I'm about to go full on tech-weeb and switch to linux. What programs should I get on it?

I'm about to go full on tech-weeb and switch to linux. What programs should I get on it?
I'm mostly looking for software that's very customizable, and simple in it's design, but does what it does very well. I already use Notepad++ and Foobar2000 for example.
Any kind of program for any hobby, I'm dabbling in way too many.

Also I'll probably dual boot Windows for gaming, are there a lot of newer games that don't run on 7?

Attached: Linux_logo.png (400x192, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

suckless.org
cat-v.org
cnx-software.com/2012/03/02/how-to-install-windows-8-in-linux-with-qemu/
yandex.com/search/?text=windows 8.1 iso free&lr=103043
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You'll probably like this gay shit: suckless.org cat-v.org

It would be better if you switch to (pedo)GNU/Linux first with normalfag software and then take the redpill on minimalism. Because the differences between windows and lincucks, are fucking massive, so setting up minimalist software in your first time probably will be a pain in the ass.

Attached: A840EAAD-9F61-4300-84FA-434D8DEEB17A.jpg (750x443, 250K)

For gaming you can use wine and it works pretty well so long as your using a debian derivative. Gnome and kde are shit. I recommend learning vim and using the command line, and doing a bash tutorial.
There's a lot of stuff to know but try not to waste your time ricing your desktop and don't be afraid of using the command line since that's actually the easiest way to do things once you get the hang of it.

Windows 8.1 is my favorite for development over Windows 7. I have a windows 8.1 in a vm and also for a dual boot option.
cnx-software.com/2012/03/02/how-to-install-windows-8-in-linux-with-qemu/
yandex engine so it doesn't expunge search results and we can find a free iso
yandex.com/search/?text=windows 8.1 iso free&lr=103043
first result

This. Start with the normalfaggest shit ever (Ubuntu in a VirtualBox probably) then go from there.

If I need to run ONLY firefox in a VM, what would be the lightest distro I could install in that VM?

You should probably install Gentoo and Arch into your Linux so that it can run vim

Gentoo if you're autistic enough.

maybe gentoo dwm with a custom kernel and placebo useflags

This. First you will expect things to be the same as windows and if they arent you might get frustrated. If you slowly change to the unix way, you will realize that its vastly superior to windows way of doing things with gui and needing special software when the file system can do most of those things

Video Player: VLC, mpv
Audio Player: Clementine, Audacious
Image Viewer: NoMacs
Web Browser: Firefox, Tor Browser, Brave
Basic Image Editor: KolourPaint
Text Editor: Xed, Gedit, Kwrite
Office: LibreOffice, OnlyOffice, WPS
Email Client: Thunderbird, Geary
Firewall: OpenSnitch, Gufw
Utilities: KDE Connect, BleachBit
AMD User: CoreCtrl
Muh Games: Steam, Lutris, PlayOnLinux
Panel: xfce4-panel
Software Center: Synaptic

TinyCore. I think even with its default graphical desktop, it's only like 16 MB (not a typo). Just add Firefox and whatever else you need.

Linux need a seperat firewall?

probably puppy linux, or porteus.

Netfilter is in the kernel. Users typically use a front-end to manage it; gufw is a graphical one.

It's a per-app firewall and also blocks IP/domains. It's basically like AFWall/NetGuard on android. Gufw is just for ports.

what a retarded take. sure bash is perfect for almost all administrative work but have fun sorting through media with it or doing literally any sort of non programming work.

for anything thats not your admin/engineering job, shell extends your GUI, not the other way around

If it's sponsored by GNU, avoid it. All they touch become instantly trash and there is an MIT alternative somewhere

Arch and KDE

Arch and dwm and st and dmenu and emacs and feh and compton

Sounds like a lot of trouble to just recreate what KDE does out of the box...

>KrashDE

>N++/fb2k
Stay right where you are

>Wine
Or steam proton too which is basically that but makes it easier integrated into Steam. Steam also has some native that don't require anything special like Valve's source engine games.

You mean, switch to GNU. You can switch to just the kernel. The kernel is only a part of the whole GNU OS, by the GNU project.

Linux and GNU are just small parts of the overall systemd operating system.

sudo apt install build-essential nasm gcc-8 neofetch hardinfo chromium-browser thunderbird kdenlive obs-studio ffmpeg gparted mpv qemu-kvm ffmpegthumbnailer remmina keepass2 sweethome3d net-tools openssh-server geary git transmission cheese krita kdenlive obs-studio audacity htop ttf-mscorefonts-installer mesa-utils gdebi samba xrdp cmatrix i3 ttf-mscorefonts-installer texmaker automake sox libtool subversion libatlas3-base