I'm new to Linux and am trying to get Linux Mint 19.2 installed...

I'm new to Linux and am trying to get Linux Mint 19.2 installed, but I have an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G and Mint 19 has a broken kernel that doesn't have support for AMD APUs so I can't even get Mint 19 to boot off a USB or anything. I've tried Mint 18.3 and that boots fine off a USB but I then get problems where it won't install. I installed Ubuntu 18 so I know that works.

What do? Is there any way to get Mint 19 running on this or am I just stuck with Ubuntu till Mint 20? I've tried all the bandaid patches like Compatability mode or "nomodeset" alongside everything else.

Attached: download.png (603x600, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fosslinux.com/7167/how-to-upgrade-linux-kernel-in-ubuntu-and-linux-mint.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

*I installed Ubuntu 18 fine without any issues

Dude I was going through this too. Heres what I had to do
>on the grub menu that boots up press "e" when the arrow is over linux mint
>go to where it says "quiet splash" and replace it with "nomodeset" then press f10 to boot up
>install linux mint. you're gonna have to restart. and you're gonna have to press "e" again and replace quiet splash with nomodeset again.
>once you're in mint for the second time, install all updates. And crucially, update the kernel to the latest 5.0 version. For some reason linux mint doesnt install with the latest kernel
By this point I was able to restart and load up without having to enter the grub menu. I dont have to load new drivers or anything and in fact Mint doesnt even offer proprietary drivers for me. For some reason installing all the updates and the kernel seemed to make it work. It's a really bitch to get this OS running with AMD cards it seems.

I don't think those kernels are 'broken'? They just don't have support for your hardware. It looks like Ubuntu 18.10 is based off 4.18 which is why it works. Just use Ubuntu. Why do you want to install Mint anyway?

Or you can read this article which I Google for you:

fosslinux.com/7167/how-to-upgrade-linux-kernel-in-ubuntu-and-linux-mint.htm

>Why do you want to install Mint anyway?
I much prefer the UI on Mint and I want to use Mint Mate to squeeze out some extra performance.
>fosslinux.com/7167/how-to-upgrade-linux-kernel-in-ubuntu-and-linux-mint.htm
I can't even boot up Mint 19, let alone install it and update the kernel from within it. If I have the updated kernel set up in Ubuntu then switch to MInt, will it carry over or something? Or does that get wiped with the rest of the drive data?
I already tried this, along with a bunch of other stuff to do with replacing "quiet splash", but I still can't boot up Mint even with these fixes on.

Install Gentoo

What do you mean it won’t install?

On Mint 18 the install bar never makes any progress, the terminal just has a bunch of errors about source IDs. I'd much rather just get Mint 19 running and use that though then try and troubleshoot and find the problem with Mint 18 (which could easily just be another kernel problem like what 19 has).

Is it possible to get a mint 19 usb with an updated kernel?

why do all new cpus work on jewdows without updating anything but can't work on a fucking linux?

I think maybe I should summarise everything that I've tried so that nothing gets repeated
>BIOS is updated to last version
>Fast Boot is disabled
>Secure Boot is disabled
>CSM is set to 'Auto'
>"nomodeset" doesn't work
>Compatibility mode doesn't work
>"nouveau.noaccel=1" doesn't work
>"noapic noacpi nosplash irqpoll" doesn't work
And all the PC hardware is also new.

What does it actually do when you press f10 after nomodeset? And are you sure you’re replacing quiet splash exactly and not putting the text one place to the left or right

I know you say you tried it but nomodeset absolutely sounds like the solution if it’s not even booting up.

Also forgot to mention that I integrity and authenticity checked the ISO and that isn't the issue. When doing the disk integrity check through the UEFI menu I sometimes get an error about squashfs though but that doesn't seem to have any effect on the outcome of whether Mint actually boots or not.

the 4.15 kernel doesn't have support for your CPU. Install Cinnamon DE on your ubuntu and download mint themes and icon packs.

I'll give it another test now because there's always the chance I made a mistake before, will post update on what happens

Just install Manjaro. It's literally like Mint but not outdated.

Use Ubuntu mate 19.10

Sorry. Meant 19.04

It's working (booting) now, fuck my goddamn life. I haven't installed it yet so I'll post an update on if it works.

Linux Mint 19x is built on top of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and 99% of what works on Mint can be done on Ubuntu. whatever small tweaks the Mint team made must have fucked it over, JFC Linux is a joke.

It's a kernel issue, Not Mint's fault and the Kernel can be swapped look that up. Linux Mint literally is Ubuntu with a different desktop.

Why do they release it with an outdated kernel, though? Ubuntu releases with the latest kernel and Mint releases with an outdated one. So it kind of is their fault, isn’t it?

then install mint ui... it aint rocket science

>mint broke
>ubuntu just werks
>wants mate DE
Use the Ubuntu Mate edition, it's a lot better than Mint's Mate setup.