Reccomended E-Readers?

What's some great e-readers that you guys enjoy?

>inb4 but muh real books
>inb4 but muh itoddler can do this

Attached: kobolibreh2o.jpg (900x900, 96K)

If you have the money, Kobo Forma. Its fantastic. Get the leatherbound case aswell, done.

Why the forma over the libra?

The waterproof Kobo is nice, read it in the bath tub. If you don't go with the waterproof one at least get a Kobo. Everything else sucks ass.

bought a boyue/jdread t63 and have enjoyed it, except for the very blue backlight which I wish was amber but don't use anyway
put harry potter on it earlier tonight

kobo is the only real choice right now unfortunately, it's not great but the way kindle locks you down to the amazon format makes it a poor choice in comparison especially considering it doesn't bring any value add compared to kobo

if you have money to burn you can try the onyx books or likebook, but again they seem more expensive than kobo without bringing any additional value to the table

size

Kobo because fuck amazon
>b-b-but you can get awound kindle's bullshit with calibre!
No!
Fuck amazon and all their shit.
That or buy some chinese stuff like the likebook mars if you want to more easily read your faggy Chinese cartoons.

azw3 is fine. You're going to have to use calibre anyways no matter what device

I got a kobo h2O mk2 as a replacement for my glo that I fucked.
It's light, right size etc., and waterproof though I've never had need for that attribute.
I prefer the size and screen of my father's aura one, though I did choose the h2O because it fits in more easily with my daily carry.
However, travelling with the aura one and its glass screen means I would have had to have been more careful to not fuck it up.
Glo lasted for years and years until, funnily enough, I took it out of the case for a few minutes to clean it or some shit and that's when I dropped it. Still works, just part of the screen doesn't register touches or does it wonky. Get a case.
Aura one is heavier and is like carrying around a small tablet. H2O is lighter and I think more durable.

I dunno how the Clara (budget model kobo) is, having only handled it briefly in store but the forma felt kinda flimsy imo.
I don't know what kindles are like these days, but at least as far as I know kobo's the only ereader with the front light temperature function. Don't undervalue this function! I struggled with the Glo's cold blue frontlight for years so thank fuck someone thought to rectify that shit.
I heard in passing the newest kindles finally have a comparable function, though I don't know for sure. Whatever you get, keep this light issue in mind, especially if you belive you'll be reading in relatively low light (bed, airflight etc.,).

i got the kindle paperwhite during prime day and really like it a lot. i just wish they had the warm light on it like the high end kindle has

I got a kindle oasis with the red light, mostly because its what i know.
>haha botnet
name a FOSS one that lets me shove a data sim in and get whispernet style shit

The Oasis and Forma are virtually equivalent. The Oasis is slightly smaller and probably has slightly more even lighting, and those are the biggest differentiators. DRM-free is a meme, don't worry about that.

>but the way kindle locks you down to the amazon format
You can literally just have your collection of epubs and use Calibre to convert/transfer them to the Kindle. Calibre's so good at tag editing and things like that that I'd probably use it even if I didn't have a reader that needed it for conversions.

Pocketbook

all e readers do exactly the same thing. get one thats relatively recent. if you want a backlight get one with a backlight.

you're gonna pirate the books anyway so the store doesnt matter

Kindle Paperwhite.

I thought about getting an ereader but man I like reading on my phone with its oled display
white text on black background feels good man

Attached: Screenshot (Sep 15, 2019 23_44_57).png (1080x2160, 237K)

Bigger is a con not a pro. These things are meant to be portable. Hell I can literally pocket my current one and I’m a skinny jean wearing hipster

Whats the best way to pirate books? I just use libgen but it doesnt have everything and I wont download a pdf if there isnt an epub availible

Attached: 1565140162511.jpg (2000x1330, 496K)

I've heard that uneven screens and lighting bleed is much more common on the Forma than on the Oasis.

I think libgen is the best one stop shop, senpai. I've sometimes found things on Google and TPB that I didn't on libgen, but otherwise that's all I got.

b-ok
myanonamouse
bookz irc (if this still exists not checked in a while)

>b-ok
isnt that just a libgen mirror

could well be

I've heard that, if you were to read in low light, an oled display is particularly bad for you compared to a fronlit ereader, an apparently even compared to an lcd(?).

That's if you find yourself reading often in low light at all. A phone is definitely more convenient as I'd prefer to just carry one device when I travel or commute.
But readers are comfy, and when using the phone I'm tempted by all sorts of other distractions like shitposting here.
The ereader blocks all that noise and helps me concentrate on the words at hand. You may not find it an issue, or you might just read in small chunks whenever you have time (on the bus/train/walk/toilet).
I have to dedicated solid time to reading shit that's not work related.
If you read "a lot", consider getting one.

>likebook mars
Are these better for manga and comics then a Kobo? Why?
And no, I do not only read manga and comics.

The IRC is alive and well.

Is there anything like an ereader but its just the entirety of wikipedia

Same here.
Every time I see an e-reader I feel like buying one, but in the end I'm sure I'll still be reading on my phone anyway. It already looks good, and adjusting the display can be done with a simple gesture if it does not. No point in carrying around an extra gadget.
And if I'm planning on reading for a very (very) long time, then that other gadget could be a powerbank, even though the battery running is not likely anyway.

Don't have any experience with the Forma, but generally the production consistency and quality control of Kobo is horrible. I sent back 5 Aura Ones and kept one that wasn't good but tolerable, just because I really wanted a ereader with adjustable light temperature.
Also software is laggy as fuck. Kindle + converting epubs in Calibre gives a better user experience than Kobo's native epub support.
Kobo is an absolute shit tier company. It's too bad there aren't many other options. I kind of dislike Amazon too.

It runs on android so accessing your favorite still-motion animus becomes easier through things like toucyyomee or just through a browser.
it's either that or go through the more tedious process of creating and transferring .cbz's or whatever the fuck format you use to the reader via computer.

I see, thank you user. I still like the cbz method though since it's cleaner.

Around when the iphone had only just come out and virtually no one actually had one, I stumbled across a strange device in a bargain bin at some electronics chain.
It was exactly that, a wikipedia device that you'd sync and then you could read articles offline.
I can't remember what it looked like, but I doubt it used even e-ink. I think it was just an LCD like a calculator. It reminded me of those electronic dictionaries the international students used in "back in the day".
Text only.

Depending on what you plan to read on it.

I personally use a Kindle Voyage, it's pretty fast loading large files and the battery lasts forever, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want to read PDFs taken from a A4 page size format with equations. Even though it 'reads/understands' all languages and mathematics/physics symbols, you will need a larger screen for some books, just because you won't have to zoom in/out all the time reading them.
For literature, go for the Voyage I'd say, it's not too expensive for what it provides

>I still like the cbz method
I don't. It's a real drag.
Have to convert all the jpgs and then have to transfer them and then have to sort them. I rarely go back to read older chapters of anything so having a copy on the device is of no benefit to me.
If I had some money to waste I'd buy a mikebook lars purely for mangoo reasons.
Still, of the tachiyomi catalogs I believe Mangarock's "gone legit".
How long will the others last?

I have a Remarkable

I have the Likebook Muses. Got it for 250CAD (I wanted the Mars but that was out of stock so I got this instead. The only difference is the digitizer in the Muses).

Solid 8 inch device with warm lighting setting. The built-in reading software is pretty bad but I use KOReader which is an android app designed for eink devices.

Much nicer than my smaller 6 inch basic Kindle that used to use.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 108K)

boox nova or note, depending on content size. They're supposed to go android 9 soon, with the max 3 halo product already featuring it.

also all e-ink displays are still firmly in control of a single company so don't expect any innovation on the display side of things. Only difference between reader brands is if they're stuck on oldtech for them margins.

I'm going to get a Likebook Mars today.
Is it really the best?

The Clara is solid for the price, especially if you can find it on sale. And it's got a nice flippy magnetic case thing for EDC. I think it's a decent choice for a travel device.

no it searches libgen and has its own stuff too. I've found stuff only on b-ok and nowhere else too.

I second this. I got a pocketbook touch hd 2 and it's pretty fantastic. Cheap, has a lot of features, it's great. The only thing it's missing is having a case sensor that opens the book when you flip the case open, but it's a just a minor inconvenience.

I really want the Forma but man, $270 is expensive. I currently have a Kobo Glo HD which has been pretty sweet but i want something newer with better grip.

>with better grip.
Do you put your glow in a case?
Might help.

For me, its the Kindle 4

Attached: IMG_20190728_120152_1.jpg (2340x3879, 2.14M)

I have Aura One, and would go for Forma nowadays if I had need to upgrade.

Kindle Paperwhite 3

Book source?
For research purposes

8" or 10" for reading pdfs with lots of graphs and figures? Also open for reader suggestions

the actual difference is 2.5 rather than 2 inches. Both display sizes have the same resolution, though, only the 13.x" screen again bumps that up.
Here is a sample of two books side by side, the contents of which you could view on a 10.3" / 7.8" screen without adjustment. (well, cropping the blank space desu, but good reader software supports that for pdf)

Attached: IMG_20190916_172523.jpg (2619x1964, 941K)

>pdf's
>lots of graphs and figures
Get a tablet.
You will be less frustrated.

Yes, install Comic Screen and Moon Reader and you're set