"up to 12 instructions can be completed on every cycle" (vs 4-5 max on x86)

>"up to 12 instructions can be completed on every cycle" (vs 4-5 max on x86)
>5.2GHz
>256MB L3$
>1GB L4$
>12 cores 24 threads
>botnet free

Find a flaw. Oh wait, you can't.

Attached: Screenshot-155927.png (478x517, 335K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikichip.org/wiki/ibm/microarchitectures/z15
ibm.com/it-infrastructure/z/resources/case-studies
linkedin.com/jobs/search?keywords=mainframe
zdnet.com/article/with-the-world-embracing-cloud-computing-who-needs-mainframes/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what chip is it?

New IBM 15

>Find a flaw
Price
Unironically muh compatibility

It literally says z15 on the image

en.wikichip.org/wiki/ibm/microarchitectures/z15
IBM z15 microarchitecture.
made for mainframes

If this could run Windows i’d buy it right now

It doesn't do bear

Attached: 1524415879116.gif (200x200, 67K)

>IBM Z Mainframe
>botnet free
You do know that you literally can't even boot one of those mainframes without the license add-in card right? LeL

How is the x86 compadibillity?

Also zOS sucks balls.

Have to pay out the ass or unironically lease your hardware from and be slaved to one of the most exploitative yet overrated tech megacorps on Earth.

>Find a flaw
not made by the chinese so it's going to be niche as fuck

>find a flaw
Nobody can afford it.

12 instructions can be completed, but they won't, most of the time :^)
There's a reason the license terms prohibit publishing benchmarks. These machines are not nearly as impressive as you think they are, and most of their benefit comes from the insane power/cooling envelope.

Price
Compatibility
Finding a motherboard under $5000 that will run it
Being forced to use Linux

Wake me up later when you can do more than run Firefox and boast about how you have more money then brains on Jow Forums. Kek.

Oh and you can never own it, only rent it.

I'll pass.

Even if it could run windows, you can't own it, only rent it.

>14nm
>GF
wow

>14nm GF
IBM BTFO

Yeah and what's the power draw like? How's the software support? Also call me back when I can buy one for under $2000 and actually own it.

Attached: tenor_0.gif (498x498, 207K)

oh lmao.
I thought it was Intel because 10 core with EDRAM.
This could have legitimately brought Intel back, assuming they also fixed the security vulns, but I guess nope.

Sick looking chip, though. Too bad it's not x86-64 and under $1000.

>CPU is the same as the OS

That's not a POWER chip, retard.

who cares, no one uses mainframes anymore. POWER is the only interesting thing from IBM.

Attached: .jpg (1267x887, 100K)

>$
this could have been an ok thread

>Mainframes run 30 billion transactions per day, hold 80 percent of the world's business data and handle 90 percent of all credit card transactions.

Attached: 1561845247429.jpg (1890x770, 188K)

I'm sorry but it's not the 80s anymore kid. Most people have switched to Linux on x86_64. IBM even knows mainframes are dying industry. That's why they took the time to allow linux on mainframes rather than shitty z/OS.

>mainframes don't matter!

Name one major company still using mainframes. Provide real evidence.

>name one company in the business of specific data processing using hardware specifically made for that type of data processing
You're a fucking retard. IBM wouldn't 1) be on the market with and 2) continue to develop and sell this hardware if it wasn't used.

ibm.com/it-infrastructure/z/resources/case-studies

>IBM as your source
LMAO
The market has show a decline. Even IBM has stopped producing as many mainframe models as they used to.

>being this deep in denial
linkedin.com/jobs/search?keywords=mainframe

He is still not wrong
IBM is the last party I'd expect to be totally open about firmware on their machines

>POWER is the only interesting thing from IBM.
POWER is even more of a dinosaur than current mainframes and most of the features that set it apart from x86-64 are just z/Architecture hand-me-downs. If you hate one, hate them both. At least IBM's mainframes are actually powerful and have a niche, while POWER systems pretty much just exist nowadays to further exploit customers that locked themselves into IBM's ecosystem in the '90s. They do nothing particularly special.
No shit, just like desktops are dying Any Day Now because people who didn't need them in the first place are using phones and tablets.

this idiot doesn't know all his bank transactions are processed through custom mainframes because they are 1000x more secure than any other hardware platform

POWER is one of the few real open architectures out there. RISC-V is still too young and shit. POWER is still big named and not so shit.

zdnet.com/article/with-the-world-embracing-cloud-computing-who-needs-mainframes/

When AMD or Intel supports openCAPI call me.

I prefer my POWER9, thanks.

>Open
Meaningless buzzword when applied by Raptor Engineering marketeers to an architecture fabricated behind closed doors with billions of dollars in equipment by a single massive megacorporation with deep ties to the State and big business.
>POWER is still big named and not so shit.
POWER is shit, maybe with the exception of expensive HPC PR stunts where the stronger FPU can make up for the terrible integer performance.
AMD is a major member of the consortium.

>applied by Raptor Engineering marketeers
t. retard who is talking out his ass.

Raptor has nothing to do with the openPower foundation

700mm2

Stupid ass phone doesn't have a carrot

No, but they are the ones who would like to con you into spending four figures on a workstation-class Facebook machine with the same weak talking points you are currently regurgitating at me.

For OpenPOWER themselves, it's merely just a means of attempting to keep POWER somewhat relevant as IBM realizes its vendor-locked cash cow won't last forever.

>not x86

Attached: 1547588306243.png (177x176, 6K)