I'd like to know where I can learn about audio equipment and what they do

I'd like to know where I can learn about audio equipment and what they do.

I want to know more about stuff like synthesizers, modular synthesizers samplers etc.. I only know the popular stuff.

Is there some book that I could read?

Attached: c67ed4e5ee379b0b44411953868db735.jpg (736x503, 110K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dspfirst.gatech.edu
youtube.com/watch?v=R1KzFPRQp4c
youtube.com/watch?v=yVtRJZ5IweQ
youtube.com/watch?v=nxi7RwFSKEg
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

bump

I'd suggest asking /mu/ but I'd probably be dead wrong to expect them to know anything about audio production

I did, /mu/ is fucking retarded.

I'd try something relatively simple, like looking into a free DAW and understanding its process flow, how different modules hook into one another. I imagine that those modules/extensions/plugins are essentially representative of the actual physical patching going on in analog setups

Id love to see this photo without the shitty HDR. Im glad that meme died out quickly.

like how deep do you want to go? do you just want an overall understanding ("what's an ADSR envelope"), or you want to program your own DSP algorithms?

indeed. but in minor defense of it, it was borne of a time where digital sensors had garbage dynamic range, so people were (perhaps unconsciously) looking for techniques that were more film-like. obviously they went off the fucking deep end, but I can see why some of the people might have been tempted to experiment.

it might be worth looking up some of your favorite artist's setups to see what they use, and if you are unfamiliar with an item you could research that.

learn the difference between digital and analog effects/synths/recording for a start
and know the difference between a keyboard synth and a daw controller(although most keyboards are both now)eg. functions with and without a daw.

user suggested you try a daw, good idea but there is a learning curve to that sort of thing(assuming you're not already familiar)

>When you turn clarity and vignette to 100%
As a photographer this disgusts me

>DSP algorithm
how do i go all the way? - not op

start by dspfirst.com

wrong link....
dspfirst.gatech.edu

herein lies the problem, ive been an amateur producer for 20 years and i have no idea what you mean by DSP algos.

Ahh, i follow, type of badass who writes/builds synths and audio software.

As a person who is terrible at math and cannot program that shit blows my mind.

beeing a producer have nothing to do with adsr algos

That question seems a bit open ended, how are you approaching this.

>Do you want to learn about signal processing itself, or do you want to learn how production related stuff works.

I'm not sure if you want to build a sound generator/synth or if you want to know how to mic a guitar cab, connect it to software and hardware plug ins and effects, sit that in a mix and how to eq that mix?

Thats why i have no idea what that guys means. My only experience with DSP is that hardware and computer and integrated systems have computer chips and hardware inside that is rendered by those chips.

In everything from keyboards to rack effects to, guitar pedals, to outboard gear that takes rendering loads of off your computer cpu etc these days.

Did OP cut and run? i wondered if you had any more specific questions

I would like to program DSP algorithms...

/mu/ knows nothing about music production. they're a bunch of talentless fucking idiots that know nothing about everything. Jow Forums is the right place for this.

>do you want to learn how production related stuff works.

yes

>Do you want to learn about signal processing itself

yes

Building a synth is also something I'd like to know as well.

I know nothing about professional production but it is fairly easy to generate a WAV file. Easier still to leverage ffmpeg...

But the results would mostly be harmonic tones and white noise unless you know how to process signals. :/

These

Attached: 1548252672004.jpg (969x931, 159K)

I cant really point you in any direction with building a synth but as for production and engineering, youtube is key these days, my problem is im more from a rock/metal/industrial/electronica/pop and jazz background i know very little about rap/rnb/urban stuff, big into new jack swing right now though.

You should check out Tom Holkenborg (Junkie XL) on , Warren Huart (Produce like a Pro), Rick Beato, Glen Fricker(SMG), music tech channels like Sonic State, Dont forget videos with engineers like Steve Albini (old school tape/console engineering)

Here is the latestthing Warren Huart posted for example, absolute fucking goldmine breakdown of spoonman by soundgarden

youtube.com/watch?v=R1KzFPRQp4c

I hate to be that guy but, gearslutz helps, wearethemusicmakers on reddit. Just be wary that gearslutz has a reputation for being a bit high brow, if you ask them, yo gearslutz, suggest me a rack compressor for a 150 dollar budget, somebody will suggest an alesis 3200 series or similar and then you'll get 50 replies to that saying how its garbage unusable and how you should get a SSL that costs 3 grand, ignoring the fact it was say used on million selling daft punk albums.

Anybody who tells you that you cant do everything in the box with a 2 in 2 out tascam/focusrite interface, a trial daw like reaper and some free plug ins is full of shit. You dont need a 32 channel console and an RME interface. They can help though, especially if you want to record live drums and mix a shit ton of live tracking routed to outboard gear.

I started out with an atari st and cubase sequencing a cheap keyboard that went to a crappy tape deck.

The only thing that is a cert is garbage in garbage out, 90% of the secret to a good recording is having it sound great before it even gets to a computer daw. That being said some people such as Klayton( celldweller/circle of dust ) are excellent editors and sound designers even if they are not exactly a musicial virtuoso.

youtube.com/watch?v=yVtRJZ5IweQ

For example, useful tip for splicing up industrial/metal style guitars

Ideas like this pop up all over youtube

youtube.com/watch?v=nxi7RwFSKEg

Such as using a 4 track tape recorder as a kind of primitive chord playing instrument by routing 4 chords or sounds to each channel then playing them back and using the tape speed as pitch. Complete with tape noise, tape distortion and hiss for atmospherics/mood

Youtube is an absolute goldmine. There are a few music guys on Jow Forums who stay mostly away from /mu/ ive seen a few post here over the years.

Attached: Screenshot_20190728_151457_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg (1080x2340, 681K)

Attached: Screenshot_20190728_151444_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg (1080x2340, 711K)

There was a DVD series a few years back called something like classic albums, that went into how stuff was done on well known albums, like dark side of the moon and nevermind.

If you can track down any of that stuff its worth a watch, there was about a dozen dvds far as i recall, i still own about 5 or 6 of them somewhere, even a year and a half in the life of metallica is worth a watch to check out how cabs were miced, and other stuff.

>/mu/ knows nothing about music production
i go to the prod general there sometimes to try and spark creativity or do something new. But you're right, for the most part its just a lot of people who make shitty trap beats.

There are some good posters sometimes though. I have learned a bit from that place but you just have to separate the garbage from the people who actually have good advice and knowledge

Awesome, ill check this shit out too.

What stalker map is this?