What is the best solution for portable retro gaming?

What is the best solution for portable retro gaming?

Attached: legend-of-zelda.jpg (500x300, 59K)

some kind of portable machine with retro games on it

pre built raspberry pi portable or a nintendo switch with homebrew

a nintendo 3ds

A girlfriend
/Thread

PS Vita

Yeah, the question was what machine?
Mine is not hackable
Can't you play just Nintendo games on it? You can't use that for psp games
I got one, that was not the question tho user
Is it worth it to buy one used? They are impossible to find new

Only if yo do not pay out the ass for it,

A New 3DS

Gameboy Emulated on a Smartphone with good battery. I think this would be pretty fun

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 10.12.38 pm.png (704x701, 510K)

>playing games on something with no buttons

PSP

New 3DS has an excellent library but it's not that powerful. Don't quote me on this (mainly because I don't own one) but I think it has a 240p display, not sure if it's the bottom one, which is no doubt pretty good for quite a few retro games without weird scaling, blurry shitty filters or annoying borders.

PS Vita as long as you get one cheap is another good option. At this point it should be hackable to a point where it's not just PSP emulators on it and has microSD adaptors. The d-pad is honestly better than the 3DS one from the last time I tried, and this comes from someone who doesn't love the dual shock d-pad design much.

Other than that I wouldn't go for a phone with a bluetooth gamepad because of latency. I tried anything 8bitdo on several phones and it's just not good. On my PC it's almost as if I'm not even playing with a bluetooth controller, but on Android it's really fucking noticeable. Not to mention you're probably going to want that battery for your phone activities, not drain it constantly while playing shit.

I wouldn't recommend other portables either, like those gameboy shaped ones they sell nowadays. They still can't get past that gen 5 barrier. They still perform like the now awfully dated dingoos and caanoos. Not gonna lie, I liked those.

Yeah I wasn't even thinking about smartphones+controller, tried it, it's shit. I was thinking about something like gpd win, it was shilled in some thread here.

It's so easy to get atari/nes&snes/gameboy libraries on a psp/psp go. Can anyone say if 3ds is better?

I'm not sure about the GPD Win. Of course Windows remains as the best OS for emulation for now but I'm not sure how it would handle that in terms of battery + the fact that more and more emudevs are focused either on newer platforms or higher accuracy. The price ain't attractive to me either, not gonna lie. PSP still handles a lot of that stuff and that thing is 30 to 50 bucks.

GPD Win 2 if you need PC games and literally any console made before and including PS2
If you only need PS1, PSP, GB/GBC/GBA and NES then PSP
Alternatively you can use an android device and a controller, but that's a bit less portable.

It's not exactly harder on 3DS, however the 3DS doesn't handle PS1 that well. However I have to say SNES/GBA is still better on it. Depends on which platform you want to emulate more.

>windows
>best OS for emulation
Lel, no. Linux is better because of a better Vulkan and oGL implementation and a more efficient OS with less overhead.

Nintendos eshop is a massive mess and hilariously overpriced. You are better off getting a flashed DSlite for $20 then you can download anything you desire.

Psp for the things the ds can't do

>Nintendos eshop is a massive mess and hilariously overpriced

You can:
1. Install .CIAs for free
2. Inject ROMs, pretty easy stuff these days
3. Use homebrew emulators

It's fairly easy, it's not difficult to find these either. I don't get why you're mentioning paying for shit when you're suggesting a flashcart (assuming you meant that) for the DS which is much worse at emulating shit or the PSP which... requires as much modding...?

With 2 weeks of testing that shit with RetroArch and the few emulators available there I have to vehemently disagree. I play a lot of shit on windowed mode and I have spent way too much time attempting to get to a point where I don't have more input lag on linux than I do on Windows. Everyone talks about how windowed mode on modern versions is fucked because of aero, overhead this and that but I'd rather not be forced to use a specific video mode to handle it well. Not to mention on linux it's a mess to try and use things like black frame insertion. It doesn't really like displays above 60hz now, does it?

Now I don't know about other platforms, I heard that somehow CEMU does run better on Linux with AMD cards, despite it not being native. The only way at which I could handle most emulators is if I disable the desktop compositing software (KWin is honestly a resource intensive piece of garbage, compton is laggy as shit) and enjoy that lovely tearing and lack of effects. The only DE that somehow made things work better for me was Unity, that one everyone hated.

A PSP with the firmware to support emulators from the fifth gen and before along with 6th gen handhelds.

Attached: Checked.png (600x762, 607K)