I have a six year old computer at this point running on a full loop that has allowed me to OC very high and extend the...

I have a six year old computer at this point running on a full loop that has allowed me to OC very high and extend the usefulness of this rig for a few extra years.

i5 4670k
GTX 780
16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

alas, my GTX 780 is giving up the ghost and cannot hold a stable OC anymore and is even showing occasional hickups running at it's base clock.

As it comes time to build a new computer i find myself wondering if it's really worth the money anymore. PC gaming has been dying a slow death for a long time and the last time i even bought a game was ARMA 3. AAA titles for the PC have become hit or miss as they shift to being console exclusives. I find myself looking at a new $1200 build and scoffing at the price tag. Is it a viable option to keep my current mobo, processor and ram and simply swap in a new GPU without bottle necking it? i would be removing my water cooled loop and going back to basic air cooling.

Attached: 1566782990422.jpg (2040x1556, 815K)

What do you use the computer for? If you don't have high demands you could just get a Ryzen CPU with integrated graphics (GPU acceleration and can handle old games just fine).

>As it comes time to build a new computer i find myself wondering if it's really worth the money anymore.
No it isn't, there isn't anything worth the upgrade cost anymore, you're better off spending the money on a beater car or a used bike, was in your shoes like a year ago and decided to upgrade, now rarely if ever use the PC to do anything besides shitposting and media server bullshit, things my old PC could've done effortlessly.

Get a 1060 6gbs if your card dies, not really worth going beyond that.

Attached: zx600.jpg (1280x960, 542K)

Also this, a 2400hg runs most old shit pretty well even at fHD.

>What do you use the computer for?
i play some dota 2, might pick up borderlands 3 and generally use it as a media center. i occasionally use it to edit video from my drone and to edit photos fairly frequently. i've had a good gaming rig as long as i can remember so moving away from one feels like a very foreign idea. i don't think i would mind spending like $400 if i can keep the rest of my hardware and just upgrade the GPU.

i do want to buy a bike next spring after i get my current car fixed. it currently needs about $1k worth of repairs.

A 4790k and a a hefty overclock is a massive upgrade for very little money. GPU ain't cheap but a second hand 1080ti or new 5700 will give you the best bang for your buck. If vidja gamez ain't doing it for ya sell your desktop and consider what else you even use a PC for

if i'm going to buy a new cpu i'm going to build a whole new system but that's not something i really want to do anymore and as far as i can tell the 4670k is holding up fine for my gaming needs. it's just the GPU that is crapping out.

Why do they text each other in bed?
t. incel (male)

Maybe I'm getting old and shitty, but it seems like gaming in general has been getting worse. I find myself preferring the same games I grew up with over shiny new turds.

As far as console vs PC goes, I prefer PC since I can play just about anything for free but will also go for Nintendo consoles since it rubs my nostalgia boner the right way.

i've been mostly playing free games lately like apex and dota. none of the AAA titles feel like they're worth the money anymore and if i'm going to buy one it might as well be on console.

Because Ben "14/88" Garrison is also an incel

>insecure mitigated CPU

Get rid of it.

what psu do you have? i would go for a used 980 ti.

some gold rated corsair. 650w i think.

but what bike?

NEVER BEFORE HAVE I WANTED TO FUCK A CARTOON BUT I WANNA FUCK HER ASSHOLE HOLY SHIT

>giving up the ghost
ask me how i know you're a kraut

i'm not but my grandfather was.

>and extend the usefulness of this rig for a few extra years.
There's nothing wrong with that machine even at stock. It's still better than 90% of Steam user base. Games are meant to be ran at medium, the majority market.

you could look at the upgrade with a different approach: improving performance whilst reducing the power usage.

if you go from 600w system to 300w you would saving a few hundred $ per year, which would justify the investment if you don't upgrade for a few years.

besides, software is constantly being made more inefficient, so you will at some point have to upgrade even to web browse.

dear god I love that pic OP

>There's nothing wrong with that machine even at stock.
the GPU is starting to die even at base clock speeds.
i have a 4,000w grow room in my basement. power usage is not a major concern for me lol.

M8 the CPU is only 4c4t meaning it will choke on anything even half way new . The GPU is actually fine for 1080p once you keep it under 3GB vram. Not bad considering it launched in 2013, but as the OP said it's dying and needs replacing

i'm still running a 4670k but upgraded my r9 290 to a 2070. it runs even VR titles very well (the forest, assetto corsa, etc)

good to know. this is what i'm leaning towards but the 2070 super

>16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Wow. It's not just ram. It's Corsair Vengeance™ ram!

Dare you underestimate "GAYMER" RAM®?

How much vengeance per second does it do?

>reddit spaces
>rig
Why did you even come here?

"Massive upgrade" gives you about 10% more performance than the 6-core 980/990Xs...

For all this talk about "not worth it" the reality is a 3700X based system with a 1070 is going to be about twice as good as what you have.

it may be worth upgrading just to jump ship on intel before you sit on the box you have for a decade or so.

i don't buy amd. had way to many problems with them in the past. i dont care if the ryzen chips are more powerful i just hate AMD with all my passion at this point of having so many fucked up products of theirs over the years.

enjoy being stuck with a botnet pc i guess? I find google to be the most usable of all the search engines and constantly have problems with the others, but that doesn't mean I should be using google primarily.

>implying every PC isn't a botnet in 2019

Attached: 1367378996187.jpg (460x460, 55K)

i5 (4c 4t) will bottleneck you hard.
Add 4770k or 4790k and upgrade a gpu (1080 or 1080ti depending on what you find cheap). Keep ram, mobo, storage, cooling. Voila - you're good for 4 more years

Corsair™ amount of vengeance / rams*second

just get a new gpu, seriously. the processor and the ram are fine.

The processor is not fine. It’s going to bottleneck the fuck out of the gpu.

I can't believe Ben actually made a good political cartoon for once.

Wtf are you talking about. An the 4790k with an OC will be a huge improvement on his 4c4t chip. I have no idea where you got 10% from.
I have Corsair dominator. I put them in dual channel for double domination. The FPS didn't know what hit em

Not true, that CPU will run just fine.
When it comes to games, barely anything uses more than 4 cores. Single core is still more important.

Are you from the past?

because ben garrison lives in a society

You realize this isn’t a guessing game or matter of opinion right? There are websites that check hardware capabilities for bottlenecks and that 4670k will massively choke a current gen GPU. There is no point in buying a new gpu without buying a new cpu. If he’s going to buy a new cpu we’re looking at a full rebuild with the exception of the case and power supply.