MacOS

How many people on Jow Forums like MacOS?

>It's certified UNIX
>Package managers like Homebrew or MacPorts allow for easy installation of thousands of packages
>It still supports commercial software like MS Office, Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop etc.), AutoCAD, etc.
>Very solid and polished GUI, with very useful features like Expose, trackpad gestures, Spotlight, Quick Look, etc.

Attached: macOS-Catalina-System-Preferences-Apple-ID-hero-001.jpg (3360x2100, 783K)

I just can’t fucking stand those big ugly app icons. It drives me crazy and makes it unusable for me.

What is this, some kind of shitty sales pitch?
Also, where do you think you are? Did you not see her at the top of the page?

Attached: 1562738258861.jpg (1384x1507, 248K)

Useless OS. iToddlers not welcome here. Install Gentoo.

I'm about 70% of the way there to switching to MacOS from Windows 7.
The only thing holding me back is Apple hardware costing way too much and being non-upgradeable.

I did the Hackintosh thing many years ago and it requires constant fiddling to get it to work and stay working, which at that point I might as well just use Linux.

This is officially and mod sanctioned an "iToddler BTFO" board, you have no place here.

Its alright i guess,the hardware is shit (hackintosh is cool but can be a pain),its package managers is somewhat small,and i wish i could do some real customization but nix+support is a winning combo.

>certified UNIX
it's only for the naming convention and doesn't make it more unixy than lunix

I like it. Runs well on me hackintosh. Don't know what to think about Catalina yet. Worth upgrading, or should I wait for 10.15.1, since it's probably buggy as fuck until then...

You can change the size of the dock or set it to hide.

No it's a question.
>Also, where do you think you are?
I'm on Jow Forums which is the technology board. Are you butthurt because I'm posing a technology-related question?
>Did you not see her at the top of the page?
Paeophilic Japanese cartoons? No I didn't see them; I saw RMS in the sticky and that was it you dumb fuck. If you want to post about Paedophilic Japanese cartoons, fuck off to

Apple products are not technology. Try

>it requires constant fiddling
not really, occasional fiddling... but that's the fun part of it.

macOS is best UI ever created, PERIOD!

Linux and Windows fags will always seethe, knowing they can't even come close in terms of Usability, Design, Compatibility, Performance and Features.

macOS + iOS (iPadOS) = Innovation of the Future!

Attached: macos-mojave-ios12-macbook-ipad-pro-iphone-x-apple-books-pdf-markup-hero.jpg (1560x850, 349K)

I have the Mac mini. It is very nice. Silent, fast, fairly cheap for a Mac.

>MacOS feature rich
I see you don't know of kde plasma

Used to like it, I used hackintosh El Capitan/Sierra for a while. Software wise it had plenty of stuff I actually liked and I didn't feel the need to rice it or do stupid tinkering (other than what was needed for hackintosh). For a while I had a thinkpad x220 and I had hackintosh on both, it was pretty convenient but a bit slow on the x220 and pretty fucky. Not to mention it's an OS that benefits more from gestures than keyboard shortcuts and non-official touchpads on hackintosh are some garbage.

I stopped using it because there is a good amount of games I do play and only run well on Windows, simple as that. I'm not a fan of dual booting either. Or games on macOS with wrappers, it's awkward when a game runs like absolute dogshit on low settings on hackintosh and it can run perfectly on Windows at high settings.

This, buy used Mac mini or iMac, the ones with Thunderbolt 3 can be used with an eGPU giving you all the power for your gaming needs

>Homebrew
>can't even be run as root anymore.
hahahahahahahaha.

Yeah. Hate Windoze & stopped using Linux desktop a long time ago now. Thank fuck for homebrew too. Still use *nix backend stuff for work.

I like the top menu, the rest doesn't really suit my taste.

Has no hardware support.

why would you need root for homebrew? just chown the necessary files/folders

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-16 at 14.39.52.png (556x103, 27K)

I do.
Was a windowsfag for a long long time until I had to use a mac for work, never looked back.

pros: stable, fast, never got a virus, hadn't had to format o reinstall anything in over 6 years unless I wanted to upgrade OS.
cons: unupgradable, hyper-jewed laptops. lack of decent vidya.

Talking from experience, always wait til .2. Even then it might be a little buggy, but it's the safest thing to do and honestly from what I've seen in the latest major updates it's never really necessary to upgrade as soon as possible.

I mean shit, what does catalina have?

I have used KDE 4 and KDE 5 Plasma DE.

The KDE Neon is good in terms of UI and Features but it still lacks Compatibility regarding GTK and glibc libraries, which depends on GNOME Shit.

Qt Programs runs better than GTK though but it's only my opinion anyways!

I see the paid shills are here. This is everyone's daily reminder to use a hackintosh. It's easier than ever on desktops. Took me under an hour to do a vanilla install and didn't need any additional drivers, bootloader setup, etc. Everything is stock, everything works. And Apple doesn't see a penny from me. Not only do you get to use a pretty decent OS which is literally the only selling point of Macshit, you get the pleasure of knowing that you're cutting into Tim Apple's profits. And you get to be smug as shit about it and make Applejeet cultists on Jow Forums seethe like crazy.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 8.42.04 AM.png (1600x1200, 2.42M)

Holy shit imagine getting this triggered because someone can afford a better computer than you can.

Attached: laugh3.jpg (780x439, 24K)

Does your PC/Laptop support HDMI out to TV?

Using hackintosh is just as bad as buying a mac. Even if you didn't pay for it you're still sucking the shit from Apple's taint.

>I mean shit, what does catalina have?
side-car or whatever it's called. But, don't own an iPad, so not really interested.

I'll probably install it on a separate disk just to check if it's worthwhile. I already have an early version of the beta (which is not usable yet)

Btw, it seems to create 2 different disks per installation

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-16 at 14.45.42.png (424x214, 33K)

Supports all the ports on my graphics card. I'm using a VGA monitor right now. So yes, it'll do HDMI out to a TV.

Shut up freetard.

>lack of decent vidya.
You can actually get a fair number of games on Mac, and also you can just dual boot with Windows if there is a Windows game you really want to play.

>Does your PC/Laptop support HDMI out to TV?
do older Apple Macbooks support it? At least we didn't pay to get fucked over...

Also, there is a way to fix it via shiki

Imagine getting this triggered as fuck because someone can afford a better computer than you can.

I don't see any freetards here, itoddler.

Windows program support is still miles ahead. Why the fuck would I use a Mac?

In what way is a Mac a better computer

Don't have a lot of experience with it, but I have used other people's Mac's before, and although I don't like it quite as much as linux, I'd be willing to try it out, since the software support it very appealing. Once I'm out of college and have some money, I'll probably try it out full time. Just not sure if I'd go MacBook with a docking station or get a iMac, or whatever they call their desktop.

I already tried hackintosh, but I couldn't get it to work on my AMD cpu.

Yes, we get these advertisement threads about once a day, sometimes more. Pic related. Reminder to report.

Attached: IMG_20190327_114208_174.jpg (1280x853, 272K)

So then what do you have against macOS itself?

>muh software selection
Runs all the same shit I used to run on Linux and has a better, lighter web browser than Firecucks.
>muh gayemz
Grow up.
>muh non-free
Grow up.
>muh drivers
Works on my machines.

>*NIX OS that can also natively run important commercial software like MS Office and Photoshop
>Much better touchpad - multi-touch and gestures are very powerful for OS navigation
>Higher quality displays - high res, P3 colour gamut (25% more colours than sRGB which is standard on many Windows laptops), high brightness
>More rigid chassis with aluminium unibody construction
The first one alone is why many developers use Macs.

Macs are definitely not perfect, and neither is Windows or Linux. But each of them has their advantages.

Imagine getting so triggered that you keep repeating your ad hominem non-argument over and over.

Very, very sad. But I guess we can't all be intelligent.

>doesn't trust user to install software then close terminal
>doesn't trust package maintainers to not put malicious code in build scripts
Is this what passes for package management on macos?

>Grow up.
Haha. Some of us use our computers for things besides facebook, champ. I work for a small company that does embedded devices. The entire purpose of macos post-2010 is to push users to get locked-in to the iOS platform, we wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. Get in business and you'll learn why the proprietary non-free crap Apple pulls is a problem for every other company

Thanks for answering, user!
Just one more question:

I have a HP laptop of specs:
Intel i5-6200U (6th gen)
8GB DDR4 RAM
2GB AMD GPU

Will it support hackintosh? I am afraid because I don't have Mac nearby to download the installer.

Thanks!

fuck off so󠛡ybo󠛡y this is not Jow Forumsapple

Also, performance. My hackintosh runs smoother than my windows on the same hardware.

what's your point? Everything works without root support. What would be the advantage of using root?

Buy me a MAC and I will maybe use it.

Not an argument faggot.

Imagine seething this hard, Jesus fucking Christ this is pathetic.

What the fuck are you even talking about you absolute nigger? I use macOS and I own zero Apple devices. macOS has nothing to do with iOS. They're two completely different platforms.

>Will it support hackintosh?
Probably, as long as the AMD GPU is supported. You'll just have to do a little research on your own. The best way to hackintosh is to check other forums where people report success with various systems and buy one of those. Also you'll probably need a USB wireless dongle for laptops. Everything on my X230 works except that, so it needs a TP-Link adapter. After you install the driver and reboot it's plug and play.

STOP REPLYING AND REPORT
WE HAVE THIS SHIT LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE DAY

Attached: Screenshot_20190910193304.jpg (1440x2560, 651K)

>certified UNIX
implying that it's a positive feature or relevant
>Package managers like Homebrew or MacPorts
so 3rd party shit to fill a gaping hole
>supports commercial software like MS Office, Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop etc.), AutoCAD,
If you care about being able to run a variety of software, you'd use Windows
>Very solid and polished GUI, with very useful features like Expose, trackpad gestures, Spotlight, Quick Look,
>useful
>trackpad
laptop faggits. nobody uses a laptop unless they have to and just about everyone packs a mouse because touchpads are objectively shit.
But since the average mac user is a high school girl, productivity beyond posting their latest thottery isnt of high concern.

Also, mac is swirling the drain. Apple releases new iDevices every year like clockwork, but only occasionally, and begrudgingly updates mac hardware.
Macs days are numbered. They are doing cannibalization of their users from Mac to iDevices right now. The latest, cheaper iPad is evidence. Cunts and grandma don't need a computer. They can move them over to the iDevice ecosystem so they can spy on them and take a 30% cut of any applications they purchase in the walled garden.

Mactodlers should see the writing on the wall. Apple has forsaken them

No, you don't understand Apple's business strategy. The things that should be standardized by now on their platform (APIs, network protocols) are instead kept proprietary because the code is shared with iOS. That's the only reason they do it, otherwise they would have assimilated into yet another Linux distro by now.

Thanks!

And what exactly is the problem with this? Unless you're developing applications for macOS/iOS why would you care?

I use Arch. I've had Macs. I don't like a closed source walled garden.

If you're using the platform then it matters. What happens to those developers affects you in turn because you're using those applications and have to bear the downstream effects of their decisions.

So what exactly does any of that have to do with the price of pig shit in Pennsylvania?

I use macOS as a desktop OS and I can write code on it for other platforms just fine and then send it over remotely to another box running a different OS to be compiled. Everything is compatible since macOS is mostly POSIX compliant. All my code that I write on my hackintosh also compiles fine on FreeBSD 11, Debian 10, and OpenIndiana. I would imagine if I wanted a graphical front end for my programs I would just need to do a rewrite in Motif or Qt or something to run it on other Unix-like systems.

But again, who cares? I don't do macOS specific development.

sadly, you are correct!

>requires constant fiddling
if you setup your bootloader correctly, you just update it and few kexts that you need before major update and that's it

Qt is fine but that only works up to a point. If you want to do anything complicated you need to use some apple-specific API. Reminder that Qt also is built on top of these proprietary APIs and so they can still cause you trouble.

true, i may switch to linux once mojave is deprecated because apple hired pajeets to do catalina.
for now macos is still the best desktop experience though.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-16 at 16.46.35.png (800x573, 407K)

I dual boot it as my "serious mode" OS where I can't be distracted by muh games.
But nowadays, I don't play games anyway so there's no real point to it anymore.

Anything it can do, Windows can do better. It's the many small utilities windows has that make it irreplacable.

Catalina will probably mess up a lot of developer software that still occasionally depends on 32bit software. I see the "This software hasn't been optimized for modern macOS yet" message pop up more often than I like.

I think it's safe to just stay on Mojave for as long as you can. Wine will probably break too, since most windows applications worth running are 32bit.

Not him and I've not made a Hackintosh but I understand that things like Wi-Fi / Bluetooth / Audio are the things that will cause the most problems, because Apple only writes drivers for the specific chips that they use, not the many chips out there on the market.

You're the saddest faggot in the world.

>Catalina will probably mess up a lot of developer software that still occasionally depends on 32bit software. I see the "This software hasn't been optimized for modern macOS yet" message pop up more often than I like.
Indeed, I get this all the time. Why the fuck are Apple removing 32 bit support? What positive reason is there for this?

They'll have to maintain less I guess.
And I think they're doing the same on iOS, where this kinda makes sense since 32 bit devices can't run the modern iOS versions anyway.
But on macOS? This is a horrible choice. But I bet the luddite fagrumors posters still love it.

Windows can still run even the earliest win32 software from 25+ years ago. The 32 bit versions can still run some Windows 1 and 2 Software. That's a GOOD thing. But Apple is Apple, they want to cut costs while increasing prices. And if that also means you have to buy new software because your old version that satisfies your needs perfectly and has a UI you're used to no longer runs, that's even better.

yep, that's the only thing that bites me the most!

I like Mac OS, grew up on classis Macs and were using them till 2015. I want to get a new MBP but having to spend $400 for a 512GB SSD when I can get a 1TB NVMe for $110 is putting me off, not to mention the shitty user restriction of the hardware.
I think I'll go for a Thinkpad this time.

Is this bait or is it actually possible to game on a Mac? Genuinely it’s the only thing stopping me from putting my Windows PC in the garbage.

It's 2019, most steam and gog games have mac/linux ports

Very gay post

Thy might be ported but how do you know they are good ports and not laggy Pajeet dogshit? I’m gonna have to research Mac gayming.

they both perform better than windows, but minimal linux distro is still the best for performance. there is no minimal version of mac os

> spend your money on overpriced and poorly built hardway, goy!
> yes, goy! spend all that money just to use a crippled GUI and software you can get on PC
sorry, iTODDLER. this may come as a shock to you but: Jow Forums has higher standards.

>I mean shit, what does catalina have?
SwiftUI, everything else is off-putting, especially completely removed subpixel font rendering

>I think I'll go for a Thinkpad this time.
good machine. most laptops blow the mbp's out of the water in terms of performance anyway. seems pointless spending all that money on a mbp when you could buy any pc laptop that blows their shit out of the water.

>completely removed subpixel font rendering
gay, now my second monitor will have shitty fonts.. I'll just stay with Mojave.

Also, are you sure it's completely removed? Maybe they just hidden it behind a terminal command

>Also, are you sure it's completely removed?
Well not exactly but it's clear that their trying to, pic related
>Maybe they just hidden it behind a terminal command
That command still works but it looks like total crap

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-16 at 17.40.01.png (780x295, 93K)

I am on 10.4.6 right now, so I guess it won't make a difference

Pic related, this is how the fonts look on it. It's not too bad I guess, could be better.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-16 at 16.45.31.png (703x821, 239K)

oh, also noticed they are talking about UI elements.. I guess they mean this. It does look fucking shitty.

I guess they want to nudge their userbase to upgrade to Retina displays lol

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-16 at 16.47.19.png (189x47, 24K)

no subpixel looks blurry af, deal breaker for me

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-16 at 17.50.31.png (688x847, 321K)

>They'll have to maintain less I guess.
I don't see what there is to maintain. They don't have to maintain 32 bit versions of their own apps of course, they're all 64 bit.
>But on macOS? This is a horrible choice.
Indeed. It's fucking stupid. It's this sort of shit which pushes me away from using a Mac anymore.
>And if that also means you have to buy new software because your old version that satisfies your needs perfectly and has a UI you're used to no longer runs, that's even better.
I hope this isn't the reason, but it probably is.

Like others have said though, USB Wi-Fi adapters can work.

So you admit you have no argument? Enjoy being thick.

Steve Jobs was so proud of the fonts, now they shit all over it.

I think he should have made Ives CEO retroactively, not that real life fag...

What version are you on?

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-16 at 17.07.34.png (400x134, 17K)

>completely removed subpixel font rendering
What the fuck is wrong with Apple? They used to have the best font rendering in the world, then Windows overtook them and now they're all like "Let's just sell high res screens and fuck over our font rendering algorithms".

I get it. On a 5k screen, Fonts look great even without subpixel rendering and at that point, that makes font rendering a lot faster.
But then why not have a simple condition: If resolution > whatever or PPI > whatever, turn off subpixel rendering, else keep it on.
It's this sort of pragmatism that apple really lacks. Bring everything down to the lowest common denominator. The marketing department will sing the customers a song of wonder and magic and they'll police themselves, any though crime that dares to suggest that such terrible steps backwards are not somehow better for you in ways you can't possibly understand (Are YOU a hundred billion dollar company?!) will be punished.

>But then why not have a simple condition: If resolution > whatever or PPI > whatever, turn off subpixel rendering, else keep it on.
It's obvious they want to force people to upgrade to newer models. No other explanation.

nvm, ignore this. It looked shitty because video was playing in the background.

font rendering seems still fine

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-16 at 17.11.57.png (201x89, 34K)

You do have subpixel rendering reenabled? It's still there in spotlight for me at least.

It looks decent, but I have never used it.
Unless someone else pays me to use it I won't use it.