Now tell me, archfa/g/s

what software do you use from the AUR that is not easily installable on any other distribution?

Attached: 1568634306330.png (496x570, 143K)

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.debian.org/sid/aseprite
hastebin.com/wojocivura.shell
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's mostly useful for getting the git versions of packages.

Attached: 1557391869098.jpg (200x250, 19K)

DIgilent shit

I do that on Linux Mint. What exactly about Ubuntu or mint makes it harder to build from source, than arch?

Also you get it packged and neatly installed by the package manager instead of some unmanaged manual install.

Of course you can install anything that is on AUR on any diatribution. But you don't get it as a package automatically.

It just automates it, and makes it basically as trivial as installing any other package.
It also gets tracked by the package manager, making for a clean uninstall.

build scripts already exist so you can build a package out of it
that's the point of AUR

hydrus, aseprite

packages.debian.org/sid/aseprite

>It's for up to date packages!
what new features in particular do you need it for?
>I'm fucking better than you!

BitKeeper

Don't you need to manually add programs 1 by 1 from PPA in ubuntu?

Old version, aseprite got a lot of good features and fixes after that I use, also changed license, can't distribute binaries anymore so it can only be on AUR

ioq3, but that's not the only one.
The package /sometimes/ works on other distributions, and the version from the official site is always broken for gnu/linux. AUR makes it easy to grab the git version.

(me)
i also don't currently don't use arch, btw.

When I build from source in Ubuntu, there’s usually one command that gets you all the files you need. The install instructions just give you a line to paste.

i3-gaps

It's easy, if you don't have something in repos then it's most likely in the aur

A few. It's nice to have it all automated. Looking at the list reminded me, what should I move to from keepaxx2? It's qt4 dependency bothers me as hell.
$ yay -Qqm
barrier
barrier-headless
fbcat
gallery-dl
im2a
keepassx2
megatools-git
mpv-git
mumble-snapshot-minimal
nct6775-master-dkms-git
obs-v4l2sink
otf-sfmono
pandoc-bin
phantomjs-bin
qt4
smloadr-git
split2flac-git
ttaenc
vim-git
vscodium-bin
waifu2x-converter-cpp-git
yay
youtube-dl-git

it's all fun and games until something breaks. I'm going back to fedora

Here are some:
android-ndk
ahoviewer
citra-qt
ddgr
cquery
curlcpp
dxvk
freetube
godot (with c-sharp)
i2pd (debian doesn't include the library files)
ikos
lbry-app
libolm
mingw-w64 libraries (cross-compilation)
mpv-git (need for vapoursynth)
msbuild
nheko
qt-inspector
trizen
svp
zeronet

and then some software that exists in arch regular repos but not in other distros:
zerotier
raylib

also there are software that are outdated on other distros. Also a lot of software i use are not included as libraries on other distros, only the end-user software is available (i2pd being an example).

>When I build from source in Ubuntu, there’s usually one command that gets you all the files you need. The install instructions just give you a line to paste.
That means you have to go online and look through installation guide, making the experience similar to windows. On arch you search through terminal and install it directly.
If the software updates and you fetched the gito repo manually then you need to go to every git repo on your computer and check if they have updated and update them. Aur does it automatically for you and fast. Also aur automatically fetches dependencies and installs them as well (if you use the right tools). This is usually an issue on debian-based distros where you dont have the required dependencies installed. Also as others have said, you can track these packages in your package manager and then also uninstall them from there.

Wait, Arch can automatically install a program from the latest source code on GitHub? Is that what you guys are saying? That sounds fucking crazy if true. Can Manjaro also do that?

Gzdoom
Quakespasm
Eduke32
Chocolate doom for classic doom stuff
Other random programs that don't make it into repos

No you still have to either download the PKGBUILD if you're lucky that someone already wrote it or write the PKGBUILD for it yourself (even though it's trivial compared to say, Debian).

>If the software updates and you fetched the gito repo manually then you need to go to every git repo on your computer and check if they have updated and update them. Aur does it automatically for you and fast. Also aur automatically fetches dependencies and installs them as well (if you use the right tools). This is usually an issue on debian-based distros where you dont have the required dependencies installed.
I don’t know, I mean If you already built from source once than a simple git pull in the build folder and update should take care of most of it

ma boy using raylib, i hope your program ends up in a great place

What are the git versions for?

Nothing. Arch does the same shit as every other distro. The only difference is that Arch doesn't get in my way with a bunch of automated and opinionated cruft.
>inb4 but install so hard, breaks so much
K

>using fedora to avoid breakage and bugs
lolno, if you want a stable production system you'll have to stick with Ubuntu LTS or RHEL user.

You could use the same argument for all software on your computer. Why have a package manager at all? then you see why it's a bad idea. I mean, it's fine if you only need 1 or 2 packages from git, but not much more than that, and those packages might have to be rebuilt when their dependencies have updated or you get issues with running your program because of missing libraries. That's something that aur would automatically fix for you as it would track the changes.

im the kind of person who on windows, likes to download a totally new zip every time a new version gets release. so im not really the "update" type im more of the "get the totally new version" type

I use python-keepmenu-git which is a dmenu/rofi front-end

theyre the newest commit on the master branch as opposed to the latest release version

None, I don't use the AUR

This. Arch good, the AUR is cancer I use only when I have no other good options.

i don't use arch for the aur you fat mouth breather

Quartus. This fpga dev environment is a pain to set up otherwise. You have to create an account, download a tar from intel, extract it and run the install script manually.

>then you need to go to every git repo on your computer and check if they have updated and update them.
I think it's kind of fun to do that.

dxvk
pcsx2 1.5 there is only 1.4 outside of aur

openttd-jgrpp
zerobrane-studio
ahoviewer (also on nix but nowhere else)

pacman -Syu

True.

Unfortunately, Debian does not have i3-gaps. Why not?

Attached: 1551845248301.png (201x250, 5K)

>tfw no AUR for void

You can compile your own with a patch, I am sure of it.

megasync, bitwarden, protonmail bridge

keepassxc uses qt5

too many to even post here
hastebin.com/wojocivura.shell