED

>this street shitting pajeet has been flooding Jow Forums with this trash since 2013
Seriously consider suicide you cocksucking faggot. End your worthless fucking life.

Core Audio in MacOS gives less latency within a certain buffer. Its just the OS.

Pretty much this

I'm a musician and I use a guitar

MacOS CoreAudio. It just werks out of the box very nicely.
Windows requires a dedicated soundcard just to get low latency (ASIO).

Not really. Both have plenty of quality software (DAWs, plugins). Windows probably has more exclusives, but it's not a big deal.

Apple also source audio ICs from Cirrus Logic. Sorry, but no-one is going to use your using shitty Realtek audio in the music production.

npcs like matmos, darkside, iglooghost, grimes, death grips, fuck buttons, autechre and hans zimmer?

they are expensive so they think they are better

Fuck off with your placebophile bullshit.

tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html
>Using world-class headphones, a $2 Realtek integrated audio codec could not be reliably distinguished from the $2000 Benchmark DAC2 HGC in a four-device round-up.

>Windows requires a dedicated soundcard just to get low latency (ASIO).
Its not really about the dedicated soundcard, its about the amount of information that can seamlessly be processed in each cycle of the audio buffer.
In a Live environment latency matters ALOT. In a studio, the OS doesn't matter at all.

The truth is that ASIO is just bad, its very "effective" (until you are trying to record lots of information in real time in multiple inputs) but its limits are easily met when working with lower buffer rates.

However you can get a much more powerful/less bottlenecked PC than you can Mac for a similar price - but even walking that route - in a live situation , Mac will probably be more desirable.
In my understanding its because Windows works on a request style basis, which means it is trying to be REACTIVE to a REAL TIME signal, so naturally there is a delay. Core Audio is not request based, so there is less information lost via not meeting the buffer cycle.

For these artists its totally irrelevant unless they are performing live. In the studio its qutie a convoluted process, but each channel = 1 thread + 2bus = 1 thread, 4cores=8threads, 100 channels = 100 +1 threads of information spread across 8 threads, when one thread saturates or cannot fulfil the information in the buffer cycle, all threads will stop (due to real time serial processing).

tl;dr
The real reason for Mac for audio is Core Audio and its lack of requests.

Apple used to have headphone jacks that doubled as optical outs for audio. This was not a common feature on laptops at the time. Maybe now that USB audio is a thing, it isnt necessary anymore.

This.
Plus MacOS generally being more comfy. Plus better audio card out of the box. Plus Logic X.

It's not about snake oil like quality but latency, something that's relevant when playing dozens or hundreds of virtual instruments, adding extra hardware and so on.

Also where im sat i can tell the difference immediately from flipping from a (100$) Focusrite to a (1500$) RME soundcard.
And you could probably tell a difference between a Lavry Gold and an RME.
As someone who spends 8 hours a day listening too and fine tuning distortion, I can most certainly tell the difference.

POO IN LOO

Attached: 1558827735972.jpg (643x960, 255K)

a big part of music is fashion,

what ppl wear/use

so its natural for them to use fashion tech to look good

Have you ever seen a producer? Most look and dress like a non autistic Jow Forums fags.

Imagine being a 40 year old virgin spamming this shit from his mom's basement.

Attached: 1558684101494.jpg (180x282, 13K)

so whats that like?

normal people?

ASIO is more efficient in terms of CPU usage, CoreAudio can handle less load before it starts crackling. At least that's what the tests show so far on Dawbench.

>It's not about snake oil like quality but latency
I agree, but your post was suggesting it's about audio quality.

A $100 Focusrite is garbage and maybe even worse than the integrated Realtek. Those first gen 2i2s are disgusting and I hate the internet for memeing them so much.

>And you could probably tell a difference between a Lavry Gold and an RME.
No.

>macfags are virgin losers with no identity besides their manchild toys
Truly shocking.

>No.
lol i make tunes at -4 lufs i can most certainly tell the impacts but ok

Bretty much.

>lists a bunch of literal dogshit
>muh nigger grips

Go back to /mu/

yikes

>ASIO is more efficient in terms of CPU usage,
not only this people are reporting lower latency with high end hardware too

This.
Crapple on the stage, Windows in the studio.

Do you record and mix with analog tapes?

Attached: Photo-1.jpg (4032x3024, 1.32M)

is this your studio?
if so dope stuff

the lag is a part of the soundtrack

no, this is a professional studio and me i'm poor asf
I only have a windows PC and a first gen 2i2 with terrible stability

its funny that all that gear is just going to get met with that Pro L on the screen anyways kek

>the state of macshit

Attached: 1558885551930.png (585x996, 351K)

Yeah, although the differences are really small.

Overall for a noob or someone who's going to use a laptop I'd still recommend Mac most of the time.
Windows makes more sense with a desktop and a soundcard with nice drivers like RME (which pretty much negates the advantages you'd get with CoreAudio).
Also because the choice of Mac desktops is very poor, whereas in Windows land you can build anything you want.

>USB Audio problems
see

A lot of it is about trust. Apple managed to carve out a place as the #1 platform for musicians, rightly or wrongly, and then people latched onto it and it spread and solidified the brand. Once that happens, you control a major part of the market. Apple needs to fuck up bigly to lose that market. Look at how much Apple has fucked up over the years, but iFags are still turbo loyal to the brand.

Besides, a lot of ordinary people are not even aware of Apple's fuck-ups because they don't follow tech news. Many of them buy Apple products because of the brand, not because of some objective reason. I talked to an old lady living in my apartment building just the other day while I took out the trash. She's not rich, basically has to be careful about what she buys. I asked her about how she ended up choosing to buy an iPad and iPhone. She had no real reason for it. The brand won her over at some point, and despite her limited means she chooses the brand over less expensive ones to no real benefit to herself. TRUST. She trusts the brand. "It's good." In other words, it worked for her once well enough, and she trusts the brand. Similarly, many musicians choose the brand because they trust it. It's not based on diligently using all possible systems and coming to the conclusion that they have to go with a MacBook. A large chunk of this is about subjective feelings and biases, not about anything objective, People rationalize their subjective feelings after the fact. That's how things work in the world.

When people choose a brand and become regular customers, most of them don't switch to another brand unless there's an urgent need to do so..

cope boomercore

>boomercore

Someone not listening to jungle tunes doesn't mean they listen to boomer shit retarded /mu/reditor

what does jungle have to do with what he posted lol
he just posted super faggy /mu/core artists but none of them are jungle

That was reference to death grips

>macfaggot pajeet makes shill thread
>99% of thread is just people trashing macs

MACTODDLERS

B
T
F
O

Attached: 1544121344666.jpg (748x443, 71K)

how dare you sully the good name of the amen, apache, funky and think.
may god have mercy

>t. listens exclusively to anime OST flacs

the OP is literally a picture of the guy from death grips...

>he's not

flatty noooooooo

No but that would be better than roody poo grips

Ok?

Autechre is dogshit?

>DJs
>Musicians

Digital Jackasses are not musicians. The ones that got the closest to being musicians were Daft Punk but the good parts were the ones they bought from real musicians.

Attached: 1497852439645.jpg (517x768, 103K)

>he's not listening to autechre while he codes
lmao are you even a discord tranny? i bet you don't own a single pair of programming socks.
fuck outta here nigger

based 2010 impact-font-Facebook-meme-tier boomer

Thats one I havent listened to admittedly

No I'm not a tranny. Trannies are gross. Cute little boys only

/mu/ hates hans zimmer

>good dac, good programs, good battery, good support, lightweight
this is why.

>audio is shit
agree with your other statements but i get much, much, MUCH better audio quality with alsa compaired to windows.

Y tho? At least he doesn't steal from classical composers as much as Williams.

>Thats one I havent listened to admittedly
typical fucking pleb loser

He steals just as much from Holst and Philip Glass as Williams does from Mahler and Stravinsky

I prefer real music like the tallest man on earth, and not computer beats

>"I prefer real music"
>posts p4kdrone entry level hipster garbage

Attached: smug anime girl (129).jpg (551x600, 107K)

Based autistic friendless mentally ill poster who was neglected by his parents

>TTMOE is hipster

based retard

It's from Wikipedia.

>Why do all musicians use MacBook Pros?
because they're computer illiterate morons
>Is there really a benefit to it at this point?
no benefit whatsoever.
imagine being you two talentless fucking morons that have never had to produce a second of music in your entire lives?
>Plus Logic X.
lmao. only people using logic are fucking retards. producers that do real work still use, and will only use, protools.
>It's not about snake oil like quality but latency
it's intellectual retardation like this that makes me a strong supporter of abortion, and how your parents should have ended your lives before you were born.

That’s a lot of anger lad
You can’t do anything in pro tools I can’t do in Live
Hardware compensation? Beat detective?

we need to kill this guy before its too late !!

Cry more you street shitting subhuman

I am in need of a new laptop and I do music. I've been on Windows my whole life but I want to do live electronic music so idk if i should get a Mac. My parents are completely against Mac though and will try to talk me out of it and not support it. idk what to do but i want to save up for a top of the line machine.

You should listen to your parents since they clearly understand a fuckload more about technology than you do.

If you're going to get a MacBook Pro, wait until the redesigned model, otherwise you're going to buy one now at full price and then the new one will come out and you'll either feel stupid because the new one is better or because the one you have is now cheaper.

Tell them Macs will make your music sound better.

it's really just my dad, and I don't think he knows anything about audio as it pertains to computers. A couple weeks ago I recommended and taught him how to use Audacity so he could record voice overs for a project of his as well as internet radio broadcasts. He thinks the Dell Inspirion 15 R I have is a great machine and that any problems I have with it are my own fault. I'm not saying it's a bad machine but it's pretty old at this point and there's lot of shit wrong with it, like the headphone jack being fucked, not being able to move it off my desk because it shuts off if I hold it the wrong way, etc. I mentioned I wanted to save my money to get a nice laptop and he was like "you have a nice laptop." Idk, do you guys consider a Dell Inspirion 15 R a 'nice laptop?' I'm asking cause I really don't know but I think I've heard people bad mouth it before.

>I'm sorry we have to restart your computer for updates
That's...not really a thing.

Here you go.

Attached: (you) cap.png (448x468, 194K)

Delusional Linuxtard can't comprehend the kernel he uses isn't the best thing out there. Literally cope.

>Idk, do you guys consider a Dell Inspirion 15 R a 'nice laptop?'
It's a fuckload more powerful and reliable than macshit at any rate.

Attached: 1564507951356.png (630x1300, 367K)

I use instruments for music.

> I have no talent
fixed that for you.
> OH NOES! SOMEONE IS SHITTING ON APPLEL! REEEEEE! NOT MY FAVORITE FRUIT COMPANY!
now that's coping. sooner you kill yourselves, the better humanity will become.

see: even the jannies and mods can't stand you computer illiterate fucking morons. oh today is a glorious day.

But I just told you I can do anything in love you can in pro tools kek so obviously my talent is at least equally as high
That’s got nothing to do with my post fgt

> uses logic
> thinks he has talent
you may as well be using fruityloops. at least people have some respect for fl, sadly the same can't be said about logic.

>lmao. only people using logic are fucking retards. producers that do real work still use, and will only use, protools.

Oh yeah, composers that do real work only use pro tools, never cubase or logic, just the maginificent midi capabilities of pro tools.

They probably get them for free from Apple marketing, since Apple sells a lifestyle statement instead of quality technology.

Because they are the "creative" type that love using fagbooks

>>audio is shit
learn to use jackd
>>only freetard programs available
this is a positive, not a negative

I thought it was just because of industry standard software like Logic Pro ?

Hey that's a great record!
Mind if I yell over it while a strobe light blinds some kids on E?

Because they got Mac-based setups way back in the day when Windows audio was extra potent dogshit, audio production on Linux was a mere pipe dream and Macs had a setup that more or less worked out of the box. Now that they already have a functional workflow they're familiar with and have all the software licenses set up for, it's a no-brainer to just update the system as needed and keep on trucking as opposed to spending time learning the ropes on a completely new system and/or dropping fat stacks of cash on new software licenses.

they render media faster, both video and audio.
while microsoft has been perfecting making Candy Crush more useable to 50yo's,
Apple has been focusing on media processing speed.
(this even from a non-mac user)

Attached: ableton-screen-shot.jpg (1920x963, 422K)

i fucking hate macs and more or less hate osx but osx is kind of built around using programs with a lot of sub-windows inside of it and windows really isn't, and almost every single creative application has an interface like that. which isn't to say windows users are even inconvenienced but if all you're doing is photoshop are you really surprised people go mac

i feel bad for old macfag musicians though because its just shit now

Uh, wannabe electronic musician here, and I use linux, mostly to do light editing of samples and tracks. Why?
Because there is a million+ ways to make your beats/tracks/samples/tones using existing tech and synths, and the absolute MOST you should be doing is slicing samples or finalizing edits
Do this because -
> Hardware synths, even digital ones (FM or more complex modulars that use digital FX), can handle more shit and make your sounds clean, and some even export high quality WAVs direct to SD Cards or USB
> Messing with hardware and learning to use it in real time means you can easily do LIVE SHOWS that dont sound canned
> Faster production as you spend less time learning new DAWs and plugins and more time actually using the equipment to make music

And once you learn this, and how synths and other electronic shit works (like fully understanding MIDI protocol, what ASDR means) you can pick up a soldering iron and a breadboard, read some online tutorials and do things like -
> build your own hardware effects
> Fuck with MIDI protocol via programming logic
> go full Kraftwerk and just build your own synth

Pic related is my thought when I see a guy with only a mixer and Macbook claim he's a musician using only canned samples

Attached: 1564358628208.jpg (700x876, 308K)