/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Don't dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previously:

Attached: 1501524873843.png (1500x2085, 3.08M)

Other urls found in this thread:

minifree.org
puri.sm
vikings.net
zerocat.org
minifree.org
libiquity.com
tehnoetic.com
thinkpenguin.com
alephobjects.com
0x0.st/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=rx-5700-july
thedailybeast.com/famed-mit-computer-scientist-richard-stallman-defends-epstein-victims-were-entirely-willing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Android/Linux

What are some cool terminal commands?

Attached: 1367169035818.png (1024x768, 1.25M)

reposting

>try out Manjaro Architect
>get asked if I want to use zsh, bash, or fish

What would I gain/lose from choosing something other than bash? No other distro I've tried has presented me a choice between the three.

Sometimes 1-3 scrolls on the mousewheel doesn't move me about in firefox.

It works in other programs.

What is the reason for this?

>WHAT DO I NEED TO CHANGE IN ABOUT:CONFIG ?

Why does mozilla and the general public accept that firefox should be allowed to use 20gb+ of ram and act like it isnt a problem and that you should only be allowed to run firefox and literally no other programs along side firefox?. Going from using less then 2gb with multiple static websites with scripting disabled to using over 20gb of ram with multiple static websites open with scripting disabled?

This isnt the norm and no one is taking it seriously.

Are any of the "dedicated linux laptop" manufacturers worth it? I'm looking at system76 and purism right now.

System76 seems to be the best if I want a graphics card with actually good drivers.

And purism if I want to go full gloweyboi

stop using htop

ps_mem -S

Attached: swap.png (480x19, 3K)

Bash is the standard shell. You may want to pick it for best compatibility and learning. You can pick a different shell at any time later.

I'm interested in this also. My boomer dad is worried since he knows that Windows 7 is leaving support. He knows I use Linux and he's interested in using it, since he knows that if he buys a new laptop his choices are Win10 or a Mac, both of which he hates. But he refuses to consider anything used, despite the fact that it'd save him a thousand dollars, be more than sufficient for the light web browsing he does, and be easier to run Linux on. Nope, has to be brand new. Oh, and must be a laptop, even though it'll probably never leave his desk.

>try out manjaro xfe
>after a month decide to go back to windows 10 because there are so many features missing
fuck loonix

>blaming the kernel
Inane

>consumer trash
Every professional business grade OEM is a Linux laptop manufacturer. They're all tested to run RHEL/Fedora and generally Debian/Ubuntu these days too.
>inb4 muh games muh gtx 909430934

You probably meant GNU/Linux.

>used
thinkpad
>new
dell

wget -qO- randomfunfacts.com | sed -n '//{s;^.*\(.*\).*$;\1;p}'

>dell
opinion discarded.

>no argument

While true, they generally won't be tested for quality video and sound drivers. You'll also run into numerous conflicts with open source tenets, if that sort of thing matters to you.

Dell is a really shitty manufacturer in general. Their computers are overpriced and often not upgradeable without significant effort due to their crappy soldered parts.

what is a free (as in freedom) alternative to pastebin.com?

lul just use tinkfad like all independent freethinking anons

host your own

Should i use Twinview or Xinerama for 2 monitors on the same physical gpu?(one dvi one hdmi)
Monitors are the same resolution etc, they are the same model.

If I want to write something in the style of a scientific paper with decent typesetting, should I learn LaTeX, or just write a Word doc and export to PDF?
Just to be clear, I'm not actually writing a scientific paper, but I want it to be taken seriously and be clear.
Sorry if this isn't the best place to ask, wasn't sure if I should have asked /lit/ instead but I come here more.

if this is a one time thing, just use word, because it's fairly competent assuming you have time to fiddle with it. If you're going to do more than one, learn latex, because it will save you time in the long run.

Once you've got the hang of it, LaTeX is easier for everything with considerable length. I'd only use Word (or one of the alternatives) for quickly throwing together a few sites. Nothing more.

minifree.org

Would this be a good service to buy from if I'm looking to avoid backdoors, or is it pretty much impossible to avoid hardware backdoors now?

why are proprietary drivers bad
they are made by people who know their hardware instead of by random basement dwellers

Yes, also:
puri.sm
vikings.net
zerocat.org
minifree.org
libiquity.com
tehnoetic.com
thinkpenguin.com
alephobjects.com

$ echo loremipsumdolorsitamet | curl -F file=@- 0x0.st/

>proprietary
you answered it yourself

>it's not open so it's bad
ok stallman

>they are made by people who know their hardware
so are the graphics drivers for amd and intel (and probably many others)

This is generally true. The crucible of innovation is criticism. By limiting the amount of people that can criticize their software, they limit the rate at which they can improve it.

These are all just rebranded thinkpads several generations old, except puri.sm

Is the present really that bleak? Where did it all go wrong?

it generally is for purely technical reasons - it's a basic fact known by big devs that closed-source development is worse in virtually all regards than open-sourced development, more costly, more bug-prone, is much slower. closed-source development exists because of particular laws and bad economical arrangements that are more general than software as such. and it has nothing to do with some rms philosophy

Nonfree software running in your system with kernel level privileges means no software running in the system would detect any if its malicious behaviors.

Imagine you are a hardware manufacturer and are providing drivers for your hardware for free on the internet. What reasons could you have to not make the source code publicly available?

I exactly meant intel and amd by people who know their own hardware
they will write better drivers than some ganoo neckbeards

It went wrong when Intel and AMD started running proprietary operating systems in their chips.

but amdgpu and intelgpu are open-source

Stallman campaigns for free software, not open source.

do you think freetards avoiding proprietary shit because it's bad in quality?
hell no, just look at GIMP, they all well aware that GIMP is such a piece of shit compared to photoshop, yet they prefer GIMP over photoshop because photoshop is proprietary
as simple as that

>GIMP is such a piece of shit compared to photoshop
Here we go again, jesus goddamn christ..

>image
Can you read it?

Attached: IMG_20190915_225056952.jpg (3264x2448, 2.84M)

| curl -F 'f:1=

Ever since I used Ubuntu MATE a while ago I have become positively ADDICTED to the keybinding Ctrl+Alt+T to launch the terminal. Do you have a keybinding to launch the terminal or do you navigate to it via mouse /fglt/?

I can't believe how they fucked gimp up over the last years, I'm still on 2.6.11 because the newer versions gui is so fucking clunky to use

I don't use keyboard at all.
>some software requires keyboard
no thanks

I just want to install influxdb on my debian machine. All I ever get is
>-bash: influx: command not found
The service is up and running, I've tried installing both using apt and dpkg. It simply werked when I installed it in a freenas jail.

>no source

Runnig on gentoo its under 1 gig.
Just install gentoo

Meta+Enter

you didn't type all those bullshits you just spouted?

and? that guy was asking for free as in freedom service not tor service

Good post

I'm about to set my res to 1440x768
is this a bad thing?

Yeah, TVs were a lawless wasteland until a few years ago when 1080p became almost universal.
I have a ~10 years old Sony LCD TV with a 14:9 aspect ratio. What the fuck.
And don't get me started on safe zones and overscan.
If you try to force the custom resolution it probably won't work because TVs can be very picky when it comes to PC inputs.

i clicked the button on my dictation software.

thanks for the reply.
1368x768_60 works, but it's too small.
1440x768_60 is better, but it still has black space on the sides.
1440x900_60 is something the TV refuses to display. funny.

Is there a simple way to manage packages installed from source?

Gentoo (emerge)

Depends on your distro. There is usually a way to create a package. For Debian based systems that is checkinstall.

I just create a folder called source into wich I clone the github repo, to update I do git pull and then recompile.
Or just install gentoo, it manages it for you.

learn to write a package, idiot
package manager exists for a reason

Rude

heh

Attached: keyboard.png (600x375, 65K)

who's the real idiot, one who does unnecessary work himself, or one who uses what other have already created?

Thanks, I'll look it up.

Quite.

Attached: 1568580718606.jpg (1920x1080, 1.04M)

>refuses to follow (society) standards
>chooses to become homeless instead
okay idiot

>Switch to Nvida open source drivers in debian
>There's no hardware acceleration
>Playing a video pegs my CPU at %99
Help

A friend has the XPS 13 dev editon (which comes with ubuntu preinstalled) and is a fan of it

Shouldn't have bought Nvidia.
Both Intel and AMD have very good open-source Linux drivers.

I don't understand the question. In almost every package I install from source, the instructions have you create a folder in /home/user, with everything in the folder. Hell, it ends up being better organized than just installing programs from ppa.

if i want to compile stuff from source code, should i uncomment every deb-src line in sources.list? Like is that something people do right away when they install a new distro? i dont see a lot of reference to it in source docs but they seem pretty critical

>Both Intel and AMD have very good open-source Linux drivers.
They are still shit compared to the blob though
Like a significant gain of 30%+

>They are still shit compared to the blob though
>Like a significant gain of 30%+
this is only true with nvidia because of how bad the free driver is
amdgpu and amdgpu-pro perform about the same in benchmarks on phoronix dot com

Not really.
Intel is limited by their GPUs, but AMD's open source driver has performance on par with Nvidia's closed one.
Depends on the particular game, but on average it's true.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=rx-5700-july

stallman campaigns for lowered age of consent laws

wtf i love GNU now

thedailybeast.com/famed-mit-computer-scientist-richard-stallman-defends-epstein-victims-were-entirely-willing

lol he's a scumbag and MIT just grooms raytheon nerds

>trying to do full boot/disk encryption on void
aaaahhhhh this is where I miss graphical installers

Attached: FABA02CC7ACE413196AC78919321A4C4.png (1029x1317, 1.72M)

is there a point in encrypting /boot if your maid can just install a bugged version of grub (assuming you're not using uefi secure boot)

So?

Why do you have a maid, and why does she have access to your computer?

You can use secure boot with linux

What is the language in the text written in the wall? Russian? Ukrainian?

bumpu

how do i dedicate cpu cores to a vm? what are some keywords i can google to get me started?

it's called Slavic runes, and it says "I fell in love with a girl but I don't know her name".

>he doesn't have a maid
wew

Ok so ive been trying to install debian on an old pc through netinstall, it goes as far as to detect my hardware but it doesnt detect my ethernet card, a nforce 430, and sends me to a list, nvidia says that i need to use forcedeth, which is there, but everytime i press enter it goes black a few secs and goes back to the same screen, what can i do? I already tried normal debian, nonfree firmware debian and devuan and none work

Attached: flat1000x1000075f.jpg (1000x1000, 101K)

try gentoo and report back?

Was actually planning to check out cloveros but it needs a ssse3 compatible pc, which this pc isnt (athlon 64 3000 i believe)

gonna piggyback because i have problems with this too...when i try to install debian, it doesnt let me proceed because i need firmware and says i need to connect external media to install it. is there really no way to just push past this and install it once i can get on the internet?

Have you tried the nonfree with firmware version?